Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Wow this Spurs for 3.75 Billion seems real.

Glazers/Raine just got even more bargaining power
It's like selling your house with hearing that so and so just down the road is asking more then you imagined they were worth. Everyone starts pushing their prices up. More commission for the estate agents, more tax for the govt. Higher ticket prices for the fans.

Someone has to pay.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The alternatives are clear and very depressing: 1) Glazers staying on and letting everything deteriorate. 2)Selling us to an amoral oil state. 3) Being bought by some US banks + Ratcliffe sort of consortium that will be basically Glazers on steroids

I hate the Glazers so SO much to the point I think it's a little bit ridiculous and unhealthy. I hope they lose all their money in a freak banking accident.

croadyman

This is one of my biggest worries football wise if the Qatar ownership goes through - forcing players on the manager, demanding them to be played etc etc. We need to support ETH in HIS decisions, not impose anything on him.
Yeah I would like to think if the Emir is as big Utd fan as suggested then he will leave Erik to get on with that side of things and not meddle

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How are Qatar managing PSG? Are they managing it correctly? @JPRouve and @kouroux might give us a better idea of what to expect if this happens.
From a commercial POV, it's a success I'd say but I hate how Nasser has enabled their biggest players to have had access to him over the years therefore diminishing the coach's authority.
I hope we never see something similar to this

CallyRed

Heard on the radio Glazers were now looking for £8billion. Media are adding a billion a day to the price.

Ciddy

But they have just committed over $1B to their stadium so knock that off the price... I'll still be shocked if anyone pays OVER $5B for us. Too much debt and and too much investment needed.

DevilRed

Heard on the radio Glazers were now looking for £8billion. Media are adding a billion a day to the price.
Seems nobody knows anything at the moment.

No leaks at the banks thats for sure.

We don't even know the identity of the bidders. Only the two who have come public themselves.

Suv666

Spurs are getting a sugar daddy as well?

Feck me the PL really is becoming the super league

laughtersassassin

I assume those feelings aren't based solely on their nationality?

I think it's important to be specific in a thread that has had a lot of generalizations.
No it's more so that after the Glazers I simply don't trust that they will care one but about the results in the pitch.

I'm sure there are Americans who would but I'm just burnt out after the Glazers.

Generally speaking other owners of different nationalities seem to be doing a better job in football.

croadyman

I find this thread interesting; logged in for the first time in years to give some thoughts. There's a lot of somewhat understandable mental gymnastics going on, and the place seems to be split into a few camps.

1. Those wanting to take a stand - These people would generally rather see the club in debt and struggling, than a sportswashing regime take over. If the US or Israeli government bid, they'd probably hold the same view. They either hate state ownership, or slave workers, or lack of womens rights, or general sportswashing. But their view is on principle. For some if it happens, that's the club dead to them.

2. Those 'resigned' to the fact we'll be taken over by somebody, and they probably won't be a good guy. It doesn't sit comfortable, but they love the club, and they'd rather be rich and win than poor and lose so support a ME bid. They may make some light justifications like 'maybe we can improve rights in qatar etc'. They will continue to support the club and bear the owners through grit teeth.

3. Those who don't care, they just want to win. Bring on the richest bidder. Maybe they'll wear some nice ME clothes after the takeover like the Newcastle fans did.

4. Those who are cheerleading for the ME, and using the discomfort in the first two groups to accuse of xenophobia, racism, etc etc. It's strange to me, as it's blindingly obvious that if the state of israel made a bid, they would have a collective aneurism and suddenly be in camp one. I don't really understand why this group isn't simply in camp 3, and instead are attempting to recreate a reality that the ME are good guys and their culture is no more distasteful than ours.

In short, it seems some people are cashing in on the ME interest to advance ME political interests and discourse, which I find weird as hell. There should be absolutely no reason to attempt to defend Qatar and its human rights records etc; simply don't respond. But a group of people are going out of their way to interact and attack groups one and two and recreate reality. It's become a political football in the football forum...

I don't know what to think of it all really. And I'm probably shamefully in camp 2. I won't stop supporting the club or watching etc.
I would describe myself as between camp 2 and 3 as I recognise the issues with being taken over by a state,however want to see what they could do with improving stadium and training ground.

Last edited:

LARulz

If Spurs guy is demanding 4 billion for them, then Glazers won't be letting us be bought for that amount too - think they will demand closer to 6

El-Manos

If Spurs guy is demanding 4 billion for them, then Glazers won't be letting us be bought for that amount too - think they will demand closer to 6
It’s not as simple as that. They don’t require new stadium for starters and probably don’t have half as much debt. As a football club Manchester United is obviously higher valued; it’s the factors around it that will play a major factor too.

Infra-red

Meanwhile, reports about Qatar interest suggest £4.5bn is the most they are willing to go to, while Ratcliffe reportedly won't go over £4bn.

I wonder if the Glazers are about to price the club out of a sale, as FSG seem to have done at Liverpool. If we've learnt one thing since 2005, it is to never underestimate the Glazers' stupid greed.

laughtersassassin

Meanwhile, reports about Qatar interest suggest £4.5bn is the most they are willing to go to, while Ratcliffe reportedly won't go over £4bn.

I wonder if the Glazers are about to price the club out of a sale, as FSG seem to have done at Liverpool. If we've learnt one thing since 2005, it is to never underestimate the Glazers' stupid greed.
That's my worry too. I can't stomach keeping the Glazers after all this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I find this thread interesting; logged in for the first time in years to give some thoughts. There's a lot of somewhat understandable mental gymnastics going on, and the place seems to be split into a few camps.

1. Those wanting to take a stand - These people would generally rather see the club in debt and struggling, than a sportswashing regime take over. If the US or Israeli government bid, they'd probably hold the same view. They either hate state ownership, or slave workers, or lack of womens rights, or general sportswashing. But their view is on principle. For some if it happens, that's the club dead to them.

2. Those 'resigned' to the fact we'll be taken over by somebody, and they probably won't be a good guy. It doesn't sit comfortable, but they love the club, and they'd rather be rich and win than poor and lose so support a ME bid. They may make some light justifications like 'maybe we can improve rights in qatar etc'. They will continue to support the club and bear the owners through grit teeth.

3. Those who don't care, they just want to win. Bring on the richest bidder. Maybe they'll wear some nice ME clothes after the takeover like the Newcastle fans did.

4. Those who are cheerleading for the ME, and using the discomfort in the first two groups to accuse of xenophobia, racism, etc etc. It's strange to me, as it's blindingly obvious that if the state of israel made a bid, they would have a collective aneurism and suddenly be in camp one. I don't really understand why this group isn't simply in camp 3, and instead are attempting to recreate a reality that the ME are good guys and their culture is no more distasteful than ours.

In short, it seems some people are cashing in on the ME interest to advance ME political interests and discourse, which I find weird as hell. There should be absolutely no reason to attempt to defend Qatar and its human rights records etc; simply don't respond. But a group of people are going out of their way to interact and attack groups one and two and recreate reality. It's become a political football in the football forum...

I don't know what to think of it all really. And I'm probably shamefully in camp 2. I won't stop supporting the club or watching etc.
Good post.

We need an rvn

i agree United are worth a Billion or so more than Spurs given the appeal / fan base / marketing etc - however that Spurs stadium carries a lot of weight and appeal for an investor and it won't cost much to update that spurs squad and be on par with the likes of Chelsea / Arsenal in london, with a swanky new stadium to boost about. Hence I'd still be looking at 4.5b for United as it would cost, with todays prices in mind re steel etc, well over £1b for a new United stadium

stevoc

No it's more so that after the Glazers I simply don't trust that they will care one but about the results in the pitch.

I'm sure there are Americans who would but I'm just burnt out after the Glazers.

Generally speaking other owners of different nationalities seem to be doing a better job in football.
So it's really just about nationality, fair enough at least you're honest.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
From a commercial POV, it's a success I'd say but I hate how Nasser has enabled their biggest players to have had access to him over the years therefore diminishing the coach's authority.
I hope we never see something similar to this
That is quite concerning. The last thing we need is a player who think that he is bigger then the manager

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He's absolutely embarrassing, I've been reading this thread for the past 10 hours and I can't believe some of the shit this guy has posted since then...if his account wasn't from 2010 I'd totally believe that he's being paid to write those things.
He certainly is a treat to behold.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If everyone gets a new owner then it's a disaster for United. A new owner means new players. Transfer market will be tough. I'm hoping none of Spurs and Liverpool will get a new owner, at least not at the same time as us. Maybe 2-3 years apart.

Telsim

This is becoming a lot more likely by the day, I think. No one is going to field anywhere close to what they want, because it's insane, and they know that. The Qatari have proven they'll just walk away. I don't think the Glazers ever wanted to sell fully, they just want investment, which they could still get from groups like Harris & Blitzer. But even if they don't, it's not the end of the world for them, they will just hold onto the club, betting Ten Hag can bring back success. Even if he doesn't, they can still sell the club years down the line for 4-5bn. The Glazers hold all the cards in this. Neither FSG nor the Glazers have any intention of ceding control.

Godfather

As others have mentioned, good post and also fair fecks to admitting being in camp 2. Count me in there too. Although I am not particularly ashamed for it. I don't see an issue in being critical about Qatar's politics and huge human rights issues whilst still accepting that there's a huge chance they'll be the new owners of the football club I love and hoping they'll do the best for this club.

laughtersassassin

So it's really just about nationality, fair enough at least you're honest.
That said if we do get Americans I'll give them a completely fair shake before I judge them. Same for anyone else.

It's just right now if you asked my preference I'd rather someone else.

Water Melon

This is becoming a lot more likely by the day, I think. No one is going to field anywhere close to what they want, because it's insane, and they know that. The Qatari have proven they'll just walk away. I don't think the Glazers ever wanted to sell fully, they just want investment, which they could still get from groups like Harris & Blitzer. But even if they don't, it's not the end of the world for them, they will just hold onto the club, betting Ten Hag can bring back success. Even if he doesn't, they can still sell the club years down the line for 4-5bn. The Glazers hold all the cards in this. Neither FSG nor the Glazers have any intention of ceding control.
If they do not sell, we will have a pretty shite transfer window and the team won't be strengthened properly. Hopefully, there will be huge protests.

Sveinp

Supports
Just read a post on the LFC scandinavian FB page claiming that QIA only turned their interest to United after having failed to agree terms with FSG . They were allegedly interested in buying a minority share of LFC.
Story based on a tweet by a bloke called Alex Miller.Dont know him or whether he is tier 1,2 or 8.
Can anyone shed a light on this. Is it true, or are the scouse only trying to feel better about themselves.?

Cantonagotmehere

Great post. I am mix between 2 and 3. I am fine with Qatar winning out and have said as much in this thread. I sadly, got drawn into the slop with #4 when they told me I am scared to send my kids to school, walk around my town at night, etc.., etc...

AlPistacho

Kuwait and Bahrain as well. Especially Kuwait where woman are pretty much active parts of society.
Just to add to this. I think the problem with many peoples opinions on women in the ME is that they take a few outliers like no education for women in Afghanistan (not even ME) or women not being allowed to drive in Saudi and apply it to every ME country.

That’s an understandable basic way of thinking. And one that keeps people safe without having to research or think deeply. Eg if I went abroad, there are areas where this way of thinking could keep me safe in regards to avoiding crime in certain areas.

However before I decide to start commenting on it and calling every White, Black, Mexican, Vietnamese, etc in the USA a gang member I would first have to do research and on doing so I would find out that’s not the case. Similar concept applies to judging the negative aspects of parts of the ME.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Seeing how many people shit on US government in the political threads, what you assumed it's very unlikely.
Depends on which party is running it, the political threads tend to shit on the wackadoos, which are almost always of the Republican nature

Zed 101

If everyone gets a new owner then it's a disaster for United. A new owner means new players. Transfer market will be tough. I'm hoping none of Spurs and Liverpool will get a new owner, at least not at the same time as us. Maybe 2-3 years apart.
Not really, if the playing field is level then it is healthiest for competition, as much as I am am through and through a utd fan, I would not want to be massively dominant it becomes boring, I know I will take pelters, there were times under SAF where success became a bit meh! what makes the prem the best is the competition from top to bottom, there are no real gimmies!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

I do think there is another camp, maybe a 1.5, although they'll prove short-lived.

Those resigned to the lack of realistic good outcomes. They hope some mythical benign billionaire will appear, but know this is unlikely.

They love the club and find state ownership embodies a lot of what they hate about modern football, sportswashing etc included. But they don't how they'll really feel two years down the line.
Can we live with the ownership if the club is just allowed to spend it's own money, unlike under the Glazers, or will the new owners diminish their love so their interest fades over time. That I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.