Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparx99

Do you think Bayern are doomed to eternal mediocrity because they aren’t owned by an autocratic middle eastern oil and gas state ?
Bayern have a monopoly on the best German talent. We’ve all seen how many free transfers they’ve had from other Bundesliga teams. They have their own way of competing.

Castia

They compete in the CL and routinely achieve better results than us there. PSG and City could learn a thing or two from them given that neither seems capable of winning it. So much for the gratuitous splendor of sugar daddy ownership.

But they’d qualify for the CL much easier in the Bundesliga than they would in England without a proper budget. Not saying they aren’t a massive club because they are but if they were in the PL they would have to be run much different they have a complete monopoly in German football

Sir Erik ten Hag

Got to say kudos to INEOS and Jassim, they really are United fans!

They have what it takes to own United based on today, the deadline has passed and they are "preparing a bid" they really understand the culture of the club in recent transfer windows.
Football heritage :drool:

MTF

A bunch of the complaints about United and the lack of spending translate across pretty well to Bayern. They lost Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Lewandowski, over the years... they're replaced none of these players over time with big money signings. They don't have a top striker, they replaced most of the last generation with academy players or players that other teams didn't want... and yet they're among the favorites to win the UCL, again. Says something about how absolutely vital money is to being competitive :rolleyes:

Castia

Yeah, the Champions League. They've beaten those teams a few times.

Not the point I’m making. Nobody is saying Bayern aren’t a great side the question was how do Bayern do well w/o oil money….much easier to do in a weaker league where they have a monopoly on pretty much the whole of Germany

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But they’d qualify for the CL much easier in the Bundesliga than they would in England without a proper budget. Not saying they aren’t a massive club because they are but if they were in the PL they would have to be run much different
I'm not talking about qualifying for it, I'm talking more about their overall success in the CL - which is better than ours or any other PL club. I don't think it has anything to do with the Bundesliga ownership rules, but rather that Bayern are consistently very well run, which shows you don't need to be owned by oil money to be successful at the highest level. The guy that owns Arsenal isn't worth very much, but seems to have them back again (blud) as well.

Blood Mage

I think it's a tighter race between Jassim and Ratcliffe than we think, which is why they've asked for an extension to fine-tune their bids. Both seem to be confident of winning.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Do you think Bayern are doomed to eternal mediocrity because they aren’t owned by an autocratic middle eastern oil and gas state ?
Not a good comparison. Bayern have the pick of German talent from any club. The league is set up for Bayern to dominate.

mu4c_20le

Not the point I’m making. Nobody is saying Bayern aren’t a great side the question was how do Bayern do well w/o oil money….much easier to do in a weaker league where they have a monopoly on pretty much the whole of Germany
Curious where you think they would finish in the PL

MiamiSpartan

I meant the 31% owners, the investment groups that own the odd 6/7%s. United is a cash cow for them as well, not just for the Glazers.
No one ever seem to discuss how they have been milking us too.Do they think handing their shares back is good business long term?
It isn't a cash cow for them, though. The average stock price has been mostly flat for the last decade, with the exception of the recent surge based on takeover talk. Well below the NYSE average growth, and with dividend yield we'll below average.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I wasn't talking about the league. Having the pick of German talent isn't indicative CL success.
For arguments sake they've only won the competition, what twice in the last 20 years? I don't think they're as dominant as we think in Europe based off that.

MTF

Their squad is more multinational than you're giving them credit for. Pavard, Davies, de Ligt, Sane, Coman, Hernandez. Some of these are academy players for them, some bought from clubs outside Germany. Their success is that they buy well, develop really well, and they maintain a very strong competitive culture within the club, something United used to do over a decade ago.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It isn't a cash cow for them, though. The average stock price has been mostly flat for the last decade, with the exception of the recent surge based on takeover talk. Well below the NYSE average growth, and with dividend yield we'll below average.
Okay . Their side hustle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For arguments sake they've only won the competition, what twice in the last 20 years? I don't think they're as dominant as we think in Europe based off that.
They've the 2nd most match wins in CL history behind Madrid. They've won the cup twice in the past decade. Not too shabby.

MTF

That's true, but I'd argue that they're more consistently in the semis and quarter finals in that period than say, Barcelona.

Cantonagotmehere

we are talking about Manchester United. The club that lost almost a whole team in 1958 but won the biggest trophies around in the next ten years. The club that got relegated, came back, and became the dominant force in British football. The idea that some people think that we need Qatar is just depressing
I will handle any out come just fine and root for the team, but I totally agree with you. If the Glazers are gone (and of course if Elliot does not take over...) we will be a force again. We just need them gone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I will handle any out come just fine and root for the team, but I totally agree with you. If the Glazers are gone (and of course if Elliot does not take over...) we will be a force again. We just need them gone.
Agreed. Get rid of the Glazers and the debt and we're back in business with just about any owner. The club generates enough money on its own to keep us competitive among the other big clubs.

Cantonagotmehere

A bunch of the complaints about United and the lack of spending translate across pretty well to Bayern. They lost Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Lewandowski, over the years... they're replaced none of these players over time with big money signings. They don't have a top striker, they replaced most of the last generation with academy players or players that other teams didn't want... and yet they're among the favorites to win the UCL, again. Says something about how absolutely vital money is to being competitive :rolleyes:
Apples and oranges, the league is joke compared to EPL and the dwarf all other German clubs.

and sorry, I also should say to your point, they scout well and have proper football men running the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree with what you've posted. Bayern have the pick of the best talent from within Germany. And Germany is a big football nation which has historically produced the best football teams in Europe. Germany's ability to produce players and coaches is absolutely indicative of their success both in Europe and the world. They're also the most successful country in Europe when it comes to winning at national level.

And when a team like Bayern has the luxury of being the #1 team in a country where they historically produce top players and coaches, you will be successful.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think the other bids are ghosts or just proposals for financing or at best small stakes. The two main bidders, Jassim and Ratcliffe are the only serious ones.

There is just too much work to be done within that 7-day window. If Jassim needed an extension I could have guaranteed you that Ratcliffe's team would have needed more considering the delegation that went.

Mindhunter

He's talking about the CL not the German league.
They are related. They wouldn’t get in the CL consistently if they had to compete with 8 other heavy spenders in the league. They have predictable cash flows from CL that makes a huge difference. In the PL, no one has that except Man City and they don’t even need the cash.

It’s sad but this is what it has come to. You need a sugar daddy to compete in the PL consistently over a period of time.

M4YON

After being up 8% at one point today, it finishes nearly flat

Appears the shareholders are as uncertain as we are about whether the Glazers will actually go. No second bids from Jazzy and Jim probably didn't help.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the other bids are ghosts or just proposals for financing or at best small stakes. The two main bidders, Jassim and Ratcliffe are the only serious ones.

There is just too much work to be done within that 7-day window. If Jassim needed an extension I could have guaranteed you that Ratcliffe's team would have needed more considering the delegation that went.
What would be the purpose of bidding for small stakes when one guy wants to buy the club out right ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They are related. They wouldn’t get in the CL consistently if they had to compete with 8 other heavy spenders in the league. They have predictable cash flows from CL that makes a huge difference. In the PL, no one has that except Man City and they don’t even need the cash.

It’s sad but this is what it has come to. You need a sugar daddy to compete in the PL consistently over a period of time.
Which 8 are you referring to ? Sure they get into the CL on a regular basis, but so have Dortmund since 2011. There's a massive difference between qualifying for the CL and being the 2nd most successful team in the completion's history.

As for the Premier League - Arsenal don't have a sugar daddy owner, nor did Leicester. It has nothing to do with winning. City's success is because they are a very well run club who have made right coaching and player transfer decisions over the past decade. No galactico buys during that period.

sglowrider

Agreed. Get rid of the Glazers and the debt and we're back in business with just about any owner. The club generates enough money on its own to keep us competitive among the other big clubs.
That's a misconception.

Firstly to buy the club its costs additional money. To pay off the debt it costs money. (And that's assuming that the new owners arent expecting some financial returns on those investments.)

Then the financial resources that were shifted from general infrastructure upkeep or even some sinking fund to upgrade OT or training ground, were clearly stripped away to pay for high-profile player transfers.

With a new owner, we need to spend the money on the decade of neglect of the infrastructure.

All that eats into whatever revenues we are currently making. So even if we clear the debt we are still underwater for the other areas, which I suspect cumulatively we can afford without some (working) capital injection -- our current revenue levels arent enough to recoup for all the projects that should have been done in the past.

sglowrider

What would be the purpose of bidding for small stakes when one guy wants to buy the club out right ?
The Glazers will use the value of the small stake bids to leverage against Jassim/Ratcliffe at the next stage of negotiation. For example -- say they ask for 10% at 1billion. Then the glazers will value their entire holdings against that value/offer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's a misconception.

Firstly to buy the club its costs additional money. To pay off the debt it costs money. (And that's assuming that the new owners arent expecting some financial returns on those investments.)

Then the financial resources that were shifted from general infrastructure upkeep or even some sinking fund to upgrade OT or training ground, were clearly stripped away to pay for high-profile player transfers.

With a new owner, we need to spend the money on the decade of neglect of the infrastructure.

All that eats into whatever revenues we are currently making. So even if we clear the debt we are still underwater for the other areas, which I suspect cumulatively we can afford without some (working) capital injection -- our current revenue levels arent enough to recoup for all the projects that should have been done in the past.
I'm sure all of that has already been factored in by both parties. Neither will want to buy the club and allow its infrastructure to languish, and in the process, alienate the fanbase from the get go.

MF1138

We know so little about the Qatari group and most of what we do think we know comes from sources that have clearly been getting fed info direct from the Qatari group themselves. The same sources that have got caught with their pants down confirming a bid that hasn't happened yet.

j65454

A bunch of the complaints about United and the lack of spending translate across pretty well to Bayern. They lost Schweinsteiger,
They hardly 'lost' Schweinsteiger, he was cooked when he left.

j65454

How many times did United win the Champions league in the Fergie years when we could pretty much steal anyone's players apart those at Baraca and Madrid?

sglowrider

We know so little about the Qatari group and most of what we do think we know comes from sources that have clearly been getting fed info direct from the Qatari group themselves. The same sources that have got caught with their pants down confirming a bid that hasn't happened yet.
The only people who need to know everything is the folks at Raine Group on behalf of their client. Thats their job.
It doesn't matter whether what we know is correct or incorrect. So if Jassim is some fictitious person then it's on Raine. And if they have not figured that out by now then the Glazers ought to sue them.

MF1138

Raine care about getting getting the best value not about the buyers intentions for the club. The Qatari PR through Mike Keegan, and the like, is for us, and if it can't be trusted that's an issue for me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Both main bidders haven't bid thus journalists from both sides were caught with their pants down. It kind of confirms what we already know. Sports journalists aren't very good

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Raine care about getting getting the best value not about the buyers intentions for the club. The Qatari PR through Mike Keegan, and the like, is for us, and if it can't be trusted that's an issue for me.
Shouldn't we worry about SJR though? This is his second late bid (ie United and Chelsea) after all.

sglowrider

Both main bidders haven't bid thus journalists from both sides were caught with their pants down. It kind of confirms what we already know. Sports journalists aren't very good
Or they found out about each other's bid and need to recalculate before submitting?
My blood pressure goes up just thinking of this -- trying to do all that in 7 days. Discovering mistakes in your spreadsheets etc or finding out new legal/contractual obligations even for my rinky-dink businesses.
I cant imagine the pressure of trying to figure out a re-jigged business case after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.