View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's clearly not that talented of a player, but he works hard and has a lot of passion. Passion and desire to play for the shirt is what we need in the short term, in the long term he's a squad player.
Not even remotely true.

eire-red

I didn't see the game last night but saw some highlights of Hannibal and he looks like he could be that dynamic, ball playing midfielder that can carry the ball from deep.

I think him and Mainoo could have very good careers here, they're both definitely talented enough. For Hannibal, I think it's making sure he has that discipline and maturity in his game because he looks insanely talented.

OrcaFat

He does the basics well, he doesn't really excel at anything. I'm not saying he's a passion merchant but if he didn't have it he wouldn't have been in the starting 11 today let's be real. Ten Hag is looking for players to run and play for the badge.
He’s far better than that.

He has genuine all round talent. He plays with his head up, he sees runs and hits progressive passes. He’s got good positional sense and he shows for the ball in CM and so many times yesterday he was providing a good passing option in the attacking third. He has good control, good pace, can dribble, spots danger and tracks back, can tackle and has a great engine. At times he looks a little raw but the only thing he lacks is experience, imo.

But you are right: passion to play for the badge is a basic requirement which all the players must have and kids can’t hope to get picked if they don’t have that.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I thought he was really promising yesterday. Granted pass it to Rashie in space isn't that sophisticated but he did it well.

I've watched him quite a bit over the years, internationally too. He's a good player but he's not special and there is nothing wrong with that. He's a good player to have in the squad because he can play a role and he'll give 100%.
How can you watch him over the years in the reserves and say he’s nothing special! He was the best player in the U23s.

OrcaFat

How can you watch him over the years in the reserves and say he’s nothing special! He was the best player in the U23s.
It’s strange to me, some of the negative comments about him, I don’t know what game these people are watching. Some people just don’t rate him. Possibly they expect the finished article but if they can’t see the talent there I’m at a loss.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Watched mainly the second half yesterday - best I’ve seen him play for the first team. Bags of energy.

city-puma

I didn't see the game last night but saw some highlights of Hannibal and he looks like he could be that dynamic, ball playing midfielder that can carry the ball from deep.

I think him and Mainoo could have very good careers here, they're both definitely talented enough. For Hannibal, I think it's making sure he has that discipline and maturity in his game because he looks insanely talented.
As shown in the Burnley game, he was superb deciplined, even though we all know he is the kind of player always want to have ball and involved with ball play. He did majority of playing yesterday off ball, and did the work really well.

fps

I hate the way our young players are built up insanely and then just aren’t at the level we need. However, he looked comfortable at that level yesterday and created sensible constructive midfield passages. I thought he looked very promising.

flameinthesun

He’s far better than that.

He has genuine all round talent. He plays with his head up, he sees runs and hits progressive passes. He’s got good positional sense and he shows for the ball in CM and so many times yesterday he was providing a good passing option in the attacking third. He has good control, good pace, can dribble, spots danger and tracks back, can tackle and has a great engine. At times he looks a little raw but the only thing he lacks is experience, imo.

But you are right: passion to play for the badge is a basic requirement which all the players must have and kids can’t hope to get picked if they don’t have that.
Not saying this isn't true but a lot of players show talent in the youth teams and reserves and then when it comes to men's football they struggle to show it. He had a good loan last year, albeit not a stand out one and it does seem he is struggling to produce his more creative and flashy side in the men's game. I'm not sure he was ever that prodigious creative talent even in the youth teams so it makes sense that that comes through even less in the men's games. I'll be honest and say I'm not sure that he is that talented enough to make it at united (hopefully ill be proved wrong) and whilst his industry is good to see, we've been here before with industrious youth prospects who lack the overall talent. However its early days so maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Don't Kill Bill

I think what yesterdays performance proves is that there isn't a very big risk in playing talented youngsters like Hannibal. If our first team players are underperforming or are just not good enough.

This is his first full game, he is going to grow into a great player for us.

He needs game time to show all he has got and develop.

We have at least another two players lake this in Kobbie Mainoo and Amad.

In Rainbows

Not saying this isn't true but a lot of players show talent in the youth teams and reserves and then when it comes to men's football they struggle to show it. He had a good loan last year, albeit not a stand out one and it does seem he is struggling to produce his more creative and flashy side in the men's game. I'm not sure he was ever that prodigious creative talent even in the youth teams so it makes sense that that comes through even less in the men's games. I'll be honest and say I'm not sure that he is that talented enough to make it at united (hopefully ill be proved wrong) and whilst his industry is good to see, we've been here before with industrious youth prospects who lack the overall talent. However its early days so maybe I'll be proved wrong.
Yeah, but it's important to remember that many youth watchers think a positive contributor in the youth ranks, is an exciting prospect. On the other hand, it's different with the actual best players of the youth team. Whenever I talk about youth talents, I always make the distinction because as your correctly stated, many youth players struggle to show it in men's football. It's not good enough that they are merely good in the youth ranks, you really need to be the best of your group to have a chance. Not a guarantee, but to have a chance. I think many posters on our forums and on social media make that mistake. Sometimes, there is just a really talented crop so instead of just the best player I'm willing to prop up the 2nd or 3rd best players too, as long as a comparison is made to past best talents.

Our former best players are Ravel, Pogba (2nd best talent), Januzaj, Wilson, Rashford, Gribbin, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, etc... That's not a bad list of players to being able to make a positive contribution in men's football. Out of that list, only Ravel, Wilson, and Gribbin failed to make the step up. The other players have been able to prove they can play in a top 5 league and in Garner's case, still an ongoing journey.

Hannibal was always a top talent, hence why we paid 10m for him at age 16. He doesn't lack technical ability. As he comes to terms with the quickness of top flight football, he will start to show more of his talent. This isn't a McTominay situation where there is nothing at the bottom of the well. The biggest deterrent for Hannibal will be coming to grips with the quickness, something most young players have a hard time dealing with initially.

jesperjaap

He's clearly not that talented of a player, but he works hard and has a lot of passion. Passion and desire to play for the shirt is what we need in the short term, in the long term he's a squad player.
Strange take considering he excelled in youth levels and is only 20years old, especially coming from a fan that has had to endure McFred and others in our midfield for a period of time who have barely been able to keep the ball or play simple passes consistently under any pressure.

He has a good first touch, balance, weight of pass, techniqe on top of the passion and desire......doesnt mean he goes on to make it here of course, but he is defiantely deserving of opportunities and he did well overall yesterday.

What exactly are you lookig for from a 20year old midfielder as bar the discipline and often being overly passioate in his running rather than being postitional he seems to have all the tools to me talent wise to become a proper player?

Jeffthered

I only saw the brief highlights on MOTD this morning, and he looked lively, bringing something different to the midfield. Hopefully he can keep his place in the team, he deserves it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not sure using a player whose had a loan does much for your argument there.

But in anycase thought he was very good tonight for a debut. His biggest asset at this age is his confidence. Not fazed at all.
My point is more towards many who seem to want every youngster to have 2/3 loans gradually making steps up before being given a run in the first team. Every case is different, but in general I think that's a stupid practice when our first team squad lacks many of the attributes some of these young players might bring. I had the same argument with everyone that thought Amad needed another loan before the season (granted his chance has been derailed by the rough injury he had in preseason).

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Showed the right attitude and work rate - things sorely missing with some of our players. Would definitely be happy with him getting more starts.

flameinthesun

Yeah, but it's important to remember that many youth watchers think a positive contributor in the youth ranks, is an exciting prospect. On the other hand, it's different with the actual best players of the youth team. Whenever I talk about youth talents, I always make the distinction because as your correctly stated, many youth players struggle to show it in men's football. It's not good enough that they are merely good in the youth ranks, you really need to be the best of your group to have a chance. Not a guarantee, but to have a chance. I think many posters on our forums and on social media make that mistake. Sometimes, there is just a really talented crop so instead of just the best player I'm willing to prop up the 2nd or 3rd best players too, as long as a comparison is made to past best talents.

Our former best players are Ravel, Pogba (2nd best talent), Januzaj, Wilson, Rashford, Gribbin, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, etc... That's not a bad list of players to being able to make a positive contribution in men's football. Out of that list, only Ravel, Wilson, and Gribbin failed to make the step up. The other players have been able to prove they can play in a top 5 league and in Garner's case, still an ongoing journey.

Hannibal was always a top talent, hence why we paid 10m for him at age 16. He doesn't lack technical ability. As he comes to terms with the quickness of top flight football, he will start to show more of his talent. This isn't a McTominay situation where there is nothing at the bottom of the well. The biggest deterrent for Hannibal will be coming to grips with the quickness, something most young players have a hard time dealing with initially.
That is fair. I actually think a confident Mctominay is a decent player, not united quality but perfectly suitable for a mid table team. Regarding Hannibal, he was bought as a top talent but for me even in the youth teams he was more comparable to an Andreas Pereira type player and I'd even go further and say I think Pereira was and is more talented than him as well as showed more in youth and reserves. Let's see how he goes, I think with some players like Mainoo you can see instantly that he has it. Hannibal for me falls into that later category of maybe he can make it but probably wouldn't. Happy to revist end of the season!

Mr PG

People yet don’t understand the significance of playing Bruno in the right to accommodate Hannibal in the middle . Watch this space

Glorio

Need I remind you that Scots made up the most important fabric of the Manchester United DNA.

A wee bit more respect and some less xenophobia might help.

Namaste.
No one is showing any Xenophobia, and definitely not against a Scotsman. This is Man United.
McTominay is being called out based on his poor performances.

I for one do not know why we like pitting players against each other. Hannibal, a young kid, on his first start, fresh off coming on as a sub and scoring a belter, had a very accomplished game. Can we not enjoy that without going all tribal?

It was a game where we had very little of the ball as a team, and most outfield players, bar defenders had very few touches. Even with that, Hannibal was a bright spark in just about everything he was involved in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Need I remind you that Scots made up the most important fabric of the Manchester United DNA.

A wee bit more respect and some less xenophobia might help.

Namaste.
Xenophobia?
Because McTominay is being called out for not being good enough?

criticalanalysis

ETH needed him to do a role there and I'd say it worked extremely well. He had 3 out of 4 attacking players working their asses off, Rashford put in more of a shit than usual too. Mejbri persistently blocked the passing lane for the centre backs to midfield and supported Hojlund (it must be agonising deploying the high press and feeling let down by your teammates).

I'm sure in due course he'll be utilised (or discovered) as that ball progressing midfielder, but for tonight we needed him there and he did all you could ask of him.

I just hope he becomes a regular in our first XI from now on. If the team can start developing in the final third we might have the luxury of having no guaranteed starters, i.e. they'll have to work hard if they want to play.
Yeah I don't disagree with what you're saying. It's just a pity we're resorting to defending so much and having bodies behind the ball with such a reactive approach. My post was mostly a criticism of ETH.

I think this is the way Erik wants to go but the biggest issue is that the technical and physical level of our biggest stars is so low such that everything breaks like a deck of cards. We can only keep the ball in deep areas, can't circulate it in the middle or up front and most of the times we have two players in the five uptop that aren't really committed to the press.

When confidence and form picks up I think it will work particularly if Martiznez and Casemiro return to the levels they showed last season. I don't know if this formation or any will ever work with Bruno central to it. Great as he is I think he just lacks the emotional balance to be a true conductor as he is wired to look for the final ball each time which becomes a bit predictable.
I don't think we lack in the technical or physical aspect, I think it's mainly an attitude thing and that comes top down. It's only 1 season and I know that's probably too soon to make definitive statements but based on that, I just don't think ETH really cares that much about possession and control with the ball. Or rather that's not his priority (rightly or wrongly). You only have to look at Burnley, Brighton and Spurs; I refuse to believe we can't play in a possession/dominant fashion with the players we have, injuries included. Anyways I'm going off on a tangent.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’d say @Adnan is delighted today!
:D

It's always good to see a young kid come into the team and do well mate. I think there's potentially much more to come from Hannibal and there was a few posters recently who were quite certain he wouldn't get any minutes. But EtH started him in a game that we needed to win after a sequence of losses. It was quite a ballsy move to play Hannibal in a game that we were under strength. He could've quite easily have gone with Eriksen or Donny.

But the game between Arsenal and Spurs showed that even the more established attacking midfielders in the league like Odegaard can have a poor game, where he only completed 64% of his passes. And the tweet below goes to show the constant criticism players will receive.

I'm just hoping we can also have both Amrabat and Mainoo back soon aswell. Because both those players have the potential to receive passes under pressure and progress the ball. Tottenham are doing well right now with a coach who plays a more expansive game. But he inherited two players at the base of his midfield in Bissouma and Pape Sarr who have the physical and athletic capabilities along with the ability to evade opposition pressure. Bissouma is a limited player as far as his passing is concerned but if you just ask him to cover ground quickly and carry/dribble the ball, then he's far more effective as a player in a team that looks to play a more expansive game.

Dermott Walsh

Really hope ETH gives him a good run of games. No doubting the kid has talent but most importantly he has energy, unlike eriksen who has been getting exposed time and time again.
Hannibal had a good game yesterday, kept it simple and put himself about. I think with a few more games under his belt and some more confidence we could see some big performances from him. Guy plays international football and clearly has that bit of bite you need to play in the centre of the park and for a team like UTD. Here's hoping this is the start of a new revitalised midfield with him and Kobbie so we can go back to using the likes of Eriksen and McT as squad players.

Highfather_24

He can definitely play deeper, no doubt about that, but I think at this time ETH will prefer to use him exclusively higher because of his workrate and physicality.

Esquire

A weird post because Casemiro put in one of his better performances and made some big tackles. He was important last night, because McT was practically invisible.
I meant overall this season, Casemiro has been well off pace, but agree with you last night was better.

Glorio

Simple - he/she obviously hasn't watched him. The only thing you could say about Hannibal is you never know if kids can carry their youth football performances into senior football.

But for anyone who watched him in the reserves, that's a frankly ridiculous take

Crimson King

I meant overall this season, Casemiro has been well off pace, but agree with you last night was better.
Yeah I won't disagree about Casemiro in respects to the season as a whole so far. His drop off has been a big part of how vulnerable we've been at the back, but we can live and hope he turned a corner on Saturday night...

Mike Smalling

Looks like we have another squad option available for our midfield. With everyone fit (Casemiro, Ambrabat, Mount, Eriksen, Mejbri, McTominay, Bruno) it's all about picking the right types of player for the different games we will be playing, as well as which players are able to find form and gel with each other. There's a ton of combinations there that haven't really been tried, and where the players have little or no experience playing together.

In any case, I'd like to see more of Mejri, and I think it was a brave call by Ten Hag to start him. He brings the same kind of energy and attitude as Garnacho.

Tarrou

it can take a good while to get up-to speed in midfield in the prem

people saying he isn't talented need to account for that surely, the game in the middle of the park is a million miles an hour.. he might not get to the level required but to rule that out completely is just silly at this point

the number of midfielders who came through at a top club and hit the ground running is very very low

I'm excited to see him develop now he's got his foot in the door

stoinz

He looked before passing and that is already a massive upgrade than our other midfield options. A bit slow imo and some passes were under hit but you can tell what he was trying to do. He was also quite smart with his pressing. Think he was one of the reason why Casemiro played well too.

I hope ETH gives him more chances.

RuudTom83

He is a great player to have in the squad to fill a few roles in the midfield when needed.

He has shown that perfectly in the last 2 games.

Trequarista10

It’s strange to me, some of the negative comments about him, I don’t know what game these people are watching. Some people just don’t rate him. Possibly they expect the finished article but if they can’t see the talent there I’m at a loss.
Some people are just pessimistic as a defence mechanism. Being optimistic means you risk being disappointed. If you're cycnical and pessimistic from the beginning you can't be disappointed. You can also be smug if a young player doesn't make it, because you can say "told you so, knew it all along".

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sometimes you just wonder, if ETH has more faith on Meijbri in the beginning, maybe there is no need to spend that 55m on Mount.