Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

cyberman

That's the question isn't it ? How much do they wanna extend the notion of "clear and obvious" ? This is all a joke. Better return to the normal if it's implemented like this.
You only say that now. Wait until we have players clean through that are flagged off by an out of position linesman then we'll realise how great it was having offside players actually being flagged for offside.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You only say that now. Wait until we have players clean through that are flagged off by an out of position linesman then we'll realise how great it was having offside players actually being flagged for offside.
Not talking about offside obviously. I like VAR for offsides, however close they are. I'm talking about the crazy fouls that are clear and obvious on replays but that referees won't correct because they'd be afraid of losing grade.

Roberto420

Whatever happened to the daylight rule regarding offsides? Attackers getting the advantage never happened but defenders are definitely getting the advantages now with VAR.

Rafaeldagold

How do we know for sure the exact moment the spurs player put Son through? VAR is so bad for the game as is being proven week in week out as many predicted.

mav_9me

I don't think the cameras and frame rates are good enough for this level of splitting hairs for offsides. That's just nonsense.

Poor implementation of VAR like this is more damaging than no VAR.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not talking about offside obviously. I like VAR for offsides, however close they are. I'm talking about the crazy fouls that are clear and obvious on replays but that referees won't correct because they'd be afraid of losing grade.
Agree with this. The offside decisions today were fine and correct. It's the disparity between necessarily being strict on objective decisions and willfully being lax on subjective ones that irks. That difference will always exist but the PL have exacerbated it by creating a system that regularly fails on subjective calls.

Though on the subject of tight VAR offsides, it would be fairly easy to introduce a greater margin of error by using the width of the red/blue lines VAR use, if that's what people want. As it is it's an offside if the blue line is visible behind the red. One could easily say that for VAR to overrule a decision there must be no overlap between the two.

Le Red

This is the shittiest system ever. Refs have all the reasons in the world not to review their eff ups.

Le Red

Agree with this. The offside decisions today were fine and correct. It's the disparity between necessarily being strict on objective decisions and willfully being lax on subjective ones that irks. That difference will always exist but the PL have exacerbated it by creating a system that regularly fails on subjective calls.

Though on the subject of tight VAR offsides, it would be fairly easy to introduce a greater margin of error by using the width of the red/blue lines VAR use, if that's what people want. As it is it's an offside if the blue line is visible behind the red. One could easily say that for VAR to overrule a decision there must be no overlap between the two.
Exactly. Just like the ball has to completely cross the line for a goal to be validated.

Le Red

Perfect use of VAR in the Bayern Leipzeg match yesterday.

Penalty given to Bayern but VAR consulted the referee to relook at his decision and he decided it was too harsh and the challenge wasn't worth a penalty.

Overall it took 1 extra minute for the ref to make his decision after viewing it again. Perfectly reasonable and accurate use of the available technology.
That's what I always say. The system is good, the humans behind it are too often stupid. People say shit about the technology when in reality the mistakes are made by the humans who they wanted to handle the game with no control whatsoever in the first place.

Lee565

They are going to have to do tweaks with var because it's becoming more of a negative than a positive for me, that spurs decision was really dumb and a lot of penalties being given and goals being ruled out are coming from clearly unintentional and unavoidable hand ball decisions.

RyRy11

Sick of people moaning about how close offside decisions are.
Especially when if you took VAR away the exact same wrong decisions would be made regardless. VAR at least gets roughly 99% of the calls correct when it was down to solely the linesman before. People are basically moaning at something that gets more offside calls correct than a linesman, because it doesn't get 100% of calls correct and then want to go back to traditional officiating. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Rafaeldagold

Sick of people moaning about how close offside decisions are.
Well the reason is how do you know for sure it’s actually offside?
How do you know exactly when that Spurs player played the ball through?

It’s all so pathetic, a great intrusion in the game to find out 0-1mm offsides.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Especially when if you took VAR away the exact same wrong decisions would be made regardless. VAR at least gets roughly 99% of the calls correct when it was down to solely the linesman before. People are basically moaning at something that gets more offside calls correct than a linesman, because it doesn't get 100% of calls correct and then want to go back to traditional officiating. Makes absolutely no sense at all.
No, people are moaning because we are using technology to actively get things wrong.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Another week goes by and it's given us more reasons as to why we should either be using it for everything or not at all.

What pisses me off is that they're actively deciding what influences a game more when choosing what VAR should look at and what it shouldn't.

For example -

The Son offside to take a goal away - fine, checked.
A yellow card that could have been a potential red - not checked.

Why? That to me is basically saying that Tottenham not going 2-0 up benefits Leicester more than if Tottenham went down to 10 men. How are they judging that? Who is deciding this algorithm behind the scenes?

You either need to use it for everything or not at all as the current system isn't fairly used. I'm for reversing incorrect decisions, I'm against actively not pursuing decisions that are questionable when the technology is there to do so.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Another week goes by and it's given us more reasons as to why we should either be using it for everything or not at all.

What pisses me off is that they're actively deciding what influences a game more when choosing what VAR should look at and what it shouldn't.

For example -

The Son offside to take a goal away - fine, checked.
A yellow card that could have been a potential red - not checked.

Why? That to me is basically saying that Tottenham not going 2-0 up benefits Leicester more than if Tottenham went down to 10 men. How are they judging that? Who is deciding this algorithm behind the scenes?

You either need to use it for everything or not at all as the current system isn't fairly used. I'm for reversing incorrect decisions, I'm against actively not pursuing decisions that are questionable when the technology is there to do so.
Who said they didn't check the potential red card? I wasn't really paying that much attention this morning to the game but any potential red card is automatically checked by VAR so I doubt they didn't check it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Who said they didn't check the potential red card? I wasn't really paying that much attention this morning to the game but any potential red card is automatically checked by VAR so I doubt they didn't check it.
The fact that in the 'rules' of VAR it says it only checks direct red cards. From my understanding of the 'rule' it's if the referee is debating a red or not or if he's given one.

If they do check it then what I am saying is they need to tell us everything they're checking. They can't or shouldn't hide stuff.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Well the reason is how do you know for sure it’s actually offside?
How do you know exactly when that Spurs player played the ball through?

It’s all so pathetic, a great intrusion in the game to find out 0-1mm offsides.
1MM or not it’s offside...

There is no grey area.

Rafaeldagold

How is disallowing an illegitimate goal ruining the game?
Illegitimate bloody hell its all so pathetic. If as a defence you’ve let someone score & they happen to be 1mm offside then tough luck.

So much fake outrage over such a pedantic problem

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That Son offside call looked too close to overturn the goal, at least from the angles I saw. They should favour the attacking team if it’s marginal like that. Have you guys seen clearer angles on that?

The Leicester disallowed goal was clearly offside so they got that right.

jackal&hyde

One of the best things to have happen to football for a long time. Mistakes will still happen, but far fewer then before.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Illegitimate bloody hell its all so pathetic. If as a defence you’ve let someone score & they happen to be 1mm offside then tough luck.

So much fake outrage over such a pedantic problem
You take issue with me stating an offside goal is illegitimate? I didn’t come up with the offside law...

Maybe we should also let teams score goals that are almost over the line too.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The fact that in the 'rules' of VAR it says it only checks direct red cards. From my understanding of the 'rule' it's if the referee is debating a red or not or if he's given one.

If they do check it then what I am saying is they need to tell us everything they're checking. They can't or shouldn't hide stuff.
From the PL website:

The VAR will also check for possible red-card incidents for which the on-field referee has awarded a yellow card or no card at all.
They check everything that is potentially a red card. The way you say would mean they aren't allowed to check stuff the ref hasn't seen which wouldn't make any sense and going against a large part of VAR is for. They check anything that could possibly be a red card, whether the ref gave a red, yellow, or missed it entirely. They check it.

They have told you, it is on their website that they check every possible red card situation. What more do you want? Refs don't publicly tell everyone every thought and decision they have and make during a match, why would you expect VAR to be any different? The rule is to check it so they checked it. They are actively watching the match, not staring at a wall waiting for the ref to ask them to watch a replay. You've either misunderstood how it works or been told the wrong information.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
From the PL website:

They check everything that is potentially a red card. The way you say would mean they aren't allowed to check stuff the ref hasn't seen which wouldn't make any sense and going against a large part of VAR is for. They check anything that could possibly be a red card, whether the ref gave a red, yellow, or missed it entirely. They check it.

They have told you, it is on their website that they check every possible red card situation. What more do you want? Refs don't publicly tell everyone every thought and decision they have and make during a match, why would you expect VAR to be any different? The rule is to check it so they checked it. They are actively watching the match, not staring at a wall waiting for the ref to ask them to watch a replay. You've either misunderstood how it works or been told the wrong information.
Fair enough, I read it wrong in that regard as to them checking it.

I think they should be completely transparent with the audience about what they're checking. I expect VAR to be different because it has the capability to publicly tell everyone.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
From the PL website:

But they don’t check a yellow that could/should lead to a sending off.

If a player has been booked and then should receive a second yellow that doesn’t get checked does it?
Only straight red incidents

C'est Moi Cantona

I warmed to it after the world cup, and CL last year, but now I'm not sure, it seems to be been used badly in the PL for whatever reason, and is certainly not making the game more enjoyable/interesting to watch, it just seems to be change for the sake of change, which is never good.

Johan07

Its a problem that the PL has decided to not use the same principles for application of VAR as the rest of Europe.
I guess its kinda British somehow that. Keeping the GBP, driving on the left and all that.
Its not helping though to make ones own system of application. It just makes it looks worse when supporters all over the world is watching the PL. Better not to have VAR at all then.
To be completely fair VAR is something you have to get used to. But when you are trying to use it in a way it was not supposed to; it backfires.
For me; you either have it and apply it full out - like the rest of Europe - or you dont have it at all and stay with just goal line technology.
What the PL is trying to do now, by setting their own standards - as well with the idiotic proposals about giving "leeway" or whatever to offside calls on here - does not help.
It actually makes it worse.
The PL should just decide to apply VAR as its done in the rest of Europe or decide to skip it altogether. What is happening now is not helping. At all.

Rista

There would be no issue with using VAR even for 1cm offsides if the technology was there. But it isn't and football needs something way better for those tight offside calls.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Its a problem that the PL has decided to not use the same principles for application of VAR as the rest of Europe.
I guess its kinda British somehow that. Keeping the GBP, driving on the left and all that.
Its not helping though to make ones own system of application. It just makes it looks worse when supporters all over the world is watching the PL. Better not to have VAR at all then.
To be completely fair VAR is something you have to get used to. But when you are trying to use it in a way it was not supposed to; it backfires.
For me; you either have it and apply it full out - like the rest of Europe - or you dont have it at all and stay with just goal line technology.
What the PL is trying to do now, by setting their own standards - as well with the idiotic proposals about giving "leeway" or whatever to offside calls on here - does not help.
It actually makes it worse.
The PL should just decide to apply VAR as its done in the rest of Europe or decide to skip it altogether. What is happening now is not helping. At all.
:lol: I think you’ll find Britain drove/ rode on the left before the french and other Europeans started to use the right.

I agree with you var should be not used here and there though

Withnail

With the introduction of VAR the off-side rule is no longer fit for purpose imo. An attacker's shoulder being 1mm ahead of the defender in one freeze frame ruling out a goal isn't exactly in the spirit of the game.

When you take into account Jonathan Wilson's view that the margin for error due to the frame rate is over 13cm then the off-side rule definitely needs to be looked at again.

In relation to VAR in general, it isn't perfect and often it seems the vid refs err on not over-ruling the on-pitch ref. Hopefully when it's reviewed they take on board feedback from the players/managers etc and make changes for the better.

I'm all for technology and it works well in other sports so I'd rather it was tweaked rather than ditched.

Johan07

With the introduction of VAR the off-side rule is no longer fit for purpose imo. An attacker's shoulder being 1mm ahead of the defender in one freeze frame ruling out a goal isn't exactly in the spirit of the game.

When you take into account Jonathan Wilson's view that the margin for error due to the frame rate is over 13cm then the off-side rule definitely needs to be looked at again.

In relation to VAR in general, it isn't perfect and often it seems the vid refs err on not over-ruling the on-pitch ref. Hopefully when it's reviewed they take on board feedback from the players/managers etc and make changes for the better.

I'm all for technology and it works well in other sports so I'd rather it was tweaked rather than ditched.
I would find it quite interesting to see a game or even a competition where the offside rule was completely abolished.
To be quite fair its not a very logical rule to begin with.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But they don’t check a yellow that could/should lead to a sending off.

If a player has been booked and then should receive a second yellow that doesn’t get checked does it?
Only straight red incidents
And that is the key as there are far more instance of yellow cards possibly leading up to red cards than direct red cards. The whole thing is flawed from the go