g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gold Cup 2019

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just watching the US-Guyana game. Everything I read made it seem like we (US) were awful but I thought we’ve looked decent, I’m only to half at this point. Good young squad, Pulisic is looking like quite a player.
I would hope so vs Guyana

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Great second half by the US. Pulisic is so nice on the ball he just glides with it. Love our Golden boy. Bradley having a good second half we have no one in the ream who can pass like him. Good for Zardes to get 2 goals as well.

SportingCP96

Supports
6-0 and 2 goals for the Red Bulls man Aaron Long:drool:

SportingCP96

Supports
Were they really that dreadful? I only watched the first 10 minutes or so but I haven’t seen many dreadful 6-0 wins.
Second Half was Great fluid football. First was a tad bland but not "dreadful"

SportingCP96

Supports
Chelsea got a dime in that young American.

Red-Jeff

Chelsea got a dime in that young American.
Yeah he has really quick feet and seems to be very technically gifted. Is a little selfish but not terrible decision making considering how young he is. Might be our first real top level talent that doesn’t play keeper. I think a lot of Americans are trying to remain reserved and not put too much pressure on him but he is an exciting talent.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yeah he has really quick feet and seems to be very technically gifted. Is a little selfish but not terrible decision making considering how young he is. Might be our first real top level talent that doesn’t play keeper. I think a lot of Americans are trying to remain reserved and not put too much pressure on him but he is an exciting talent.
Has the potential to be the best American player ever no doubt. Still so young and feels he has been around forever.
His assist for Zardes first goal was great dribbling and awareness.

I also really like Tyler Adams and Westen.

Red-Jeff

Has the potential to be the best American player ever no doubt. Still so young and feels he has been around forever.
His assist for Zardes first goal was great dribbling and awareness.

I also really like Tyler Adams and Westen.
Didn’t see his assist, I’ll look for it when I watch the replay.

I’ve heard a lot about Westen but don’t know much about Tyler. I’m impartial to Morris but that’s because I’m a Sounder fan. Although I really like Morris I’m not sure if he has the technical ability required to be more than a role player. Sounds like he had a good game after coming on, he’s rapid!

SportingCP96

Supports
Didn’t see his assist, I’ll look for it when I watch the replay.

I’ve heard a lot about Westen but don’t know much about Tyler. I’m impartial to Morris but that’s because I’m a Sounder fan. Although I really like Morris I’m not sure if he has the technical ability required to be more than a role player. Sounds like he had a good game after coming on, he’s rapid!
Two Assists for him but I will admit I don't like Morris too much. Adams was fantastic at RB Leipzig and at NYRB he has one of the highest potentials out of the players in the national team. The Red Bulls have a pretty good academy. Aaron Long was also great showing why he won defender of the year last season. Bradley did well at Spreading the play like and pinging balls around like only he can and Zardes did well for both of his goals (should of had a hat trick).

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The US got the win that they always should against T&T. How they lost to them in WC qualifying is still beyond me.
Pulisic with a goal and 2 assists.
Looking forward to seeing him at Chelsea. Hopefully he’ll do well and get even better.

edcunited1878

Pulisic at country level is similar to Pogba at club level in that both players are head and shoulders, miles and miles, the best most talented player. If they struggle or get marked out, the team will struggle because there isn't enough quality to even out the burden.

Pulisic is a great(est) American talent and he has a proper head on his shoulders. I hope he continues to develop at Chelsea as his national team teammates improve their play abroad.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Pulisic is by far the most talented outfield player we've ever had. At 20 years old, he's better than Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey were at their peaks.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Pulisic is by far the most talented outfield player we've ever had. At 20 years old, he's better than Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey were at their peaks.
This is true. I believe Donovan had tons of potential but didn't have the mental fortitude to hack it in Europe so retreated to the US at 19 and played in a league that never truly tested him nor developed that potential. He was content with being a big fish in a small pond. He became a pretty good player but simply a dime-a-dozen type globally. He had a very good stint at Everton one half-season, think it was 2010, that displayed how good he could be at times and that he likely could have made it in Europe if he was patient.

I think Dempsey is a case of what could have been, in that had he forgone the college route and developed at a proper academy who knows how good he could have become. American players using the college route lose so much development and I wholly believe stunts their progress/lowers their ceiling. Dempsey probably had more natural attacking ability than Donovan.

Course John O'Brien was better than both.

SportingCP96

Supports
This is true. I believe Donovan had tons of potential but didn't have the mental fortitude to hack it in Europe so retreated to the US at 19 and played in a league that never truly tested him nor developed that potential. He was content with being a big fish in a small pond. He became a pretty good player but simply a dime-a-dozen type globally. He had a very good stint at Everton one half-season, think it was 2010, that displayed how good he could be at times and that he likely could have made it in Europe if he was patient.

I think Dempsey is a case of what could have been, in that had he forgone the college route and developed at a proper academy who knows how good he could have become. American players using the college route lose so much development and I wholly believe stunts their progress/lowers their ceiling. Dempsey probably had more natural attacking ability than Donovan.

Course John O'Brien was better than both.
Donovan was the poster boy but Dempsey was by far the better player IMO. He was a big game player and also a very good player. Easily in my Top 3 Americans of all time. He scored double digit goals in the EPL and was a good player at Fulham. Stints at Spurs.

Pulisic by far has the highest ceiling and overall potential out of ANY American ever BUT I would not go as far to say that he is already better then Dempsey for example.

Eila

Is Vela even playing this thing? Think I saw Raul Jimenez score a few goals but with Vela know living in the States thought he would be there.
He's most likely retired from the NT. The coach didn't outright say it, probably in case he keeps his superb form closer to the World Cup.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
4 hometown boys on the pitch today but only 1 goals. Cavallini is close enough I guess.

Such a change from the days of struggling against the likes of Cuba and Martinique. Loving the strides we're making and even better that I get to see so many of my friends and locals be apart of it.

SportingCP96

Supports
4 hometown boys on the pitch today but only 1 goals. Cavallini is close enough I guess.

Such a change from the days of struggling against the likes of Cuba and Martinique. Loving the strides we're making and even better that I get to see so many of my friends and locals be apart of it.
Did Davis get called up?

NYAS

3-2 now. Been enjoying this tournament so far. Especially with Jorge Perez Navarro having an orgasm in the commentary box every time someone scores.

SportingCP96

Supports
Alphonso Davies? He's played in every match and started 2/3 matches.
Oh wow sorry didn't know haven't been keeping up with Canada! Has he been performing well?

PieCrust

Not better than Dempsey, not yet anyway. Dempsey has some EPL pedigree, so I'd like to see Pulisic match that first. Pulisic has the much higher potential though, without question and he's done well in Germany. Just not quite ready to over take Dempsey yet.

I will say that Dempsey was always better than Donovan for me. I respect for Donovan as a person for deciding to play at home, but have no professional respect for him at all. Wasted his ability in MLS because some dudes were mean to him at Leverkusen when he was a teen ager. boo hoo.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh wow sorry didn't know haven't been keeping up with Canada! Has he been performing well?
He's done well with the roles he's been given so far. He hasn't been our main attacking outlet, but he's shown lots of quality and good decision making whenever he's gotten the ball.

As a left winter against Martinique, he showed phenomenal dribbling and crossing, which earned him an assist in that game. He didn't really enter goalscoring positions that often, but that's where David came into prominence.

I won't focus on the 2nd match as that was basically a throwaway, but in the 3rd match, he played as an attacking left full back a la Marcelo. He was less involved in attacks, but he was still a threat going forward, and his speed and strength made up for his defensive deficiencies.

Overall, I would hope that he gets more attacking involvement, but besides that, he has done very well. You can see why Bayern got him.

SportingCP96

Supports
He's done well with the roles he's been given so far. He hasn't been our main attacking outlet, but he's shown lots of quality and good decision making whenever he's gotten the ball.

As a left winter against Martinique, he showed phenomenal dribbling and crossing, which earned him an assist in that game. He didn't really enter goalscoring positions that often, but that's where David came into prominence.

I won't focus on the 2nd match as that was basically a throwaway, but in the 3rd match, he played as an attacking left full back a la Marcelo. He was less involved in attacks, but he was still a threat going forward, and his speed and strength made up for his defensive deficiencies.

Overall, I would hope that he gets more attacking involvement, but besides that, he has done very well. You can see why Bayern got him.
I like him and rate him pretty highly. I personally don't like the move to Bayern as I feel it will stunt his development not getting good playing time but hopefully I am wrong.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone have any idea as to why Jamaica have rested all their best players? Seems suicide when they're out with a loss most likely.

La Nuca

Anyone have any idea as to why Jamaica have rested all their best players? Seems suicide when they're out with a loss most likely.
Curaçao is a minnow. They didn’t expect much from them. They topped the group so it paid off.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Curaçao is a minnow. They didn’t expect much from them. They topped the group so it paid off.
Only a minnow historically, their team is pretty strong on paper with all the Dutch based players (they can’t defend though). Was a huge risk rotating the team like they did.

La Nuca

Wtf is this lineup from the US? All the starters are being rested for Panama. Does this game not matter at all?
They both qualified so they are competing for 1st place. Whoever the US gets in the quarters will probably lose anyways so it’s probably worth resting players.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

NYAS

@limerickcitykid @mazhar13

That Canadian line-up looks :drool: the amount of attacking intent in that team is impressive.

Clearly not planning on any mercy for Haiti today. And that’s with Cyle Larin on the bench!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That Canadian line-up looks :drool: the amount of attacking intent in that team is impressive.

Clearly not planning on any mercy for Haiti today. And that’s with Cyle Larin on the bench!
They don't deserve mercy. They tend to step up against bigger boys. We need to make sure that we put them on the back foot early like we just did with that David goal.