Golf 2023

Carolina Red

Staff
PGA (by itself) is the PGA of America. Think club & teaching pros.

PGA Tour is the organization that runs the actual tournaments.

I think they split in the 60s iirc.

The term 'PGA' is used interchangeably between the two. Just wanted to point out the difference.

It's me being pedantic.
Ohhh - no I get that.

I thought you were possibly drawing the line between PGAT leadership and the PGA players (who were apparently left in the dark on this)

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Presumably contracts under LIV must be honoured unless subsequently renegotiated and agreed by the respective players. Does this not potentially mean a situation where the players are playing the same tours but at hugely different rewards? Or do we think non-LIV players won’t play LIV events and vice versa for a certain period of time?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Presumably contracts under LIV must be honoured unless subsequently renegotiated and agreed by the respective players. Does this not potentially mean a situation where the players are playing the same tours but at hugely different rewards? Or do we think non-LIV players won’t play LIV events and vice versa for a certain period of time?
It may be annulled. I think those headline liv fees had a lot of conditions including performance requirements which were not truly ever discussed. Wouldn’t surprise me if it comes out the full payment structure was linked to appearances, wins, team performance etc. We already saw back tracking when it came to light that players never actually won money, it was just deducted from their “sign on fees”.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Thought it wasn't about the money Rory?
He’s not wrong though, it’s fine for him given his levels of success but there will be some golfers who aren’t as rich as you think who missed out on huge paydays only now to be shafted

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
He’s not wrong though, it’s fine for him given his levels of success but there will be some golfers who aren’t as rich as you think who missed out on huge paydays only now to be shafted
Exactly. Some people are so quick in these sort of discussions to try to catch someone being hypocritical, as a way to try to make it out as though they're all as bad as eachother. McIlroy has been pretty great during this whole thing - him saying that the players deserve a bit of a cut is not some sort of gotcha.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Exactly. Some people are so quick in these sort of discussions to try to catch someone being hypocritical, as a way to try to make it out as though they're all as bad as eachother. McIlroy has been pretty great during this whole thing - him saying that the players deserve a bit of a cut is not some sort of gotcha.
Especially when he specifically says it's not about him as he never got an offer to turn down.

Ainu

Thought it wasn't about the money Rory?
He literally says "The guys that stayed loyal, that had offers on the table - I'm not one of them" in the first sentence of the interview. Those guys deserve compensation according to him.

FriedClams

Let’s say for talking sake, the PIF wanted to buy the PGA two years ago. I would imagine that the fee it would have cost them, is significant higher than the amount they spent on LIV. So they’ve wound up with their hands up the asses of the PGA for a lot less $.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Fleetwood in a play off for first PGA tour win with home country man Nick Taylor. Hoping Tommy gets it. I think if he wins this, he wins many pga events.
Neither want to win, they're enjoying their day of golf it appears and they just don't want it to end.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah, think this just breaks Fleetwood's mentality even more.
Hopefully he bounces back from it. He’s always such a class guy. He knows he can win, he’s done it on other tours. Just seems to come up against someone doing something else historic when he’s fighting for his own PGAT history.

Skåre Willoch

So, what do we think? Is Rahm joining the Fireballs team and LIV before Valderrama in Spain in two weeks?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just watched a replay of Fitzpatrick win at Brookline. Came to the conclusion that his swing & mine are quite similar. A little handsy at the outset, more around than up on the backswing, then a reroute on the downswing.

Used to be Sandy Lyle.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Announced green speed this AM was 13. Marine layer slowed them down a bit, but they should speed back up with the wind in the afternoon.

Last edited: