Gaming God of War (2018)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just finished it. Darn, I just finished it. It's a special, special game and one I sort of wish kept going on. It finished abruptly but I actually didn't realise that this is the first of a series. As that, this is one of the best experiences I've ever had. I don't know if I've ever seen a first movie of a trilogy this good. Wow. Just amazing.

amolbhatia50k

Alright so my initial reactions. And I'm putting it in spoilers because I genuinely feel one should into this game completely unaware of nearly everything it contains.

• This is the absolute pinnacle of 'action' action games, for me. It has set a completely new bar, in this regard. If I could pick one combat system from all the ones I've experienced, I'd go for the one in GoW. It takes the impeccably strong foundations of the Souls series, builds on it and arrives at a more fluid, less difficult and in the end, more apt one for most settings/kinds of games.
  • The world is gorgeous and the level design was masterfully done. There's no enormous map with little boxes to tick, but the actual places really do breathe and have put together with lots of care. The lake of 9 and how it unravels was brilliant.
  • The music is sparse but it works really well
  • Terrific writing. I never felt anything dragged. It always felt natural, fresh, surprising and interesting.
  • Kratos is a fantastic character. They've taken a fun but largely one-note character and turned him into one of the best and most interesting I've seen in gaming.
  • They better not kill of Kratos. The last thing I want to see is Atreus/Loki becoming the main character after Kratos dies. I think despite the good work they did with Atreus' development, Kratos is the pillar on which this game and franchise stands. It would be a weaker series without him. I do worry about this being more about Atreus' than Kratos.
  • I never fought Odin and Thor! I really thought that would be the real climax. But now I do realise that this is the origin story of something much much bigger. And that's fantastic in itself. As far as origin stories goes, this is one of the best experiences I've ever played or see across any medium.
  • Apparently they may explore other mythology too such as Egyptian. fecking get it!
  • Mimir - such a great character and what a lovely way to inform you about lore. Atreus' notes - Short, smart and snappy. Compare this to MGSV's audiotapes. This how you inform the gamer without boring his tits off.
  • I wish I saw more of the other realms. They were too small.
  • So many unanswered questions. On the giants. On Kratos. On Faye. On Odin. On Thor. On the Serpent. This is worst than waiting for any show. Argh.
  • Boy.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Alright so my initial reactions. And I'm putting it in spoilers because I genuinely feel one should into this game completely unaware of nearly everything it contains.

• This is the absolute pinnacle of 'action' action games, for me. It has set a completely new bar, in this regard. If I could pick one combat system from all the ones I've experienced, I'd go for the one in GoW. It takes the impeccably strong foundations of the Souls series, builds on it and arrives at a more fluid, less difficult and in the end, more apt one for most settings/kinds of games.
  • The world is gorgeous and the level design was masterfully done. There's no enormous map with little boxes to tick, but the actual places really do breathe and have put together with lots of care. The lake of 9 and how it unravels was brilliant.
  • The music is sparse but it works really well
  • Terrific writing. I never felt anything dragged. It always felt natural, fresh, surprising and interesting.
  • Kratos is a fantastic character. They've taken a fun but largely one-note character and turned him into one of the best and most interesting I've seen in gaming.
  • They better not kill of Kratos. The last thing I want to see is Atreus/Loki becoming the main character after Kratos dies. I think despite the good work they did with Atreus' development, Kratos is the pillar on which this game and franchise stands. It would be a weaker series without him. I do worry about this being more about Atreus' than Kratos.
  • I never fought Odin and Thor! I really thought that would be the real climax. But now I do realise that this is the origin story of something much much bigger. And that's fantastic in itself. As far as origin stories goes, this is one of the best experiences I've ever played or see across any medium.
  • Apparently they may explore other mythology too such as Egyptian. fecking get it!
  • Mimir - such a great character and what a lovely way to inform you about lore. Atreus' notes - Short, smart and snappy. Compare this to MGSV's audiotapes. This how you inform the gamer without boring his tits off.
  • I wish I saw more of the other realms. They were too small.
  • So many unanswered questions. On the giants. On Kratos. On Faye. On Odin. On Thor. On the Serpent. This is worst than waiting for any show. Argh.
  • Boy.
Did you go back home after the ending?

amolbhatia50k

Did you go back home after the ending?
No but I read about it. Will do that today.

I was watching IGNs spoiler cast and

They all seem convinced that Atreus' will kill Kratos. Urgh. I'd fecking hate that. I do love this character

amolbhatia50k

I lowered the difficulty for Niflheim. I feel all dirty inside and it's not the mist.

amolbhatia50k

Noob!!

I gave up on it entirely..
I know I could have finished it on hard mode. But it would have taken a bloody long time.

I can't get enough of this game. I keep reading up about random things. The wait for the next one is going to be terrible. I look forward to it much more than I do any series.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know I could have finished it on hard mode. But it would have taken a bloody long time.

I can't get enough of this game. I keep reading up about random things. The wait for the next one is going to be terrible. I look forward to it much more than I do any series.
I honestly contemplated turning down the difficulty a few times at the beginning. Hard is really hard before you get any decent moves etc. I loved the game, but got kinda bored after beating the story sadly.

amolbhatia50k

I honestly contemplated turning down the difficulty a few times at the beginning. Hard is really hard before you get any decent moves etc. I loved the game, but got kinda bored after beating the story sadly.
Which is fine! There's plenty to do. I made sure I did the side missions alongwith the story rather than after. Just these one or two things pending.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

How good would it be if it was released alongside PS5 in 2019-2020?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just finished the story... What a game, definitely one of the best I've ever played and is GOAT category.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Did you go home afterwards?
I didn't at first but then I had some unanswerd questions which I Googled and realised there was one more scene at the end, which was great.

The only thing I found disappointing is that they didn't really explain what happened to Kratos after he killed himself at the end of Gow 3 and no explanation how or why he went to midgard.

amolbhatia50k

There is no way they completely kill of Kratos. He is an icon and a cash machinew they would be dumb to do so.
Hope so. He is the heart of the story/game no matter how relevant Atreus becomes IMO.

Gosh I can't get enough of this game. Seen every darn clip on YouTube. Only issue with it is that a game of this nature and attention to detail takes a lot of time, which means that if the sequel is to be anywhere near as good, it's also going to take a lot of time. Hopefully less though keeping in mind the team has done it all once already.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hope so. He is the heart of the story/game no matter how relevant Atreus becomes IMO.

Gosh I can't get enough of this game. Seen every darn clip on YouTube. Only issue with it is that a game of this nature and attention to detail takes a lot of time, which means that if the sequel is to be anywhere near as good, it's also going to take a lot of time. Hopefully less though keeping in mind the team has done it all once already.
Let's not forget that Kratos died and came back somehow several times before. It's fairly safe that they won't kill him off for good

amolbhatia50k

Let's not forget that Kratos died and came back somehow several times before. It's fairly safe that they won't kill him off for good
Yep I'm holding on to that thought too. There are some pieces of work that bring out the child in me and this is one of them. Stunning stuff.

Time for a playing it again. Btw what's the deal with NG plus? So you start with all your gear, and upgrades, is that it?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yep I'm holding on to that thought too. There are some pieces of work that bring out the child in me and this is one of them. Stunning stuff.

Time for a playing it again. Btw what's the deal with NG plus? So you start with all your gear, and upgrades, is that it?
You start with your gear and your level, but you can't bypass parts that you couldn't earlier in the game. There are lots of new upgrades and stuff too, plus the Valkyries are much, much harder. Well worth playing if you don't mind the story again. NG+ plus Give Me God of War = agony.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You start with your gear and your level, but you can't bypass parts that you couldn't earlier in the game. There are lots of new upgrades and stuff too, plus the Valkyries are much, much harder. Well worth playing if you don't mind the story again. NG+ plus Give Me God of War = agony.
Is it comparable to Horizon NG+ Ultra Hard?

amolbhatia50k

Is it really sensible though? Seems a DS level difficulty which is rather have in DS game. I mean who found the Valkeries easy on Hard mode anyways.

afrocentricity

Is it really sensible though? Seems a DS level difficulty which is rather have in DS game. I mean who found the Valkeries easy on Hard mode anyways.
Dunno man. UH on Horizon makes that game so much better, imo. That's why I asked the question above.... But no answer yet :(

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is it comparable to Horizon NG+ Ultra Hard?
Yeah, the beginning is stupidly hard tbh unless you are level 8 or above going into it. You have no Atreyus to stun things because Kratos tells him to stay back (same as the original game) and everything one shots you pretty much. That said my first playthough I killed the Valks at level 6 and then start NG+, so was at a huge disadvantage, the NG+ Valks are different so even if you learned the patterns on the originals, they move differently and are a little quicker. If you like a challenge and don't mind dying alot its for you.

It gets a little easier once you have Atreyus to shoot stuff but because his arrows don't unlock until they unlock normally in the story its still pretty tricky. One you get 2/3 of the way through and have those arrows back and all the new gear, the difficulty eases off and only the Valks are a challenge, you'll still die occasionally but with the NG+ gear and a high level, the mid game is not as bad as DS, probably a little more difficult than UH on Horizon because the fights are in more confined spaces and are harder to avoid. The fights with Baldur are pretty straightforward enough but they take fecking ages so much so during the last boss I was tempted to switch it off and not finish it a 2nd time, because there was no way he's was gonna kill me as he couldn't land a hit, and I was battering him for very, very little damage.

Oh and special mention to the elevator part where you have to kill the enemies fast or it collapses... that's tough as hell.

That said I didn't play Horizon on UH to completion (only early game) because something else was released at the time so it may be balanced better. It's worth playing for the new Valk fights alone if you like a challenge.

afrocentricity

Yeah, the beginning is stupidly hard tbh unless you are level 8 or above going into it. You have no Atreyus to stun things because Kratos tells him to stay back (same as the original game) and everything one shots you pretty much. That said my first playthough I killed the Valks at level 6 and then start NG+, so was at a huge disadvantage, the NG+ Valks are different so even if you learned the patterns on the originals, they move differently and are a little quicker. If you like a challenge and don't mind dying alot its for you.

It gets a little easier once you have Atreyus to shoot stuff but because his arrows don't unlock until they unlock normally in the story its still pretty tricky. One you get 2/3 of the way through and have those arrows back and all the new gear, the difficulty eases off and only the Valks are a challenge, you'll still die occasionally but with the NG+ gear and a high level, the mid game is not as bad as DS, probably a little more difficult than UH on Horizon because the fights are in more confined spaces and are harder to avoid. The fights with Baldur are pretty straightforward enough but they take fecking ages so much so during the last boss I was tempted to switch it off and not finish it a 2nd time, because there was no way he's was gonna kill me as he couldn't land a hit, and I was battering him for very, very little damage.

Oh and special mention to the elevator part where you have to kill the enemies fast or it collapses... that's tough as hell.

That said I didn't play Horizon on UH to completion (only early game) because something else was released at the time so it may be balanced better. It's worth playing for the new Valk fights alone if you like a challenge.
Cheers. I'm sold... That'll be next after I finish DAI.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It is hell lol. I finished it on the hardest difficulty and it took a piece out of me

Adam-Utd

Picked this up for £20 from Argos the other day. Not that it'll be getting any attention until I'm done with RDR2.
Pisses all over RDR IMO. Completely different game of course but this is the best story telling/action game I've ever played I feel. The combat is so smooth and excellent.

b82REZ

Pisses all over RDR IMO. Completely different game of course but this is the best story telling/action game I've ever played I feel. The combat is so smooth and excellent.
IMO the combat is a level below the Soulsborne games.

It was actually the combat that frustrated me the most with this game The camera doesn't help in that regard.

Ainu

It was actually the combat that frustrated me the most with this game The camera doesn't help in that regard.
Pretty much every game out there has combat that's at least several levels below Soulsborne, to be fair. But now you've made that comparison, is it like those games in any way? I mean, is it more about positioning, timing and balancing offence and defence (like a Soulsborne game) or more of a button masher?

Cloud7

The combat was probably my least favorite thing about GOW, as I’m much more of a fan of the style of combat in the initial GOW trilogy, but the story telling was brilliant, as I’ve come to expect from GOW.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

I think the combat was decent, where it is a level below the soulsbourne games is the fake difficulty trick of having enemies just appear out of nowhere in waves. Even Souls 2 had way more thought in enemy placement.

Still, a cracking game all round though.