Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Seem an odd time of the season to bow out. Why not wait till the season ends? Not a month before.
Must be some reason.

Lost bear

Not a great pundit in terms of his thoughts on actual football. But had spoken eloquently and in support of gay players, attend gay rights parades etc so I will always respect him for that especially when it would be easy to assume he would think the opposite
Interesting. I must admit to being one of those who expected the opposite.
That said, I’m still delighted to hear this news. Off you jolly well feck, Mr Souness.

Tyrion

Interesting. I must admit to being one of those who expected the opposite.
That said, I’m still delighted to hear this news. Off you jolly well feck, Mr Souness.
Sometimes he sounded weirdly reactionary and old fashioned but he was also vegan and pro-gay rights. He's comes across like a stereotype but he does seem more interesting than that.

It's just not the same for him without Pogba this season.
He'd finally chased Pogba out of England so he could retire gracefully. :lol:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm surprised by how many comments have claimed he's a good pundit and we'll miss him when he's gone.

He has defended the Glazers on more than one occasion by saying that they "took a huge risk when buying United" and that United fans are only protesting against their owners because they're not challenging for the top honours anymore.

He clearly was ill-educated on the subject matter but has still felt the need to be staunch in his defence of the Glazers. And the less said about his weird agenda against Pogba, the better. Having to watch him come out with some proper tripe over the years has made for painful viewing. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was one of the moments Souness shone the brightest as a pundit.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

I'm surprised by how many comments have claimed he's a good pundit and we'll miss him when he's gone.

He has defended the Glazers on more than one occasion by saying that they "took a huge risk when buying United" and that United fans are only protesting against their owners because they're not challenging for the top honours anymore.

He clearly was ill-educated on the subject matter but has still felt the need to be staunch in his defence of the Glazers. And the less said about his weird agenda against Pogba, the better. Having to watch him come out with some proper tripe over the years has made for painful viewing. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
And what's worse was he would have it explained to him over and over, usually by Neville although I'm sure Keane did it once too, why Utd fans hate the Glazers and why it's total nonsense to claim they put any of their own money into the club and he'd just ignore it and parrot the same ill-informed bollocks whenever the topic came up.

He was a fecking shite pundit and I'm glad to see he's gone.

meamth

It is what it is, producers target big reputation ex-players who is clearly biased or a fan of the ex-club.

To gain what? To gain wind ups, banter and controversial takes on players on their rival clubs. It worked.

Anyway, good riddance Greame Souness! Enjoy your retirement!

Peelhead

Not a great pundit in terms of his thoughts on actual football. But had spoken eloquently and in support of gay players, attend gay rights parades etc so I will always respect him for that especially when it would be easy to assume he would think the opposite
Really? Never knew that, my doctor has prescribed a low sourness diet so I avoid him but fair play, because yeah, like you say, not exactly what I'd expect!

Good shout from whoever said he'll be in Qatar at BeIn with hairy hands and old gray whistle test.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

And what's worse was he would have it explained to him over and over, usually by Neville although I'm sure Keane did it once too, why Utd fans hate the Glazers and why it's total nonsense to claim they put any of their own money into the club and he'd just ignore it and parrot the same ill-informed bollocks whenever the topic came up.

He was a fecking shite pundit and I'm glad to see he's gone.
Exactly. He struck me as a bitter old man who is too stubborn to admit when he's wrong. Same thing when calling Casemiro a 'steady Eddie' after United signed him. Neville called him out on it a couple of months ago and Souness refused to admit he got it wrong.

Lost bear

Sometimes he sounded weirdly reactionary and old fashioned but he was also vegan and pro-gay rights. He's comes across like a stereotype but he does seem more interesting than that.

He'd finally chased Pogba out of England so he could retire gracefully. :lol:
:lol:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It is what it is, producers target big reputation ex-players who is clearly biased or a fan of the ex-club.

To gain what? To gain wind ups, banter and controversial takes on players on their rival clubs. It worked.

Anyway, good riddance Greame Souness! Enjoy your retirement!
You can justify that if you're Talksport or a YouTube fan channel but you'd expect better from Sky Sports as they charge their audience a pricey subscription fee. For that kind of money you'd expect their pundits to do their research before going on-air, and maybe even offer the occasional tactical analysis, instead of continuing to employ dinosaurs like Souness so that they can go on the wind up for the bants.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
You can justify that if you're Talksport or a YouTube fan channel but you'd expect better from Sky Sports as they charge their audience a pricey subscription fee. For that kind of money you'd expect their pundits to do their research before going on-air, and maybe even offer the occasional tactical analysis, instead of continuing to employ dinosaurs like Souness so that they can go on the wind up for the bants.
Like Roy Keane?

Most ex players are absolutely clueless. Michael Owen has a whole list of stupid things he has said including liking a player with 2 feet (should hope so). Scholes, Jenas, Richards. Countless names of players who don’t do research and go on air just to launch click bait style rants or primary school level analysis.

Souness is just another one who said too much although he did bring up valid points at times. I don’t particularly care for the man as a pundit but he has my respect for the flag incident with Galatasaray and actually coming out of that alive.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Boring pundit that just mostly rehashed the same tired clichés. Didn't understand modern football or the modern footballer and offered nothing of note.

YikesSchmeics

Spoke really well on social issues at times.

But he was a dreadful pundit. And he cannot mask his contempt for us to a level that is wildly unprofessional. Good riddance. Off to TalkSh*te you go.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Loved his stuff on the Zouma incident and as above the gay rights section.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s joined an Italian football TV channel. Their equivalent to Sky pretty much.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He never contributed anything intelligent except trying to denigrate United in any way possible.

Good riddance.

Good riddance. He has all the footballing insight of a house brick, as shown by his managerial efforts, and he almost single handedly led a public witch hunt against one of our players.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Like Roy Keane?

Most ex players are absolutely clueless. Michael Owen has a whole list of stupid things he has said including liking a player with 2 feet (should hope so). Scholes, Jenas, Richards. Countless names of players who don’t do research and go on air just to launch click bait style rants or primary school level analysis.
Yep. Keano is hardly my favourite pundit either but at least he's not defended parasitic owners on multiple occasions. He usually sticks to topics that he's well-equipped to comment on.

I don’t particularly care for the man as a pundit but he has my respect for the flag incident with Galatasaray and actually coming out of that alive.
The number of times since then where he's used faux-outrage to say things like "Mourinho could've caused a riot with his celebration" or "I could've been seriously injured from an empty beer can thrown by United fans" has lost him all credibility. If you're going to incite a riot in a Turkish Derby (and continue to stand by actions) then you can't pretend to offended by far more trivial incidents.

cyberman

Like Roy Keane?

Souness is just another one who said too much although he did bring up valid points at times. I don’t particularly care for the man as a pundit but he has my respect for the flag incident with Galatasaray and actually coming out of that alive.
Souness was bang out of order with the flag. Why respect that?

keithsingleton

I like him as a pundit and will miss his straight talking. Ok he didn’t like us mancs but he knew the game inside out. Brutal on the pitch in his day. No doubt we will now get another new pundit who knows Jack shite about the game. There’s too many of them now. :(

PeteManic

He is the perfect pundit for the Sky subscribers demographic but I'm sure he's fed up of it and having to be careful with what he says. His time has moved on. He was great on RTE in the mid 00s.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s still going to be a Mail columnist. Expect some crazy ABU headlines.

The-Mezzala

Think when he called Casemiro a “steady eddy” . He showed clearly by that stupid comment he doesn’t watch much football bar Liverpool. Heard from older fans he was a good player. But way before my day so never saw him. As a pundit didn’t offer a lot.