Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

AaronRedDevil

It’s really interesting looking back at Tyr knowing the twist. There’s a moment when they realise Groa lied about the prophecy and Tyr steps forward, barging Atreus and says “she lied” which is Odin forgetting himself for a second because he’s genuinely shocked.
oh that’s cool. I didn’t even think of that, I’ll definetly be playing this again sometime after I platinum it.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Got pissed off on MW2 so came back to this for some fun and I'm on that bit which everyone says overstays it's welcome. Dogshit.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm going to finish this today. I've put in over 30 hours and I think I'm going to go for the platinum. One thing Sony does these days is lets you play on easy, so getting the trophies is not hard. Just a bit of a grind.

I've been playing on the default difficulty and I made the right decision. I would imagine that it's a bit too easy for some, but I found it just the right challenge. I've become so bad at games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
They've really nailed the easy to pick up, hard to master combat in this series.

I'd even place the combat above Elden Ring :nervous:
Exactly. There is a suprising amount of depth there and i honestly didnt think adding vertical levels would make such a difference, but it really did.

Re Elden Ring i find them hard to compare. GoW has a much better physics engine, where as ER has endless variety.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I just got the spear. Also only just realised the actual benefit of that red armour you get from the dwarf lady. Noob. :rolleyes:
I ended up with the same blue dragons scale shoulder guards the whole game because I kept upgrading them and nothing ever seemed to be better. Hated the way they looked though :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They've really nailed the easy to pick up, hard to master combat in this series.

I'd even place the combat above Elden Ring :nervous:
What I've really loved over the weekend is sending the leviathon axe spinning off, dealing some distant damage, then chaos blading or punching / sheilding some other poor creature till I get the red R3 ring, then recalling the axe just in time to hit R3 and cut them up. Some of the fights look so very cool on top of the actuall challenge of them. Brilliant.

b82REZ

What I've really loved over the weekend is sending the leviathon axe spinning off, dealing some distant damage, then chaos blading or punching / sheilding some other poor creature till I get the red R3 ring, then recalling the axe just in time to hit R3 and cut them up. Some of the fights look so very cool on top of the actuall challenge of them. Brilliant.
I've started throwing the axe a lot more. It's just so visceral to use.

When I first played the 2018 game I hated they'd got rid of the Blades of Chaos; now I hate when I have to use them. Mixing the two up is fun though.

I even like the change of pace in combat when you play as Atreus. I personally think those sections are a nice change of pace and I don't think they outstay their welcome like a lot in this thread seem to think.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I ended up with the same blue dragons scale shoulder guards the whole game because I kept upgrading them and nothing ever seemed to be better. Hated the way they looked though :lol:
Yeah, it's tricky trying to balance wearing the best gear whilst looking as cool as possible. It seems the better-looking armour sets are the weaker ones, and it always feels wrong if Kratos is wearing too much protection. I feel like he's a skirt and bare chest guy at heart.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Beat the game just a few hours ago. Superb. It could have benefitted from more
Fights between gods. Something the first also lacked in volume, but there was more in this

Otherwise a game filled with great moments and stunning visuals. Characters pretty good too. 9/10 from me. Elden ring despite its flaws slightly edges for me for GOTY. But this is a very close 2nd.

Volumiza

I even like the change of pace in combat when you play as Atreus. I personally think those sections are a nice change of pace and I don't think they outstay their welcome like a lot in this thread seem to think.
Yeah, I agree, I've enjoyed what I've played as Atreus so far, the combat is very well implemented and after thumping around with Kratos for so long, it's nice to lighten and speed things up a abit.

Could even see Atreus having his own game in the future when he's fleshed out a bit (and stopped being a whinging teen).

Bebe

I thought about doing that, does it still parry?
It doesn't parry unfortunately, but it has an easy time absorbing fast attacks from bosses and then you can stagger them easily with its shield slam thing. Made the Maven a piece of cake for me after struggling repeatedly with the guardian shield.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've finished!. Good shit, although felt let down, somewhat, by the ending.

I was going to go for the platinum but there is far too much shit to collect. It's not fun to move around the levels once you've done the main story. I'll do a couple more side missions then leave it for now.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I am doing the side missions as they come but its got to the point where its slowing down the pace of the story so I'm going to power through on my next few sessions. Think I'm near the end.

kps88

I think I used the same ones. I kept thinking to myself "I'll change them just before I can sense a big cutscene" because I also hated how they looked.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If they made a game where all you could do was throw Kratos’ axe and recall it I’d buy it. So satisfying and it never gets boring.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’ve just taken control of Kratos again after Atreus’ meeting with Odin and the trip to Muspelheim with Thor. What the feck is that boy doing. Fully expect this mask thing to give Odin some sort of power/knowledge that will enable the prophecy of Atreus killing Kratos to come true. The irony being him trying to stop the prophecy helped him fulfil it.

hope I’m wrong. But feck this game is amazing. Atreus turning into the bear during his argument with Kratos gave me goosebumps

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
If they made a game where all you could do was throw Kratos’ axe and recall it I’d buy it. So satisfying and it never gets boring.
Or when Kratos has to chop something and R2 gives that resistance :drool:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The ''spread the fire'' mechanic using runic arrows is horrible.
The pink orb arrows and spread explosions? Yeah, it's very annoying. Trying to move debris to get to a chest last for about 10-15 minutes before the games decides, yes that's the exact correct way to place them.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Major ending spoiler:
Was I the only one who thought that loki was dead and that whole end section was sort of a dream sequence? Obviously, he wasn't but that was my first thought.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Major ending spoiler:
Was I the only one who thought that loki was dead and that whole end section was sort of a dream sequence? Obviously, he wasn't but that was my first thought.
Felt a little bit that way. The weird way he gets hit at the end and then he’s going up that area talking to everyone in the story.

AaronRedDevil

I’ve just taken control of Kratos again after Atreus’ meeting with Odin and the trip to Muspelheim with Thor. What the feck is that boy doing. Fully expect this mask thing to give Odin some sort of power/knowledge that will enable the prophecy of Atreus killing Kratos to come true. The irony being him trying to stop the prophecy helped him fulfil it.

hope I’m wrong. But feck this game is amazing. Atreus turning into the bear during his argument with Kratos gave me goosebumps
Shits about to get REAL soon.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finished the game. Overall a great game.

The combat is exceptional, I found myself using all the weapons a lot more this time round rather than just one weapon.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Whoever designed the Ormstunga side quest mini boss fight is awful.

Its acid moves and moveset are so cheap as it just blends with the enviroment.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Love parrying and thwarting an enemy back. Messed up my timing a couple of times here and was panicking towards the end. Love Mimir’s reaction when he’s downed :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Love parrying and thwarting an enemy back. Messed up my timing a couple of times here and was panicking towards the end. Love Mimir’s reaction when he’s downed :lol:

Great parrying. Was making me nervous how little you used the runic attacks though :lol: you’re basically invincible for a short period whilst using them. Also get a beserker resurrection stone.

Volumiza

I'm not a huge fan of all these remakes we get spoon fed these days but I can't help but close my eyes tightly and wish they would remake the first 3 games in this current engine. Ragnarok is reminding me of the sheer scale of those early games.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great parrying. Was making me nervous how little you used the runic attacks though :lol: you’re basically invincible for a short period whilst using them. Also get a beserker resurrection stone.
What period would that be then as I've lost count of the amount of times I've been snuffed out in the middle of one? :confused:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm about 36 hrs in and have
beaten the dragon and rescued that dude who fell off the floating boat in Vanaheim
Have been pretty much doing all the favours/side quests along the way. How many hours do you reckon I've got left? (my mate keeps bugging me to finish so he can borrow it but I'm not rushing on his behalf)

Also, what a complete pussy
Heimdal
was. Was incredibly satisfying smashing his face in for sure but expected a bit more from him.

Bosws87

Not put too much time into this yet got a few solid sessions with it.

I'm enjoying it the combats fun also quite satisfying if you don't just mash R1 throughout every fight.

The camera for fighting is not great possibly the weakest part of the combat, presentation, dialogue etc is top of class as to be expected.

I'll enjoy it and will run through all the side quests apart from the tedious ones like the odin birds.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What difficulty were you on? Unless I know I can get it off on time I dont bother.... No invincibility for me.
Give Me Balance. I basically spammed Runic attacks for every Berserker fight because I had decent cooldown and knew I could get all six off twice during a fight. Add that to the berserker resurrection stone and it's the only way I beat the king at the end.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Give Me Balance. I basically spammed Runic attacks for every Berserker fight because I had decent cooldown and knew I could get all six off twice during a fight. Add that to the berserker resurrection stone and it's the only way I beat the king at the end.

Hmmmm...

I'll be back later

b82REZ

What difficulty were you on? Unless I know I can get it off on time I dont bother.... No invincibility for me.
You definitely gets some iframes with the runic attacks but I'm not so sure you do if you're attacked from behind when you're doing it.