g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Based Adnan

Wasting away on the bench whilst our midfield is nothing short of a disgrace

Clueless manager

Onerealunited

With the proper management and strategy I believe he has the potential to be a good player for our team. For his own sake I hope he is talking with the club and wants a permanent way out. This might be the best for everyone involved at this time being. I have a feeling though that he will be a very good midfielder if he goes to the right club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
With the proper management and strategy I believe he has the potential to be a good player for our team. For his own sake I hope he is talking with the club and wants a permanent way out. This might be the best for everyone involved at this time being. I have a feeling though that he will be a very good midfielder if he goes to the right club.
I'm sure you rate him high, but we've rarely got it wrong with youth players. If they're good enough they will play for us and if they move on, they likely will have a good career, but never of the standard we needed of them.

El Zoido

He’s shown nothing when he’s played other than he’s naive and a dirty fecker.
Wrong. And also at least he puts a shift in whenever he plays. Dirty fecker cause he gets stuck in, wish more of our players would do the same instead of walking back and watching the other team hammer our goal.

Onerealunited

I'm sure you rate him high, but we've rarely got it wrong with youth players. If they're good enough they will play for us and if they move on, they likely will have a good career, but never of the standard we needed of them.
I very much agree with you. We have had our issues in promoting youth players and our biggest problem, and I don't think I am exagarating this, is that we overhype our own youth players. However, with Hannibal it is different, he has been bought for EUR 10m when he was 16 years old, alrady one of the largest talents back then, then he was loaned to the Championship (I watched some of his games), and in overall, given his age, his games, the strengt of the league he did quite well. Today, he is playing at a position where none of the ones that we have is actually good enough (bar Mainoo), but still we are afraid of using him or giving him some minutes because he isn't ready or to harsh? 1 thing is that he won't ever get ready without proper time and 1:1 management and the harshnes is smomething you can work with. It is easier to work with someones harshness than teach him how to kick the ball and read the game or make a good pas.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I very much agree with you. We have had our issues in promoting youth players and our biggest problem, and I don't think I am exagarating this, is that we overhype our own youth players. However, with Hannibal it is different, he has been bought for EUR 10m when he was 16 years old, alrady one of the largest talents back then, then he was loaned to the Championship (I watched some of his games), and in overall, given his age, his games, the strengt of the league he did quite well. Today, he is playing at a position where none of the ones that we have is actually good enough (bar Mainoo), but still we are afraid of using him or giving him some minutes because he isn't ready or to harsh? 1 thing is that he won't ever get ready without proper time and 1:1 management and the harshnes is smomething you can work with. It is easier to work with someones harshness than teach him how to kick the ball and read the game or make a good pas.
I think that's a fan issue, rather than anything to do with youth promotion though. He's had opportunities this season, he's just a bit too much like Bruno and positionally Ill disciplined. You can't blame Ten Hag, who's trying to keep his job, not relying on someone as erratic as Hannibal for bigger games. He will get more minutes this season - probably some in the fixture glut upcoming. In this run of fixtures I imagine Bournemouth will be his only real opportunity though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's going on here? How is he not on the bench, but Donny is?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

So he's not injured. Incredible that Donny is getting a bench seat ahead of him.

FerociousCorgis

im not saying he has been some sort of revelation, but yeah it has been ridiculous we have had donny on the bench instead of him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What risk exactly? Lads never actually been sent off in his 40 odd senior games. This myth that he's a walking red is just lazy.
Could have been sent off several times in the NUFC game when he was on a yellow. Once for chipping the ball away. Was very lucky.

Marwood

What risk exactly? Lads never actually been sent off in his 40 odd senior games. This myth that he's a walking red is just lazy.
No he's often on the brink and has been subbed off a number of times to avoid a red. He's got to sort it out. He's worse than young Keane and Rooney in that sense.

Having said that he should be more involved. We've got one fit CM and somehow Hannibal isn't getting a chance.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The manager not playing with a midfield will have a lot to say about PT; there's nowhere for Mejbri to go in this system.

His role is the one that's been abandoned.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah, his performance in that game was a disaster. Did nothing positive and should have been sent off. You can see why he’s barely featured since.
Dont gain trust by displays like that. I also think him knowing he was close to being sent off led to him backing out of a challenge leading up to one of their goals.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The manager not playing with a midfield will have a lot to say about PT; there's nowhere for Mejbri to go in this system.

His role is the one that's been abandoned.
That seems to be the case indeed. He was performing B2B role (I wasn't exactly impressed with him but still), it's just there is no place for such a player in ETH system.

Glorio

Even considering the last performance, in the few appearances he's had, he's still shown a lot more than Donny has.

If kids are left in the abyss after 1 poor game, how on earth will they develop?
I hope that's not what's happening to Mainoo as well.

Gordon Godot

Even considering the last performance, in the few appearances he's had, he's still shown a lot more than Donny has.

If kids are left in the abyss after 1 poor game, how on earth will they develop?
I hope that's not what's happening to Mainoo as well.
Yep, ETH promotion of youth has been disappointing. Why we start the likes of Martial or bring on Donny is beyond me. Lets go for youth and bin these time wasters

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yep, ETH promotion of youth has been disappointing. Why we start the likes of Martial or bring on Donny is beyond me. Lets go for youth and bin these time wasters
If he had the balls to ride through their development curve when playing younger players then, I would give him a longer rope. But as it is, he keeps trying to do the same thing over & over and yet hoping for a different result.

He needs to learn from Arteta and get rid of the older players and player young kids who he can mould. But from the comments by the Ajax fans here, he aint one for playing young kids unless forced to.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That seems to be the case indeed. He was performing B2B role (I wasn't exactly impressed with him but still), it's just there is no place for such a player in ETH system.
Yeah. You're either an AM or a DM in that system and he is neither, so effectively, there's nowhere for him to play.

Piecing it together, Hannibal was tasked with playing AM during preseason and the collective disappointment in that was it didn't give him a chance to exhibit his skills that are nearly all CM-related. In hindsight, it looks like that was the test run for the season proper to see if he could slot into the planned system up top.

If there was so little intention of actually playing a functional midfield, why even bother keep him here for the season when he could've been at a PL club getting PT and ironing out his game?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah. You're either an AM or a DM in that system and he is neither, so effectively, there's nowhere for him to play.

Piecing it together, Hannibal was tasked with playing AM during preseason and the collective disappointment in that was it didn't give him a chance to exhibit his skills that are nearly all CM-related. In hindsight, it looks like that was the test run for the season proper to see if he could slot into the planned system up top.

If there was so little intention of actually playing a functional midfield, why even bother keep him here for the season when he could've been at a PL club getting PT and ironing out his game?
Clearly ETH isn't great at player development. More an accidental developer of players

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Because he's a cheap running body and his value will not drop significantly in a season. Although tbh I was a bit surprised he wasn't sold in the summer, as I mentioned before I never had a feeling he's particularly rated at United. And I understand why that is the case.
I hope we can sell him for some decent money though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Clearly ETH isn't great at player development. More an accidental developer of players
It might be true but the baseline is current United is not a club that provides a good platform for young players to grow. This is far more important than just being a coach that knows how to develop players IMO.
I think there is a valid criticism towards Ten Hag that he doesn't seem to be a big fan of playing youth, but it's also not like we have a lot of prospects waiting on the sidelines so I wouldn't hold that against him. Seems pretty eager to play Mainoo and Garnacho, and I don't know who else is really there?

Gordon Godot

Which young player should have started ahead of Martial? When did we last “bring on Donny”?!?
So you think starting Martial in any game is sensible. Play without a recognised CF, start with two wide players and McT and bruno making runs. Its worth trying anything at this stage. You know, see a manager use his tactical brain, which supposedly he has. Not sure when Donny last come on to be fair, but he shouldn't be on the bench.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So you think starting Martial in any game is sensible. Play without a recognised CF, start with two wide players and McT and bruno making runs. Its worth trying anything at this stage. You know, see a manager use his tactical brain, which supposedly he has. Not sure when Donny last come on to be fair, but he shouldn't be on the bench.
You didn’t answer my first question.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think it's an interesting discussion but who are the youth? I am not an expert, but seems like Mainoo and Garnacho are first tier, then we have Hannibal and Pellistri (both will be gone this summer IMO), and then probably Gore and Fernandes in tier 3. Fernandes is on loan, Gore is in difficult situation because we play single CM so it's a different issue. Maybe you could make a case for bringing in a CB from youth instead of Evans but I have no idea if there is any candidate.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Isn't that what McTominay does, B2B?
He generally appears in defence, midfield and certainly in the opponents box, so I would class that as B2B.
I believe Hannibal is a much better prospect in that role than McTominay, apart from the goal threat, but I certainly think that Hannibal has better vision, passing ability and awareness on the pitch. I would like to see Hannibal given a number of games to get himself established in that midfield, I think he would dovetail nicely with Mainoo.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Isn't that what McTominay does, B2B?
He generally appears in defence, midfield and certainly in the opponents box, so I would class that as B2B.

I believe Hannibal is a much better prospect in that role than McTominay, apart from the goal threat, but I certainly think that Hannibal has better vision, passing ability and awareness on the pitch. I would like to see Hannibal given a number of games to get himself established in that midfield, I think he would dovetail nicely with Mainoo.
Well, not under Ten Hag this season.
McTominay is just another attacker, no more of a midfielder than Bruno. They both take advanced positions in the buildup, and their defensive game boils down to chasing runners.
Fred was more of B2B player, he used to drop deep in the buildup and move up to more advanced positions but his starting / average position was closer to DM or in general center area. It's clearly not what the manager values in his midfielders (Mount is also not playing this role, despite having a good skillset for it).

Hannibal is probably better on the ball than McTominay but this isn't why Scott is in (apparently) first name on the team sheet now.