Gaming Grand Theft Auto VI

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is third person outdated now? Man I’m getting old :lol:
Third person with dot reticle for a game you spend half your time shooting feels very dated. I’m no spring chicken myself

Herman Toothrot

Is third person outdated now? Man I’m getting old :lol:
Yeah, that's just bonkers. Joins outdated games like Elden Ring, Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part I & II, Zelda, the remakes of Resident Evil and Dead Space, Jedi Survivor, Alan Wake 2, Control...

Abizzz

Third person with dot reticle for a game you spend half your time shooting feels very dated. I’m no spring chicken myself
Come on you can't review a game where you failed to press V even once (well maybe twice technically :lol: )

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Come on you can't review a game where you failed to press V even once (well maybe twice technically :lol: )
My PS5 controller doesn’t have a V button. I’ve completed the game twice, once on release and again about 6 years ago on PC, then modded the shit out of it and had a lot of fun doing it so I think I’m in a pretty good place to review it.

What my comment was about was when I loaded it up when the PS5 version dropped and started it all again and it just felt so painfully slow and clunky and dated.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My PS5 controller doesn’t have a V button. I’ve completed the game twice, once on release and again about 6 years ago on PC, then modded the shit out of it and had a lot of fun doing it so I think I’m in a pretty good place to review it.

What my comment was about was when I loaded it up when the PS5 version dropped and started it all again and it just felt so painfully slow and clunky and dated.
I also felt this when trying to replay it last year.

Abizzz

It's d-pad right twice on that iirc ;) I don't know, I went into first person the first time I entered a car just to see the inside. Difficult to understand how anyone could not discover it to be honest... but there we go.

But obviously it's 10 years old now and the code behind it more like ~ 15 years so I won't argue the dated part.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Difficult to understand how anyone could not discover it to be honest... but there we go.
There are a lot of things difficult to understand in this world and it appears someone not being able to find first person mode on GTAV when they’re not even aware it existed is one of them. I hope you’re able to move on from this.

Abizzz

There are a lot of things difficult to understand in this world and it appears someone not being able to find first person mode on GTAV when they’re not even aware it existed is one of them. I hope you’re able to move on from this.
To me it's akin to taking over a club in FM and never changing the formation, only to then complain about how the players never fit the "normal" formation ;)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I miss the days of people scanning magazines onto the internet so people on forums could analyse every part of an article including all the screenshots in the folds.

Then you’d have someone zoom in on a tiny dot and be like “dogs confirmed in San Andreas?”
Never been more hyped about a game than Vice City. The rumour mill on GameFAQs just added to the hype. Me and a mate would talk about it every day in school for months, buying any magazine that talked about it. Then it finally came out and his mum wouldn't let him buy it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wonder if the clunkiness will ever be resolved with Rockstar. RDR2 was pretty clunky, but the best game ever made for me. The controls were the main reason for that. If the next GTA builds on the level of depth in the world that RDR2 had I can forgive any clunkiness, but it'd be nice if they improved it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I wonder if the clunkiness will ever be resolved with Rockstar. RDR2 was pretty clunky, but the best game ever made for me. The controls were the main reason for that. If the next GTA builds on the level of depth in the world that RDR2 had I can forgive any clunkiness, but it'd be nice if they improved it.
NakeyJakey's video on their game design also basically ruined RDR2 for me. I hope they have completely switched up the formula and logic of the game this time round.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I started RDR2 again at the weekend and have been so impressed. I'd kind of forgotten just how good and beautiful it is. Incredible.

However, surely it's easier to give an empty world the feeling of depth than a highly poplated world? RDRD2, the west, big open and largely empty so it's easier to fill. I've often said, as someone who's not completed a GTA game since Vice City, make the worlds a bit, just a bit, smaller and put the focus on filling it more.

I hope Rockstar don't use GTA6 to create the 'biggest' world, rather fill it with some more depth.

AnotherLondonManc

I started RDR2 again at the weekend and have been so impressed. I'd kind of forgotten just how good and beautiful it is. Incredible.

However, surely it's easier to give an empty world the feeling of depth than a highly poplated world? RDRD2, the west, big open and largely empty so it's easier to fill. I've often said, as someone who's not completed a GTA game since Vice City, make the worlds a bit, just a bit, smaller and put the focus on filling it more.

I hope Rockstar don't use GTA6 to create the 'biggest' world, rather fill it with some more depth.
I'm not concerned. Rockstar have a history of creating authentic, vibrant worlds. GTA V was absolutely massive, and they still managed to pack it full of events and Easter eggs.

The map size will have to be significantly larger than RDR2, as traversal is so much faster in a car. You could probably drive from Valentine to Saint Denis in under 2 minutes in a Ferrari, where it probably took around 10 on a horse.

I'm just disappointed it's likely to be set in Miami. There are so many great potential overseas locations, yet GTA seems to be on an endless loop of New York, LA, and Miami

acnumber9

The map size will have to be significantly larger than RDR2, as traversal is so much faster in a car. You could probably drive from Valentine to Saint Denis in under 2 minutes in a Ferrari, where it probably took around 10 on a horse.
Is it a good thing that it takes 10 minutes though? I know some people like to take in the scenery but travelling from one end of the map to the other just for a brief mission can be torturous.

AnotherLondonManc

Is it a good thing that it takes 10 minutes though? I know some people like to take in the scenery but travelling from one end of the map to the other just for a brief mission can be torturous.
Fast travel points are a staple in open world games, so I doubt it'll be an issue. Driving cars is more fun than riding horses in any instance, and Rockstar are pretty good at keeping you engaged where a long drive is mandatory.

There's also normally a lot to explore between any 2 areas. They couldn't just have 2 points of interest with nothing between them. Would certainly break immersion somewhat

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They need to have way more interiors and that’s what I’ve heard so hopefully it’s true.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
GTA V felt clunky on release day to anyone who'd played Sleeping Dogs the year before.

acnumber9

Fast travel points are a staple in open world games, so I doubt it'll be an issue. Driving cars is more fun than riding horses in any instance, and Rockstar are pretty good at keeping you engaged where a long drive is mandatory.

There's also normally a lot to explore between any 2 areas. They couldn't just have 2 points of interest with nothing between them. Would certainly break immersion somewhat
They are but these type of games love a mission that involves you travelling with somebody or following them so the trek is forced upon you. It’s just another example of the bloat open world games suffer from now. Bigger isn’t always better.

Herman Toothrot

I think it's the greatest game of them all. I've played it through at least four times and keep discovering more. The criticism of some of its mechanics is fair, and even as familiar as I am with how it all works behind the scenes and knowing the scripted events, it's still a joy to spend time in.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
They are but these type of games love a mission that involves you travelling with somebody or following them so the trek is forced upon you. It’s just another example of the bloat open world games suffer from now. Bigger isn’t always better.
Someone mentioned Nakey Jake before and he criticised being forced into doing missions how the game wants to in order to have epic cutscenes. While this was something that happened in the ps2 era those games gave you more freedom to complete the mission how you wanted.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think it's the greatest game of them all. I've played it through at least four times and keep discovering more. The criticism of some of its mechanics is fair, and even as familiar as I am with how it all works behind the scenes and knowing the scripted events, it's still a joy to spend time in.
I wouldn't vote that way myself, however, if it did roundly get voted the GGOAT then I'd have no real quibble. It is stunning in every way.

My first playthough, I left all the exploring, legendary fish and animals too late, AM had started coughing etc and it kind of ruined the experience of being in and surviving in the wild a little for me so put it down.

Determined to rinse it this time and so far (only just come out of the snowy mountains prologue) 'm just being reminded almost every few minutes that it's definitely one of the best looking and atmospheric games ever made.

Herman Toothrot

Someone mentioned Nakey Jake before and he criticised being forced into doing missions how the game wants to in order to have epic cutscenes. While this was something that happened in the ps2 era those games gave you more freedom to complete the mission how you wanted.
That's fine. But as you'll have experienced playing a Far Cry of Starfield, it's a pure gaming experience with very little in the way of successful storytelling or emotional stakes. There's something inherently less cinematic about sniping the big bad from behind the most distant object you can hide behind than being forced into a no-win brawl. Both are fine, but a Rockstar game should not be a Bethesda or Ubisoft game.

Herman Toothrot

I wouldn't vote that way myself, however, if it did roundly get voted the GGOAT then I'd have no real quibble. It is stunning in every way.

My first playthough, I left all the exploring, legendary fish and animals too late, AM had started coughing etc and it kind of ruined the experience of being in and surviving in the wild a little for me so put it down.

Determined to rinse it this time and so far (only just come out of the snowy mountains prologue) 'm just being reminded almost every few minutes that it's definitely one of the best looking and atmospheric games ever made.
I've never caught any fish in a game that I didn't have to!

Ainu

Can't say the thought of another GTA does much for me. Driving around in an open world and causing chaos was something I found fun 20+ years ago, but simply doesn't appeal to me at all anymore. By the time GTA V came around, I was already tired of it, and that's a full decade ago.

They need to come up with some new ideas to keep it fresh, and I don't really see how.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nice. Expecting it to release late 2025 / early 2026, with an outside chance of 2027 delay. Hopefully it's out on the new Switch as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't say the thought of another GTA does much for me. Driving around in an open world and causing chaos was something I found fun 20+ years ago, but simply doesn't appeal to me at all anymore. By the time GTA V came around, I was already tired of it, and that's a full decade ago.

They need to come up with some new ideas to keep it fresh, and I don't really see how.
They just need to reinvent their gameplay loop. I have no doubt the writing, world building and narrative will be decent to great. The gameplay is the worry for me.

Real Name

Maybe cause GTA V story never caught up, at least on me. It was great and all but never had fun as much as I did playing San Andreas. Maybe we're just too old.