Golf 2023

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It'll be interesting to see how the schedule pans out. And interesting to see how Trump is incorporated into this if at all.
It'll just be as the PGA Tour is now, with more money, and not all in America.

You'll see 8-14 "events" which are pretty much mandatory for the top 100 golfers.

These will be around the world, 100% one in Australia after they seen how much those guys loved it.

Probably atleast 6 world wide events, so Australia, UK, Saudi, then take your pick. Norway, Spain and somewhere else maybe.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Well I didn’t see that coming. The devil will be in the detail. I guess we’ll see some kind of super charged world tour series for the elite players. Be interesting to see what they do with the team format, I think there’s potential in it. And some kind of merger of the DP tournaments & PGA tournaments would be good for the popularity of golf outside the US. Hope we see them introducing an individual match play format for some tournaments.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

You'll see 8-14 "events" which are pretty much mandatory for the top 100 golfers.

These will be around the world, 100% one in Australia after they seen how much those guys loved it.

Probably atleast 6 world wide events, so Australia, UK, Saudi, then take your pick. Norway, Spain and somewhere else maybe.
World ain't ready for Lofoten Links.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

There will have to be secondary tourneys opposite the majors & the upper echelon tournaments like TPC, Memorial, Quail Hollow in both the US & Europe to make this work.

FriedClams

Would love some players to say feck the PGA. Lambasted everyone who went to liv and took the easy money, and now they are doing EXACTLY the same. It’s deplorable.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I actually think the B grade golfers that went to LIV are the most fecked, they didn't get huge sums to move, and now have to try and get back on tour after playing crazy golf for a year while other guys took their spots and built up points.
Surely they'll get to keep whatever portion of their signing bonus was already paid?

RedC

Should have just merged with the European tour
The DP World tour brings nothing to the table, the PGA was already guaranteeing their purses as part of their agreement, which is basically saying they can't even raise enough sponsorship to build decent pots for tournaments. The Saudis will dump billions into the PGA tour now, and in turn are completely embedded and essentially own golf, exactly what they were looking for.

Surely they'll get to keep whatever portion of their signing bonus was already paid?
Even if they do, there are some guys that went for <5m, that's not that much money in the long term, when talking about potentially losing your PGA tour card for good. There would be some guys that got on tour simply by being hot at the right time, and ever since barely made the cut for a card each year, they will seriously struggle to get back on the tour by merit.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Correct. It’s time people realised this.
Not that simple. Mcilroy turned down 100’s of millions to stay loyal to the PGA Tour, Matsuyama over 100, dozens more turned down 10’s of millions. Now they’re expected to just be OK with the players who got the money just coming back and joining them and all being well.

Unless Monahan has some outrageous promises for the players who stayed loyal I can see a strike/boycott.

cyberman

Rumours that the PGA had to borrow money against future tv contracts to bump up the prize pool and it hit the fan

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This will anull the LIV contracts resulting in a massive pay decrease for those that left. Zero chance that the PGA tour funds those contracts.

My guess is the PGA wanted the money and the Saudis wanted the exposure. They must have blown through a serious chunk of money on the LIV shit show.

Gavinb33

I just read this on the BBC and thought it was probably accurate

Former BMW PGA Championship winner Ben An said: "I'm guessing the LIV teams were struggling to get sponsors and PGA Tour couldn't turn down the money. Win-win for both tours but it's a big loss for who defended the tour for last two years."

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The silver lining is that I get to remove yet another sport from my ”I should avoid chores to watch this” list. At this rate I will be able to build the pyramids in my backyard this year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The silver lining is that I get to remove yet another sport from my ”I should avoid chores to watch this” list. At this rate I will be able to build the pyramids in my backyard this year.
Aye, I'm considering binning my sky sports sub now, barely show enough footy and now golf is down the shitter too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Our ire should be directed at the PGA Tour, not the PGA.

Two completely different institutions.

This just dawned on me.

Last edited:

Gazautd18

Well that's golf done for me now.
Only really watched it for Tiger anyway.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
PGA (by itself) is the PGA of America. Think club & teaching pros.

PGA Tour is the organization that runs the actual tournaments.

I think they split in the 60s iirc.

The term 'PGA' is used interchangeably between the two. Just wanted to point out the difference.

It's me being pedantic.