Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
"My boy"?

So, you aren't a United fan?

Both are "My boys", for your information. We aren't all in separate camps of supporting certain players over others.

Whomever wears the Manchester shirt, I'll give my unwavering support.

But you continue with the mob mentality. Have at it.
You literally came into a thread for someone making one of their first starts and negatively compared them to Scott McTominay, who seems to be the only person you want to post about. "Unwavering", sure.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
More than weeks mate, but you have to try and say what you see, otherwise people won’t respect what you have to say on other players/topics. He did a lot well, but I think in key moments the pass wasn’t right. It’s not terminal, and I think if he ever gets a real chance in what I think is his best role - he can be one of the PL’s best few midfielders. But you didn’t see all that from him last night.
Was only half serious mate, I really rate the lad myself. Personally was very happy with his performance but yeah, I get your points, they’re fair enough. Thing I’m most glad about is that ten Hag trusted him in a very important game, really respect that.

Crazy engine and passion, and with that, from the 65 minute onwards, showed immense quality on the ball with lovely passes and touches.

Not to compare as he’s been at the club longer, but better than Mounts appearances so far. Should be in and around the team moving forward. This is the player who was taking the piss in the U23s.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Better fit for us than Mount?

I always hope he would make it here one day, so much a technical player with aggression and passion in his play, I just like this type of player. Glad ETH finally trusting him and he took his chance well. Hope to see him more in action this season.

Mainoo Meijbri
Hansen-Aaroen​

My dream United midfield in future.

OldTrevil

Man of the match performance. He gave the rest of our attacking mids, Bruno included, a lesson in how to play the 10 position with discipline without compromising the attacking output. He was the main reason we were able to stay compact, even with McT's calamitous play behind him.

ArmaDino

I love how a kid who came after 1 season long loan in the championship is showing up our supposed leaders and experienced first teamers on how to play in their respective positions by not matching them only ability wise, but also showing an immense attitude worthy of a Man Utd player.

The kid has the heart and the right attitude to make it here. Plus he actually has the ability to back it up as well. If our first teamers are going to down tools and jog instead of showing a bit of urgency, then our starting XI might look something like this by the end of the season.

Onana
AWB-Varane-Marinez-Shaw
Mainoo-Casemiro
Amad-Mejbri-Garnacho
Hojlund

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but so far I'm liking how our academy lads have presented themselves. Even Pellistri despite not having the ability has clearly shown that has the attitude.

As far as Mejbri goes he should definitely take Scotts minutes from now on.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A little sloppy, but overall a good full debut. Just shows that there is talent in the academy that needs to be trusted more.
This. My big gripe with ETH is that he has not taken the chance/risk to develop academy players. There is more to come for Hannibal. He is creative with his final passes.

If his potential is maxed out he will be a Bruno/Mount combo.

Hopefully, ETH will develop some even bigger balls and develop Amad which I think will develop well with Amad from the glimpses seen at the Academy. They seem to understand each other well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This. My big gripe with ETH is that he has not taken the chance/risk to develop academy players. There is more to come for Hannibal. He is creative with his final passes.

Hopefully, ETH will develop some even bigger balls and develop Amad which I think will develop well with Amad from the glimpses seen at the Academy. They seem to understand each other well.
I agree with your overall point, I don’t think there’s a player in every position we can promote but players like Hannibal were obvious promotions we should’ve made ages ago. He’s got a reputation due to his temperament but Hannibal’s been the best player in the academy for 2 years and the best academy player since Greenwood, we should’ve taken a gamble on him sooner.

Amad is another ridiculously talented one who deserves a shot the second he’s fit, the 2 U23 games he played he was so clearly the best player on the pitch it was almost comical.

ArmaDino

I understand that feeling, but truth be told we as fans tend to overate our own players from the reserves/academy. Peliistri is a prime example.

It's easy to thing that ETH doesn't trust the youth, but is that really the case?

Garnacho became part of the first XI squad last year after being promoted from the academy.

Amad was deemed not ready, was sent on loan and was ready to be integrated into the first XI squad until his injury.

Mainoo was promoted ahead the likes of Iqbal and Savage. If it weren't for his injury, we'd probably be seeing him in our matchday squad right now.

Hannibal was offered a chance to impress against Brighton and he did. Now he was rewarded with a start against Burnley, and he impressed again.

Am I missing anyone? So far we have Garnacho and Hannibal who feature in the first XI, and once they get back from injury I imagine Mainoo and Amad will play a more prominent role as well. Peliistri sadly isn't good enough from what I've seen, but he might do an Evra and prove me wrong.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure we can blame ten Hag for not giving youth a chance. Thus far he's promoted Garnacho, Mainoo, Hannibal and also has had Dan Gore in the first team squad and he only joined the club last year.

Lj82

Understand the desire to see him play as an eight, but it is probably easier to integrate him into the team further to top now, especially when teams keep pressing us and a mistake leading to a goal of he plays deeper would not help his confidence. Longer term, definitely see him as an 8

Zlaatan

Parody Account
He had his ups and downs in the game which you'd expect given it's his first start, but what I loved the most about his performance is that he really gave his all from the first minute to the last. That fight and energy combined with his quality on the ball at such an early age is a really exciting combo and hopefully ETH thinks so as well and gives him the playing time he deserves.

shayanr

Agreed.

There were a few moments where he played the ball forward from deeper which were lovely passes, but other times he received the ball on the turn higher up and didn't utilise it well.

Hannibal's energy and physicality will still be valuable deeper on the pitch, but his vision and passing would be welcome upgrades on McTominay (who was abysmal in the first half).
thats the reason why he’s better as an 8. He makes better decisions in a deeper role. With that said i think that was a solid 8/10 game from him. Could’ve done more off the ball but on the ball, he was almost flawless. Quick thinking and got out of some tight situations well and knows exactly when to release the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Understand the desire to see him play as an eight, but it is probably easier to integrate him into the team further to top now, especially when teams keep pressing us and a mistake leading to a goal of he plays deeper would not help his confidence. Longer term, definitely see him as an 8
Agreed. We need him higher up the pitch as things stand due to his out of possession game.

And like you say it's about getting minutes and developing his game further. Frenkie de Jong only became a regular in the Dutch league at the age of 20. Before that he wasn't even considered a regular starter. Modric was another player who was utilised higher up the pitch in his formative years when he spent time on loan in Bosnia and then in Croatia before returning to his parent club Dinamo Zagreb.

Smores

Didn't watch that much of his loan but today he brought his qualities that you could see in the reserves to the senior game.

It's probably only really impressive due to some of our seniors not doing the basics but having your head up, being aware of the play, and adjusting constantly is refreshing to see.

The Red Thinker

Hannibal is playing he fecking cares about the shirt! Some are burdened by past failures. Attitude is a serious problem in our squad. The faster Mount and Amrabat get fit, the better we will be.

Son

A YouTuber called Rants was absolutely slaughtering this kid saying he’s a horrible footballer.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who was impressed with him last night looking on here.

Mercurial

A YouTuber called Rants was absolutely slaughtering this kid saying he’s a horrible footballer.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who was impressed with him last night looking on here.
He is quickly getting a fan favourite.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Thought he was MOTM all things considered. Did his job well. Some moments of quality and enough energy to combat Burnley. Certainly more of a prospect than McT ever was

Tarrou

loads of heart and effort, we'll soon drum that out of him :lol:

seriously though I'm happy he's got his foot in the door and he looks promising

we need players like him pushing the likes of McTominay down the pecking order

and I really like Scott, but he should be plying his trade at a more suitable club

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
About time he got a shot, even if the circumstances that lead to it weren't great. I don't think he's a 10 and I don't think he's a world beater, but I like what he brings to the team.

No reason why he should start in it cup on Tuesday.

manhood

Shown in one game more effort and drive than other people have done in seasons.

RPT_Reddevil

He is just so natural on the ball. Technical ability is top notch. Expecting for more and more minutes under his belt.

Highfather_24

Played the #10 role like Mason Mount would if he was in form. Wasnt too involved on the ball, but exemplary off it. Kept it tidy, and produced some good passes. Defensively solid too. Excellent for his first start, and hope he can kick on. Definitely proved me wrong, because I thought ETH wouldnt give him any chances, but he got his chance and took it so so well.

Rashford/Garnacho------Mount/Mjebri-------Bruno/Pellistri
--------------------Amrabat/Eriksen----Casemiro/Mainoo

I wouldnt have McT or VdB in there. Bruno might be used more as a RW now that Antony is out, and Sancho is also a question mark.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

I dont think ETH trusts him as a deeper lying midfielder yet, and I think his skillset is most suited to the high pressing #10 role. I dont think he's someone who dictates the tempo of the game, so this role suits him.

Ace of Spades

He can play deeper, so is a versatile player.

Should hopefully get more minutes, and the likes of McT, Erickson and VDB are not chosen over him.

vanderpants

He's still sat with the u21s on a daily basis in the u21s dressing room at Carrington, I would have shifted DVB out of the first team and moved Mejbri, I'm chuffed that he has finally cracked the first team squad

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I dont think ETH trusts him as a deeper lying midfielder yet, and I think his skillset is most suited to the high pressing #10 role. I dont think he's someone who dictates the tempo of the game, so this role suits him.
I was most pleased about his discipline. No running battles or silly challenges. Really composed and professional performance. Great to see.

Mainoldo

He’s lost is marbles lately. More interesting on being personally right than seeing the same for how it is. If Donny Van Der Beek had the same game. He’d say the manager is a clown for not playing it more.

philippexyz

If not for Bruno's amazing goal, I would've had Hannibal as the Man Of The Match. He was by far the most technically gifted midfielder in our team yesterday, the most comfortable one with the ball at his feet, and we desperately need this kind of players(infamous press resistance and Frenkie de Jong saga). No "Hot potato midfielders" like Bruno, Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen who lump/release the ball somewhere as soon as they receive it. Hannibal to me looks like he could be an 8(box to box), better version of Fred - energetic midfielder, but with actual technical ability/skill. And he had one beautiful pass to Rashford on the counter towards the end where Rashy had 1v1 vs a defender which he couldn't capitalize on, which might suggest that there is some decent creativity in Hannibal as well. There's still room for improvement, of course, he's only 20. Hannibal also looked completely unfazed by the occasion(starting for Man United in an away PL game for the first time).

One thing which I'll say and it will be viewed as pretty controversial. I wouldn't mind seeing a "younger", more energetic version of our midfield this season, at the very least occasionally. Something like Amrabat - Mainoo - Hannibal or Amrabat - Hannibal - Mount, for example. I was sick of watching our midfield's performance against Bayern, and this whole season, in general. Phase out slowly players like Eriksen(no legs and physicality), McTominay(no quality, whatsoever, basically), Casemiro(legs probably gone because of age, not enough technical ability on the ball - easily pressed, even though I personally really like Case), Bruno(erratic, poor ball retention, no calmness, press resistance...).

In conclusion, our midfield needs almost total revamp, and Hannibal could be potentially one of the pieces of it(Mainoo, as well), at least as a squad player. We need more youth, energy, calmness on the ball, press resistance in our midfield. I think we can all agree on that. Hot potato midfield that we currently have(game against Bayern a perfect example) is leading us nowhere, long term. Sorry, Bruno fans/cult...

Strelok

If not for Bruno's amazing goal, I would've had Hannibal as the Man Of The Match. He was by far the most technically gifted midfielder in our team yesterday, the most comfortable one with the ball at his feet, and we desperately need this kind of players(infamous press resistance and Frenkie de Jong saga). No "Hot potato midfielders" like Bruno, Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen who lump/release the ball somewhere as soon as they receive it. Hannibal to me looks like he could be an 8(box to box), better version of Fred - energetic midfielder, but with actual technical ability/skill. And he had one beautiful pass to Rashford on the counter towards the end where Rashy had 1v1 vs a defender which he couldn't capitalize on, which might suggest that there is some decent creativity in Hannibal as well. There's still room for improvement, of course, he's only 20. Hannibal also looked completely unfazed by the occasion(starting for Man United in an away PL game for the first time).

One thing which I'll say and it will be viewed as pretty controversial. I wouldn't mind seeing a "younger", more energetic version of our midfield this season, at the very least occasionally. Something like Amrabat - Mainoo - Hannibal or Amrabat - Hannibal - Mount, for example. I was sick of watching our midfield's performance against Bayern, and this whole season, in general. Phase out slowly players like Eriksen(no legs and physicality), McTominay(no quality, whatsoever, basically), Casemiro(legs probably gone because of age, not enough technical ability on the ball - easily pressed, even though I personally really like Case), Bruno(erratic, poor ball retention, no calmness, press resistance...).

In conclusion, our midfield needs almost total revamp, and Hannibal could be potentially one of the pieces of it(Mainoo, as well), at least as a squad player. We need more youth, energy, calmness on the ball, press resistance in our midfield. I think we can all agree on that. Hot potato midfield that we currently have(game against Bayern a perfect example) is leading us nowhere, long term. Sorry, Bruno fans/cult...
If you have a look at my posting history you'd see I'm quite a fan of Mejbri. In fact imo he's probably the only of our youngsters who might make it here.

However one decent game and saying he should be the core of our midfield for the future is simply insane. Replacing Bruno/Casemiro with Amrabat/Mount/Mainoo is even crazier. We haven't seen a fecking thing with Amrabat/Mainoo yet to even start thinking about that.

Mejbri had a decent/good game yesterday but imo he still lacks a bit of finesse and his decision making still needs to be much better especially in the most critical moments in order to be a starter. But surely ETH should play him more instead of McT and probably even Eriksen. McT is crap and he doesn't even care. Eriksen is still class but he could not run back and forth for more than 45' anymore. Would be really nice to see if Mejbri would make a challenge for a starting slot against Mount. We have a lot of games so might find a place for both though.

AneRu

Not everything came off but a decent game for someone being thrown in such a dysfunctional side.

If ETH really commented that Hannibal played a perfect game then I do worry long term tactically both for the player and the team. It means he's insisting on Casemiro as a single pivot and two midfielders ahead. Hannibal was in really advanced positions, high up in the field and it was okay against Burnley but we ceded too much possession and territory. It's not gonna work against better teams with more attacking prowess. We really need someone to sit deeper and take the ball. The answer is certainly not McTominay.
I think this is the way Erik wants to go but the biggest issue is that the technical and physical level of our biggest stars is so low such that everything breaks like a deck of cards. We can only keep the ball in deep areas, can't circulate it in the middle or up front and most of the times we have two players in the five uptop that aren't really committed to the press.

When confidence and form picks up I think it will work particularly if Martiznez and Casemiro return to the levels they showed last season. I don't know if this formation or any will ever work with Bruno central to it. Great as he is I think he just lacks the emotional balance to be a true conductor as he is wired to look for the final ball each time which becomes a bit predictable.

flappyjay

I liked the energy Hannibal brought. I think he did a better job of what Mason Mount was supposed to do than Mount did himself in the early games. Decent game for a first competitive start.
To be fair Mount was playing a deeper position.

AneRu

Agreed. We need him higher up the pitch as things stand due to his out of possession game.

And like you say it's about getting minutes and developing his game further. Frenkie de Jong only became a regular in the Dutch league at the age of 20. Before that he wasn't even considered a regular starter. Modric was another player who was utilised higher up the pitch in his formative years when he spent time on loan in Bosnia and then in Croatia before returning to his parent club Dinamo Zagreb.
True, central midfield is the hardest position to play on the pitch and it will be suicidal to throw him at the deep end in a team lacking confidence and under severe pressure. Let him earn the manager's trust playing where he is right now and drag him back to a deeper role after he has established himself as a first team player.

flappyjay

Won't be a 10 long-term, no chance. Maybe at youth level he could play as more of an attacker but at the top level I don't think he will be that productive, at Man United as a 10 you have people complaining about Bruno even though he puts in ridiculous numbers, work-rate and creation. That's the kind of bar for attacking players - it's pretty high. Maybe Hannibal will improve that side but personally I don't think it has been there at club or international level to date to think he can be a 10 at this level.

Most of what we're seeing that is good is energy, combative, physically looking really strong now - doesn't look like a young player anymore in his body. He's a deeper midfield player, probably an 8 because there's more freedom.
I think someone has already said it, but he seems more like he will develop into a similar 8 to fred playstyle wise but with better technique if things work out properly.

Kostov

That outside of the foot pass he made with so much ease?!? Absolute beauty and a demonstration of talent that some of our senior midfielder can only dream off. Credit to ETH for giving him a chance.