Gaming Gollum | The game so bad the developers apologised

Yagami

Good post resistant
Some say worse than Sonic 06, some say better than Superman 64. What we're all left wondering, though, is who asked for a Gollum game to begin with? But at least Gollum won the argument.

Anyone here survived playing this?

SuperiorXI

Well in order to play it you have to fork out about £60 so you'd have to be either ignorant or stupid. Looks like a horror show of a game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well in order to play it you have to fork out about £60 so you'd have to be either ignorant or stupid. Looks like a horror show of a game.
Or a content creator that's banking on some heavy views by playing this :D

Seems like it's not even so bad it's good. It's just bad.

The best thing about bad games is seeing everyone's reaction to them!

Ted Lasso

Some say worse than Sonic 06, some say better than Superman 64. What we're all left wondering, though, is who asked for a Gollum game to begin with? But at least Gollum won the argument.

Anyone here survived playing this?
Damn. I loved Superman 64. I was a wee lad, so didn't have all that much to say about game quality other than being happy my parents got me a new one.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Damn. I loved Superman 64. I was a wee lad, so didn't have all that much to say about game quality other than being happy my parents got me a new one.
Nothing wrong with that! It's all subjective so as long as you enjoyed it that's what counts. Even though I had a N64, I never even knew about this game until I started using the internet more in the early 2000s. I think the first time I actually saw the game in action was through AVGN:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been obsessed with this since I saw SkillUp’s review. It’s so bad :lol:

hobbers

Jedi is actually very good just plagued with unfinished optimization, rest of games you listed are bad all around.
Not as bad as the other 3 no.

What Gollum, Redfall and Forspoken all have in common is developers who clearly think gamers have no standards (largely true) and hold them all in contempt.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
There is something genuinely artistic and beautiful about a game this shite. So awful that it’s impressive.

Ainu

Not as bad as the other 3 no.

What Gollum, Redfall and Forspoken all have in common is developers who clearly think gamers have no standards (largely true) and hold them all in contempt.
"Not as bad" is a serious understatement. It's actually considered a really good game, just plagued by a dreadful pc version.

And even Redfall and Forspoken honestly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Gollum. Those two are just mediocre video games with a somewhat serviceable core, while Gollum seems to be so farcical on every level it might well be the single worst full-priced game ever made.

hobbers

"Not as bad" is a serious understatement. It's actually considered a really good game, just plagued by a dreadful pc version.

And even Redfall and Forspoken honestly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Gollum. Those two are just mediocre video games with a somewhat serviceable core, while Gollum seems to be so farcical on every level it might well be the single worst full-priced game ever made.
Redfall and Forspoken were more hyped and reckoned they could price themselves £20 above Gollum on day 1 though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As if the memes weren't enough, Daedalic literally got the name of the franchise/game wrong in their apology letter :lol:

Fully Fledged

Is it a money laundering scheme?
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...another-lord-of-the-rings-game-in-development

As reported (and translated) by IGN, German developer Daedalic Entertainment appears to be working on another game set in Tolkien's classic world, this time focusing on its mysterious and enigmatic wizards.

Codenamed "It's Magic", this 3D action-adventure game will "transport the player into a lush world full of mythical creatures and magic," apparently. German language publication Games Wirtschaft points out that Daedalic took roughly €2 million in funding from the German government during the development of Gollum for a project supposedly taking place between June 2022 and August 2024.
Get rich quick?

Eriku

One thing is the game being shite, but i just cant wrap my head around the whole premise of it. Why the feck would you base a game around Gollum? Even for the most diehard LOTR fan that seems like a very odd choice.
Probably just based on positive responses to Gollum in Shadow of Mordor. He was a fun addition in that game.

Drawfull

Or curious. I paid 20quid for a key, having watched a playthrough of the game in its entirety. Some of the environments are nice, genuinely. But that's it; I bailed at the end of Chapter 3.

I will say that the controls are so bad and some level elements similarly awfully-designed that the fact there's an achievement for completing the game without dying is a piss-take on top of all the others.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Even if this was a bug free game that worked perfectly, it'd still be a bad game because what do you actually do? It'd just be one of those terrible ones that are so boring they're forgotten about, so the fact that everything on top of the boring premise was just as bad resulting in it becoming a huge meme could be seen as a positive because there's at least something funny about it.

Even funnier, they are making another LOTR game.
Yeah, I heard! Man, the franchise can't catch a break at the minute :lol:

On top of this being an incredibly expensive game to begin with, I've heard you need to pay extra for:
  • The lore. You can't read lore from the game unless you pay.
  • The Elves to speak Elvish.
  • Gollum to say "my precious".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Even if this was a bug free game that worked perfectly, it'd still be a bad game because what do you actually do? It'd just be one of those terrible ones that are so boring they're forgotten about, so the fact that everything on top of the boring premise was just as bad resulting in it becoming a huge meme could be seen as a positive because there's at least something funny about it.

Yeah, I heard! Man, the franchise can't catch a break at the minute :lol:

On top of this being an incredibly expensive game to begin with, I've heard you need to pay extra for:
  • The lore. You can't read lore from the game unless you pay.
  • The Elves to speak Elvish.
  • Gollum to say "my precious".
Yeah putting lore behind a paywall is a new low.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah putting lore behind a paywall is a new low.
That's why the apology letter rings hollow to me. You know you've produced an atrocity, and apparently you're sorry for that, but you're going to put the most miniscule features you'd expect the game to come with behind a paywall? After already charging people £50 knowing full well it was going to stink? The balls on you.

I was watching efap and they were showing highlights of people associated with the channel playing the game and one of my favourites was when As was playing, he got stuck and couldn't move so he reloaded the level and the game remembered him being stuck so he had to restart completely :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's why the apology letter rings hollow to me. You know you've produced an atrocity, and apparently you're sorry for that, but you're going to put the most miniscule features you'd expect the game to come with behind a paywall? After already charging people £50 knowing full well it was going to stink? The balls on you.

I was watching efap and they were showing highlights of people associated with the channel playing the game and one of my favourites was when As was playing, he got stuck and couldn't move so he reloaded the level and the game remembered him being stuck so he had to restart completely :lol:
Yeah the apology is bollocks. They think they can just churn out the usual "We'll work really hard to fix the game and make it what you expected" when the game is complete turd and there's not even a glimmer of hope for it. Just fecking dump it and make something new. It's done.

Fully Fledged

Yeah the apology is bollocks. They think they can just churn out the usual "We'll work really hard to fix the game and make it what you expected" when the game is complete turd and there's not even a glimmer of hope for it. Just fecking dump it and make something new. It's done.
Game play is the biggest problem they can't fix that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep, which is why it would be really sad to watch those devs now do overtime to 'fix' it when they'd be better off dumping it and making something new.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Surely as a developer when you make something like this you know it's terrible, right? :wenger:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surely as a developer when you make something like this you know it's terrible, right? :wenger:
Must be soul destroying to work every day on something you know is complete shit but I guess that's how you work your way up.

I have a mate who is in the gaming industry (worked for Frontier and a few other companies) and he had to make some utter shit before he was allowed to work on better stuff.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't know, Cyberpunk still has awful gameplay. But a few bug fixes and well placed "oh look over there!" announcements seemed to convince people it changed.

Of course they do, and they knew from the moment they looked at any design doc. But the people making it have no say.

led_scholes

All we want is BFME 3 or a a two tower/return of the king remaster.

They want a money grab? Just make a lotr total war then.