Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He shouldn’t, and I hope he doesn’t take the Chelsea job. They are a mess and he is building something special at Brighton.
They might not win the league but you can see BHAFC having a Leicesteresque season soon and winning something.

TheLiverBird

Conte could feck off at the drop of a hat. Let’s not pretend he’s going to get comfy.
Looks to be in a good situation for this season for sure though

Champions League Football, good start to the league campaign 6 games in a zero losses

When you haven’t operated at an elite club you can’t wait too see what happens when these opportunities arise, you take them

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We have to face him another two times this season ffs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can understand Potter wanting to take the Chelsea job but if it doesn't go well straight away he'll get the sack just like Tuchel and then he'll have to rebuild his career like Moyes did when we gave him the boot

Feel like waiting for one of the other top 6 jobs would be better for him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was a manager then the fact that Boehly has just continued the Chelsea tradition of ditching managers at the drop of a hat, with their managers in recent years having lasted an average of 13 months, would at least be some sort of red flag.

Potter isn't a Conte or Tuchel who had had top level jobs before and would always be quite likely to walk back into one again post-Chelsea. This would be a much bigger step up in his career and, if it goes wrong, be more damaging.

It certainly shouldn't be a given that he goes there just because they're a bigger club. He should be looking for a club where the conditions are correct.

CM

Potter would be an intriguing appointment if he's given the time to make his mark on the Chelsea team. If the owners are going to give him the Tuchel treatment he's on a hiding to nothing obviously.

The football Potter's Brighton team have played has looked really fluent at times and it'd be the first time in a while I'd be slightly worried about Chelsea looking good again. If he can play that style of football with relative no marks he could be a really good manager with better players at his disposal.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He shouldn’t, and I hope he doesn’t take the Chelsea job. They are a mess and he is building something special at Brighton.
They might not win the league but you can see BHAFC having a Leicesteresque season soon and winning something.
feck Brighton, it’s a great opportunity for Potter to manage in the CL and compete at the highest level instead of trying to keep Brighton in the EL slots.

Brighton fans were booing him last season ffs! feck them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously Klopp could be gone by the end of the season and Liverpool would be a much better fit for Potter (assuming Liverpool would want him of course)

C'est Moi Cantona

I'd be surprised if Potter took this job. He'll need time even if he is the real deal, something Chelsea won't give him. and given it could be a one shot at the big time for him, then imo they'll be plenty of other top jobs coming up pretty soon with clubs who will give him a better chance at proving himself.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
feck Brighton, it’s a great opportunity for Potter to manage in the CL and compete at the highest level instead of trying to keep Brighton in the EL slots.

Clearly that’s out of order, maybe they don’t deserve him. But Chelsea seems like a one way street to nowhere and the sack. Brighton has progression and he could even end up at a better club than Chelsea.

Also, always feck Chelsea. Feck them way more than Brighton and there smalltime fans.

Nickosaur

Yeah not looking good if Chelsea ITKs saying he's accepted.

Sleep on it Graham ffs! Tell them to get fecked!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think people are being fatalistic by saying a bad stint could destroy Potter. Everybody knows the Chelsea job isn't easy and they sack managers for fun but most have gone on to decent jobs afterwards:

Mourinho (us)
Benitez (Napoli)
Villas-Boas (Spurs)
Ancelotti (PSG)
Conte (Inter)

This is genuinely a step up for him and even one good year followed by a bad one would put him on better ground for another top job afterwards (or the England job).

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Could possibly have ascended to the England job in the near future. But Chelsea might be a poisoned chalice that’s just too good to turn down for a job that might never materialise. Will be an interesting appointment.

ShoePolish

But the other top 5 of the top 6 clubs are all taken

Pep long term
Klopp long term
Ten Hag just started
Conte will probably get extension
Arteta looking strong right now

when a top 6 Club comes calling, it’s an opportunity you can’t miss, wether it’s the right fit doesn’t really matter, is Potter going to say hmmm not for me guys, no thanks…..of course not
Peps said he might leave after this season for another hiatus. Not that City would go for Potter anyway.

c gull

Supports
Brighton
It was nothing short of embarrassing. He has done incredible to keep them in the division let alone where they are.
But when we beat you this season there were boos from the stands that also embarrassing.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
In one of my discussions last week with Religion I mentioned that I wanted to write something entitled Tuchel vs Mount. I was basically describing why I thought they would move on from Tuchel as soon as they had a DoF, probably before the winter window.

All of that is a moot point now, but this highlights that it was only a surprise in that it was a month or two earlier than expected. I wasn’t the only one who felt that way.

But people are misreading the “why”. Roman was super ruthless, and it was all results driven. Boehly’s group want to have the right person for their project, the one they’ve chosen.

They have been through this before. In that situation they actually liked Mattingly, but he was the incumbent manager, and it never really gel’d or felt like their project, and trying to do the same things just with more money wasn’t working. Mattingly was baseball royalty. They eventually signed “their” guy, and even through a few disappointing seasons he has been the manager for 6? Years now?

They specifically said in interviews at the time that the fact they didn’t hire Mattingly always came up as an issue in the relationship with the new owners.

With coaches THEY hire, Clearlake does not have a reputation for quick triggers. The manager they hired was well thought of in baseball, but not a big name. Roberts had only managed for one year with the Padres before getting the Dodgers job.

This all looks a little Deja Vu to me. Except, unlike Mattingly, I don’t think they care for Tuchel.

The Ronaldo stuff is just silly. First, Boehly doesn’t make unilateral decisions for the ownership group: so him “needing” a particular player would probably carry little weight. Second, they agreed to not go for Ronaldo, and they made the decision to go for Potter before they ever saw Auba play. Third, there were MUCH more serious issues in their relationship:

They don’t like how he plays. Even when we were winning it wasnt exactly fun to watch. Without Kante, they struggle to find a place for Mount (a key academy graduate and already a team leader) in Tuchels system.

I personally think the handshake incident with Conte was an issue for them.

There WERE issues where things came to a head during the transfer window, but the most serious ones involved them feeling like Tuchel blindsided them. On Chelsea content sites news was coming out that Boehly was trying to block a Tuchel sanctioned sale of Gilmour and was supposedly … not happy. That was about two hours before Gilmour sale was announced. Tuchel had told them we were “fine” in midfield only a few weeks earlier, and had told them to hold off on making a bid for Sangare in June. It left them completely out of sorts deadline day.

I can believe Boehly was interested in Ronaldo, but that being the prime issue …. the timing is wrong. Your media just like the clicks for Ronaldo stories I think.

If Potter does come I believe he will be supported. Chelsea are apparently interested in making one of Potters staff the new head scout… a position they just made available just under a week ago. I believe them when they say the DoF will be in place soon.

There is more thought that went into this than people are realizing. If I had to guess, Tuchels been a lame duck for at least two weeks. And yes, that means this probably didn’t come as a “shock” to Graham Potter.

Boehly and Clearlake have never had a reputation of being difficult to work with. Tuchel has had that reputation at every place he has been to, hasn’t he? If Roman was still in charge I would feel different about letting Tuchel go, because he knew what he was getting when he hired him. But new owners don’t generally keep incumbent coaches. They almost always end up wanting “their” guy. Tuchel will get a golden parachute and land some where great. And the Damacles sword hanging over the Chelsea Clearlake project can get put away, and the effort started in earnest. When you know something is inevitable, just do it.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I expect he'd already given the nod before Chelsea pulled the trigger on Tuchel

really good appointment for them, I was hoping they'd go for Poch

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Can understand Potter wanting to take the Chelsea job but if it doesn't go well straight away he'll get the sack just like Tuchel and then he'll have to rebuild his career like Moyes did when we gave him the boot

Feel like waiting for one of the other top 6 jobs would be better for him
He could win the UCL and there's still the risk of getting sacked so is Chelsea...

SAFMUTD

Anyone thinking Potter won't take the job is fooling himself. When a big 6 team comes calling you answer, it's just the way it is.

afatzp

One thing we should see is that, Chelsea actually has very good squad. The core players have the CL-winning experience and still at prime ages, and the additions this summer, despite all the drama in the recruiting process and overpaid, are all proper profiles. As long as Porter can boost the players' morale , he should get couple easy wins to establish himself and buy time for the later long term changes he would like to make.

To compare, ETH had a much worse job with us at the beginning: he was inherited an imbalanced squad and the major midfield targets were never or brought in very late. Also the team was poorly trained by prior coaches and did not have the fitness nor the understanding to implement his tactics, so basically he had to start from ground zero to build his philosophy into players' minds.

So I should say Chelsea will be still very competitive and definitely be our top-4 rival if they recruit Porter , despite how absurd and unplanned it looks like of sacking Tuchel within one month since the season starts.

colombianmancunian

Anyone thinking Potter won't take the job is fooling himself. When a big 6 team comes calling you answer, it's just the way it is.
The thing is, can he work his magic at that stage? Can he do what he did for Gryffindor and the Wizarlding World? Will Ron Weasley be his assistant?

Sorry couldn’t resist.

largelyworried

If Potter is appointed then you have to say that Chelsea’s top four slot is back in play. Chelsea's squad is no better than anyone else's going for the top four. The only reason that most fans had Chelsea in the top four automatically was the added value of having Tuchel as coach. Potter may well be able to build something even better over time, who knows, but I'd be very surprised if he outperformed Arteta, Conte, ETH and Klopp this season. If Chelsea really do want to build something with Potter they better be prepared to accept losing out on the top four as the short term risk.

bringbackbebe

One thing we should see is that, Chelsea actually has very good squad. The core players have the CL-winning experience and still at prime ages, and the additions this summer, despite all the drama in the recruiting process and overpaid, are all proper profiles. As long as Porter can boost the players' morale , he should get couple easy wins to establish himself and buy time for the later long term changes he would like to make.

To compare, ETH had a much worse job with us at the beginning: he was inherited an imbalanced squad and the major midfield targets were never or brought in very late. Also the team was poorly trained by prior coaches and did not have the fitness nor the understanding to implement his tactics, so basically he had to start from ground zero to build his philosophy into players' minds.

So I should say Chelsea will be still very competitive and definitely be our top-4 rival if they recruit Porter , despite how absurd and unplanned it looks like of sacking Tuchel within one month since the season starts.
Quality of the squad counts for little if placed in a confused surrounding, with poor attitude & filled with toxicity. We were a textbook example of that last season.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Totally misread this. Thought he'd gone full heel turn and joined Chelsea.

Bondi77

I like Potter and I hope he goes there as no matter what he does he will be lucky to last two seasons at Chelsea like any coach in the world would so in a few seasons time if we are in the market for a coach ( which I hope we are not) then there will be one less contender for him.

NoPace

It's a good squad but it is unbalanced. Old CB who can only play in a 3 and his partners are Koulibaly (who is having trouble adjusting though early days obviously) and a prospect in Fofana. They're well stocked at fullback (though could use a real backup for James) and central midfield but don't really have one who can tackle and defend with Kante missing so much time and they only have Aubameyang and Broja up top and Ziyech on the right wing (though Sterling can play there and then you have Pulisic on the left though Chelsea fans seem to hate him), and Mendy has been shaky lately and Kepa seems to be permanently shaky.

Be interesting to see how Potter plays it. Maybe like this?

----------------Auba/Broja-----------------
------------Sterling-----Mount-----------
Chilwell--Kovacic--Zakaria-------James
-----Cucarella-Koulibaly-Fofana----
--------------------Mendy-------------------

That's pretty similar to Tuchel's team though.

A wild card I could see is Mount playing deeper and Gallagher starting up top to give them more mobility in midfield, even though it would leave them pretty open with too much on Kovacic without the ball.

Boondog

Yes Potter is a no-brainer and I don't think Boehly is going to be a poor owner either. I think Chelsea was always going to be a problem with Boehly owning them.

Brighton will be fine too by the way. Their owner is excellent in his own way and will make a shrewd choice of replacement. Unlikely to find another Potter but maybe that's for the best.