Giggs trial

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Well, very strong words for him then, IMO! Your levels to roll out the term ‘scumbag’ are clearly a bit lower than mine
You don't think fecking your brothers wife over 8 years is a scumbag thing to do? Then yes, we're clearly not on the same page.

Did you quote me in hopes of getting this of your chest?

LARulz

Giggs just needs to say he's having alcohol issues and all will be forgotten like Best and Gazza
You know what, it probably would for many. The guy is a footballing hero for me but he's a horrible person. It makes me wonder what he is like with the Co92. Are they all as bad as each other or do they just ignore each others shit sides

K Stand Knut

You don't think fecking your brothers wife over 8 years is a scumbag thing to do? Then yes, we're clearly not on the same page.

Did you quote me in hopes of getting this of your chest?
i quote you because I’m replying specifically to you.

I think there are levels of bad people and cheating on someone whether it be your brother’s bird or not is a bad thing.

scumbag?? Not in my opinion, I’ll reserve that for burglars, rapists, nonces etc.

Does Giggs have questionable morales and then some, definitely. I just wouldn’t use the term scumbag as i do not think there is many levels lower and clearly there is.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
You know what, it probably would for many. The guy is a footballing hero for me but he's a horrible person. It makes me wonder what he is like with the Co92. Are they all as bad as each other or do they just ignore each others shit sides
They ignore it, it isn’t affecting them and they know most of the celebs (including themselves) do stupid or other stuff which is not nice.
Over years and decades there have been so many accusations towards celebs / footballers including alleged rape - some allegations are true, some are not and some no one knows or are brushed under the carpet.
The class of 92 own a football club and hotels together, so they get along well with each other.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

I think there are levels of bad people and cheating on someone whether it be your brother’s bird or not is a bad thing.

scumbag?? Not in my opinion, I’ll reserve that for burglars, rapists, nonces etc.

Does Giggs have questionable morales and then some, definitely. I just wouldn’t use the term scumbag as i do not think there is many levels lower and clearly there is.
Silly point to take a stand on imo, on a forum where people write from all over the world. Scumbag to most of us means someone who does whatever he wants no matter who he has to hurt to do it. A bad person. Like Ryan Giggs.

It might be more severe an expression in Manchester, especially if you would draw the line for murderers and rapists and their likes. Personally i wouldn't even look at them as humans.

My tone seems a bit antagonistic, it's Giggs that infuriates me, not you.

K Stand Knut

They ignore it, it isn’t affecting them and they know most of the celebs (including themselves) do stupid or other stuff which is not nice.
Over years and decades there have been so many accusations towards celebs / footballers including alleged rape - some allegations are true, some are not and some no one knows or are brushed under the carpet.
The class of 92 own a football club and hotels together, so they get along well with each other.
Lets not make this a different situation to any other just because he is a professional footballer.

If you can see past his ‘fame’, he is just another person who has a life to live and choices to make.

He has to live with the fact that he will be judged and scrutinised differently because of who he is but, IMO, that doesn’t mean he should be.

This kind of thing is rife across the world, both shagging of family member’s partners, and domestic violence. Unsurprisingly, Giggs will not be the first bloke (or girl) to shag his brother or sisters partner. He certainly isn’t the first to twat his missus, if it is true.

I guarantee that people on this forum will know someone who has committed a domestic-related assault. I dare say there might be someone who knows that person abuses their partner and does nothing, for whatever reason.

I’ll absolutely guarantee that people on here have either shagged a mate/brothers bird themselves or know another mate who has done it and said/done nothing

K Stand Knut

Silly point to take a stand on imo, on a forum where people write from all over the world. Scumbag to most of us means someone who does whatever he wants no matter who he has to hurt to do it. A bad person. Like Ryan Giggs.

It might be more severe an expression in Manchester, especially if you would draw the line for murderers and rapists and their likes. Personally i wouldn't even look at them as humans.

My tone seems a bit antagonistic, it's Giggs that infuriates me, not you.
and that’s absolutely fine. I don’t think you’re being antagonistic in any way.

I have a (bad) habit of using OTT words at times and it is only as I get older that I’m trying not to because they can sound ridiculous.

I just feel scumbag for what he did seems OTT.

if he’s hit his missus and her sister, I’d be more inclined to use scumbag for that, personally.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I think this is very down to be beholder. For example Giggs' brother probably thinks the word scumbag doesn't come close to describing him, but that's what comes when your entire married life has been a lie, thanks to one of few people in life you should be able to trust without question.

If Giggs is actually guilty of domestic violence then I'm done with him, I have no respect for men who are as weak as that.

K Stand Knut

I think this is very down to be beholder. For example Giggs' brother probably thinks the word scumbag doesn't come close to describing him, but that's what comes when your entire married life has been a lie, thanks to one of few people in life you should be able to trust without question.

If Giggs is actually guilty of domestic violence then I'm done with him, I have no respect for men who are as weak as that.
a very fair point. Very fair indeed. Maybe I’ve just reserved words like scumbag for things I have a personal involvement in or of a certain level.

i do find responses to cheating odd anyway a lot of the time.

If he’s guilty of this, and subsequently found so in a court of law, his career should be over. I know people will point at Collymore continuing as a pundit but in this day and age, I can’t see who offers him any kind of job at any level of football

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Lets not make this a different situation to any other just because he is a professional footballer.

If you can see past his ‘fame’, he is just another person who has a life to live and choices to make.

He has to live with the fact that he will be judged and scrutinised differently because of who he is but, IMO, that doesn’t mean he should be.

This kind of thing is rife across the world, both shagging of family member’s partners, and domestic violence. Unsurprisingly, Giggs will not be the first bloke (or girl) to shag his brother or sisters partner. He certainly isn’t the first to twat his missus, if it is true.

I guarantee that people on this forum will know someone who has committed a domestic-related assault. I dare say there might be someone who knows that person abuses their partner and does nothing, for whatever reason.

I’ll absolutely guarantee that people on here have either shagged a mate/brothers bird themselves or know another mate who has done it and said/done nothing
Well obviously, if Giggs wasn’t a famous person this wouldn’t be in the news, but he is a celeb so he will get headlines.
Jury is out on the domestic violence stuff, we don’t know what has happened.
The story with his brother, well it’s not a crime and fans are free to judge whatever way. But I don’t see him differently because of this. I only know him as a player. Even if I met him I would see him as a United legend and not anything else.
Who knows what other players do. Giggs’ relationship was kept secret for 8 years. Who knows who else has what kind of secrets.
I keep reading here how people now see Giggs differently as if they know him privately. Fair enough. But I really don’t.
I see him exactly the same way as Becks for example. Both great players for United. How they appear to be personally based on what we hear and read, doesn’t make any difference at all to me.

K Stand Knut

Well obviously, if Giggs wasn’t a famous person this wouldn’t be in the news, but he is a celeb so he will get headlines.
Jury is out on the domestic violence stuff, we don’t know what has happened.
The story with his brother, well it’s not a crime and fans are free to judge whatever way. But I don’t see him differently because of this. I only know him as a player. Even if I met him I would see him as a United legend and not anything else.
Who knows what other players do. Giggs’ relationship was kept secret for 8 years. Who knows who else has what kind of secrets.
I keep reading here how people now see Giggs differently as if they know him privately. Fair enough. But I really don’t.
I see him exactly the same way as Becks for example. Both great players for United. How they appear to be personally based on what we hear and read, doesn’t make any difference at all to me.
i agree with this almost exactly but if he is convicted of a domestic assault, I’ll think very differently towards him as a human being.

I wouldn’t let it affect how I feel about him as a footballer though. He was a fantastic player for United. Luckily that is about where my level of interest to him, or any ex-player ends unless they become involved in United again for any reason, like Ole.

youngrell

That Could be completely irrelevant though and might actually cause huge problems for Giggs.

Being proven guilty and knowing someone has done something, are two very different things. Very different thing that could result in very different options for the Welsh FA.

Dismissing him immediately before the completion of any investigation would be mental
Well I’d like to think the FAW have the integrity to dismiss someone if they have committed assault whether they are found guilty in a court of law or not.

And as for causing problems for the perpetrator, who cares? They don’t deserve support if they have done what was alleged.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Cheating can literally ruin lives. Not all cheating is between innocent youngsters. It can be in established families that will often break up. Cheating is the preserve of dishonest scumbags. Cheating with your own flesh and bloods Mrs is 100% the preserve of a scumbag. Great player as Giggsy was, and I doubt anyone on this forum would disagree on that, he is a scumbag.

K Stand Knut

Well I’d like to think the FAW have the integrity to dismiss someone if they have committed assault whether they are found guilty in a court of law or not.

And as for causing problems for the perpetrator, who cares? They don’t deserve support if they have done what was alleged.
So you think companies can dismiss someone ‘if they are found guilty in a court of law or not’? I’d argue that they don’t and people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

If you’re talking about integrity and the FAW have information that indicates he has committed the assault, they should submit it to the relevant authorities as part of the investigation as evidence.

At this time, they’ve done the right thing and ‘suspended’ him whilst the investigation is completed. They can absolve any criticism either way at the end now.

Sacking him from the off would be risky and open to all sorts of criticism/challenges in the future.

K Stand Knut

Cheating can literally ruin lives. Not all cheating is between innocent youngsters. It can be in established families that will often break up. Cheating is the preserve of dishonest scumbags. Cheating with your own flesh and bloods Mrs is 100% the preserve of a scumbag. Great player as Giggsy was, and I doubt anyone on this forum would disagree on that, he is a scumbag.
well, I hate to nitpick but your last sentence is wrong because I have literally just disagreed. Whether I’m right or wrong is subjective, as is the opinion of him being a scumbag.

The bits I find funny are people’s reaction to cheating. Now, in this instance, I do not know anything other than Giggs shagged his brother’s wife. I couldn’t say whether Giggs had a missus at the time or not but the story is Giggs shagged his brother’s wife and little is said about his wife being a cheat, which just seems to happen a lot

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
a very fair point. Very fair indeed. Maybe I’ve just reserved words like scumbag for things I have a personal involvement in or of a certain level.

If he’s guilty of this, and subsequently found so in a court of law, his career should be over. I know people will point at Collymore continuing as a pundit but in this day and age, I can’t see who offers him any kind of job at any level of football
Well to me, hearing about people cheating gives me a "Maybe not do that?" reaction rather something very strongly since I'm not involved with the people. If it was say my best friends gf I would be very upset. It's like with most things, the reaction is stronger the closer you are to it.

I'm a strong supporter of rehabilitation and second chances, (nearly) everyone deserves to clean up their life and start new. That doesn't mean that I want anything to do with them, but for society's sake, that's how it should be.

Personally I find character, honesty and a backbone admirable traits in a person. Giggs seemingly has none of those qualitites. I say seemingly because I don't know what happened so we'll just wait for the reslution of the incident.

youngrell

So you think companies can dismiss someone ‘if they are found guilty in a court of law or not’? I’d argue that they don’t and people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

If you’re talking about integrity and the FAW have information that indicates he has committed the assault, they should submit it to the relevant authorities as part of the investigation as evidence.

At this time, they’ve done the right thing and ‘suspended’ him whilst the investigation is completed. They can absolve any criticism either way at the end now.

Sacking him from the off would be risky and open to all sorts of criticism/challenges in the future.
Yeah, you're probably right.

I was thinking more along the lines of if someone is clearly guilty of the offence but gets off legally due to some technicality or whatever. And I wouldn't equate it to a normal company. A public body like the FAW is usually held to a higher standard than a private company in such situations.

But yeah, can't disagree with what you're saying in general.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
well, I hate to nitpick but your last sentence is wrong because I have literally just disagreed. Whether I’m right or wrong is subjective, as is the opinion of him being a scumbag.

The bits I find funny are people’s reaction to cheating. Now, in this instance, I do not know anything other than Giggs shagged his brother’s wife. I couldn’t say whether Giggs had a missus at the time or not but the story is Giggs shagged his brother’s wife and little is said about his wife being a cheat, which just seems to happen a lot
Do you find the reactions in this case to be funny or cheating in general?
People cheat, it's a bad thing but I think most react so harshly to Giggs because it was with his brothers wife, and that over many years.

Of course people will think the same of the woman, but it's Giggs we know and talk about because he is the celebrity we have some sort of affection for, but both of them are scum in my eyes.

As for those mentioning how people seem to forget about Best, a lot of us never watched Best play and only heard about him through those showering his legacy with praise with the odd talk about his lifestyle and alcohol problems.

youngrell

People cheat, it's a bad thing but I think most react so harshly to Giggs because it was with his brothers wife, and that over many years.

Of course people will think the same of the woman, but it's Giggs we know and talk about because he is the celebrity we have some sort of affection for, but both of them are scum in my eyes.

As for those mentioning how people seem to forget about Best, a lot of us never watched Best play and only heard about him through those showering his legacy with praise with the odd talk about his lifestyle and alcohol problems.
I agree with what K Stand is saying, and for me it is the reaction to Giggs in particular.

I am against cheating, of course, but some people get so wound up about Giggs it's as if they themselves are the victims. The whole fiasco does not paint Giggs in a very good light admittedly, but nobody knows the full ins and outs and the subsequent outrage has always seemed way OTT to me.

Maybe it's because I am a big fan of Giggs that my viewpoint is blighted, but I don't think so because I feel very differently about the current allegations and no amount of idolising the player can gloss over that for me.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hate to say it but this guy is a scumbag, even if this story is not true what he did with his brother is well below the belt and pure scumbag behaviour. Shame really, as I pretty much idolised the guy as a youngster. Before the story of his affair he had a squeaky clean image, just goes to show we don't really know anything.

K Stand Knut

Reactions to cheating in general because there always seems to be one person singled out.

The amount of times I have heard people slagging off a single person because they slept with a married person is hilarious. My missus is awful for it.

There are levels of cheating and obviously Giggs is probably at the top of those levels. It’s the reaction that always gets me.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Agree with this. The brother thing... that's just so low. I'm sure there's nuance but his actions suggest no consideration of him as a person. Pure selfish behavior (and also from the wife too).

It's not even slightly understandable and Giggs remains an absolute bellend outside of his footballing talent, as many are quick to point out.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Reactions to cheating in general because there always seems to be one person singled out.

The amount of times I have heard people slagging off a single person because they slept with a married person is hilarious. My missus is awful for it.

There are levels of cheating and obviously Giggs is probably at the top of those levels. It’s the reaction that always gets me.
Fair enough. In this case though I think people leave out the woman from the conversation because Ryan is the one we are interested in, and can remember the name of. She won't have many people defending her either i suspect.

Paul_Scholes18

Rashford may well be a greets human. However don’t be blinded by celebrities charity work. Sometimes it’s to increase their brand/profile and used to hide their shocking personal life behaviour. Not saying this is Rashford but I stay away from idolising any celebrity/public figure.
I think you are more talking about Beckham there who build up his brand. I think Rashford seems like a good guy on many levels. Just like Mata. Then he probably likes earning a lot too and spending it.
Don't think there are any saints around that give up 2/3 of their wealth to poor people or stuff like that. Even if they probably could afford it.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
K Stand Knut has totally cheated in his life... he’s trying too hard to lower cheating to a ‘meh’ thing that’s part of life

It’s been so normalised these days it’s sickening... yeah some people don’t receive the same consequences for it, and it’s unfair, but if you cheat in any way what so ever, you’re a scumbag, irrelevant of anyone else or their circumstances. It’s a premeditated choice to betray someone you are suppose to be loyal too, scumbag is light.

shahzy

Hes a piece of shit. im not going to mince my words about it. I mean who sleeps with their brothers wife. That was a sad indictment on his character and now domestic abuser added to that.
Good player for Man utd. Shit human being. its about as simple as that

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
There have been whispers about this type of thing with him before. That said, he won’t be on his own with this type of behaviour. At least three of the ‘68 European Cup winning side had ‘instances’ of this, including one lauded as a ‘legend’. Same with a few players from the Ron Atkinson era. It’s a sad reflection on society, not a Utd problem, but Giggs does strike me as the worst type of shithouse - despite being a ‘legend’.

BR7

I don’t see how they couldn’t suspend him. He was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, it would set a poor example if he was allowed to continue in his role. False allegations to the police are very rare and the scenario you’ve described seems fairly implausible
Isn’t it time you stopped acting like the moral police and stop judging people? You have no understanding of what happened and you’re judging already. So every man accused of rape should be treated as guilty and should be stopped from working until they’ve proved their innocence. You have spouted nothing but tripe. how Many women have cried rape falsely. Have you defended any of these men whose lives have been turned to crap because of such insinuations. You are part of the problem preaching with partial knowledge. Leave it to the professionals, you know the senior psychiatrists like my father. But your type know better than him I’m sure. Come across your type regularly. The I know better than anyone type. And the false allegations are a lot more common than you know.. Maybe you should catch up with some of the CPS’s admission of failure where women have accused men and the evidence supporting the men has just been lost, misplaced, not read.... it is a worrying trend and people like you don’t help it. Suggestion: pick up a book or two and stop watching love island and use your time more effectively and stop acting like you know the answer because you really don’t. And finally, only someone like you will read this and not disappear. I expect a response because as I said I know you’re type. Never wrong. Psychiatrists have a term for this. I’ll leave it at that.

Cloud7

Isn’t it time you stopped acting like the moral police and stop judging people? You have no understanding of what happened and you’re judging already. So every man accused of rape should be treated as guilty and should be stopped from working until they’ve proved their innocence. You have spouted nothing but tripe. how Many women have cried rape falsely. Have you defended any of these men whose lives have been turned to crap because of such insinuations. You are part of the problem preaching with partial knowledge. Leave it to the professionals, you know the senior psychiatrists like my father. But your type know better than him I’m sure. Come across your type regularly. The I know better than anyone type. And the false allegations are a lot more common than you know.. Maybe you should catch up with some of the CPS’s admission of failure where women have accused men and the evidence supporting the men has just been lost, misplaced, not read.... it is a worrying trend and people like you don’t help it. Suggestion: pick up a book or two and stop watching love island and use your time more effectively and stop acting like you know the answer because you really don’t. And finally, only someone like you will read this and not disappear. I expect a response because as I said I know you’re type. Never wrong. Psychiatrists have a term for this. I’ll leave it at that.
Damn, look at the DSM VI over here

Withnail

I don't think we all need to have clever daddies to form opinions or how that is even relevant.

Is he the one who told you we shouldn't judge footballers for domestic violence as it's too high a moral code for the uneducated savages?

Also all the information I've seen has led me to believe that false allegations are not common in the grand scheme of things. Do you have evidence to back this up?

Besides he's right, in that the Welsh FA are understandably covering themselves while the matter is being investigated. If there's nothing in it he'll be re-instated and backed all the way, I'm sure.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is this a new The Streets single?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Formatting on my phone is tricky so I’ll just reply to your general points and try and make it clear which arguments I’m responding to.

1. My reasoning that the FAW were right in suspending Giggs isn’t because I think he should be punished, but because he was arrested on suspicion of a serious crime and at this moment in time it would be a massive distraction. Giggs himself mutually agreed to this as the best action to take moving forward. It’s often common practise to suspend someone with pay while investigations take place, in many different jobs.

2. I’m not sure why we’re talking about false rape allegations here, but I take issue with your framing of it and how widespread of an issue it is. In general false rape allegations are very rare, and often used to pressure women (and men) into not stepping forward or seeking justice for the traumatic experiences inflicted upon them. Compared to the vast amount of sexual assault that goes unpunished they’re statistically minute.As I said I’m not sure why you’re talking about them in the context of this thread.
http://www.open.ac.uk/research/news/false-accusations-sexual-violence

3. “My dad is a psychiatrist and will beat your dad up” “pick up a book” “stop watching love island”.

I don’t really know what you’re doing here.