Golf 2023

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
That Sky Sports interview had me crying, not gonna lie.
I felt everyone involved in that moment were welling up. Never caught the lady interviewer's name, but she literally was about to burst out in tears. True hero of sports for me, such a genuine chap and gave a great 4 days of golf

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I felt everyone involved in that moment were welling up. Never caught the lady interviewer's name, but she literally was about to burst out in tears. True hero of sports for me, such a genuine chap and gave a great 4 days of golf
His line about his opening up a spot for another PGA professional due to auto qualifying for the 2024 PGA was what tipped me over the edge. Dripping with class.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Came here to post the exact same fecking thing.
He’s a “bro”

Not as big a bellend as Bryson or Reid so that’s a positive. I can stomach watching Brooks win… the other two wearing their shitty LIV trash and cnut personalities can feck off.

It’s telling that DJ, Brooks and Cam Smith kept their sponsors despite the change… I see all three being back in the PGA in 2 years.

Zen

Koepkas friends all seem like massive feckin bellends.
Well, they are friends with a mercenary? What you expecting. Money rules!

But man, what a talent. Now clear of Mcilroy too with 5.... feck, Mcilroy was on 4 like 20 years ago too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
He’s a “bro”

Not as big a bellend as Bryson or Reid so that’s a positive. I can stomach watching Brooks win… the other two wearing their shitty LIV trash and cnut personalities can feck off.

It’s telling that DJ, Brooks and Cam Smith kept their sponsors despite the change… I see all three being back in the PGA in 2 years.
Can't see DJ coming back, or Cam Smith tbh.

Reckon Brooks may be back though, he mentioned it at the masters saying if he knew he would feel as fit as he did he wouldn't have left for LIV. You can tell he wants to be back to the PGA but also he made a choice for money considering his injury record.

The whole LIV / PGA thing has made all the majors way more exciting if I'm honest, feels a bit Ryder cup like but with single trophies on the go.

But man, what a talent. Now clear of Mcilroy too with 5.... feck, Mcilroy was on 4 like 20 years ago too.
Brooks is unreal when he's on his day and fit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Feel the same about Spieth. He was ahead of Tiger’s major trajectory when Spieth won his last British Open & he just needs the PGA to have a GS, but drastically tinkering with his swing probably rendered that possibility moot.

Carolina Red

Staff
Super happy for Michael Block.

Bummed a LIV guy won it… but, that said, Koepka is as close as I’ve seen to Tiger when he’s on his game at a Major.

mariachi-19

Love that the Michael Block story has completely overshadowed Brooks win. All the word is seeing is how this relative nobody kept up with the best players in the world and also got a hole in one. You can imagine if it happened on day 1 or 2 it would be cool. Final round is unreal

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It only highlights further that the majors are the only thing that matters. PGA Tour would love to think differently but it isn’t the case. The biggest players don’t really give a shit. It’s all about legacy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I actually cut Koepka a bit of slack for the LIV thing given he was unsure if his knee would let him compete at the highest level ever again. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him rejoin the PGA tour once his LIV contract is up, assuming he stays fit.

Ainu

It only highlights further that the majors are the only thing that matters. PGA Tour would love to think differently but it isn’t the case. The biggest players don’t really give a shit. It’s all about legacy.
That's an exaggeration, it might be the only thing that really matters to the select few who are multiple major winners, but for the vast majority of players, regular PGA Tour events matter a whole lot.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Majors & The Players (which typically has the strongest field yearly even over the majors).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not anymore. They nuked their own tournament over their childish antics.
Great point, totally blanked on that.

That's a shame as that course truly tested the players & ensured every club in their bag was used & every shot type was mandatory.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Great point, totally blanked on that.

That's a shame as that course truly tested the players & ensured every club in their bag was used & every shot type was mandatory.
It’s clear that they are going to have to roll back on some of the ban stuff. They were desperate for the LIV players to become irrelevant but the opposite has become the case.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
See Michael Block got the invite next week for The Charles Schwab so well deserved.
And the RBC Canadian Open! What a life changing event for the guy. He seems super humble as well. Story of the year in golf!
Going off last year's 125th. $, he is already more than halfway to securing his card for next year.

If I were him, I'd be eyeing the Champions Tour greedily.

Skåre Willoch

Going off last year's 125th. $, he is already more than halfway to securing his card for next year.

If I were him, I'd be eyeing the Champions Tour greedily.
How does he qualify for that? Does he have to win a PGA tournament, considering the name?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
How does he qualify for that? Does he have to win a PGA tournament, considering the name?
Over 50 with a PGA card are eligible, but there's only a small number of Monday qualifier possible each week. Basically the senior tour but run like the youngster's. He'd definitely get some sponsor exemptions.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If he wins enough on these invites can he retain or gain a tour card?
A tourney win guarantees top 125 plus qualifications into one offs like the Masters, etc.

#125 earned roughly $545K last year. He's already over 50% of the way there.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
+11 and dead last after round 1 of the Charles Schwab.

He had a great week last week, but he's a teaching pro.

He's also cocky enough. Said if he had the crazy length he'd be one of the best in the world :lol: The guy averages the same off the tee as Just Rose.

Great story last week, but after these invites dry up in the next couple of weeks, he'll never be heard from again. (I know he'll play the PGA next year)

Conor

I really enjoyed his PGA performance, but I enjoyed the +11 even more. Back to the driving range bay buddy.

mariachi-19

+11 and dead last after round 1 of the Charles Schwab.

He had a great week last week, but he's a teaching pro.

He's also cocky enough. Said if he had the crazy length he'd be one of the best in the world :lol: The guy averages the same off the tee as Just Rose.

Great story last week, but after these invites dry up in the next couple of weeks, he'll never be heard from again. (I know he'll play the PGA next year)
I’d be milking the shit out of it if I were him.

What it reminds you is just how good even the worst tour players are. Michael would school 99.9% of ams, yet he’s being schooled by pros.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I’d be milking the shit out of it if I were him.

What it reminds you is just how good even the worst tour players are. Michael would school 99.9% of ams, yet he’s being schooled by pros.
100% right to milk it. Get as many invites as you can, another cut or two made between now and when the invites begin to run out would be worth huge money to a teaching pro.

I'm a 12 handicapper and I reckon I'm as close to most of the teaching pro's in my area as they are to the PGA tour. The gulf is crazy. I know a guy playing out of a club in Dublin who's a +1 golfer. He's in his late 20's. He has genuine aspirations of turning pro. But he goes to the Irish amateur events like the West/North etc and is never in the top 30. He's +1 and struggling in amateur competitions. But because some of the tour pros turned pro at +1/+2, they think they're close.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
100% right to milk it. Get as many invites as you can, another cut or two made between now and when the invites begin to run out would be worth huge money to a teaching pro.

I'm a 12 handicapper and I reckon I'm as close to most of the teaching pro's in my area as they are to the PGA tour. The gulf is crazy. I know a guy playing out of a club in Dublin who's a +1 golfer. He's in his late 20's. He has genuine aspirations of turning pro. But he goes to the Irish amateur events like the West/North etc and is never in the top 30. He's +1 and struggling in amateur competitions. But because some of the tour pros turned pro at +1/+2, they think they're close.
Rule of thumb is +6 for a tour pro, else one will be struggling.

I got down to +0.3 when I worked in the industry, but that was after a year of playing 5 times a week, range sessions 5 times a week under the eye of a really good teaching pro, & committing to a fitness regimen geared towards golf. It took that commitment to finally budge from a 1.6 to better than par. You're exactly correct in your assessment of being as close to an average club pro as they are to the touring pros. The higher one gets up the triangle of golf, the harder it is to advance.