Golf 2023

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Unfortunately LIV will be a raging success this weekend because Australia is so starved for competitive golf. Watch them do 3-4 tournaments down here per year in the future.

Countries like Australia is where the PGA have dropped the ball and really should be doing a regular annual event. September through December is where they should be doing international events instead of wasting time on second rate US courses.

ZoZo and Royal Melbourne or NSW should be played during that time. Also South Korea is an amazing golf destination. That Blackstone course looks unreal

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Random question - has anyone else tried the new PING iCrossover long irons? Had the chance to hit one during a fitting the other day and was astonished at how forgiving and consistent it felt.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Never hit them, but god, they look sexy.
The flexibility as well is such an intriguing selling point. I hit a 3 iron that was tuned down to 19 degrees - genuinely it was far more consistent and (seemingly) reliable than any hybrid or long iron I've ever had. Haven't made a final decision yet and probably will go back to gather some more data, but it certainly was eye-opening.

mariachi-19

The flexibility as well is such an intriguing selling point. I hit a 3 iron that was tuned down to 19 degrees - genuinely it was far more consistent and (seemingly) reliable than any hybrid or long iron I've ever had. Haven't made a final decision yet and probably will go back to gather some more data, but it certainly was eye-opening.
What kinda mats are you hitting off if you don’t mind me asking? My sim has just put in long grass mats which apparently is a better feel and closer to grass.

Might give them a whirl tonight.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What kinda mats are you hitting off if you don’t mind me asking? My sim has just put in long grass mats which apparently is a better feel and closer to grass.

Apologies, just saw this!

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on golf mats but wouldn't say they were anything special? Definitely not long grass mats though. Next session should be off of actual grass though, which will be nice to test!

mariachi-19

Who’d have thought letting clubs sit at their natural loft would make them easier to hit… fmd.

I kept hooking my irons a touch. Took some loft out of them… miraculously they become easier to hit….

My coach is like “you mean you’re playing them as intended….”

Also makes me realise how fecking jacked most game improvement irons are. These YouTube twats hitting their 7irons 190 yards is horseshit

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Who’d have thought letting clubs sit at their natural loft would make them easier to hit… fmd.

I kept hooking my irons a touch. Took some loft out of them… miraculously they become easier to hit….

My coach is like “you mean you’re playing them as intended….”

Also makes me realise how fecking jacked most game improvement irons are. These YouTube twats hitting their 7irons 190 yards is horseshit
Pros have been hitting stronger lofts for decades.

Natural loft or lie?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Natural loft.

My new mb’s are a pure blade so I think my 7 iron is naturally 34 degrees of loft. I was trying to hit it with like 30. Instantly got better feel, height and a slightly more open face.
Why did you bend your irons strong or did you even know?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Never hit them, but god, they look sexy.

Just to follow up on this - went ahead and opted for the 3 iron model to more or less fill the role of utility club in my bag. Did some testing of the crossover versus various hybrids out of a few different situations (e.g. out of a divot, a sandy tight lie, through the equivalent of a couple different cuts of rough, etc) - the crossover had a much broader margin of error and it feels like I'm gaining a ton of utility at the cost of maybe 10-15 yards off the tee.

mariachi-19

Just to follow up on this - went ahead and opted for the 3 iron model to more or less fill the role of utility club in my bag. Did some testing of the crossover versus various hybrids out of a few different situations (e.g. out of a divot, a sandy tight lie, through the equivalent of a couple different cuts of rough, etc) - the crossover had a much broader margin of error and it feels like I'm gaining a ton of utility at the cost of maybe 10-15 yards off the tee.
My feeling is you can make 10-15 up pretty easy if you’re on the fairway… you can’t make it up when the ball is OB or you’re hitting from the long grass. Need to still give it a hit as I’m probably gonna take the 3 iron out of my bag for a 5-7 wood.

I’m still trying to hit my 3 irons mb… thing is either a rocket or mad pull to the left… there’s no in between. How pros hit them like it’s a 9 iron is beyond me.

Also, I feel like going a bit showy and sticking a Stealth 2 or the Wilson Dyna in the bag. I can get a pretty awesome deal and while I love my burner superfast 2, it’s starting to age as I hit both of those comfortably 10-20 meters longer which not much effort… I also need a stiff shaft and it’s not worth it to replace it on my driver considering it was $70 aud…

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
My feeling is you can make 10-15 up pretty easy if you’re on the fairway… you can’t make it up when the ball is OB or you’re hitting from the long grass. Need to still give it a hit as I’m probably gonna take the 3 iron out of my bag for a 5-7 wood.

I’m still trying to hit my 3 irons mb… thing is either a rocket or mad pull to the left… there’s no in between. How pros hit them like it’s a 9 iron is beyond me.

Also, I feel like going a bit showy and sticking a Stealth 2 or the Wilson Dyna in the bag. I can get a pretty awesome deal and while I love my burner superfast 2, it’s starting to age as I hit both of those comfortably 10-20 meters longer which not much effort… I also need a stiff shaft and it’s not worth it to replace it on my driver considering it was $70 aud…
Yeah all makes sense and I agree. Right now my 3 iron is going about 225-235, so on any par 4 that's ~350 or less I'll always have the safe option of a stock wedge in.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Having learned the game on a Donald Ross course & played dozens of them, &, for me, he is the best architect ever in golf. This is a solid discussion of Oak Hill 'East' & what the course has in store for the golfers this week...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Frost delay pushed back tee times by two hours. Solid day of golf watching ahead.

Rough looks absolutely brutal.

e - par might play a crucial role this week. Always great to see.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yikes…

The most unnerving shot in golf in my opinion is the one which follows a shank.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If they don’t cut the rough, he’ll struggle over the weekend. His driving is to errant and his approach game is pus.

What an amazing course. This is like US Open conditions
Yep. He was between a 7 & an 8 on an approach a couple holes ago & his hubris got in the way again. He tries to muscle an 8, ball comes down like a rock short of the pin. Those shots will typically plug & it did.

I still don’t think he could have hit a knock down 7 to get to the hole. He has never showed me any ability to draw down the power to hit the appropriate shot. Long may it continue.

mariachi-19

Yep. He was between a 7 & an 8 on an approach a couple holes ago & his hubris got in the way again. He tries to muscle an 8, ball comes down like a rock short of the pin. Those shots will typically plug & it did.

I still don’t think he could have hit a knock down 7 to get to the hole. He has never showed me any ability to draw down the power to hit the appropriate shot. Long may it continue.
I’m surprised so many are still trying to drive. If we had peak tiger, the driver wouldn’t have come out of the bag. It’d be 2 iron all day. Send it down the middle.

If Colin can get a good run in the next 25 holes, I’d be looking at him to make a strong claim come Sunday. This course is suited to his iron play.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’m surprised so many are still trying to drive. If we had peak tiger, the driver wouldn’t have come out of the bag. It’d be 2 iron all day. Send it down the middle.

If Colin can get a good run in the next 25 holes, I’d be looking at him to make a strong claim come Sunday. This course is suited to his iron play.
Yep, that one hole with the creek got Rory, Bradley, & someone else in quick succession. The only trouble was at driver distance, yet they still pulled out driver. Immature mental mistakes.