Gaming God of War (2018)

b82REZ

I'm really torn with this game, obviously its gorgeous to look at, the characters are really fleshed out and the world is amazing. But I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It starts off really slow, which I can forgive as it does help build the new Kratos, but for me the biggest issue is the combat. At times it feels really fluid and I feel like a god, but the camera is awful in any close quarters or group battles which has lead to me dying needlessly dozens of times. I want to love this game but at the moment, although I'm enjoying it to some extent its just not clicking completely. I don't have any real urge to play it in my free time but I think I'll plough on for a few more hours, if it hasn't clicked by then I doubt it ever will.

Anyone else feel like this? I did read it can take a while to get going but I feel like I'm past that point now (currently fighting the dragon at the top of the mountain).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm really torn with this game, obviously its gorgeous to look at, the characters are really fleshed out and the world is amazing. But I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It starts off really slow, which I can forgive as it does help build the new Kratos, but for me the biggest issue is the combat. At times it feels really fluid and I feel like a god, but the camera is awful in any close quarters or group battles which has lead to me dying needlessly dozens of times. I want to love this game but at the moment, although I'm enjoying it to some extent its just not clicking completely. I don't have any real urge to play it in my free time but I think I'll plough on for a few more hours, if it hasn't clicked by then I doubt it ever will.

Anyone else feel like this? I did read it can take a while to get going but I feel like I'm past that point now (currently fighting the dragon at the top of the mountain).
How do you mean? I've never really noticed an issue. Perhaps press R3 to lock yourself onto 1 particular enemy?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Hell naw. Loved it from the start and it's one of the best games of the generation, easily!

afrocentricity

The camera is a bit annoying early on. I remember feeling that.... Dissipated tho.

b82REZ

How do you mean? I've never really noticed an issue. Perhaps press R3 to lock yourself onto 1 particular enemy?
The camera is far too close to Kratos and the fact the devs put those stupid arrows in prove they knew it was an issue. If they pulled the camera back a bit I think a lot of the combat problems and getting killed by enemies off screen would be solved.

Hell naw. Loved it from the start and it's one of the best games of the generation, easily!
I don't think it's bad per se but it's not as good as I was expecting, based on my playthrough so far. Santa Monica are clearly taking inspiration from the Soulsborne games, which isn't a bad thing, but the combat system in GoW just isn't as good as aforementioned games. Maybe that's why I'm a bit down on it. Still it's better than most games so maybe I'm being hypercritical and having too high expectations

afrocentricity

I can't get into 'Soulsborne' games. I love the combat in this tho. Don't think they are that similar tbh....

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've had no issues with that personally. It's one of the best games I've played in years.

Adam-Utd

The camera is far too close to Kratos and the fact the devs put those stupid arrows in prove they knew it was an issue. If they pulled the camera back a bit I think a lot of the combat problems and getting killed by enemies off screen would be solved.
hmm.. maybe you just need to position yourself better? if I know enemies are behind me I'll run/dodge forwards then turn around.

Obviously it's not always possible but the quick dab of the down arrow turns you around instantly, it's not an issue IMO.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
hmm.. maybe you just need to position yourself better? if I know enemies are behind me I'll run/dodge forwards then turn around.

Obviously it's not always possible but the quick dab of the down arrow turns you around instantly, it's not an issue IMO.
I had completely forgotten I could do this til I was playing yesterday and accidentally did it. I think I played most of the game without once even using it :lol:

Adam-Utd

I had completely forgotten I could do this til I was playing yesterday and accidentally did it. I think I played most of the game without once even using it :lol:
Yeah I rarely use it either TBH, but it can be handy to perform a quick block.

Adam-Utd

So is there any way to get more crest of flames without beating the Valkryie first?

Ive managed to upgrade the chest / wrist but not the waist, im like 3 crest of flames short.

I found the 2 hidden chests but I just can't see how else you can upgrade it?

afrocentricity

So is there any way to get more crest of flames without beating the Valkryie first?

Ive managed to upgrade the chest / wrist but not the waist, im like 3 crest of flames short.

I found the 2 hidden chests but I just can't see how else you can upgrade it?
That Valkyrie on the fire level? It's not that difficult once you learn the patterns.

Adam-Utd

That Valkyrie on the fire level? It's not that difficult once you learn the patterns.
Yeah I managed it over the weekend.

I realised I was making a big mistake, I kept trying to dodge all the attacks without blocking with the shield.

I forgot that the normal attacks could be blocked so I spent forever dancing side to side and screwed up the timing.

Once I did it properly I managed fine.

Starting to do Nilfheim / Ivaldi's workshop now, that seems fun! any tips?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah I managed it over the weekend.

I realised I was making a big mistake, I kept trying to dodge all the attacks without blocking with the shield.

I forgot that the normal attacks could be blocked so I spent forever dancing side to side and screwed up the timing.

Once I did it properly I managed fine.

Starting to do Nilfheim / Ivaldi's workshop now, that seems fun! any tips?
Rooms with mobs get consecutively harder. Most things 2 shot me starting from the second room on. A safe way to farm echos is just doing the first room over and over.

AgentP

Brilliant game! Finished the main story and all the favors. Now, the only things left are visiting the two new realms and fighting the valkyries. My sister also plays the game but I saved over her file by mistake. Is there any way to retrieve it? I also don't have PS Plus so there is no cloud back-up. In games like The Last of Us, we can replay any level if we have already completed it. Is that option available in GoW?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Brilliant game! Finished the main story and all the favors. Now, the only things left are visiting the two new realms and fighting the valkyries. My sister also plays the game but I saved over her file by mistake. Is there any way to retrieve it? I also don't have PS Plus so there is no cloud back-up. In games like The Last of Us, we can replay any level if we have already completed it. Is that option available in GoW?
Unfortunately we'll have to see pics of your sister to see if anything can be done.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Loved the game, I had never played the previous ones so the apparent change in style didn't mean anything to me.

I've beat it - but I just can't kill the Valkyrie Queen, she is too damn hard.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Loved the game, I had never played the previous ones so the apparent change in style didn't mean anything to me.

I've beat it - but I just can't kill the Valkyrie Queen, she is too damn hard.
Bloody hell I thought you'd died! Not seen you around for a while.

I'll be picking this up in a few weeks, looking forward to it. Never played the previous ones either.

Dolf

How many hours of gameplay does this have? Seems like a brilliant game but I always hate paying full price for a game with 0 replay value.

Massive Spanner

How many hours of gameplay does this have? Seems like a brilliant game but I always hate paying full price for a game with 0 replay value.
Around 20-ish for the main story and an extra 10-15 to do the extra side-quests and endgame I'd say.

It's worth it.

Plenty of replay value, too. I'll definitely be giving it another play-through on a harder setting at some point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It has a lot of extras after the story but even if you just play that it's worth it imo. One of the best games I've played in years.

With that being said does anyone else find they struggle to replay games or carry on after the story as they've gotten older? I swear I used to be able to do it but now even if I tell myself I'll play this after the story I just immediately lose interest in doing that once it's over. I even wanted to replay Detroit Become Human which has like 99 possible endings but even that I couldn't be arsed to do despite really enjoying the game. I just ended up YouTubing some of the endings and consequences of the decisions you make.

Massive Spanner

It has a lot of extras after the story but even if you just play that it's worth it imo. One of the best games I've played in years.

With that being said does anyone else find they struggle to replay games or carry on after the story as they've gotten older? I swear I used to be able to do it but now even if I tell myself I'll play this after the story I just immediately lose interest in doing that once it's over. I even wanted to replay Detroit Become Human which has like 99 possible endings but even that I couldn't be arsed to do despite really enjoying the game. I just ended up YouTubing some of the endings and consequences of the decisions you make.
Yeah definitely. When I was younger I used to relish 100 percenting games but now I just usually can't be arsed. Think Horizon was the last one I actually did. Lack of time I guess?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah definitely. When I was younger I used to relish 100 percenting games but now I just usually can't be arsed. Think Horizon was the last one I actually did. Lack of time I guess?
Yeah it's one of the sadder things about being an adult :lol: It's weird now only having certain time slots I can do shit during the week and not feel guilty like I'm wasting my time.

afrocentricity

Same. This, Horizon and Watchdogs are the only games I've completed in the last few years. Sad state of affairs... Probably around 20 games on my hard drive that I've started and keep telling myself that I'll go back and finish... I suspect I won't.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Bloody hell I thought you'd died! Not seen you around for a while.

I'll be picking this up in a few weeks, looking forward to it. Never played the previous ones either.
They could never keep me away from you for too long mate. Hope life is treating you well.

Yeah playing this one without playing the previous ones didn't make it any less of an awesome experience IMO. Kratos is such a badarse.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah it's one of the sadder things about being an adult :lol: It's weird now only having certain time slots I can do shit during the week and not feel guilty like I'm wasting my time.
:lol:

We're getting old now

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I feel the same. This is why I try to do as much as extra as possible when playing the main storyline because I know once it's finished, I'm unlikely to be bothered

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I just want to jump in my TV and rip that Bastard stranger's head from his body.

Great start to the game. I'll confess I've never previously played God of Wars, despite being told how great they are.

Adam-Utd

I just want to jump in my TV and rip that Bastard stranger's head from his body.

Great start to the game. I'll confess I've never previously played God of Wars, despite being told how great they are.
Probably the greatest start to a game ever IMO, what a way to set the game up :drool:

afrocentricity

Probably the greatest start to a game ever IMO, what a way to set the game up :drool:
Yeah definitely. Proper wtf moment.

Any news on new game plus?

Lucky fecker getting to play Horizon and this back to back.