2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Strelok

Fred 2.0. Runs around a lot, much to desire when it comes to his passing. In my opinion, not a United regular starter despite his pressing abilities.
No he's not Fred 2.0. Fred runs a lot but his first touch and passing is fecking sloppy. God flip a coin whenever he touches the ball. And he doesn't have the necessary body and strength to shield the ball against PL players.

Mejbri is actually already quite big & strong and has pretty good composure on the ball. You rarely see him making bad, sloppy touch or pass like Fred who does that on a regular basis. Imo what he still lacks if a bit of finesse in the critical moments. His passing and touches can be a bit undercooked/overcooked in such moments. He's still a bit raw but that's understandable given his age imo. Midfielders usually mature pretty late you hardly see any good midfielder younger than 22-23 yo. Mejbri is only 20.

However I'd agree on the regular starter part. Yet.

Ace of Spades

He has all the tools needed to be a very good midfielder, now it is just about development.

The important part is that the manager is happy with him and his contribution. He has provided balance to our midfield. He needs to work on his on the ball work than in the last two games, but for now we have other players who can take that responsibilityl. He does not even need to do anything spectacular, we have older, more experienced players like Casemiro, Bruno, Mount, Amrabat who can be tasked with that. His abilty off the ball is what has helped in the last two games massively to stop players from cutting through us easily.

Think him, along with Mainoo and Gore are the players that have caught the manger's eye. So, if he keeps these levels of effort while improving his passing, then he will be a very good player. Good luck to the lad, he got a chance and he took it.

Highfather_24

How tall is he? 5'9-5'10 ish?

His physicality doesnt really seem to be a problem, which I'm surprised.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Decent performances so far, and should start over McT. Happy to see another youngster in the team

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He is in a good moment, let’s see if he can keep getting minutes with a few injured players coming back.

Personally I would use him ahead of Eriksen and McTom.
There's very little use for Eriksen and McTominay from now on IMO, especially once Mainoo is back.

Strelok

That seems sus. He's around the same height as Bruno, he's definitely not 6ft. Maybe with the hair :lol:
Tbh I have no idea. Wiki says he's 177 cm but transfermarkt and eurosport say he's 183-184 cm. Imo these two sources are more up to date. He's still very young and might be still growing so it's hard to get the true number I guess.

Bruno is 179 cm btw. Anyway it's hard to notice a difference of a few cm especially with that hair :D

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Decent performances so far, and should start over McT. Happy to see another youngster in the team
This. Clearly not afraid of being physical like McTom. But has so much more technical abilities than Mr Brave heart

A lifetime Islington gooner mate of mine just mentioned and asked who Hannibal was a week ago. Said he looked a player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hannibal seems to do quite well defensively aswell, his best position is probably a number 10 but hasn’t he been playing in a 8 the last few games?

Red71

All the great players who stay/stayed at the top of their game worked their bollocks off first and foremost. You make yourself busy and you'll always find that things fall your way during the game, but you're right, people rarely see the workrate of great players, just the highlight reel.
This, for sure! As they say, the harder you work, the luckier you get…I’ve got a sneaking suspicion he could end up being a lucky charm for us given the shift he always puts in!

Red71

This video at once makes me smile but also pull my remaining hair out! His ability is there for all to see but it’s like the refs think he’s taking the pi$$ or something so he’s fair game…it’s like they’re saying “I’m not protecting you, you’ve brought this on yourself son” as he continues to get clattered. It’s infuriating! A number of those tackles could have been yellows and there were certainly repeat offenders in there.

People say he’s hot headed but I’d be bloody furious if I was getting hacked about with no protection from the ref. I hope it improves in the prem.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This video at once makes me smile but also pull my remaining hair out! His ability is there for all to see but it’s like the refs think he’s taking the pi$$ or something so he’s fair game…it’s like they’re saying “I’m not protecting you, you’ve brought this on yourself son” as he continues to get clattered. It’s infuriating! A number of those tackles could have been yellows and there were certainly repeat offenders in there.

People say he’s hot headed but I’d be bloody furious if I was getting hacked about with no protection from the ref. I hope it improves in the prem.
Or get his hair pulled when he was playing in the Academy.

Davie Moyes

Totally agree mate. Still can't get my head around posters questioning his talent or saying they can't see it. Just watch a few seconds of the vid. I think he's an elite talent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

It was a massive talking point throughout most of his time rising through the ranks - getting absolutely hacked to pieces to the point the way he is now is because of that. He got treated so poorly by refs in this country; has every right to be distrusting of them or go out there and be fired up because of the tribulations he went through.

DJ_21

More the other way around IMO. His best position is probably playing deeper, but so far in the first team he's been played either as a 10 or a very attacking 8.
Ye I think he’s been playing in an attacking 8 but against palace he was a 10. His work rate his really good. Just needs to cut out the silly fouls.

Lee565

Funny to see people trying to downplay both hannibal and amrabat performances, it's as if they actually prefer seeing either mctominay and eriksen next to casimero in midfield and getting dominated

Tarrou

Funny to see people trying to downplay both hannibal and amrabat performances, it's as if they actually prefer seeing either mctominay and eriksen next to casimero in midfield and getting dominated
if Hannibal gets dropped for Eriksen or McTominay I'll probably just go to bed to save myself the heart-ache :lol: (midnight kick off here)

Glorio

Totally agree mate. Still can't get my head around posters questioning his talent or saying they can't see it. Just watch a few seconds of the vid. I think he's an elite talent.
If they haven't watched him, and only watched a couple of outings for Birmingham and his appearances for us this season, I can see why they might hold such a view, even if he showed some of this technique in the second half of the win against Burnley and with his goal against Brighton.
I appreciate not a lot watch our youth teams consistently, which is fair, I don't these days (did however watch a lot the seasons before last), my issue however, is when they don't go and research at all, but just make ignorant declarations with full alacrity and finality.

Brightonian

I agree that if you haven't watched any of a player's development, it's a bit rich to see three senior games and then declare definitively what they can and cannot do.

That said, there's also validity to pointing out that many players never really manage to reproduce the kind of football they were known for as kids once they get into senior football.

From Hannibal's perspective, I'd say Andreas Pereira is a really good cautionary tale here. We brought him in as a highly-rated 15/16 year old with lots of big European clubs sniffing around. He was known for his ball control, his vision, his raking diagonal passes, his ability to carry the ball in tight spaces, his dead ball delivery and his shooting from range. A real rolls royce player. He could also really tackle which at the time was always noted with surprise from flair creative players. His weakness was his lack of urgency and work-rate - he would sometimes drift in and out of games where he was evidently the most gifted player on the pitch and should have been dictating.

In the first team, having trawled his way through two years of non-very-successful La Liga loans, his work rate and application were much improved, and that knack for a tackle was still there. But he couldn't establish himself in games with the confidence to produce all the stuff he was known for as a kid. Fans who'd never really seen him before appreciated his graft but pointed out that he didn't seem to offer anything else; they wanted players with technical quality and creativity. Those who had watched him from the start through U18s and U21s grumbled, knowing that was meant to be his whole deal.

If you watch him for Fulham now, he's starting to settle and become the type of player he was as a youth again. Creativity, vision, long passing, crossing and free-kicks. But he never managed to show it at United.

Hannibal should be wary of this. He's produced the things Ten Hag wants first and foremost - work rate, positional discipline, fitting into the system. But he should quickly look to build on that and reproduce what the reserves-watchers know he has in his locker: progressive ball-carrying, aggressive passing, goals and assists. It doesn't take long to accidentally slip into a pattern of hard-working mediocrity.

Highfather_24

I agree that if you haven't watched any of a player's development, it's a bit rich to see three senior games and then declare definitively what they can and cannot do.

That said, there's also validity to pointing out that many players never really manage to reproduce the kind of football they were known for as kids once they get into senior football.

From Hannibal's perspective, I'd say Andreas Pereira is a really good cautionary tale here. We brought him in as a highly-rated 15/16 year old with lots of big European clubs sniffing around. He was known for his ball control, his vision, his raking diagonal passes, his ability to carry the ball in tight spaces, his dead ball delivery and his shooting from range. A real rolls royce player. He could also really tackle which at the time was always noted with surprise from flair creative players. His weakness was his lack of urgency and work-rate - he would sometimes drift in and out of games where he was evidently the most gifted player on the pitch and should have been dictating.

In the first team, having trawled his way through two years of non-very-successful La Liga loans, his work rate and application were much improved, and that knack for a tackle was still there. But he couldn't establish himself in games with the confidence to produce all the stuff he was known for as a kid. Fans who'd never really seen him before appreciated his graft but pointed out that he didn't seem to offer anything else; they wanted players with technical quality and creativity. Those who had watched him from the start through U18s and U21s grumbled, knowing that was meant to be his whole deal.

If you watch him for Fulham now, he's starting to settle and become the type of player he was as a youth again. Creativity, vision, long passing, crossing and free-kicks. But he never managed to show it at United.

Hannibal should be wary of this. He's produced the things Ten Hag wants first and foremost - work rate, positional discipline, fitting into the system. But he should quickly look to build on that and reproduce what the reserves-watchers know he has in his locker: progressive ball-carrying, aggressive passing, goals and assists. It doesn't take long to accidentally slip into a pattern of hard-working mediocrity.
Excellent post.

DJ_21

I’m excited about Hannibal this season. I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen. He gives us very good work rate, him with Amrabat and Bruno will make us more of workhorses. If he can add goals and assist to his game then we’ve got a very good midfielder and he’s only 20 years old.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's not going to be playing ahead of Eriksen and probably not Mctominay either.

Feck me this forum sometimes.

Ted Lasso

He's not going to be playing ahead of Eriksen and probably not Mctominay either.

Feck me this forum sometimes.
Wanting an academy player to graduate to the first team and then the first XI is the most United thing ever. What's your problem?