Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
They've really nailed the easy to pick up, hard to master combat in this series.

I'd even place the combat above Elden Ring :nervous:
I wouldn't class Elden Ring as nearly as good as the best FromSoftware games for combat - that's easily Bloodborne and Sekiro which I would rate higher than this. The beauty of Elden Ring is the vast amount of combat styles and combinations you could use.

The combat in this is top notch for sure. Though I'd argue the camera is a bit too close to Kratos and it lacks a good targeting system.

b82REZ

I wouldn't class Elden Ring as nearly as good as the best FromSoftware games for combat - that's easily Bloodborne and Sekiro which I would rate higher than this. The beauty of Elden Ring is the vast amount of combat styles and combinations you could use.

The combat in this is top notch for sure. Though I'd argue the camera is a bit too close to Kratos and it lacks a good targeting system.
I agree. ER just has so much variety but the FS games I've enjoyed the most are the ones that don't give you loads of options for combat.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
that mothereffin nidhogg is fecking my shit up.

Might have to lower the difficulty a bit. Anyone beat it on the second hardest mode yet?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Might have to lower the difficulty a bit. Anyone beat it on the second hardest mode yet?
Yeah dodge the feck out of those attack patterns. They are pretty consistent

b82REZ

It telegraphs it's attacks all through the fight. Make sure you use your shield attack to stun lock it when it sticks its tail in the ground and starts charging up.

Other than that dodge its attacks and follow up with attacks when it stops.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Ive been having a blast but the section I played yesterday was the first time where I felt the game went into a bit of a lull. Hopefully ramps back up but I have some side quests to do today.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished the story. It’s very good. Just cleaning up all the extras now, still enjoyable. They’ve done well to not make the optional stuff feel like much of a slog (with some exceptions).

Irwin99

Ive been having a blast but the section I played yesterday was the first time where I felt the game went into a bit of a lull. Hopefully ramps back up but I have some side quests to do today.
Was that the second section with a certain character (i'm trying to avoid spoilers)?

If it is then I think that section has been almost universally panned and imo is by far the weakest part of the game. Thankfully it does end.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
33 hours in and have to say it's mostly amazing. I really find looting the legendary chests and nornir chests a real drag that destroys the pace of the game. Also the puzzles tend to be very repetitive. The main story is great and the evolution from the previous is very good. I've never been a major fan of the franchise, but this is certainly a great. I hope they make a ng+ so you can just play through the story and side quests without spending all that time looting chests and stuff.

b82REZ

33 hours in and have to say it's mostly amazing. I really find looting the legendary chests and nornir chests a real drag that destroys the pace of the game.
You do understand those things are optional?

If you feel it's slowing the pace; don't do it.

I always find complaints about optional content bizarre. If you don't like it just avoid it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The
Beserker King
is driving me insane.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You do understand those things are optional?

If you feel it's slowing the pace; don't do it.

I always find complaints about optional content bizarre. If you don't like it just avoid it.
I know. I skipped over it in the previous game, but thought I would try to be more thorough in this in, but as you say it's optional. However it doesn't mean there can be a good feeling of balance. When there is loads of optional content it doesn't mean you can't have a critique of it. If I do a 2nd playthrough I will know what to avoid. The optional content is bloody brilliant in some games, in this one I just wanted to try it out first. It's completely fair to come to the conclusion that some of it is a bit wank.

Last edited:

Bebe

I think the puzzles in this game are mostly great, but I could do with them being a little less frequent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Find myself never using the blades. The axe is just too satisfying to use. There's a lack of weight on the blades.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Find myself never using the blades. The axe is just too satisfying to use. There's a lack of weight on the blades.
The axe has really won me over this game and it's my go to. Which is blasphemy as someone who loved the original trilogy. However, the further I go on in the game, the more I'm using the blades so there's still some yin and yang.

Coxy

The axe has really won me over this game and it's my go to. Which is blasphemy as someone who loved the original trilogy. However, the further I go on in the game, the more I'm using the blades so there's still some yin and yang.
I loved the axe in the previous game - but finding it really underwhelming in Ragnarok. Going with just my fists mainly and relying on stun.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished it. 100% and got the Platinum. Fantastic game. Loved every bit of it.

Took about 47 hours in total.

Kaos

Is there a story recap for the first one? I just bought this tonight but remembered I never actually finished the last game. I got near the end and focused on side quests but didn't bother finishing the story. Can't remember what happened. And before anyone suggests just going back and playing it - I sold my PS4 and games.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Is there a story recap for the first one? I just bought this tonight but remembered I never actually finished the last game. I got near the end and focused on side quests but didn't bother finishing the story. Can't remember what happened. And before anyone suggests just going back and playing it - I sold my PS4 and games.
Yes

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's in the game collection on ps5 anyway.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The ''spread the fire'' mechanic using runic arrows is horrible.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
While I loved the combat in the last game, this is much better. More precise and some of the battles are almost balletic. The interplay between Kratos and Atreus is much more refined and, while it was a bit hit and miss at first, I’m now loving the Dauntless Shield. Making mincemeat of the Elves.

AaronRedDevil

I finally finished the game. Took about 30hrs. No way I was going to rush this. Did most of the side missions and they felt like they were part of the journey. Loved every second of it. It was hilarious at times. I liked that Sindri was more involved in this game, like Brok was in the other. I was worried they couldn’t possibly do everything needed in just this game. I was soo wrong. And they it didn’t feel shoehorned in. Odin was the biggest surprise. Didn’t expect him to be like that, all friendly but you knew he couldn’t be trusted. Thor was a big scary dude, a complete badass and loved his boss fight. Easiest 10/10 I could give. Truly a brilliant game and worth the hype.

BROK! :(. That twist was so shocking, came out of nowhere. Fecking heartbreaking and seeing Sindri like that was sad. He turned into a Warrior after that. At the same time I was delighted that they did what I was hoping for, I wanted Odin to be playing 4D chess and had some long manipulation game going on. My theory was that HE was Mimir the whole time. Since he knew all the stories about Odin, Thor and everything else and was missing an eye. But I did not see that coming, that he was Tyr the whole time. The ending was awesome, seeing Jurg fight Thor in the distance and then gets killed by Odin the bastard. Kratos change was great to see. Watching him become a better man and more sympathetic. Can’t wait to see what they do next. Did the end forshadow Kratos in Egypt? Thank feck he didn’t die. I wonder will we be playing as Atreus in the future.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I finally finished the game. Took about 30hrs. No way I was going to rush this. Did most of the side missions and they felt like they were part of the journey. Loved every second of it. It was hilarious at times. I liked that Sindri was more involved in this game, like Brok was in the other. I was worried they couldn’t possibly do everything needed in just this game. I was soo wrong. And the it didn’t feel shoehorned in. Odin was the biggest surprise. Didn’t expect him to be like that, all friendly but you knew he couldn’t be trusted. Thor was a big scary dude, a complete badass and loved his boss fight. Easiest 10/10 I could give. Truly a brilliant game and worth the hype.

BROK! :(. That twist was so shocking, came out of nowhere. Fecking heartbreaking and seeing Sindri like that was sad. He turned into a Warrior after that. At the same time I was delighted that they did what I was hoping for, I wanted Odin to be playing 4D chess and had some long manipulation game going on. My theory was that HE was Mimir the whole time. Since he knew all the stories about Odin, Thor and everything else and was missing an eye. But I did not see that coming, that he was Tyr the whole time. The ending was awesome, seeing Jurg fight Thor in the distance and then gets killed by Odin the bastard. Kratos change was great to see. Watching him become a better man and more sympathetic. Can’t wait to see what they do next. Did the end forshadow Kratos in Egypt? Thank feck he didn’t die. I wonder will we be playing as Atreus in the future.
It’s really interesting looking back at Tyr knowing the twist. There’s a moment when they realise Groa lied about the prophecy and Tyr steps forward, barging Atreus and says “she lied” which is Odin forgetting himself for a second because he’s genuinely shocked.