Golf 2023

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I am playing in Palm Beach on Monday and will be saying “ Provisional “ quite often.

FriedClams

Don't know what the consensus is here on Rick Shiels, but I really like his podcast the latest one on Augusta is very good and detailed on the course and holes
consensus is he’s a scratch golfer driving, a 2 handicap for 120-160 shots, and about a 50 handicap for everything else

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Personally think he's great, and a big inspiration to just get out onto the course. Golf was a covid/post-covid new sport for me and initially found him on the 'fix my slice' videos, but his evolution into just plain entertainment is really imperssive. The production values, guests and access he gets are amazing.

And he comes across as a decent chap.

FriedClams

I was just meaning his content on YouTube, he does need to work significantly on his short game though, still miles better than I'll ever be to be fair
I think he’s excellent. His tips are usually very good. Podcast is great too.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Personally think he's great, and a big inspiration to just get out onto the course. Golf was a covid/post-covid new sport for me and initially found him on the 'fix my slice' videos, but his evolution into just plain entertainment is really imperssive. The production values, guests and access he gets are amazing.

And he comes across as a decent chap.
What he said.

Legitimately one of the good guys in golf YouTube. Hasn’t sold his soul to manufacturers either so you can take his opinion on clubs seriously. Bob does sports is great for entertainment if you’re looking.

I liked good good with grant and micha but what’s left now is hot trash. Steven C will be the root cause of the failure of that channel. Just an absolute leech.

If I was Garret and Luke K, I’d be plotting a plan b privately because they’re too good.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

So I’ve made the dumb arse decision to buy some TaylorMade MB’s (old school 2014 era). my irons are done and I’m a while away from tax time where I’m gonna pick up some P770’s. Also i can make money on these if I don’t like them for the deal I’m getting.

They look beautiful though. Almost as nice as the current MB’s but less shiny. These boys but 3-pw https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4042216...G_vor3iTtm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:

FriedClams

What he said.

Legitimately one of the good guys in golf YouTube. Hasn’t sold his soul to manufacturers either so you can take his opinion on clubs seriously. Bob does sports is great for entertainment if you’re looking.

I liked good good with grant and micha but what’s left now is hot trash. Steven C will be the root cause of the failure of that channel. Just an absolute leech.

If I was Garret and Luke K, I’d be plotting a plan b privately because they’re too good.
yeah I really couldn’t care about GG at all now. The way rick was with them when they came was so cool, somewhere deep down he must have seen their channel as a threat to his but he couldn’t have been more humble with all of them, and he’s since gone from strength to strength whilst collectively, GG have weakened channel view wise and content wise. Working with rick was supposed to propel them much further.

someone I hope gets an invite to ricks tournament is Alex etches, Newcastle lad living in Western Australia… he’s hilarious, a great golfer and like rick, doesn’t hold back if he dislikes something.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Rick is great, he was the first real YouTube golfer wasn't he? A lot have tried to copy him and have done ok but you can tell a lot of their stuff is then being quite fake. Rick seems to just be himself, and by accounts from other people that's right.

Mark Crossfield gives some pretty good tips and that but he's fake as feck personality wise. In the early days he was a miserable elitist basically digging at anyone new to the sport and up his own arse, now he pretends he's here to help. He obviously realised his audience wasn't the elite stuck up their own arse golfers.

Peter Finch is a dodgy fecker too, he's changed massively, for the better, but you can tell it's put on for the camera, in the recent Rick Vs Pete video you could see him getting proper annoyed :lol: whereas when Rick was losing he was just having fun. Peter used to be a bit of a "gospel of golf" type where he loved the archaic part about golf and stuff. I do watch a bit more of his stuff these days as he's a decent golfer but his personality is weird.

GG, never really liked them, as with most the American lot, they seem like rich kids anyway, just spent their days in golf courses and I hate them for it. Lucky bastards. Seriously though, they're over the top dickheads and all shout over each other. Couple of them are very good golfers. Micah and garret? I think. Bubby was starting to smash his driver miles last I seen of him.

Danny maude seems good if you're looking for decent coaching. Found there's a mix of good and bad tips across all the guys though. Alex Elliot is atrocious imo, massively click baity (90% of golfers can add 20 yards to their drive in 5mins) etc.

Wow, didn't realise how long this post got :lol: I watch too much YouTube golf.

FriedClams

Rick is great, he was the first real YouTube golfer wasn't he? A lot have tried to copy him and have done ok but you can tell a lot of their stuff is then being quite fake. Rick seems to just be himself, and by accounts from other people that's right.

Mark Crossfield gives some pretty good tips and that but he's fake as feck personality wise. In the early days he was a miserable elitist basically digging at anyone new to the sport and up his own arse, now he pretends he's here to help. He obviously realised his audience wasn't the elite stuck up their own arse golfers.

Peter Finch is a dodgy fecker too, he's changed massively, for the better, but you can tell it's put on for the camera, in the recent Rick Vs Pete video you could see him getting proper annoyed :lol: whereas when Rick was losing he was just having fun. Peter used to be a bit of a "gospel of golf" type where he loved the archaic part about golf and stuff. I do watch a bit more of his stuff these days as he's a decent golfer but his personality is weird.

GG, never really liked them, as with most the American lot, they seem like rich kids anyway, just spent their days in golf courses and I hate them for it. Lucky bastards. Seriously though, they're over the top dickheads and all shout over each other. Couple of them are very good golfers. Micah and garret? I think. Bubby was starting to smash his driver miles last I seen of him.

Danny maude seems good if you're looking for decent coaching. Found there's a mix of good and bad tips across all the guys though. Alex Elliot is atrocious imo, massively click baity (90% of golfers can add 20 yards to their drive in 5mins) etc.

Wow, didn't realise how long this post got :lol: I watch too much YouTube golf.
I think Rick is definitely the first mainstream golf YouTuber, so he’s fortunate in the sense that he has been able to just be himself and not pander to whatever gets views.

mariachi-19

So I’ve made the dumb arse decision to buy some TaylorMade MB’s (old school 2014 era). my irons are done and I’m a while away from tax time where I’m gonna pick up some P770’s. Also i can make money on these if I don’t like them for the deal I’m getting.

They look beautiful though. Almost as nice as the current MB’s but less shiny. These boys but 3-pw https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4042216...G_vor3iTtm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
So I went to the sim yesterday to give these a whirl thinking I’m gonna struggle to hit them… didn’t do too badly, especially the three iron.

Obviously my mis hits are not great with these things, but I’m consistently striking it better these days so for the most part, I’m around 10 yards of carry for my consistent strikes. I’d say 8/10 were fine. God they feel good though when you hit them well.

Gavinb33

Fitzpatrick just played a hell of a round 63 and is leading at -14 now.

I've been down the range today and hit about 75% decent for me and I am seeing improvements all the time, back to the range tomorrow getting into a routine of at least the range x2 a week and then from May some golf until September when our 1st kid is due so need to knock the game into shape before it comes.

Seems most people here's view on Rick Shiels very much mimics my own, his tips have been working well for me recently.

Last edited:

sallycinnamin

Jimmy Walker miked up yesterday on the 16th I think. After bogey, double bogey still held it together although.
Looks a great Sundays golf. Wonder if this miked up trend will continue must affect the players at some point but a fascinating insight for the viewer all the same.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Loved the old Harbour Town where every green hit gave you a legitimate birdie chance.

edcunited1878

I can now reliably hit my driver. Damn it feels good to be a gangster
But how's everything inside 100, including putts? I need to get my driver regripped and I should get even better response and feel. But yeah, good you're able to put it out there consistently off the tee.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's the best feeling. Made a similar leap earlier this year by getting properly fitted and finally buying a shaft that fits my swing - it's such a colossal difference.
A lot of my problems were self inflicted because I wanted to do a swing change to hit draw with my driver (I can draw everything else) and I caused 2 way misses so bad I got to where I just didn’t trust it.

My driver swing that works well can be best described as a lesser man’s Jon Rahm - I have intentionally copied what he does and it works for me because I’ve got knee and shoulder injuries that kinda limit my range of motion like his foot/ankle does.

Result? Really nice, controlled power fades between 260-280. I feel like I can just go after the ball and know it’s gonna end up safe. I’ll take it.

Carolina Red

Staff
I really love this course. I know a lot of folks rate Kiawah Island higher, but Harbour Town is to me the prototype South Carolina course.

mariachi-19

I can now reliably hit my driver. Damn it feels good to be a gangster
Come across this recently with my super fast 2.0. I actually struggle the opposite to you. I can’t get the thing to cut. It’s mostly just a slow turn over draw.

Just need to add some distance now. Hitting 220 meter drives but smacked a 240 (with 220 carry) in the sim the other night. Aiming to get my ball speed up to 150-155mph by end of this year.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of my problems were self inflicted because I wanted to do a swing change to hit draw with my driver (I can draw everything else) and I caused 2 way misses so bad I got to where I just didn’t trust it.

My driver swing that works well can be best described as a lesser man’s Jon Rahm - I have intentionally copied what he does and it works for me because I’ve got knee and shoulder injuries that kinda limit my range of motion like his foot/ankle does.

Result? Really nice, controlled power fades between 260-280. I feel like I can just go after the ball and know it’s gonna end up safe. I’ll take it.
Yeah that makes sense - like you I was totally in the weeds and having to guess which way my shot was going, which was a bad place to be. I was having to compensate with a much less loaded swing to limit the variance in face angle with a bendy shaft - and that was no fun at all since I was hitting my 2 iron further and straighter most of the time.

Glad you've embraced the power fade life! As much as I'd love to hit a consistent draw it's seemingly just not on the cards for me - I have a partially torn labrum in my right shoulder too from too much high school baseball so perhaps we're in the same boat hah!

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah that makes sense - like you I was totally in the weeds and having to guess which way my shot was going, which was a bad place to be. I was having to compensate with a much less loaded swing to limit the variance in face angle with a bendy shaft - and that was no fun at all since I was hitting my 2 iron further and straighter most of the time.
This is exactly what I was going through. My 3 wood went farther and hit fairways, so I literally started leaving the driver at home when I played.
Glad you've embraced the power fade life! As much as I'd love to hit a consistent draw it's seemingly just not on the cards for me - I have a partially torn labrum in my right shoulder too from too much high school baseball so perhaps we're in the same boat hah!
Mine is partially torn in my left shoulder from wrestling, but then I’ve also got a ton of scar tissue in it already from old injuries that never were fixed. Labrum issues suckkkkkk.

Knee problems are also in my left knee… old issues in my MCL and meniscus from football + playing catcher + wrestling.

Carolina Red

Staff
His family going there a lot as a kid makes me wonder if I ever crossed paths with a young Matt Fitzpatrick and didn’t know it. I’ve spent a lot of damn time in that part of the state.

mariachi-19

Back at the sim last night… the blades are nice, real nice. Stiffer shafts are also helping. Seeing 10 yard increases on my shots. Ball speed increase is the biggest change for me. Now hitting 7-9 110-120mph. Striking the 4 iron well with 195 carry and near 130 mph. The 3 iron goes but it’s hard.