2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FriedClams

Thing is I'd rather people just research a bit before throwing bold assertions around. No foul if one hasn't watched a lot of reserve football, but if you must, at least read up on the player, or watch a few videos - even if it's the "every touch" videos. Because it's genuine odd reading that he's some form of limited hussle merchant.
its not common for academy stars to use the same playstyle they did against opponents who mostly don’t make it at a high level. His play now is all about adapting to the league, then when he’s comfortable, we see the full package.

Glorio

its not common for academy stars to use the same playstyle they did against opponents who mostly don’t make it at a high level. His play now is all about adapting to the league, then when he’s comfortable, we see the full package.
Agreed, and I completely get that

jesperjaap

Considering the lack of running from the maority of ouru midfield players the last few seasons, that says a lot in itself, especially considering the opposition hardly having s chasing the game last night.

JackRowley

I was more impressed with Dan Gore in the limited time he had on the pitch. I fear Hannibal will be in more trouble with his tackling/pressing in terms of lots of bookings. Thought he was fortunate not to get sent off last night.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The Birmingham loan brought his out of possession game up a level. Because John Eustace (Brum manager) did coach a pressing and counter pressing strategy which seems to have improved Hannibal out of possession. Anyone who has seen him play coming up through the youth teams, will know that he was a play maker with passing and ball carrying abilities.

"It has long been a feature of his game. "He has broken records for total distance, all that kind of stuff," said Birmingham City boss John Eustace last season, where Mejbri enjoyed a coming-of-age campaign in the Championship. It was the making of him."

"Speaking to the midfielder in February, he explained the transformation in his game and in his mentality. "Since I am in the Championship, I have seen that I need to work on my physical capabilities. It is making me a better player," he told Sky Sports."

And the game below from a couple of years ago in the EFL Cup against Lincoln shows his ability on the ball playing in a deeper midfield role where his passing and ball carrying ability is on display.

I would like to say kudos to you for your studiousness in following and updating these players you’ve had faith in for so many years. Your unwavering and the updates provided even when these players are in tough periods on loans or in the dregs performance wise is admirable (and invaluable as a quick reference point). You must feel partially like a proud dad/scout finally seeing the likes of Hannibal get his chance? It’s been a really long and winding road and you’ve remained steadfast throughout. :cool:

Dve

Mejbri was one of the most talented youngsters coming out from France when he joined us at the age of 16. He is 20, so he shouldn't be a regular starter based on what he's shown, but he's far more talented than you give him credit for.
Unless the poster watches him for the youth team he’s obviously not going to know that yet based on his first team outings, with that in mind I don’t know why he’s bothering to make such bold assertions after about 3 senior games anyway.
Oh, I did watch him quite a bit for the youth team and I also "scouted" him last season at Birmingham, if not every game, at least 3-4 times. The last part of the season, he actually struggled to get into the team that ended 17th in the Championship. He had some good games earlier in the season, but I'd argue he had nothing like the impact e.g. Amad had at Sunderland. Is he a good passer? In my opinion, keeping possession has always been a week side of this game, and he's still quite wasteful missing on the simplest passes.

It's maybe bad of me to talk down a young talent, but we have a tendency of over-hyping young academy players. Mejbri with his versatility certainly has some qualities, but personally, I doubt he will be at United in a couple of years. I think Mainoo will, and maybe Amad as well (and Gore), but Mejbri and Pellistri I worry will follow in the tracks of Williams, Chong, Gardner, Galbraith, Mengi, Iqbal etc. We had hopes for them all, but it takes quite a bit to break into a top PL side.

Ludens the Red

Fair, that would not tell you what sort of player he is. I think Birmingham was a great environment for him to really excel in his off the ball workrate, and ability to compete physically, however, his main attributes consistently shown in the youth side are more his passing and dribbling
To be fair Birmingham did surpass their midfield a lot of the time so it probably wasnt a loan deal that helped his technical qualities shine but yeah lets see..

Orange Tree

He covers a lot of ground. If he can keep this performance up and start getting and carrying the ball more like he did in the youth team, he will be a mainstay in the team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would like to say kudos to you for your studiousness in following and updating these players you’ve had faith in for so many years. Your unwavering and the updates provided even when these players are in tough periods on loans or in the dregs performance wise is admirable (and invaluable as a quick reference point). You must feel partially like a proud dad/scout finally seeing the likes of Hannibal get his chance? It’s been a really long and winding road and you’ve remained steadfast throughout. :cool:
Thanks, I hope my updates helped people understand the strategy that was being implemented at Birmingham last season. And that strategy was heavily centred around transitioning the ball forward quickly, winning the second balls with the aim of getting the ball into the box. And if the opposition wins the second ball then Birmingham were coached to press and counter press aggressively out of possession.

And looking back at the strategy implemented by John Eustace, it makes a lot of sense because the Birmingham team were not very good in possession , so it made sense to go direct by committing players into the final third with the press and counter press as the failsafe high up the pitch to thwart opposition transitions. And I said at the time that he might not have gained anything as far as controlling the game in possession is concerned but he likely must have gained something due to how John Eustace wanted his team to control the game out of possession via the press and counter press. Amad Diallo was sent to a Sunderland team that was much better in possession, so the foundation was already in place for him to potentially thrive around players who were technically capable on the ball. Hannibal went to a team that was technically below par in possession but were coached well out of possesion and we've seen a improvement in his out of possession play which is very important for any coach who wants to implement a dominant brand of football because the game can't be controlled just in possession.

But the young player I was early on was Kobbie Mainoo. And that was after a game we lost heavily to Liverpool and most were disappointed about not having any talented players in that particular tram with both Mainoo and Garnacho playing for us.
Thing is I'd rather people just research a bit before throwing bold assertions around. No foul if one hasn't watched a lot of reserve football, but if you must, at least read up on the player, or watch a few videos - even if it's the "every touch" videos. Because it's genuine odd reading that he's some form of limited hussle merchant.
What normally happens on the forum is that people make judgements on the present without attempting to look back on how and when someone or something developed to become what they're or is today. One of the examples is from earlier in this particular thread where someone mentions players like Bernardo Silva, Rodri, De Bruyne and Gundogan as the benchmark but they either forget to mention or are unaware that those same players had difficulties in their formative years where they struggled to make the first team or were deemed not good enough. Bernardo was deemed not good enough at Benfica and sold to Monaco and Rodri was released from Atletico Madrid before they re-signed him again from Villareal and he played his first competitive game at the age of 22 for Atletico.

It's always difficult to make projections with young players. But if there's talent then there's always a chance that the talent will blossom with time and patience.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thanks, I hope my updates helped people understand the strategy that was being implemented at Birmingham last season. And that strategy was heavily centred around transitioning the ball forward quickly, winning the second balls with the aim of getting the ball into the box. And if the opposition wins the second ball then Birmingham were coached to press and counter press aggressively out of possession.

And looking back at the strategy implemented by John Eustace, it makes a lot of sense because the Birmingham team were not very good in possession , so it made sense to go direct by committing players into the final third with the press and counter press as the failsafe high up the pitch to thwart opposition transitions. And I said at the time that he might not have gained anything as far as controlling the game in possession is concerned but he likely must have gained something due to how John Eustace wanted his team to control the game out of possession via the press and counter press. Amad Diallo was sent to a Sunderland team that was much better in possession, so the foundation was already in place for him to potentially thrive around players who were technically capable on the ball. Hannibal went to a team that was technically below par in possession but were coached well out of possesion and we've seen a improvement in his out of possession play which is very important for any coach who wants to implement a dominant brand of football because the game can't be controlled just in possession.

But the young player I was early on was Kobbie Mainoo. And that was after a game we lost heavily to Liverpool and most were disappointed about not having any talented players in that particular tram with both Mainoo and Garnacho playing for us.
I hope so too, as you are keeping your finger on the pulse with regard to overarching plan and scope these loans have and not just focusing on the play in terms of raw goals, assists and flash. There's been a marked improvement in his running and pressing and it should be praised, and you highlighting the whys of how it's come about is invaluable information for those who wish to think in terms greater than the 1's and 0's.

Hannibal is not yet being deployed in his optimal position, but he certainly has a role to play where he's currently being deployed and now that it's clear the manager is going to use him and has a roadmap for him, it's less concerting that he's getting PT further up the pitch - previously it was seen as the manager simply not fancying the player and eventually selling him off, but now it's clear it's a way to have him feature a lot more than he otherwise would currently.

Hannibal's class was the last I really followed the unders, so the likes of Gore and Mainoo, I'm getting a look at only in preseason and when they feature for the first team. It's quite a curious affair to observe them all getting their break in the same season.

In Rainbows

I admit I haven't watched him that often, but I feel he plays very differently depending what position he's in. When he's playing that more attacking role he seems to run away from the ball a lot, moving up the field towards the opposition goal waiting for others to find him. Whereas when he plays deeper he seems to move towards the ball, demanding it and looking to dominate a lot more.

That's based on a fairly small sample size though so I could be wrong.
This is mostly how it was. You're correct.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope so too, as you are keeping your finger on the pulse with regard to overarching plan and scope these loans have and not just focusing on the play in terms of raw goals, assists and flash. There's been a marked improvement in his running and pressing and it should be praised, and you highlighting the whys of how it's come about is invaluable information for those who wish to think in terms greater than the 1's and 0's.

Hannibal is not yet being deployed in his optimal position, but he certainly has a role to play where he's currently being deployed and now that it's clear the manager is going to use him and has a roadmap for him, it's less concerting that he's getting PT further up the pitch - previously it was seen as the manager simply not fancying the player and eventually selling him off, but now it's clear it's a way to have him feature a lot more than he otherwise would currently.

Hannibal's class was the last I really followed the unders, so the likes of Gore and Mainoo, I'm getting a look at only in preseason and when they feature for the first team. It's quite a curious affair to observe them all getting their break in the same season.
There's three young midfielders at u18 level who look like they could follow a similar trajectory. Jayce Fitzgerald (16), Finley McAllister (17) and Jack Moorhouse (17) look like young players who could develop into playmakers. All three players are very comfortable on the ball and can evade/resist pressure. So it'll be interesting to see who they get on in the next few years.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hate when people start comparing him to Fred already, he's not even close as good defensively, always seems to be half a stride slower. Didn't quite give me the right impressions of him today. He's much more creative than that but ETH wanted totall control at the expense of creativity today.

So if he convinced him along with other palyers palying boring football, taking no risks turning with the ball, I am happy he proved himself useful, because he's got potential. But I think due to his slightly average first touch, I think he's gonna be aiming for that 6/8 hybrid role, rather than attacking one, he's got good vision and a pass from the back. Also it's his second senior start, so should improve when he gets up to pace after bulding match day rhytm and fitness.

Always hard for a youth player to get going and transitionto senior football. Stupid yellow at the beginning though!
I agree. At the moment it seems like he's being used as a running body, fair enough we needed that, but I'm not convinced with Mejbri. On the ball he gives me Pogba vibes, good technically and aesthetic in his movement, but not purposeful. Mainoo and even Gore look like they know what they should do with the ball while Hannibal is a bit too slow with everything.

Again, that might be down to instructions to keep or simple. I don't know. But I think he's been OK in the last few games and a good talent to keep an eye on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The Birmingham loan brought his out of possession game up a level. Because John Eustace (Brum manager) did coach a pressing and counter pressing strategy which seems to have improved Hannibal out of possession. Anyone who has seen him play coming up through the youth teams, will know that he was a play maker with passing and ball carrying abilities.

"It has long been a feature of his game. "He has broken records for total distance, all that kind of stuff," said Birmingham City boss John Eustace last season, where Mejbri enjoyed a coming-of-age campaign in the Championship. It was the making of him."

"Speaking to the midfielder in February, he explained the transformation in his game and in his mentality. "Since I am in the Championship, I have seen that I need to work on my physical capabilities. It is making me a better player," he told Sky Sports."

And the game below from a couple of years ago in the EFL Cup against Lincoln shows his ability on the ball playing in a deeper midfield role where his passing and ball carrying ability is on display.

Hannibal running the most a Man Utd player has done in the past 5 years is actually very impressive when you consider how many insane shifts Fred and Bruno have done in matches over the last few years

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wow that’s super impressive. He’s obviously very keen to make a statement here and not just go through the motions. I like that, he’s been great, a breath of fresh air. He plays with a maturity I didn’t think he would possess so young. I really liked him at youth level but I wasn’t totally sure he had it in him to come in and stand out beyond keeping it tidy and being scrappy. He’s talented and driven. Good for him! I’d love to see him make it here.

Kudos to the posters who insisted the loan to Birmingham wasn’t a true indication of where he was at in his development and that he would probably look much better when he had better players around him. I knew he was talented but i thought he’d most likely missed his window with our new signings and Mainoo coming through and that he’d land out on loan again.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah, that explains it. Technically he is a proper CM.

Just one example of his technique

Good find on the video clip.

That little interchange stuck in my mind forever -- of how instant and fantastic the chemistry was between amad and Hannibal. They barely played like 2 matches together and yet...
Was such a joy to watch that game that day.

Marwood

Hannibal running the most a Man Utd player has done in the past 5 years is actually very impressive when you consider how many insane shifts Fred and Bruno have done in matches over the last few years
I didn't think he looked tired either. Could have played another 45min at that pace. Crazy good engine.

Trex

We need more players like this guy, Awb. Players who take responsibility for their performance and the place they find themselves in the pecking other.
Not those who think they're scapegoated because they're corrected.
Its good to see the right attitude and hardwork being rewarded under ETH. Any player who doesn't fancy this way and think they deserve a place just because they think they're something special can go f*ck themselves (I'm looking at you Sancho).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Funny thing is Modric who he has been compared to in the past also has a ridiculous engine.

Red71

He is a lovely player to watch on his day. I’m so delighted for him, and for us, that he’s finally broken through to the 1st team. As others have said, I think he’ll start show more expansive passing, more creative play and the elusiveness when pressed once he’s had a few more games to acclimatise to playing at this higher level.

His pressing and endeavor in the middle of the park has been a breath of fresh air and it cannot be underestimated how much that has helped the team in the last few games.

I see levels to this lad based on his career with us (& on loan) so far. If ETH plays his cards right here, he may have an absolute diamond on his hands that’s just in need of a polish…

didz

He's always reminded me a lot of Jack Grealish, just with a healthy dose of sheer lunacy. It's great finally seeing him breaking into our first team. I know he's only young, but it feel like we've had him forever.

In Rainbows

Even his performance in pre-season against Wrexham I think offers a bit more insight as to his capabilities. I know they are a league 2 team, but he also had far weaker teammates that day and he got on the ball and made things happen against grown men.

stoinz

He is still a bit raw, passes are still undercooked but you can tell there is a talent there. Let's not overhype him.

But I really like him, and I think he is one of the main reason Casemiro played well. He mainly picked the right option even though the some of the passes were under hit, always mobile and always available for a pass and doesn't press like a headless chicken. Hope ETH gives him time and opportunity go grow.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Like the look of him so far and it’s another option in midfield. He’s clearly got talent. Midfield options look stronger this season with Case, Amrabat, Mount, Bruno, Eriksen Hannibal, Mainoo and Mctominay

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My only reservation with him has and still is his temperament. Even against Palace he was booked early (soft one) but still had nibbles that at PL level he may get a second yellow. I fear a few reds before he learns that lesson

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My only reservation with him has and still is his temperament. Even against Palace he was booked early (soft one) but still had nibbles that at PL level he may get a second yellow. I fear a few reds before he learns that lesson
It almost felt like ETH didn't want to sub him just to teach him a lesson. He stayed on the pitch long after 2 incidents for which he could've seen second yellow.

Paul778

Like the look of him so far and it’s another option in midfield. He’s clearly got talent. Midfield options look stronger this season with Case, Amrabat, Mount, Bruno, Eriksen Hannibal, Mainoo and Mctominay
How could you forget Donnie?

crossy1686

career ending
Apparently is impossible to have an engine and be technically sound.
All the great players who stay/stayed at the top of their game worked their bollocks off first and foremost. You make yourself busy and you'll always find that things fall your way during the game, but you're right, people rarely see the workrate of great players, just the highlight reel.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It almost felt like ETH didn't want to sub him just to teach him a lesson. He stayed on the pitch long after 2 incidents for which he could've seen second yellow.
Hopefully it’s something he learns and grows out of like most youngsters. He’s got a highly promising future now that he’s also learnt the workrate to supplement his talent

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The wreckless agression can be coached into controlled agression though.

RuudTom83

He is in a good moment, let’s see if he can keep getting minutes with a few injured players coming back.

Personally I would use him ahead of Eriksen and McTom.