Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Zen86

I think that's the point though, Keepers have been allowed to cheat unchallenged for year, some penalties they were 2 or 3 yards off the line, harsh decision on DDG in this instance but make sure you are on the line
See the post above. If that’s the stance then keepers just lost any hope of saving penalties.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
See the post above. If that’s the stance then keepers just lost any hope of saving penalties.
and? a penalty is a punishment, its not supposed to be easy to save, keepers need to get better at it without cheating then, that's what training is for

Stactix

and? a penalty is a punishment, its not supposed to be easy to save, keepers need to get better at it without cheating then, that's what training is for
So players shouldn't be allowed to dance around when taking a pen.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
So players shouldn't be allowed to dance around when taking a pen.
I have no problem if they ban players doing that either but it makes no difference, keepers need to stay on the line until the ball is kicked, its not that complicated

forevrared

I thought VAR wasn't meant to re-referee the game. If the ref is stood there watching it and doesn't call De Gea coming off the line, why has VAR got the ability to re-referee it in that case?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
De Gea didn’t come off his line. His foot was on the line. The retake was a fecking joke.
keepers like Mark Crossley and Dave Bessant could save penalties without coming off their lines years ago, practice them, its really not that complicated, no need to move forward other than the fact they have got away with it for years

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I thought VAR wasn't meant to re-referee the game. If the ref is stood there watching it and doesn't call De Gea coming off the line, why has VAR got the ability to re-referee it in that case?
FIFA edict the keeper coming off the line on penalties must be done via VAR now where as last season PGMOL chose to ignore it and have the Lino do it, who never did anything, same as our refs being made to go over to the monitor, they want the same process used universally

forevrared

FIFA edict the keeper coming off the line on penalties must be done via VAR now where as last season PGMOL chose to ignore it and have the Lino do it, who never did anything, same as our refs being made to go over to the monitor, they want the same process used universally
Well, that explains it but it's still a load of shit.

padr81

Supports
Man City
VAR's job is to point out clear and obvious errors, missing a goalkeeper being off the line is clear and obvious. yet again the tech and the VAR is not a fault the stupid rules are.

Zen86

more were being saved than there used to be, in large part because keepers were coming off their lines and cheating
If we’re going to analyse every penalty taken, then let’s stop the game and rewatch every corner taken to look for a bit of shirt pulling here and there too. Get VAR up for every physical encounter and through ball while were at it.

Nobody would have complained about that penalty being saved, nobody.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
If we’re going to analyse every penalty taken, then let’s stop the game and rewatch every corner taken to look for a bit of shirt pulling here and there too. Get VAR up for every physical encounter and through ball while were at it.

Nobody would have complained about that penalty being saved, nobody.
I think Palace would had you come back and gotten a point or more, don't you think?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Because it's such an arbitrary thing to decide that the referee doesn't have judgement over. Either it's a rule that's enforceable by a referee, or it's not.
the Linesman or Assistant ref was supposed to make sure the keeper stayed on the line all along but they constantly failed in that duty, that's why VAR now checks it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If every penalty is put under the same scrutiny I might be on board but we all know it won't be. Teams will have the GK standing in front of the ball and feck all will happen.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
If every penalty is put under the same scrutiny I might be on board but we all know it won't be. Teams will have the GK standing in front of the ball and feck all will happen.
when it comes to the keeper and the line, it will be

Anustart89

Did they change the rules on VAR, because last season it was very clear that VAR would check player encroachment but not GK encroachment. And now they're rolling back penalties for a foot being an inch off the line (but not for Palace player being inside the area on the retake)

Josep Dowling

keepers like Mark Crossley and Dave Bessant could save penalties without coming off their lines years ago, practice them, its really not that complicated, no need to move forward other than the fact they have got away with it for years
Thats not the issue here. It was retaken as supposedly he was off his line. The replay was
inconclusive so how can it be retaken.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We were, but that’s besides the point. The decisions were a complete and utter farce regardless of the result.
The point was that we'd have gotten something out of the game without the penalty. I disagree with that. It put us out of our misery.

stevoc

Did they or were there just no VAR cameras around back then to pick up on it?

Having penalties retaken for the keeper having their foot slightly off the line is nonsense. If they're charging out and both feet are off the line fair enough, but there has to be common sense applied.

billdrama

I think use of VAR in PL so far this season has been better in general. Red cards correctly given at Newcastle and Chelsea yesterday, and one overturned at Crystal Palace last week.

The handballs is obviously a big change but that's clearly coming from FIFA so can't blame the officials for that - aside from if they'd done a better job last season FIFA might have had less grounds to assume full control of the system.

The situation with goalkeepers off the line is a difficult one. It used to be the keeper had to keep both feet on the line so the new law is more generous to them and the likes of Allison yesterday proved you could save a penalty staying on the line. I guess you have to have some fixed measurement like offside because a vague 'the goalkeeper shouldn't come too far off the line' would just lead to ambiguity and inconsistency.

A goalkeeper saving a penalty is a dramatic moment so I wouldn't want every one to fall into the routine of us standing around for half a minute to confirm if the save was valid or not. Hopefully with time keepers will get used to abiding by the laws. In theory there wasn't anything wrong with the Premier League's approach last season of taking it ouf of the hands of VAR and asking the assistant to judge it - apart form the assistants didn't intervene at all, even for obvious breaches.

ti vu

Playing exactly by the book, if the penalty taker scores and GK off the line, would it be retaken?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
VAR has nothing to do with it. Rules are clear it was a handball and De gea was off his line. What do people not understand?
The rules, they don’t understand the rules. All this place ever has is “wah wah they are applying the laws of the game and not just making random decisions to please me.”

ti vu

The rules, they don’t understand the rules. All this place ever has is “wah wah they are applying the laws of the game and not just making random decisions to please me.”
It's really something though, given how this had never got applied this strict. Would change a lot of result over the year. I am pretty sure P.Cech is half the time off the line before penalty takers kicked the ball. Only rule bound big name GK I never saw breaking this rule is Neuer.

Gawge

My issue is that it is incredibly hard to apply the rules of football in any other way than in 'real time'.

The keeper-off-the-line thing, the goals ruled out for offside, the handballs etc... are all correct decisions and fine. Any issues you have are with the rules of the game.

My issue is more with the unfair application of VAR. Yesterday in the Chelsea/Liverpool game, in the last 10 minutes Abraham went through and was offside but the linesman kept the flag down - in the end, the attack fizzled out but Chelsea retained possession in the final third. Without VAR, Liverpool would have had possession. Instead, despite being offside, Chelsea retained possession in the final third.

Football is a fluid game, a throw-in can lead directly to a goal, but VAR never looks at incorrect calls on which side receives the throw-in. It's all a bit miso-mash.

VAR isn't going anywhere, but I think it should be reserved for genuine 'clear and obvious' errors (i.e. probably getting involved less than once a game).

Reactions: Penna

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
VAR has nothing to do with it. Rules are clear it was a handball and De gea was off his line. What do people not understand?
I don’t understand why rules are being changed to accommodate VAR and certain things, but not all are being Micro analysed without the need, because it’s leading to the massive hole VAR is taking football down, all the while still getting involved or sometimes not involved in subjective decisions which does not improve the game at all

mancan92

I don’t understand why rules are being changed to accommodate VAR and certain things, but not all are being Micro analysed without the need, because it’s leading to the massive hole VAR is taking football down, all the while still getting involved or sometimes not involved in subjective decisions which does not improve the game at all
Rules have always changed every season regardless of VAR. Literally every season so it's not something new for rules to change or new ones to come in. It's just we have a tool that is aimed at making sure rules are enforced.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's like offside, it's a binary decision: either the GK is over his line or not. Once you make var police these things they have no choice, but to repeat penalties like Palace's, even if de Gea's overstepping was more of a technicality. One can of course ask whether it is necessary to apply VAR to these calls, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a penalty repeated for overstepping before VAR was implemented.

Last edited: