Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Very close to being my MOTM; hope we don't do anything stupid like let him go anytime soon.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He offers so much more going forward than darmian. If we could combine the 2 we might make a great player.

Fact is though for home games he has to start IMO.

Cro

There is something Rafael-esque about him. Love the fire in his belly, the way he always wants to contribute offensively, whilst giving everything chasing back, when out of position. That said, I really miss Rafa ...

I also like to see him start in our home games, especially with Lingard in front of him, who needs someone overlapping on the right side.

dichinero

One of the bright sparks of the season. Imagine if we had let him go in January!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agree - he should be our right back for the forseeable future.

Red_Beans

When your having as disappointing a season as we've had, with the dull goal shy football we've been playing for most of it, it's very easy to support a player who still shows such attacking intent and desire.

Varela is quick, has decent technical ability and good stamina but most importantly shows some passion and fearlessness on the field, but I still think he is far from being the complete package.

I personally love watching him play and think he should definitely be first choice, but he is already beginning to get the type of over hype on the caf that will see plenty of posters with the knives out when he has a bad game

C'est Moi Cantona

One of the bright sparks of the season. Imagine if we had let him go in January!
We maybe would if Debucy had come in, or at the very least it would have consigned him to the U21's for the most part.

As with most of the kids LvG is just stabbing the dark and sometimes it comes good, Varela is one of them.

m1y2

I like his pace and tenacity, him and Darmian should be our options for next season. Why has it taken so long for him to break through though?
its easily down to near to zero opportunities given by managers. Maybe he was too similar to Rafael but is it a flaw? Valencia was also seen as mr. reliable for too long and it was too risky not to buy a new RB. Now he's no1 RB in the team ahead of Italian flop, he's got much more potential just needs to start every game and we will benefit from it later. Great thing is that he can cover LB position as well just in case

Sylar

Honestly havent seen him have a bad / poor game for the first team. Hopefully starts ahead of Darmian against Liverpool.

Mike09

He was very good when going forward his run, crossing, composure and even his decision making were all very good. And defensively today he read the game well. That one on one situation against Payet will always be tough but he won the free kick anyway. My MOTM since he was very good both offensive and defensive today. He has to start ahead of Darmian against Liverpool, we need goals and Varela offers more when going forward.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Can't tell if he's instructed in recent games to man-mark Coutinho/Payet or he's getting drawn in by them. If it was an instruction then feck Van Gaal further, it's pretty much what caused Rashford to be pinned back vs Liverpool.

Nonetheless, I really like what he adds to our team. His deliveries are really improving.

LLMU

He should start every game for us from now on. An on form player is better than chopping and changing the right back position every game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hopefully he's fine for the Liverpool game... dreading the thought of having Darmian starting a game where we need to attack.

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought he was pretty good again, Becoming quite consistent which is good to see. One point I must make is I find it strange that LVG has him man marking opposition's best players rather than stick in position, Against Liverpool it was Coutinho and yesterday it seemed to be Payet.

Silverman

Deserves that RB position over Darmian. Could be the solution, early but ya never know.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I'm fairly certain we were talking about him not having a future here and being off in the summer and in January. Weird.

m1y2

he has that natural instinct to play the game at higher tempo and close down the spaces. Loved one moment when he appeared in the middle of pitch and simply won the ball anticipating the play even though it may look to someone as too offensive positioning, Iwsh we went for Poch, he would make him brilliant fullback...

criticalanalysis

I don't want to stereotype but he's Uruguayan and that basically means he's always gonna try to punch above his weight and run himself into the ground. Pretty much the whole national team is like this no?

suheilsworld

One of my favorite players this season. Really hope he is our preferred RB from now, but knowing LVG he is bound do make some daft decision and keep rotating him with Darmian. If Varela is fit, he should be starting every game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's like a Rafael light. Been class so far, but if he bulks up some in the summer then he'd be brilliant I think. Just like Rafael was in Fergie's latter years. Just hopefully he doesn't have the same injury problems (we should never have sold Rafa anyways but whatever)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Looks like he's dislodged Darmian as the first choice right back. Fair play to him, looked like another one of those Tosic kind of signings for a long while.

Truedevil

We'll need those overlapping runs from him for 90 minutes, hopefully he does well once again.

Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool

Litch

Really like him, technically really good and improving defensively each game. Him and Shaw could cover those positions for many years....

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's been out of position a lot today, going forward and back. Maybe a result of having to chase the game a bit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Shall we get the screen shots, diagrams and knives out for him?

Godfather

One of the worst fullback performances I have seen in quite a while. No idea what ppl see in him. He can't tackle, isn't very pacey and has no idea what to do with the ball at his feet. Horrible.

Stringer

He's being terrible all game. Kept losing the ball stupidly for no reason and then that piece of 'defending' to top it off.

Bwuk

I said before we should have had someone like Valencia ahead of him to help with this game.

He's struggled.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Awful today, overrunning it, missing the ball, not taking it with him, and then absolutely abused by Coutinho, costing us the game.

Completely written off what was a really promising game there now.
What a downer.

Is only the Europa though.

Status
Not open for further replies.