Gaming God of War (2018)

AgentP

I'm stuck at Nilfeim. How do I navigate through this place? I'm not able to find my way back in time and get killed by the mist.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm stuck at Nilfeim. How do I navigate through this place? I'm not able to find my way back in time and get killed by the mist.
Get Nilfeim gear and only go so far that you know you can get back to safety in time.

AgentP

Get Nilfeim gear and only go so far that you know you can get back to safety in time.
Got some of the gear after opening 3 chests. But it is taking too long to collect the mist echoes. I am only able to collect around 1000 per try.

afrocentricity

Got some of the gear after opening 3 chests. But it is taking too long to collect the mist echoes. I am only able to collect around 1000 per try.
I haven't played much beyond where you are as I'm waiting for new game plus, maybe someone else can assist you better.

Stanzin Lama

The more you upgrade your gear the better. There are also some enchantments that help to last longer in the mist. I also got frustrated at first, but you have to persist through it I guess. The game play of Niflheim also grew on me so at one stage, I spent hours just going through the mazes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I want to talk/read about this because it's so bloody outstanding but I don't want to ruin a thing since I'm in the middle (probably last 1/4th really) of it. But feck I spend half the time in absolute awe and the other half hoping this lasts a long long time (which it into :( ).

The way this is headed, I've possibly played three of my all time top 10/5 games in the last 2 years which is bonkers. Take that @Redlambs :D

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I want to talk/read about this because it's so bloody outstanding but I don't want to ruin a thing since I'm in the middle (probably last 1/4th really) of it. But feck I spend half the time in absolute awe and the other half hoping this lasts a long long time (which it into :( ).

The way this is headed, I've possibly played three of my all time top 10/5 games in the last 2 years which is bonkers. Take that @Redlambs :D
Same, and they're all (apart from The Witcher 3) Sony or Nintendo exclusives, too. They really knock them out of the park. Shows the difference giving devs time to make their games and dedicating resources to a single console makes.

Uncharted 4, Horizon, GoW, BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 are all modern (or close to it at least) classics imo.

Adam-Utd

Interesting. Unless it’s recency bias I think so too.
I think game makers have really stepped it up recently, I guess the extra money / power from the machines makes it possible.

GOW is definitely the best all round game I can think of. No weaknesses apart from maybe more interesting armour sets, but that's just being really niggly.

I love the way they use Atreus to help in combat.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

You are a sucker and a sheep.
GoW is awesome though!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just finished it. For my first game in the series I was hugely impressed. The battle mechanics were fun, the story was incredible and the relationship between Kratos and Atreus was done perfectly (even if he did turn into a little twat for a while after finding out he was a God). Sindri, Brok and Mimir were excellent too.

Main gripes with the game was the repetitive back and forth between places, it did grow a bit tiresome after a while, but I can let it slide. I also thought going to find Mimir's second eye in the World Serpeant was poorly done. Just happened to find a chest within thirty seconds of getting inside with it in. Should have been better. Probably the only other gripe was it was a bit too easy, though I was playing on normal. Will do a NG+ at some point and up the difficulty for more of a challenge.

Going to do my clean up of the game now, looking forward to taking on more Valkyries and hearing more of Mimir's stories.

How does this one compare to the other games in the series? And do you have to play them in order? God of War 3 is on the PS Store, whilst I 1 & 2 are on PS Now so could get a month's subscription and do them all.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Just finished it. For my first game in the series I was hugely impressed. The battle mechanics were fun, the story was incredible and the relationship between Kratos and Atreus was done perfectly (even if he did turn into a little twat for a while after finding out he was a God). Sindri, Brok and Mimir were excellent too.

Main gripes with the game was the repetitive back and forth between places, it did grow a bit tiresome after a while, but I can let it slide. I also thought going to find Mimir's second eye in the World Serpeant was poorly done. Just happened to find a chest within thirty seconds of getting inside with it in. Should have been better. Probably the only other gripe was it was a bit too easy, though I was playing on normal. Will do a NG+ at some point and up the difficulty for more of a challenge.

Going to do my clean up of the game now, looking forward to taking on more Valkyries and hearing more of Mimir's stories.

How does this one compare to the other games in the series? And do you have to play them in order? God of War 3 is on the PS Store, whilst I 1 & 2 are on PS Now so could get a month's subscription and do them all.
They're completely different gameplay wise but with 1-3 play them in order.

Jagga7

Just started playing it and noticed Atreus is completely OP. He does immense damage with his arrows!

amolbhatia50k

Can't get quite get over how good this game is. I find myself trying to play it in slow motion because I don't want it to end.

amolbhatia50k

The influence of the Souls series over this game and the entire gaming industry is great to see.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The influence of the Souls series over this game and the entire gaming industry is great to see.
Yeah, true, this and The Witcher 3 were clearly massively influenced and they're two of my favourite games of this generation (possibly ever). Still, I'm glad most AAA games are influenced by the combat and not the severe difficulty :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Still haven't played this yet, waiting for a good deal for it.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah, true, this and The Witcher 3 were clearly massively influenced and they're two of my favourite games of this generation (possibly ever). Still, I'm glad most AAA games are influenced by the combat and not the severe difficulty :lol:
Maybe I'm overrating this, but to me it just highlights the importance of the souls series and how it's impacted gaming as a whole. There are the very obvious Souls genre games which are based around difficulty and self torment. But GoW shows this is not the only influence the Souls game have. The key bit isn't merely how brutal they are but how every action seems to have a certain weight to it. Which in this case applied to more story heavy works brilliantly.

Adam-Utd

So whats the new game + like? I'm debating whether to play it again or just trade it in considering there's no DLC in the near horizon.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Hello, nobody calls me sucker. Sheep are cute.
Tis a great game to be sure. And the Souls influence on games is great to see. Could do with more difficult ones though ;)

Hey, hey, I may be a sucker and a sheep, but I... uh... what was that third thing you said?
I think he mumbled something about lousy stonecutter...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Bought it to play while my girl is on her trip in the US from the 3rd, i'll have the whole living-room for myself for 3 weeks. :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bought it to play while my girl is on her trip in the US from the 3rd, i'll have the whole living-room for myself for 3 weeks. :)
Been living with my gf since Jan and oh my god have I learned to appreciate being able to just play my games with nobody around :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Been living with my gf since Jan and oh my god have I learned to appreciate being able to just play my games with nobody around :lol:
My girl tends to buy me games and ask what i find interesting with different games. Encouraging me even!

Yes, I've put a ring on her finger.
Enjoy, it's an immense game!
Will do! Was reserved until I read from people playing it that it had a leveling system, which was what I felt was needed for me to actually play though it and not just buy it, play it for a few hours and put it away like a lot of others pretty games. :p

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My girl tends to buy me games and ask what i find interesting with different games. Encouraging me even!

Yes, I've put a ring on her finger.
Mine watches if the game is interesting enough, like she wants to watch me play RDR2 but often she wants to be doing other shit with me, which is fair.

afrocentricity

If you have the space, get 2 TVs in the living room. So you can both sit together and chat etc... Good if you have kids too.

Can't watch most of the stuff my missus watches and she has minimal interest in games, but we'll sit together catching jokes etc. No arguements over the TV etc.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just finished up, Valk Queen, "secret" ending and all.
Overall great game, but some minor issues that takes it down for me compared to the others in best for the system, most noticeably the camera is just meh. Gets too clunky at times.
Also hit a bug where I had gotten the realm rift in Veithurgard, but it didn't come up on that part of the map, even if the midgard map as a whole registered it. This alone, even if it doesn't work against the platinum, makes me not want to bother with picking up every little thing for it.

I understand for balancing purposes why you have to get further into the story before upgrading your weapons further, but it's something that will always bug me. I really prefer the option of grinding for hours to become overpowered early.

Found the "boy, boy, boy, boy" talk overdone.
Kratos felt heavy in a bad way when climbing, and couldn't even jump down small places when climbing unless they planned for a trigger to be there...

Last edited:

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Playing through it all again in new game plus with everything unlocked from the beginning is amazing and everything I wanted :drool:

I might now even put this on par with the witcher 3 as my favourite game this generation.

AgentP

Defeated the Valkyrie queen at last. Completed 75% of the game. Can't be bothered to go for 100 especially with Odin's ravens taking too long to hit. Now onto HZD till Fifa is out.