Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Challenging Blind for winner of the worst performance of the season. He's been shocking.

kps88

He's been thrown into the deep end lately, can't be surprised when that happens.

Obiorahking_

So nobody is going to mention how his positional game is non existent and his defense on Coutinho was horrendous??

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Hadn't had a bad game yet. Till now. Shame.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Another Rafael.

People get all starry-eyed at his pace and willingness to overlap, ignoring that he can't defend for shit.

Obiorahking_

What do we even teach our guys at the acedemy. That is a textbook mistake, you never stand square against your attacker.

Jacob

No need to go over the top with your judgment. You are taking the criticality of the goal into account. He's been decent cover during and injury-riddled period.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Midfield was way too high considering it was a pass from Mignolet to Can to Coutinho. United were way too open and Coutinho had options to go either left or right because there was no one close to Varela and Varela expected him to go right and shoot.

Obiorahking_

Another Rafael.

People get all starry-eyed at his pace and willingness to overlap, ignoring that he can't defend for shit.
Been saying this for awhile now. I do admire how great he is going forward, he contributed to a couple of goals during his time here due to that but when you partner him with someone other than Lingard, his defensive incapabilities are exposed.

CM

He really hasn't had a good game. Seems to be absent when Liverpool go down their left and the one time he is there, he runs away from the ball. :houllier:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Another Rafael.

Rafa was much better. At his best Rafa kept the likes of Bale and Hazard quiet. Varela isn't half the defender. Enthusiasm can't cover for his limited defensive ability.

Gets square in front of Coutino, after that he's got no influence on which way Coutino will go. He's also too flat footed to react when Coutino decides to attack. Horrible positioning.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What do we even teach our guys at the acedemy. That is a textbook mistake, you never stand square against your attacker.
Academy? He signed for us 2 years ago as a 20 year old and spent a year of that time at Real Madrid B.

Dobbs

He's been fine apart from the goal. He won't be the first or last fullback to get rinsed by Coutinho.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Having a poor game. Guess it happens though, he's generally not been too bad for us so far. Hopefully it's a learning curve for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It looks more like a lack of experience, and, being completely isolated because of no support from his wide man than anything else.

The kid is young and out of his depth tonight, but with that being the case, why has the manager kept him on the pitch? He looked shaky for a good portion of the half, other managers would've pulled him for that, especially so with how big a game this is.

Leg-End

Poor performance but for the goal, as bad as he was he also had zero coverage.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rafa was much better. At his best Rafa kept the likes of Bale and Hazard quiet. Varela isn't half the defender. Enthusiasm can't cover for his limited defensive ability.

Gets square in front of Coutino, after that he's got no influence on which way Coutino will go. He's also too flat footed to react when Coutino decides to attack. Horrible positioning.
True. Although I think people forget with Rafael how long he'd been there, and that he was actually fairly experienced for us. I mean, he'd been playing for us for a number of seasons by the time he left, and would've probably been into 200 games had it not been for injuries.

He did start a lot younger than Varela though, who I think is going to have to learn from the rougher parts of his game quite quickly in order to have a long-term chance here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh he's shit now because of that mistake? Gotcha.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Midfield was way too high considering it was a pass from Mignolet to Can to Coutinho. United were way too open and Coutinho had options to go either left or right because there was no one close to Varela and Varela expected him to go right and shoot.
Indeed. As we were on at least a couple of occasions before, which we weren't punished for - through pure luck more than anything.

The kid should've done better, fair enough, but it's more than him. If he commits himself there and fails to make the challenge count, there's zero cover. Nobody reads it - and then DDG doesn't cover himself in glory either.

Obiorahking_

Academy? He signed for us 2 years ago as a 20 year old and spent a year of that time at Real Madrid B.
What a stupid nitpicking response. Does that excuse from not knowing the basics of defending?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I blame van Gaal. This was a accident waiting to happen and our idiot manager didn't see it. Shameful

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Indeed. As we were on at least a couple of occasions before, which we weren't punished for - through pure luck more than anything.

The kid should've done better, fair enough, but it's more than him. If he commits himself there and fails to make the challenge count, there's zero cover. Nobody reads it - and then DDG doesn't cover himself in glory either.
He could have done better but so could other people up higher and De Gea in goal. De Gea didn't close the goal well enough, Coutinho could even have put it past him at the near post by the ground. I'm not gonna hold that against Dave though any more than that goal against Varela. Liverpool had plenty of chances before the goal without those two making a mistake.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What a stupid nitpicking response. Does that excuse from not knowing the basics of defending?
I just think it's daft blaming the academy for a play that has had... nothing to do with the academy.

Ibi Dreams

I hope this doesn't mean he spends ages out of the team, but I expect it probably will.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
feck off LvG for subbing him off at halftime after he made a mistake.

I hate the way he deals with some players.
As much as I don't like him, I don't see the problem with this. Not even remotely. If he feels like Varela has been exposed (which many will agree with), then it makes perfect sense to take him off, and replace him with someone else. I expect people would've been moaning after long if Varela had been left on. And we'd been praising a better manager for his decisiveness.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nobody is saying that, rather that they have finally seen how nonexistent he is defensively. Nice try though.
Yeah that's what a bad half of football does, apparently it erases everyone you've done before it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The classic locking the stable door after the horse has bolted!

Status
Not open for further replies.