Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinjiNinja26

Possible, but I’d expect Qatar will simply blow any American offer away. Glazers only care about the money.

It does seem like a very plausible nightmare scenario though.
My biggest fear is knowing how greedy these bastards are they end up turning down even the Qatari’s offer because it doesn’t meet their overinflated valuation and they settle for a minority stake while remaining in charge. Absolute worst case scenario.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Media hype tends to go with the trends. Many of these people are paid by the click or at least have their success evaluated based on traffic. The Qatar rumours are what's hot now. Definitely think there's something solid in it but 90% of what we read is piggybacking from journalists looking to benefit from trends
I think the big plot twist is they buy the club in the next week, blowing all offers out of the water and totally bypassing the much documented Raine process.

UDontMessWith24

It’s adorable that people think ceasing to support United under Qatari ownership then “cleanses” their every day lives from outcomes of dealings between these oil states and the west. I hate to be the one to break this news, but if you live in the UK or U.S, our governments sold out decades ago in order to have access to natural resources that YOU USE EVERY FECKING DAY ffs.

Infra-red

Anything new today?
Not really. Lots of media speculation surrounding a bid from Qatar that is reportedly expected to come in later this week. Early reports suggest neither Ratcliffe nor Qatar are prepared to meet the Glazers' £6bn asking price, but Qatar could bid more than £4bn.

Soft deadline for initial bids is Friday. We should find out who the bidders are in the next 10 days or so, before the Glazers start the process of trimming the list down to three or four preferred bidders.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Jeez, everywhere I go I see furious, stubborn posters taking "a stand". I know this is normal for a forum, but tonight I find it tiresome.

I wish we could go back to the days when posters showed support to Sancho or ripping into Antony. That was at least mildly entertaining.

BarstoolProphet

Don't forget that Glazers are possibly closer to American potential buyers than ME. So making a deal with some American company opens them door for some future business with that company.
Avram Glazer has been spending the past couple of years in both Qatar and UAE, officially due to his involvement in cricket business. He probably has more connections in the ME than US at the moment.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It’s adorable that people think ceasing to support United under Qatari ownership then “cleanses” their every day lives from outcomes of dealings between these oil states and the west. I hate to be the one to break this news, but if you live in the UK or U.S, our governments sold out decades ago in order to have access to natural resources that YOU USE EVERY FECKING DAY ffs.
My everyday need tk exist and a football club I have an emotional connection with are completely different.

Infra-red

Possible, but I’d expect Qatar will simply blow any American offer away. Glazers only care about the money.

It does seem like a very plausible nightmare scenario though.
Reports in France today have suggested that Qatar "will not dance to the Glazers' tune". They are prepared to go to £4.5bn, but not the Glazer asking price of £6bn.

I know there is a general feeling that Qatar have functionally infinite funds, but they aren't stupid and will not want to be ripped off by some jumped up little family of strip mall salesmen from Florida. Long way to go yet and there are sure to be a few twists and turns, particularly when the big American money starts flying about. Joel/Avram are reportedly very bullish on the asking price.

Dazzmondo

I really hope it isn't Musk, an American owner or Ratcliffe. I feel like all would really hurt the club and wouldn't invest what is needed to make us regular title contenders, fix/rebuild the stadium and upgrade the facilities around the surrounding Manchester area. I wouldn't even be surprised to see some of those options running the club in an even worse way than the Glazers have. For me, it's strictly about choosing the owner that will be best for the club in footballing terms.

RedDevil@84

Can we please make this thread about the process of selling the club instead of the lectures of history and morality?
Its not possible right. Several posters who are against the Qatar sale have morality as the number one reason. Of course there are a few posters who just don't want Qataris or anyone from middle east.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Surely the money pumped into infrastructure in and around the club has been a net benefit for Manchester as a city? In what way has it been a nightmare?
The City group who got the apartments paid barely anything for them compared to going rate, scrimp on paying tax and have ignored any hope of social housing. The area is prettier, the money is going abroad after they got incredibly dodgy deals on it. The person who brokered the move now sits on a lucrative wage working for City.

TsuWave

And to what ends precisely ? So United can sell its identity and participate in a financial arms race with 3 or 4 other clubs owned by similar middle eastern owners ?

It seems neither moral, logical, or sustainable.
What's the identity that United would be selling here?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Developers keep talking about affordable housing but it never seems to see reality. And New Islington and Ancoats are fantastic. I'm loving the regeneration.
The city have redeveloped with all of the money going abroad and the council making nothing. Ancoats has better restaurants and cooler bars but the people who live there have been fleeced and the council are making no money t

Again- it’s a nightmare for Manchester.

bubbles_

All that’s happening to Manchester is that people from here are being priced out. Ancoats is like a Little London. That is not a compliment.

Council have been paid off so that City’s owners get land for feck all to build on and take all the profit.

Great for tourists, shit for people that actually live here.

AneRu

Reports in France today have suggested that Qatar "will not dance to the Glazers' tune". They are prepared to go to £4.5bn, but not the Glazer asking price of £6bn.

I know there is a general feeling that Qatar have functionally infinite funds, but they aren't stupid and will not want to be ripped off by some jumped up little family of strip mall salesmen from Florida. Long way to go yet and there are sure to be a few twists and turns, particularly when the big American money starts flying about. Joel/Avram are reportedly very bullish on the asking price.
Aren't you taking it a bit too far with the wishful thinking? Obviously it would be stupid for them to make it see like they would pay any price but do you really think that if someone bid more they would just fold their hands and say 'too bad we lost to big American money' or it could spur them into going even higher.

If the Emir sees it as his personal project rest assured they would get it, Avram Glazer wasn't just buying a cricket team in the ME two months ago. The basic outline of the deal would have been discussed then and they have a rough idea about the price the Glazers would accept and you and I both know that the only people capable of and willing to
outbid the Qataris are even worse.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The City group who got the apartments paid barely anything for them compared to going rate, scrimp on paying tax and have ignored any hope of social housing. The area is prettier, the money is going abroad after they got incredibly dodgy deals on it. The person who brokered the move now sits on a lucrative wage working for City.
Just read the Guardian article you linked. Yikes. The addendum is a classic of the genre…
  • This article was amended on 21 July 2022. An earlier version described the effective tax rate paid by a subsidiary of Manchester Life as “four pennies on each pound”; it is actually 4p on each £100.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Sounds like City owners have Manchester in a similar position to Dublin. Great for tourists, shite to live.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just read the Guardian article you linked. Yikes. The addendum is a classic of the genre…
  • This article was amended on 21 July 2022. An earlier version described the effective tax rate paid by a subsidiary of Manchester Life as “four pennies on each pound”; it is actually 4p on each £100.
I recently went to a group meetings for expectant families. There were ten couples. One of the lads had been in Ancoats for three generations. He had effectively been forced out by rising rents and his flats are now used for foreign investors as second homes. It’s shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.