g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Souness is a military man.
A disciplinarian.He is not going to like Pogba.
:lol:

He wouldn't know a military man if one walked up and smacked him in the face.

He's an old bloke who wishes it was still like it was in 'his day'. Simple as that. He's hugely jealous Pogba gets all this praise and wealth, yet despite his achievements he's largely been forgotten about.

lsd

The Oracle
He also said LVG was one of the world’s best managers. Souness is a dinosaur, who really doesn’t have much insight into the modern game.

Having said that, it’s good to have different opinions, rather than everyone agreeing - but all the other guests constantly call him out for being wrong, it’s somewhat amusing.

Van Gaal was one of the world's best managers

lsd

The Oracle
Sky/Souness are going to try and make a campaign of this Pogba foul and try and get him barred.

If they're successful, he'll miss how many games?

None since the ref gave a free kick same as the Shelvey tackle

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can anybody post a video of what he said today?
I wasn't able to find a link to the video I'm afraid.

This is my best recollection of what was said:

REDKNAPP:
“I’ve done it before. That’s why I understand. It was a retrospective red card on Tim Cahill playing for Tottenham against Everton. What he’s (Pogba) trying to do is step across the ball to protect him.

“It looks horrendous, don’t get me wrong. It looks like he’s tried to go right over the top of the ball. Personally it’s not malicious. I certainly was not a malicious player. But it looks so bad.

“When I look back, I remember going to see Tim Cahill afterwards and saying ‘I really apologise for that because it looks horrendous, but I genuinely didn’t mean it’. It’s just when you step across the ball to protect it and let it roll across your body. It looks like a red but personally it doesn’t look like it is.”

SOUNESS: “I think it’s a red card. Sorry Jamie, I disagree with you. It’s a red card. Not one ounce of doubt in my mind. Not one ounce.

“He knows what he’s done. Let’s start with what Jamie’s saying. You step over it and use your strength to keep the player away.

“But look where the ball is and look where the foot it. When you’re doing that your studs are generally always aiming towards the ground.

REDKNAPP: “Do you think he tried to do him there, Graeme?”

SOUNESS: “Well certainly. I would also say if the referee doesn’t see it as a red card - he sees it as a foul so, he’s seen it as we see it. He’s seen it as a yellow card then he know nothing about football either, the referee.”

REDKNAPP: “Well I know nothing either then. I’ve been in that position Graeme. Mine actually looks a lot worse than that, trust me. I have 10 times worse.

SOUNESS: “I’ve been guilty of that (too) and received that.”

REDKNAPP: “Ha! We know!”

SOUNESS: “For me there’s not one ounce of doubt in my mind that wasn’t him going over the ball.”

REDKNAPP: “But I just don’t think it was malicious.”

KEANE: “I played in the game when Jamie did that. And I think Jamie did mean it to be honest with you! (laughs).”

Mr PG

Souness started with basic valid arguments that made sense then it turned into an agenda with him wanting to be proven right.. instead of just admitting he was wrong... or inserting caveat about mourinho buying a player and not playing to his strengths

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I wasn't able to find a link to the video I'm afraid.

This is my best recollection of what was said:

REDKNAPP:
“I’ve done it before. That’s why I understand. It was a retrospective red card on Tim Cahill playing for Tottenham against Everton. What he’s (Pogba) trying to do is step across the ball to protect him.

“It looks horrendous, don’t get me wrong. It looks like he’s tried to go right over the top of the ball. Personally it’s not malicious. I certainly was not a malicious player. But it looks so bad.

“When I look back, I remember going to see Tim Cahill afterwards and saying ‘I really apologise for that because it looks horrendous, but I genuinely didn’t mean it’. It’s just when you step across the ball to protect it and let it roll across your body. It looks like a red but personally it doesn’t look like it is.”

SOUNESS: “I think it’s a red card. Sorry Jamie, I disagree with you. It’s a red card. Not one ounce of doubt in my mind. Not one ounce.

“He knows what he’s done. Let’s start with what Jamie’s saying. You step over it and use your strength to keep the player away.

“But look where the ball is and look where the foot it. When you’re doing that your studs are generally always aiming towards the ground.

REDKNAPP: “Do you think he tried to do him there, Graeme?”

SOUNESS: “Well certainly. I would also say if the referee doesn’t see it as a red card - he sees it as a foul so, he’s seen it as we see it. He’s seen it as a yellow card then he know nothing about football either, the referee.”

REDKNAPP: “Well I know nothing either then. I’ve been in that position Graeme. Mine actually looks a lot worse than that, trust me. I have 10 times worse.

SOUNESS: “I’ve been guilty of that (too) and received that.”

REDKNAPP: “Ha! We know!”

SOUNESS: “For me there’s not one ounce of doubt in my mind that wasn’t him going over the ball.”

REDKNAPP: “But I just don’t think it was malicious.”

KEANE: “I played in the game when Jamie did that. And I think Jamie did mean it to be honest with you! (laughs).”
Oh that's a lot of effort mate. Thanks!

Deleted member 101472

I love how you interpreted that comment :devil:
"I don't want him running into my box and I'm having to track back with him. I think there is a real player in there, someone who has all the equipment to be a top midfielder player.

"He has the athleticism to arrive in the box late and get lots of goals that way and get well into double figures every year. That will be an enormous asset to United.

"He has the potential to be one of the very best out there."

More from souness. Pretty reasonable interpretation, no?

RMD83

I’m not a huge fan of souness and he clearly finds it uncomfortable to praise united but I think a lot of his criticism of pogba is quite fair. He compares him to pirlo for example and pirlo made it work under any circumstances as I recall. Pogba being hit and miss for 2 years cannot be solely put down to Jose (and no, I’m not a Jose sympathiser). I think he’s right in saying that he fancies playing for this manager and that’s the biggest factor. Despite that he has been immense since OGS took over, an absolute joy to watch.

Name Changed

weso26
"I don't want him running into my box and I'm having to track back with him. I think there is a real player in there, someone who has all the equipment to be a top midfielder player.

"He has the athleticism to arrive in the box late and get lots of goals that way and get well into double figures every year. That will be an enormous asset to United.

He gave Pogba some praise but then went back to slagging him off.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

He said all of that today? I don't recall any of that if I'm being honest mate.

Take your word for it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pretty much what he was alluding to.

Direct quote “I don’t think anyone put the shackles on him not with the amount of athleticism he has”
How do you take that direct quote (which was a dig) and turn it into "To summarize it, be basically said that pogba has all the athleticism in the world to be a top midfield player."

Completely different things.

Deleted member 101472

How do you take that direct quote (which was a dig) and turn it into "To summarize it, be basically said that pogba has all the athleticism in the world to be a top midfield player."

Completely different things.
That was jusy one of the quotes. It was in a summarization to the whole segment I just posted above this.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What is Souness smoking? :houllier:

That rant where he went off on one about Pogba in the 'Pirlo role' is wow. He plays as an attacking mid the fool. Hes nothing like Pirlo nor do we want him to be. Matic covers for him whilst he has full license to attack. His defensive 'nous' is irrelevant. He is a creative, technical midfielder.

Compare his performance to Eriksen's today. He has the same role as Pogba but you wouldn't hear anyone complaining that Eriksen's defensive 'nous' was not good enough. They would rightly, be laughed out of the room.

Its totally bizarre the standard that Pogba is judged at.

Last edited:

Moorie86

He must have some friends in high places at sky to keep avoiding the cull over the years seeing how many of the old boys have gone

Roy Cropper

Supports
Liverpool
I was baffled when I heard him say that Pogba and the rest of your players weren’t shackled by Mourinho’s system/tactics, it was obvious for months he wasn’t getting the best out of your players due to a combination of bad man management and his overly negative tactics. My only conclusion is that maybe in the playing days of Souness, players did actually take more responsibility on the pitch and wouldn’t need to be told to make runs into the box.

Perhaps the modern day player takes his managers instructions too literally. I also don’t quite understand why he keeps bashing Pogba yet players like Ozil and many others get off scot-free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheato

I don't think that Souness is even worth a thread on here. He hasn't been relevant since he left Liverpool. Let's all collectively chuck this windbag over a bridge and get on with our lives.