Gaming Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Poor Taka

Few moments in this game are generally good scripting and Lady Adachi is probably one of the better characters in the game.
the bit before that when Jin is finally captured was pretty awful. So all it took was a distraction and a random bloke to walk up behind and whack him over the head.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
the bit before that when Jin is finally captured was pretty awful. So all it took was a distraction and a random bloke to walk up behind and whack him over the head.
Yeah I thought that was stupid too.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah I thought that was stupid too.
especially since in the cut scene between Khan and Jin's ex pal, it sounded like they had come up with a far more nuanced scheme to capture him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
especially since in the cut scene between Khan and Jin's ex pal, it sounded like they had come up with a far more nuanced scheme to capture him.
Yep. “He’s too hard to kill. Maybe we don’t have to kill him”.

Then they just bonk him on the head from behind. They could literally kill him whilst he’s knocked out but they tie him up :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I agree with people saying Jin is such a boring soulless character. Combat and graphics are great, but if they make a sequel which I hope they do, they really have to step up with the writing and change the protagonist.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finally finished it today. Enjoyable game!

Some screenshots I took along the way.

AaronRedDevil

I agree with people saying Jin is such a boring soulless character. Combat and graphics are great, but if they make a sequel which I hope they do, they really have to step up with the writing and change the protagonist.
They can just improve him. Give him a bit more humour and personality as he hangs out with his new friends or whatever. Dont know why people always say, get a new guy. I really like Jin but I agree he's a bit boring. But of course he is. He's a fecking samurai. Watch dogs tried that and look how that turn out. A bad ass guy in the first game but then him they changed him to some stupid annoying hipster.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Just finished this, I fecking loved it, my favourite game this year so far. I think I'll go for the platinum now too don't think I have too much stuff to clear up.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That Khotun Khan armor is so ridiculously OP. I'm sorta glad that I finished that particular side quest only after finishing the main story. Now I just go in the camps and clear it without taking much damage.

Bojan11

Today I am very excited to reveal Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, a new online cooperative multiplayer* mode that will come as a free download for Ghost of Tsushima owners on PS4 later this year.

Legends is an entirely new experience — it’s a separate mode that doesn’t follow Jin or the companions from his journey, but instead focuses on four warriors who have been built up as legends in stories told by the people of Tsushima. Ghost of Tsushima’s single-player campaign focuses on an open world and exploring the natural beauty of the island, but Legends is haunting and fantastical, with locations and enemies inspired by Japanese folk tales and mythology and an emphasis on cooperative combat and action.

We designed Legends to be an exclusively cooperative gameplay experience. You’ll be able to partner up with friends or via online matchmaking and play Legends in groups of 2-4 players. Each player can choose from one of four different character classes: the Samurai, Hunter, Ronin, or Assassin. Each class has unique advantages and abilities that we’ll reveal in the future.

With two players in Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, you’ll be able to play a series of co-op Story missions that escalate in difficulty, building on the foundation of combat from the single-player campaign but with new magical twists that often require careful synchronization with your partner.

With four players, you’ll be able to take on wave-based Survival missions, fighting groups of the toughest enemies Tsushima has to offer, Including new Oni enemies with supernatural abilities.

If you can best the Story and Survival missions, you may be confident enough to take on the four-player Raid that will arrive shortly after the launch of Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, sending you and your partners to an entirely new realm to challenge a brutal, terrifying enemy.

It’s been so rewarding to see the amazing reactions from all of you as you play through Ghost of Tsushima. We’ve been watching so many of you stream your playthroughs, and can’t wait to open up this new way for all of us to play together! We’re happy to offer this mode completely free to Ghost of Tsushima owners as a thank you to our players, and we look forward to hearing what you think!

We’ll have much more to share on Legends as we get closer to launch, including details on character classes, customization, and more! Thank you to everyone for your support of Ghost of Tsushima so far!
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/17/ghost-of-tsushima-legends-coming-to-ps4-fall-2020/

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@Solius Beautiful pictures. I take more pleasures in doing the Masako Adachi and Ishikawa missions than the main ones tbh.
Solid game overall, nothing groundbreaking, visually stunning at times though

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I usually force myself to play it for an hour or a two, and then sort of mildly enjoy it when I do, but never ever get the urge to go back, until maybe a week later just cause I feel like I should finish this game I spent 60 quid on. It's so.. meh. The combat is fun sometimes and the graphics are great but the quests, characters, world, everything else is just so dull and samey that they don't compensate enough.

Ainu

I've started playing this over the weekend, I'm enjoying it. It's not the most remarkable title but I do think it's combat is a cut above most similar open-world titles. Really enjoyable and stylish. Can't say too much about the missions but they've been ok so far. It doesn't feel like the map is overly cluttered or I'm running into some random task every 10 meters, I like that. It feels like a 7/10 game, but a really good one, if that makes sense.

Ainu

I finished it yesterday, really enjoyed it. I know it's been compared a lot to AC and people have called it average or generic, but I don't agree with that at all. It suffers from some of the same, tired open world tropes but I thouroughly enjoyed the main cast of characters and their tales. It's leagues above any AC game in every area for me: characters, writing, world design, combat mechanics, soundtrack, etc.

In terms of Sony studio games I'd put it a step below games like Horizon or God of War but on par with something like Spiderman for me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I still have nightmares of all the fecking Fox Dens, Hot springs, Shrines and other generic checklist simulator events from this game.

Never been so hyped and so let down by a game.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah I think it's above average for the sum of it's parts, but they definitely tried too much with pointless additions (like the grappling hook and stealth overall) so underbaked many parts.

I expect any sequel to be a way more fleshed out game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'll be honest that shows how poor the year has been overall. It's a decent game with a good fun factor which is held together by one of the best combat systems in an open-world game of this type. But I can honestly say the main story (or what I've played up till now) is incredibly boring and the world is pretty shallow. I'm tempted to try and jump back in on the PS5 now that we have the frame rate boost but not sure I'll ever muster the stomach to finish it.

AaronRedDevil

I voted for TLOU 2 but I'm happy to see that game win it. It was such beautiful game to be honest. Every inch of the map was very atmospheric.

Massive Spanner

I voted for TLOU 2 but I'm happy to see that game win it. It was such beautiful game to be honest. Every inch of the map was very atmospheric.
I thought every inch of the map looked the exact same.

The wind stuff was a nice trick and it was pretty and the combat was fun to a point but it was a fairly average game by recent open-world standards. I couldn't even finish it, and I fecking finished Days Gone! Can't help but feel the level-design was stuck back in 2015 which makes sense seeing as they were developing it back in 2014.

TrustInJanuzaj

The wind stuff was a nice trick and it was pretty and the combat was fun to a point but it was a fairly average game by recent open-world standards. I couldn't even finish it, and I fecking finished Days Gone! Can't help but feel the level-design was stuck back in 2015 which makes sense seeing as they were developing it back in 2014.
I'd agree with you here, it's not the revolutionary game its made out to be, its just a fun game with decent combat. Days Gone is actually a good comparison, pretty world, fun gameplay/combat but a boring as hell story and characters.

NinjaFletch

Reminds me of early days Assassin's Creed. Fun game, fun combat, but nothing revolutionary.

On the plus side, no hideous dungeon crawls in lieu of interesting quest design (looking at you, Skyrim), and on the negative, fighting inside is a constant battle with the camera.

TrustInJanuzaj

Reminds me of early days Assassin's Creed. Fun game, fun combat, but nothing revolutionary.

On the plus side, no hideous dungeon crawls in lieu of interesting quest design (looking at you, Skyrim), and on the negative, fighting inside is a constant battle with the camera.
The old Assassins Creed Games had far better protagonists and stories though, so for me at least the only thing this does better is the combat and obviously the beauty of the world (mainly down to technical enhancements).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Aside from the dull as dishwater story this was my biggest complaint. The scenery looked nice but nowhere near as amazing as made out. And unlike Skyrim, where after a while you got familiar with the map and could kind of navigate visually, I always just used the lazy wind pointer thing. Boring as feck.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They can just improve him. Give him a bit more humour and personality as he hangs out with his new friends or whatever. Dont know why people always say, get a new guy. I really like Jin but I agree he's a bit boring. But of course he is. He's a fecking samurai. Watch dogs tried that and look how that turn out. A bad ass guy in the first game but then him they changed him to some stupid annoying hipster.
Yeah I always preferred the first watch dogs game over the 2nd (never even finished the 2nd).

The character in the 2nd just seems a hipster knobhead for the sake of it.

The grief watchdogs one gets because the character was boring is weird, wasn't he like depressed or something? I can't remember now but that's how it came across to me and it seemed to make sense why he wasn't cracking jokes and chatty with everyone. He had something to do and that was his priority, not talking about rollerskates and yo-yos to everyone he met.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just got this... 20 hours in and in absolutely loving it. Think the combat is great and the world is interesting enough that I actively want to roam around it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just got this... 20 hours in and in absolutely loving it. Think the combat is great and the world is interesting enough that I actively want to roam around it.
Same. Grabbed it the other day and it's absolutely gorgeous. The combat is really satisfying as well and it was the perfect game to jump into after Demons Souls. I did look at Sekiro but I didn't fancy bouncing straight into another From slog if I'm honest.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I enjoyed this. Really fun game.
  • Visuals were excellent
  • I enjoyed exploring Tsushima and found myself getting lost in the 'Tales' in particular
  • Both the main quest line and especially the man Tales were strong enough to hook
  • At the same time, the writing is obviously not top notch and dialogue is fairly basic much of the time, and hence I found both the main story and Tales petering out rather meekly after a lot of intrigue
  • Loved the combat, one of the best I've experienced in an open game. Only gripe would be that while the encounters with 2-4 enemies and the boss battles were terrific, the main story bits where you are fighting hoards of enemies felt a bit cheap and assassins creed-like.

Massive Spanner

I didn't enjoy it at all first time round on PS4. Think I made it to the start of act 2 and got fed up and moved on. The foxes and birds just annoyed the shit out of me and the combat and story felt very samey.

Gave it another go to see how good it looks on the ps5 (boy oh boy does it look good) and I'm glad I did now, enjoying it a lot more. I don't think it's amazing or anything but the combat does get waaaay better and I just ignore the birds and foxes now and I'm really liking it. It's a fun game to pass an hour or two lying on the couch.

The duels are the best part of the game. Very well done.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I enjoyed this. Really fun game.
  • Visuals were excellent
  • I enjoyed exploring Tsushima and found myself getting lost in the 'Tales' in particular
  • Both the main quest line and especially the man Tales were strong enough to hook
  • At the same time, the writing is obviously not top notch and dialogue is fairly basic much of the time, and hence I found both the main story and Tales petering out rather meekly after a lot of intrigue
  • Loved the combat, one of the best I've experienced in an open game. Only gripe would be that while the encounters with 2-4 enemies and the boss battles were terrific, the main story bits where you are fighting hoards of enemies felt a bit cheap and assassins creed-like.
It's a very good basis to build a top sequel on. It's flaws in many places (characters, story, stealth to name a few), but the gameplay was strong throughout and it was interesting enough to keep even me entertained for longer than most of these games.

Hopefully they push forward and the next one has more depth to the story and missions.