Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Baxter

At least Neville is right with the offside. In no way can you introduce a tolerance.

Eplel

Really intuitive from VAR to have the line for Giroud in red colour and the line for Maguire in blue colour.

Jev

You have to say, even though it benefited us today, that these calls weren't what VAR was made for. No team in our situation today would have looked at those goals and felt hard done by. Absolutely killing the game (though it helps when it rigs it our way).

matt10000

At least Neville is right with the offside. In no way can you introduce a tolerance.
Spot on you are either offside or you aren’t.

Just heard commentator saying but its hard to score and we love goals......well make the goals a bit bigger then!

cyberman

Giroud was a good foot offside and williams was pushed. If youre mad about this youre just mad about VAR, if anything this is a shining example of why it was introduced

Jev

Spot on you are either offside or you aren’t.

Just heard commentator saying but its hard to score and we love goals......well make the goals a bit bigger then!
Well, back in the good old days when common sense prevailed, you used to give the benefit of the doubt to the attackers because people were rational and realized that football was a game of fine margins, and that metres, not margins, were the problem in terms of offside calls. Regrettably, VAR has killed common sense.

cyberman

Well, back in the good old days when common sense prevailed, you used to give the benefit of the doubt to the attackers because people were rational and realized that football was a game of fine margins, and that metres, not margins, were the problem in terms of offside calls. Regrettably, VAR has killed common sense.
Forwards never got the benefit of the doubt now. Come on. Its why they tried to introduce daylight and that fell on its ass as well.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Good post but they rarely did get the benefit of the doubt. Officials were usually too scared to give the goal.

Brophs

The One and Only
Best repeated use of video since I paused Basic Instinct to get a look at Sharon Stone's fanny.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was a Chelsea fan then I'd be more annoyed at Maguire not being sent off than either of the two disallowed goals.

Amarsdd

I don't understand why people are complaining, VAR is the best thing to happen to PL ....
:lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If I was a Chelsea fan then I'd be more annoyed at Maguire not being sent off than either of the two disallowed goals.
I second that motion, pretty much given up on the premier league this season though anyway after Spurs pen on the weekend.

Also had enough of the big Spanish teams continually whining to the referees. Though at least in La Liga the referee takes a look and makes the decision with VAR, not like the premier league refereeing overlords in stockley park...

Jev

Good post but they rarely did get the benefit of the doubt. Officials were usually too scared to give the goal.
Yeah, you're right. Probably more correct to say that people used to say you should give forwards the benefit of the doubt. And now they say rules are rules and there can be no in-between. Shows the attitude change created by VAR (which I utterly disagree with).

Brophs

The One and Only
Maguire was just trying to straighten his leg to hold him up. By the penis. Case closed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest, thought it was a 3/3 correct decisions from VAR today. Maguire just about didnt kick out enough (extend sure, but didnt extend quickly to make it look like a kick out). Their goal started with a nudge from Fred (not enough for a foul), but Azpi fully extended his arms with force which made it a clear foul as he pushed Williams out of the way. Offside was obviously offside.

Ibi Dreams

The commentators I heard were saying that the Chelsea goal should definitely have stood and it was ridiculous that it didn't. I didn't really think so? Hard to see but it looked like Azpilicueta got a slight nudge, when he was already going to shove whoever it was anyway. It didn't seem to put him off and it seemed like he was already going to do it. The foul on our player was definitely much clearer than any foul on him

Would like to see it again to see how I am probably wrong

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Chelsea got screwed on the Maguire red card situation, but the rest of the decisions were correct, and neither would’ve been seen if not for VAR.

Anustart89

He used two hands to dampen a collision made inevitable by the Fred shove. It's a blatant mistake, the fact that it benefited us doesn't change that.
And after he's dampened the collision he extends his arms again and obviously pushes him off balance as he's going to clear the ball, which allows him to flick it on instead of Williams.

montpelier

I thought the push was a 50/50 call. I thought Maguire was a definite red card.
The offside is offside but tough to see for any lino.

Doesn't feel like a great night for VAR.

Maguire decision is clear to us all? How do they decide oh no, its fine.

Ibi Dreams

Isn't it fun how we will continue to talk about these things after every game forever

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If the Premier League was serious about VAR they would stick their so called "elite" referees in the VAR studio. The problem with VAR is it's implementation and it doesn't help when you have incompetent silent men as the ultimate decision makers, as witnessed tonight.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Seemed an obvious red, not seen the second, third was obviously offside.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Honestly I think this is true. But I'd be howling for a red if it was against us.
Yes i also fully believe Maguire, he was definitely scared for his life and had to protect himself. 2 out of 3 for VAR which is good, too bad the one they missed may have been a game changing one playing with 10 for 70min.

Josep Dowling

Giroud was a good foot offside and williams was pushed. If youre mad about this youre just mad about VAR, if anything this is a shining example of why it was introduced
Exactly. Just seems to be pundits trying to cause controversy. A lot of them were moaning when wrong decisions were being made every week. People are now moaning because goals are being disallowed. They would rather see goals rather correct decisions.

There needs to be minor tweaks but I think overall it has improved the game.

montpelier

This 10cm thing is going to draw lines behind where attackers have their feet?

No one is going to complain when it happens I'm sure.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yes i also fully believe Maguire, he was definitely scared for his life and had to protect himself. 2 out of 3 for VAR which is good, too bad the one they missed may have been a game changing one playing with 10 for 70min.

If some great lummox is about to fall on you then you do stick your leg out to stop him. Unfortunately it was into the man's goolies so looked bad.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought the push was a 50/50 call. I thought Maguire was a definite red card.
The offside is offside but tough to see for any lino.

Doesn't feel like a great night for VAR.

Maguire decision is clear to us all? How do they decide oh no, its fine.
If the ref told VAR "I saw the foot go up and it made contact but I didn't think it was deliberate enough" then it's not that easy for VAR to say the ref was definitely wrong. They may well have thought it was a red but that's not enough for an overturn.

Another example of a decision that should have been referred back to the ref to have a look at himself, methinks.