Television Gladiators UK

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Any word on a Sabre OnlyFans yet..?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Viper is awful. Both as a gladiator and a character.

Superunknown

That second men's gauntlet was more like it. That contestant got chucked around like a ragdoll, the way they should be treated.

Sabre. Oh my god. I want to be death by snu-snu'd in a quadruple-decker sandwich with her, Diamond and Comet.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
New caf warning alert idea:
:lol:

Some of these gladiators are terrible though. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing, but I feel like original ones used to be so much better at stuff like the wall. This bunch look like it's the first time they've seen one.
Legend doing the edge :lol:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Some of these gladiators are terrible though. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing, but I feel like original ones used to be so much better at stuff like the wall. This bunch look like it's the first time they've seen one.
Yeah they do appear to be holding back massively. They need to all bring the same energy as Giant in the 2nd Gauntlet last week. Pulverised the contender.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant

I don't think it's nostalgia. The original gladiators were beasts. Todays ones aren't as imposing.

Did anyone else think last weeks contestants were some of the worst ever? I genuinely felt bad for the guy who faceplanted on the travelator.

I watched the aussie final a couple of days ago. Best thing about it was seeing the pyramid again.

United Hobbit

I can't remember the level of headstart the contenders get on the wall - it seems really long and the better contenders are almost at the top by the point the gladiators get to start. 5 seconds would be better. One of the female gladiators nearly caught her contender, but she was insanely quick up the wall, if the head start had only been 5 seconds, she would have got her.

Also the wall looks easier? The old wall used to have a big ledge that came out and looked far more uneven?

Same for gauntlet I forgot there used to be an extra gladiator in it.

I'm still really enjoying watching, but have the events been made more in favour of the contenders succeeding?

I'd be interested to see if the travellator is slower? I'm convinced they slow it down if they don't get up it the first time?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't think it's nostalgia. The original gladiators were beasts. Todays ones aren't as imposing.

Did anyone else think last weeks contestants were some of the worst ever? I genuinely felt bad for the guy who faceplanted on the travelator.

I watched the aussie final a couple of days ago. Best thing about it was seeing the pyramid again.
All the previous episodes all of the contestants were like "yeah I've been training for years". This guy was like "I started running last year!". Made me proper laugh. He did alright although was kindly matched up by the Producers.

I can't remember the level of headstart the contenders get on the wall - it seems really long and the better contenders are almost at the top by the point the gladiators get to start. 5 seconds would be better. One of the female gladiators nearly caught her contender, but she was insanely quick up the wall, if the head start had only been 5 seconds, she would have got her.

Also the wall looks easier? The old wall used to have a big ledge that came out and looked far more uneven?
Just checked, used Series 1, Final as a comparison (its on Youtube).

1992 - Female Contestants got a 15 second head start.
2024 - Female Contestants got an 8 second head start.

1992 - Male Contestants got a 10 second head start.
2024 - Male Contestants got an 8 second head start.

The difference is the Walls themselves. In the modern show it's a flat panels with a slight overhang, in 92 the overhang is far more like a reconstruction of a cliff. It's therefore much harder and more technical to climb, the 92 wall looks taller too, the NEC is a huge building so more room to make it taller. The mens wall in the 92 looks so much harder to climb.

United Hobbit

All the previous episodes all of the contestants were like "yeah I've been training for years". This guy was like "I started running last year!". Made me proper laugh. He did alright although was kindly matched up by the Producers.

Just checked, used Series 1, Final as a comparison (its on Youtube).

1992 - Female Contestants got a 15 second head start.
2024 - Female Contestants got an 8 second head start.

1992 - Male Contestants got a 10 second head start.
2024 - Male Contestants got an 8 second head start.

The difference is the Walls themselves. In the modern show it's a flat panels with a slight overhang, in 92 the overhang is far more like a reconstruction of a cliff. It's therefore much harder and more technical to climb, the 92 wall looks taller too, the NEC is a huge building so more room to make it taller. The mens wall in the 92 looks so much harder to climb.
That's really interesting about the starts being greater in the 90s, agree it must be the construction of the wall, I can remember they had to be really selective about the route they took as there was a huge bit jutting out within which were all sorts of angles etc

Now apart from sloping a bit at the top it looks much more doable

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, it was like a kid starting his first ever senior game in a champions league final!

You're right about the matchups. Imagine being the other contestant having to deal with one of the big guys on Duel and you see him get Viper :lol:

I was watching this with my brother and he was convinced they slowed down the travelator for him. I couldn't tell myself but, if they did, I'm glad because I would've been gutted for him if he couldn't have completed the course.

United Hobbit

I'm convinced they slow the travellator down if they don't make it up the first time. I can't tell if they have it on a slower setting for the women than the men?

I forgot, but they used to have see saws for some eliminators, rather than the balance beam

The male contenders tonight look very slight, I think Giant is going to destroy whichever one he gets on duel :lol:

Wish they'd have a greater line up of events so we didn't get the same ones used each episodes, unless they're going to bring a few new ones in for the next stage?

United Hobbit

Much better gauntlet for the male gladiators, hope they keep that line up/order

I think the female ones are too evenly matched weight wise, so the contenders have the advantage of momentum

Wall sucks, it's too easy for the contenders to climb, so they're too far ahead by the time the gladiators are released

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another week, another faceplant on the travelator. The standard for contestants this year isn't great. Not many of them seem that athletic.

Still great fun, though!

United Hobbit

Not that I'd ever be fit enough to get round the eliminator but I don't get why none of them don't launch off the balance beam and take a run at the travellator. They all seem to stop so have lost any momentum, surely it's harder from a standstill than running start unless there's some rule saying they have to stop

One of the female contenders seemed to take a lot of time waiting and lining up the next obstacle, which I think cost her a lot of time

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wish they'd have a greater line up of events so we didn't get the same ones used each episodes, unless they're going to bring a few new ones in for the next stage?
Definitely need some more. Either the classics or some interesting new ones.

United Hobbit

Im still enjoying watching but wish they had a greater variety of events - especially as wall is so underwhelming as it's too easy so the contenders are halfway up by the time the gladiators set off - reduce the lead to 5 seconds to account for the easier wall

Gauntlet should have an extra gladiator like the old days, especially now we are in the quarter finals

I can't make out the edge either, the gladiators seem to dither for ages and let the contender rack up a decent amount of points, as soon as they lunge for them they usually get them (not that I'd want to be that high up but I'm not on the show!) I can see that one getting cancelled as there's been a couple of nasty landings

Glorio

Viper is basically a WUM isn't he? I haven't seen him successful in anything

United Hobbit

At least Wolf was very good at the games, so made his persona more convincing, Viper is too easily brushed aside so it's hard to take him seriously

Glorio

I actually like Legend's antics a lot - adds a whole new dimension to the show.

"Bring it in - 1, 2, 3, Legend" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I want the event where they were going through a course and shooting stuff, that was great.
Yes! I was trying to explain this to my wife and she looked at me like I was a lunatic. What was it called?

CallyRed

Im still enjoying watching but wish they had a greater variety of events - especially as wall is so underwhelming as it's too easy so the contenders are halfway up by the time the gladiators set off - reduce the lead to 5 seconds to account for the easier wall

Gauntlet should have an extra gladiator like the old days, especially now we are in the quarter finals

I can't make out the edge either, the gladiators seem to dither for ages and let the contender rack up a decent amount of points, as soon as they lunge for them they usually get them (not that I'd want to be that high up but I'm not on the show!) I can see that one getting cancelled as there's been a couple of nasty landings
Why didn't they bring back the game when they were in the hamster balls. That was fun.

United Hobbit

Why didn't they bring back the game when they were in the hamster balls. That was fun.
Atlasspheres? I seem to recall they could use them for a couple of different events too? Sure there was a race in them, and also one where they had to manoeuvre them onto smoke pods

I used to look forward to the upside down race around the track on the ceiling of the stadium.
Sky track - that was another one I enjoyed, reminded me of scaelectrix as the stadium looked like the tracks for it!

Pyramid was good, but on reading on Wikipedia it got cancelled due to people getting hurt

I liked slingshot I think it was called - the contestants had to jump off their platforms with different coloured balls and leap up and attach them to this column that hung from the ceiling, there were different colours sections worth different levels of points and the gladiators had to stop them. Whiplash was decent too

CallyRed

Atlasspheres? I seem to recall they could use them for a couple of different events too? Sure there was a race in them, and also one where they had to manoeuvre them onto smoke pods

Sky track - that was another one I enjoyed, reminded me of scaelectrix as the stadium looked like the tracks for it!

Pyramid was good, but on reading on Wikipedia it got cancelled due to people getting hurt

I liked slingshot I think it was called - the contestants had to jump off their platforms with different coloured balls and leap up and attach them to this column that hung from the ceiling, there were different colours sections worth different levels of points and the gladiators had to stop them. Whiplash was decent too
Snowflakes.
I remember the games you listed now, they probably cost more to construct, though arguably more enjoyable to watch.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm watching it every week with my 8 year old... great nostalgia trip, but its just not the same now they've stopped shooting the gladiators full of roids and force feeding them pharmaceutical grade cocaine.