Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
"I think the last four games have really shown the changes that have come about within the team in the last couple of months," Varela told MUTV. "It’s clear that we’ve got every intention of finishing the season on an upward curve.

“Of course, I’m very happy with a run of four matches in the side and four victories as well. I feel enormous pride in being able to play for a club like Manchester United. I think the important thing is that we keep working, and I want to keep working to keep a regular place in the team so that, in time, I can reach 50, 100 or 200 games in the shirt."

"I can say that it’s only recently I realised how the love you get on social media has such an effect," he said. "I’m so popular with the fans but I also want to talk about the effect it has on me. It’s only when you realise the scale of it [that you can appreciate it], and I want to say thanks to all of those people who are supporting me, it helps to drive me forward and motivates me to produce my best on the pitch."

When asked if he considered himself a regular in the line-up yet, he replied: "I don’t really. I think my main task is to keep working on a day-by-day basis to show the coach that I am a candidate for a regular first-team spot. I wouldn’t say I’m an automatic pick now, that would be a bit premature."

"Over-tired would be the best word [to describe how I’m feeling at the moment]," he added. "It’s been very hard on my legs. Now, we have a recovery and recuperation period, we do very good work in that area, and let’s not forget we have an extra day of recovery ahead of this Sunday. Hopefully that will help us to find full form."

Shimo

LVG said in an interview today that there was interest from Spain in the January window but, they thought he could have a part to play so didn't go for it. Not sure if it was loan or permanent but, whatever the case, a very good decision !

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
LVG said in an interview today that there was interest from Spain in the January window but, they thought he could have a part to play so didn't go for it. Not sure if it was loan or permanent but, whatever the case, a very good decision !
“First I wanted to leave, but Louis van Gaal asked me to stay,” Varela said.

“He gave me the opportunity and luckily I’ve played for many matches in a row.”

Also almost went to Genoa permanently in January.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. He's done very well so far but hes young and its far too soon to be complaining if hes not in the starting lineup. Rest him whilst on a high and let him come back in a few games firing. The worst thing would be to make him play tired, suffer a bad loss and dent his confidence. We are lucky to have four/five solid, young fullbacks at the club who can cover for each other.

Ventura

So maybe Darmian is better in defense, but what we really need is attack, and Varela has had some important involvements and crosses leading directly to chances. Hopefully he'll play the next few games.

We need an rvn

well done lad. shows hard work and determination pay off. Got his first full international call up after his performance lately. Bit too soon in my eyes considering he's played 4 games, it's a bit like England calling up Rashford after 4 goals in 3 games. But still, proud moment for him and well done to Giggs/LVG for persuading him to stick it out and work to get into the team.

Devil may care

What are we thinking about the lad now, could he be our surprise solution the way Bellerin has been for Arsenal or do we need to invest in the summer?
I think Darmian and Varela will get next season to stake their claim to be our long term RB.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What are we thinking about the lad now, could he be our surprise solution the way Bellerin has been for Arsenal or do we need to invest in the summer?
I think we should look to other areas to invest first. There are more pressing concerns than the RB position currently.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
will be nice for him to watch from the sidelines the rest of the year (not the bench, i mean the press box) as he watches and learns the delicate nuances of the trade that only a skilled master such as valencia can offer.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
No complaints about him tonight. Thought Blind was better as an outfielder though.

I like him from what I've seen so far.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
One of the few players who turned up and showed some fight.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Good in the first half. Seemed to get a bit lost in the second half. The change in system was clearly meant to get Blind into the game offensively, but Varela was lost. And yet he was still the best outfielder.

facund

He looks far too eager and adventurous for this team of lacklustre sh*te.

MAME DIOUF 32

He offered very little threat and passed the ball backwards too often bit he didn't embarrass himself like most of the others

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Some of the players look scared to mix it and express themselves, especially in games like tonight.

Not Guillermo however. Get the feeling he was born for games like these.

Glanville95

I like him personally. Got a long way to go defensively, but he does have the makings of a very good defender.

Just hope Jose will entrust him.

Sylar

Honestly, havent seen him have a bad game yet for us that I can remember.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly, havent seen him have a bad game yet for us that I can remember.
If I remember rightly he wasn't great against Bournemouth but other than that he's been quite good.

Man Utd 1:1 West Ham

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
My man of the match today. Had a dodgy 10 minute spell at the beginning but recovered quite magnificently from that. The way he ran back and stopped Payet from one on one was brilliant to see.

Man-United

Why did we sign Darmian when we have this kid? He's a much better player.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Very balanced player, can defend and attack.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's superb. He really is. Yet to have a below average game let alone a bad one.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why did we sign Darmian when we have this kid? He's a much better player.
Not only him a number of our reserves have turned out better than some of our big money signings.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I like his pace and tenacity, him and Darmian should be our options for next season. Why has it taken so long for him to break through though?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Was one of the better players today. Have not been overly impressed with his defending till now but today he was very good defensively too.

He has a future here.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
My man of the match today. Had a dodgy 10 minute spell at the beginning but recovered quite magnificently from that. The way he ran back and stopped Payet from one on one was brilliant to see.
The chance from the corner? Personally, I think that was all his fault in the first place. If he is meant to be the last man back wtf was he doing 30 yards inside their half? That was absolutely ridiculous and he was very lucky to get away with it.

Good overall though and I hope remains first choice.

criticalanalysis

The chance from the corner? Personally, I think that was all his fault in the first place. If he is meant to be the last man back wtf was he doing 30 yards inside their half? That was absolutely ridiculous and he was very lucky to get away with it.

Good overall though and I hope remains first choice.
That's a good point, I didn't notice that but before that it came from a very lazy cross into the box centrally from Depay, who had plenty of time (where most of our players where so he knew the potential/danger) and it didn't even clear the first man.

I can't criticise players like Varela because whatever quality/ability he lacks or whatever criticism you want to lay onto him, he makes up or at the very least neutralises it with his energy and attacking display.

I can't say the same for other players like Darmian, Carrick, Fellani and Depay, who are net negatives for me when they play.

And conversely it's why I'm lenient to Blind (passing and composure from the back), Lingard (movement and energy), Schneiderlin (energy and movement) etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.