g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SAFMUTD

I hope he gets a loan where he gets regular minutes.. Hopefully a PL club.. or maybe a different league.

He wont get enough meaningful minutes here this season.. He needs to nail down a position and play regularly.. He has a lot going for him...
He wasn't even a starter in the championship, I doubt he'll attract interest from EPL teams.

I don't think he'll make it here, I know he's still young but very few players do and most of the time by the time they're 20 they're getting minutes at first team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
At Birmingham the play style was direct and transition heavy which meant the midfield was regularly bypassed. So if one was under the impression about Chong looking better, then that's understandable in a team that played to Chong's strengths where his pace in transition was far more valuable to a Birmingham team bypassing the midfield completely. And when you play like that, it will have a detrimental effect on keeping the ball hence Birmingham along with Blackpool were the worst teams in the league at keeping possession. In a setup that looks to exert control from the back and into midfield, Hannibal is a far superior player to Chong imo.

I also don't think it's a case of ten Hag not fancying Hannibal but rather it's due to the competition for places in one of those interior midfield roles where he's competing for a place with Bruno, Mount and Eriksen. And it was sensible to give Hannibal the full 90 minutes against Wrexham than to have him sat on the bench against Real Madrid.

If I was to choose a loan for him, i'd send him to Arne Slot's Feyenoord if possible. Slot is a JDP coach who places emphasis on vertical plays in a high defensive line. They're also in the.UCL and have sold Orkun Kokcu to Benfica.

Velvet Revolver

We are, just not the ones you want?

Garnacho last season, Mainoo seemingly this season and we're yet to see but maybe Amad too.

If he had done better on loan like Amad or Garner he might have had more chances.
I partly agree with your sentiment. Its usually easier ( relatively) for an attacking player to shine better than a midfielder. Thee players you have listed are all good players and i am excited to see them do well.

My point was maybe we should invest in young players a little more and be a lot more patient. These kids couldnt have done worse then mct and fred

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I partly agree with your sentiment. Its usually easier ( relatively) for an attacking player to shine better than a midfielder. Thee players you have listed are all good players and i am excited to see them do well.

My point was maybe we should invest in young players a little more and be a lot more patient. These kids couldnt have done worse then mct and fred
I don't rate either one but this is hogwash. Some people really underestimate the level required to play for United.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Am not saying all kids in our academy are ready to step in. My point is we need to be developing these kids to be able to make that step in.
We are. Our academy does an excellent job of developing and preparing players for PL football. The reality is that the bar making it at United is really, really, really, really high. That's not a shortcoming of the academy system, that's just the reality of being a side that expects to be at the top end of the table every season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s been very unfortunate with us. Timing, sliding doors situations can alter the direction of a young player. He came here for big money as a top talent and after settling - he was clearly the best player in the academy and won the player of the year award to back it up. Those who are simplifying it as ‘he’s clearly just not good enough’ are incorrect IMO, or certainly premature. At the time he had basically completed academy football for us, there was no sensible transition available to the first team. We were in such an awful state. I think his debut came away at Wolves on the final day two seasons ago and even in his 10 minutes - he was class.

After that, I think he was on international duty or injured during pre season, and then came a terrible season where Ole was sacked, and Rangnick came in and had him on the bench every week for months but the first team was so rubbish that we never found ourselves with a lead and he never got on. There was a moment where we had some injuries but he was again away with Tunisia.

For a player who had just won academy player of the year, he was clearly in the thinking of both Ole and Rangnick, but never got a chance and the first team was completely broken under Ralf. Ten Hag came in and played him as a striker all of last summer, behind Iqbal and Savage in midfield, players Hannibal had always been ahead of, and then he went to Birmingham City, which I doubt anyone would have thought was a good idea at the time.

I’d have loved to have at least just had a look in central midfield, in a good Manchester United team, for just a few games. For one reason or another, we’ve never really got to have a look, and given the promise he showed in the reserves, and the fact he was always earmarked as a huge talent - I would have thought that he’d at least get that before he leaves United. With some players, a two year drift or break in momentum is not recoverable, and I hope he gets to be the best version of himself that he can be, as I think that

DevTheRed

Can only think it’s an attitude thing with him as to why he isn’t getting more chances with the first team.. the talent is certainly there. A loan to somewhere like Burnley or a top championship side would perfect for him this season.. maybe Sunderland? Worked well for Amad.

Ekeke

We havent had much success or even too many attempts at bringing through a CM in recent times. McTom is the only one and he got in there after playing as a forward and due to his physique. He's not the type of midfielder we need to move the team forward and the ones who are more that type, we didnt push into the team and they're now playing elsewhere.

I think its possible those players could do worse than McTom and Fred, but those two certainly didnt set a high bar that was too high to reach for some of those young players. But for whatever reason they obviously didnt impress our managers when they trained with the first team and competed for those squad positions. That can be the only reason we barely saw any of them get a chance.

jeepers

Only EtH would know, but could he have played Hannibal in the false 9 position because he is aware that Hannibal is technically adept and would be able to fill in at multiple positions whilst Iqbal/Savage are more limited in the roles they can take up? Or is that too naive of me? I reckon if EtH was sure about Hannibal he would have already sold him like Iqbal and Savage.

dutchred

I think a loan to Sunderland would be great. ETH will be bedding in Kobbie this season so he will either keep Hannibal (as he did last year with Kobbie) or loan him out. I think Hannibal and Gore are fighting for 1 place at United

VictoriaRed

He was terrific last night. He will make it here. As for his attitude, he ran miles yesterday and played hard until the end. A level above Wrexham for sure.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s been very unfortunate with us. Timing, sliding doors situations can alter the direction of a young player. He came here for big money as a top talent and after settling - he was clearly the best player in the academy and won the player of the year award to back it up. Those who are simplifying it as ‘he’s clearly just not good enough’ are incorrect IMO, or certainly premature. At the time he had basically completed academy football for us, there was no sensible transition available to the first team. We were in such an awful state. I think his debut came away at Wolves on the final day two seasons ago and even in his 10 minutes - he was class.

After that, I think he was on international duty or injured during pre season, and then came a terrible season where Ole was sacked, and Rangnick came in and had him on the bench every week for months but the first team was so rubbish that we never found ourselves with a lead and he never got on. There was a moment where we had some injuries but he was again away with Tunisia.

For a player who had just won academy player of the year, he was clearly in the thinking of both Ole and Rangnick, but never got a chance and the first team was completely broken under Ralf. Ten Hag came in and played him as a striker all of last summer, behind Iqbal and Savage in midfield, players Hannibal had always been ahead of, and then he went to Birmingham City, which I doubt anyone would have thought was a good idea at the time.

I’d have loved to have at least just had a look in central midfield, in a good Manchester United team, for just a few games. For one reason or another, we’ve never really got to have a look, and given the promise he showed in the reserves, and the fact he was always earmarked as a huge talent - I would have thought that he’d at least get that before he leaves United. With some players, a two year drift or break in momentum is not recoverable, and I hope he gets to be the best version of himself that he can be, as I think that
The Birmingham City loan is what fecked it I think. He needed to go to a more technical team, maybe not even in the Championship at all as it's not like he needed to learn how to deal with physical battles and grafting (he never had an issue with either).

Hopefully we can send him off somewhere to really give him a shot of showing what he did a few years ago. He won't (and shouldn't at this point) be getting looks in our own midfield this season, but going somewhere that plays an attacking/technical style would be a nice litmus test.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Hopefully we are patient with him ( and he is also). This year he needs a loan with technical team and show if he can play at top level regularly.

Remember the geese

I think a loan to Sunderland would be great. ETH will be bedding in Kobbie this season so he will either keep Hannibal (as he did last year with Kobbie) or loan him out. I think Hannibal and Gore are fighting for 1 place at United
Good player Gore. I'd take Hannibal anyday though.

Velvet Revolver

We are. Our academy does an excellent job of developing and preparing players for PL football. The reality is that the bar making it at United is really, really, really, really high. That's not a shortcoming of the academy system, that's just the reality of being a side that expects to be at the top end of the table every season.
I disagree, the likes of chelsea, liverpool and even city to a certain extent have very good academy players. They cant get a game in the first 11 because the starting 11 for these teams ( excluding Chelsea's current situation) is great. We make some good talent in attack but midfield, defense is lacking. And it's not like these players are moving on an making great careers elsewhere in their 20's.

Velvet Revolver

He is first team ready, just not United first team ready. And very few will be
Which youngster in the recent past have we 'bought' who is first team ready? we spent 50 odd million on Amad and Pellisteri. It makes financial sense too to invest in youth and have them make the step up. surely out of 20-30 players we have we can develop 4-5 players. we haven't done that in a looong time.

In Rainbows

Excellent. Including the music.
Sometimes I put that because I know others won't like it.

I would really like to see Hannibal playing in midfield. Reminds me a bit of the Gomes situation where the two players aren't married to the attacking midfield position, but for some reason people can't see them excelling deeper even though there is plenty evidence that they've done well in that position before. In Hannibal's case more so as he originally started there for Monaco. Some 10s play well as 10s at youth level, but are better suited for the wings, or as wide forwards, or strikers, or midfield. Not all 10s are geared to providing end product just like not all 10s can run a game from deep.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Sometimes I put that because I know others won't like it.

I would really like to see Hannibal playing in midfield. Reminds me a bit of the Gomes situation where the two players aren't married to the attacking midfield position, but for some reason people can't see them excelling deeper even though there is plenty evidence that they've done well in that position before. In Hannibal's case more so as he originally started there for Monaco. Some 10s play well as 10s at youth level, but are better suited for the wings, or as wide forwards, or strikers, or midfield. Not all 10s are geared to providing end product just like not all 10s can run a game from deep.
He reminds me of David Silva. If he can first develop into that sort of player successfully, at some point he'll fill out more than Silva and he'll have a great chance of playmaking from the deeper areas to really control games. However, it all depends on how his attacking numbers develop and what the team needs. I really like this player, he has so much natural talent as a midfielder. You can see something special in him, or at least I do.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I disagree, the likes of chelsea, liverpool and even city to a certain extent have very good academy players. They cant get a game in the first 11 because the starting 11 for these teams ( excluding Chelsea's current situation) is great. We make some good talent in attack but midfield, defense is lacking. And it's not like these players are moving on an making great careers elsewhere in their 20's.

Yes it is. The league is littered with ex United academy graduates doing really well. We’re going to sell two in their twenties to be premier league regulars this season.

Zed is not dead

Yes it is. The league is littered with ex United academy graduates doing really well. We’re going to sell two in their twenties to be premier league regulars this season.
It’s not even littered, United’s academy is and has almost always been the one providing the most players to the PL.

NoPace

He was terrific last night. He will make it here. As for his attitude, he ran miles yesterday and played hard until the end. A level above Wrexham for sure.
His running is really something. If there’s a Bielsa style coach out there looking for a midfielder on loan that would maybe be ideal.

jesperjaap

I agree with the vast majority of this post, good on you for not following the general mentality. I feel a lot is being made of an unseuccessful loan and on preseason decisions so far.

On the flip side, I do have a feeling he may be loaned or even sold within the nexr season and personally, think it is th ewrong decision.

Amad was poor at Rangers and now had a good loan, people are really expecting him to break through....Antony, Sanncho and Pellestri all vying for the same position, it isnt an easy path.

As for the path for Hannibal.....if McFred and VDB go....yes there is still Mount, Fernandes, Eriksen, Casemeiro, Mainoo and maybe even a new signing so possibly two for each position ahead of him.

Personally I dont think we need another signing, I really believe e have a Casemeiro deputy already in Mainoo who even at his tender age can play 15games or so a season, maybe some of them from the bench...breaking thorugh like Garnacho. On the opposite end of the scale, I sadly also thik Eriksen is almost as good as done.

Hannobal runs all day, is touch is absolutely fantastic as well. He is only 20, people are talkign as if he is a Lindgard been here a decade and never made it properly. I think there is a lot of work to do with him, but harnessed correctly,...."isnt first team ready"....does he need to be? He has enogh talent and enough energy to be a valuable squad player and maybe make a breakthrough from opportunities...just not sure he get sthem, but all this not good enough, I totally disagree

AndySmith1990

I agree with the vast majority of this post, good on you for not following the general mentality. I feel a lot is being made of an unseuccessful loan and on preseason decisions so far.

On the flip side, I do have a feeling he may be loaned or even sold within the nexr season and personally, think it is th ewrong decision.

Amad was poor at Rangers and now had a good loan, people are really expecting him to break through....Antony, Sanncho and Pellestri all vying for the same position, it isnt an easy path.

As for the path for Hannibal.....if McFred and VDB go....yes there is still Mount, Fernandes, Eriksen, Casemeiro, Mainoo and maybe even a new signing so possibly two for each position ahead of him.

Personally I dont think we need another signing, I really believe e have a Casemeiro deputy already in Mainoo who even at his tender age can play 15games or so a season, maybe some of them from the bench...breaking thorugh like Garnacho. On the opposite end of the scale, I sadly also thik Eriksen is almost as good as done.

Hannobal runs all day, is touch is absolutely fantastic as well. He is only 20, people are talkign as if he is a Lindgard been here a decade and never made it properly. I think there is a lot of work to do with him, but harnessed correctly,...."isnt first team ready"....does he need to be? He has enogh talent and enough energy to be a valuable squad player and maybe make a breakthrough from opportunities...just not sure he get sthem, but all this not good enough, I totally disagree
We're Manchester United and our aim is to beat the likes of city and Madrid. So yes, yes he does need to be

foolsgold

Looked great against Wrexham, but let's be clear, Wrexham are a league two team. If he wasn't dominating against them it'd be a very bad sign.

I think he has a future here but he needs to be playing 90 mins every week just now. He needs a loan where he'll play good football, somewhere towards the top half of the Eredivisie is where I'd look to send him.

Davie Moyes

I know it's only Wrexham but how can people watch that clip and not see the talent. If there is one young player that passes the eye test then for me it's this lad.

Red00012

I know it's only Wrexham but how can people watch that clip and not see the talent. If there is one young player that passes the eye test then for me it's this lad.
Raw talent yes… is he ready for the 1st team and play PL / CL games ? Unfortunately not . A loan would be best suited to his career. Kobbie Mainoo has shown himself to be more ready to be around the 1st team in my opinion.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looked great against Wrexham, but let's be clear, Wrexham are a league two team. If he wasn't dominating against them it'd be a very bad sign.

I think he has a future here but he needs to be playing 90 mins every week just now. He needs a loan where he'll play good football, somewhere towards the top half of the Eredivisie is where I'd look to send him.
Bit lazy logic. He's playing in a team of youngsters against a team of grown men. To expect him to dominate is maybe to realise he's already good enough, which most people on here seem to think he is not.

I like Adnan's idea of Arne Slot coaching him for a season if Erik is determined not to include him in the side for the coming season, but I'd rather he go on loan to a mid table Prem team and force his way into the team for next season.

He is definitely good enough.

Glorio

Funny thing is Hannibal wasn't poor at Birmingham - maybe he didn't shine a much as Amad, but he played quite regularly even if for a period he lost his place and regained it. He was their highest assist maker per 90 in a team that regularly by passed the midfield, and was instrumental in carrying the ball and buying fouls.

His touch, dribbling, short and long passing that anyone who watches Hannibal would immediately recognise were all on show in this game. He needs to add calmness and maturity to his game (which is what Mainoo has going for him), but that boy Hannibal is a player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Exactly. there’s absolutely no reason why he should be here when he won’t get to play enough to meaningfully develop. I hope the club show patience with him and he gives us another few years because he looks to have a lot of talent and he was a big deal at youth level but he needs to refine his game. He is looking like he’s currently on course to do a bit of a Periera. As things stand he’s not strong enough at any specific thing to play here regularly. Mainoo looks more unique a prospect and we probably can’t even give him enough minutes once the PL starts again.

jesperjaap

We're Manchester United and our aim is to beat the likes of city and Madrid. So yes, yes he does need to be
Yes and we are currently a long way away from that level, youg player with huge potetial that can grow into the first team over the next season or so can play a huge part in bridging that gap. We are highly unlikely to compete with them next season, a year or two of growth, who knows. Or should we instead buy qualtty, experienced older players that are first team ready then? As we have done a lot of signings of that ilk the lst few seasons, especally up front....and look where we are now in trms of the striking department...it isnt 2010, we ar ein a very different position that e have been in for a good decade now, lets be realistic

jesperjaap

Funny thing is Hannibal wasn't poor at Birmingham - maybe he didn't shine a much as Amad, but he played quite regularly even if for a period he lost his place and regained it. He was their highest assist maker per 90 in a team that regularly by passed the midfield, and was instrumental in carrying the ball and buying fouls.

His touch, dribbling, short and long passing that anyone who watches Hannibal would immediately recognise were all on show in this game. He needs to add calmness and maturity to his game (which is what Mainoo has going for him), but that boy Hannibal is a player.
Well, I only saw him a couple of times during his loa, he as fairly quiet you could still see the quality of his touch though.

I did watch Amad at Sunderland quite a lot and he was actually quiet for long periods of a lot of games I saw. Not sying this as a criticism of him, as he is yound and did well....but get the felling a lot of people just seeing highlight reels and think he was bossing the whole game while there, he wasnt, he was producing big moments at times and showing he has ability, and can produce at times, which is good on a loan.

I really like the passion and aggression in Hannibals game, dont see it so often in really technical players. I do agree he needs to get a bit more maturity and control of it though as it can be a huge positive in his game, but currently its been more a negative element.

I would like to see some younger players getting more opportunities. The last few years we have seen Greenwood and Garnacho showing momets of huge quality. Would have liked to have seen Pellestri get more minutes.

I do think Pellestri, Amad, Hannibal and Mainoo are all very talented young players, not just hyped up youths that get mentioned so often from youth games as everyone wants to see a big young star go through and Hannibal for me is just as good a midfield prospect as Amad is a winger.

No guarantees any make it this seaso if at all. But these arent just preseason talents making a mark for me like we have seen so often, they are all talented technical players with huge individual strengths to there game. I feel for Pellestri as he hasnt had many minutes and I think he goes on loan again, for him individually I almost hope he moves on as I think his career stools otherwise....but Amad, Hannibal and Mainoo I feel all with the right attitude and making the best of opportunities can get double figures of appearances under there belt this season and personally I think that is more beneficial both for them and the club than loan moves

Mr PG

Our fans are either blind to talent or just refuse to see it. He's got a higher ceiling than even Mason Mount. Hannibal with some polishing from ETH is good enough for our first team. Probably our most athletic midfielder at the moment and I'm quite convinced he'll be a starter before too long. He's very skilled and people judging him on the Birmingham loan don't understand it has to do with the system they play.

jesperjaap

Our fans are either blind to talent or just refuse to see it. He's got a higher ceiling than even Mason Mount. Hannibal with some polishing from ETH is good enough for our first team. Probably our most athletic midfielder at the moment and I'm quite convinced he'll be a starter before too long. He's very skilled and people judging him on the Birmingham loan don't understand it has to do with the system they play.
Agree, though dont think he will be a starter, thats a bit ahead of ourselves. I just hope he isnt loaned and isnt wasted liek Pellestri last season. Personalyl think both he and Mainoo could be valuable squad options as deputies to Casemeiro and Mount, they both definately are more suited to the roles than McFred and I feel Eriksen only holds value now as a back up to Ferandes this season, personal opinion is he is virtually done

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe we should loan him for another season? Not sure where would he feature in our first team yet.. he is still only 20 and may need abit more time to develop his game. I think he could become an interesting option as our no.8 in future, as he is clearly still quite young and has many raw talents. There's some good mix of technical and athleticism in his game which I quite like.

city-puma

Agree, though dont think he will be a starter, thats a bit ahead of ourselves. I just hope he isnt loaned and isnt wasted liek Pellestri last season. Personalyl think both he and Mainoo could be valuable squad options as deputies to Casemeiro and Mount, they both definately are more suited to the roles than McFred and I feel Eriksen only holds value now as a back up to Ferandes this season, personal opinion is he is virtually done
It seems more and more likely he will have another loan the coming season.

Howl

I'm not sure how you can make that determination. Mount was starting for Chelsea at 20. It seems like Hannibal will get another year on loan. Mainoo seems closer to the first team than Hannibal does at this point.