2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mr PG

The thing with Hannibal is he’s really among our most technically gifted players if you watched him in the academy but it doesn’t help him when manager asks shin to run his socks off then judges him purely on that. 3-4 games in a row and you’d see his ball carrying and dribbling ability come to the fore.
I don’t think Ten hag rated him initially till he watched him against wrexham. Play him a little deeper and he can run the game

Mr PG

Hannibal, Kobbie , Dan Gore and Eriksen are the most natural midfielders we have. Bruno and Mount are no.10’s in the real sense

dutchred

He might start if Casemiro is not fit. Alongside Amrabat and Eriksen with Bruno out right

Glorio

Casemiro is 50/50, McTominay has been awful since his heroic cameo, Eriksen doesn't have the legs, Mejbri has worked himself into the ground when he's had the opportunity. The only surprise here is ETH not giving him more games since he's performed for him. I agree with Adnan, I think he'll start alongside the non-dynamic Amrabat and Bruno further ahead of them.

Hopefully Erik will have the guts when Mainoo's back to field Mainoo, Mount and Mejbri.
The reason I think he could start is due to what ten Hag said a few weeks back about starting him against teams who are good at keeping possession. He was asked about why Hannibal didn't start and he said something along the lines of Hannibal's qualities being better utilised against possession teams.

So imo what ten Hag is saying is that Hannibal's out of possession game is best utilised against teams who are good at keeping the ball hence defending from the front and attempting to disrupt City's build up play by applying a well coordinated press higher up the pitch is why I think Hannibal could start the game.
Yes, I’d be surprised too. But I live in hope.

I'm a massive fan of Hannibal, and I've been just as mystified that he's been ignored since his flurry of chances which he duly grabbed with both hands. Especially since EtH admitted he's searching for balance in midfield.

However, from what I've seen from EtH, I'm not at all convinced he will play him, especially straight from the cold, and against City of all teams.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I wonder if it's his rashness that may give ETH second thoughts on starting him regularly.

I'm a big fan and think he's got plenty of ability...but you have to show some composure without the ball, especially in the context of big games.

It'll come, he's young and making his way. Plenty to learn but has ability to burn.

OrcaFat

I wonder if it's his rashness that may give ETH second thoughts on starting him regularly.

I'm a big fan and think he's got plenty of ability...but you have to show some composure without the ball, especially in the context of big games.

It'll come, he's young and making his way. Plenty to learn but has ability to burn.
Yeah, pure speculation but my hunch is that EtH rates him very highly and is trying to develop the weaker aspects of his game by taking him out and giving him time to assimilate instructions / coaching before chucking him back in there. And I think he probably needs that time for reflection and working on his game.

The rashness is a real thing, albeit probably exaggerated at times - people often post that he is a walking red card which is a tad unfair. With experience and coaching he’ll get better at reading the game and being in a better position to make challenges.

I think it’s fair to say he is a bit raw but he is, imo, highly talented. I see him developing into a very influential player and a first XI regular.

Lost bear

I'm a massive fan of Hannibal, and I've been just as mystified that he's been ignored since his flurry of chances which he duly grabbed with both hands. Especially since EtH admitted he's searching for balance in midfield.

However, from what I've seen from EtH, I'm not at all convinced he will play him, especially straight from the cold, and against City of all teams.
Yeah I’d be especially surprised if he was played in the city game. Generally though I must say I’m disappointed that he’s hardly been used. As you say, he’s really made a difference when he does play. It’s worrying.

STYLOISRED

Xavi starts Fermin in a home classico and in he bosses it but our excuse for not playing our youngsters is that the team is not playing well when the reason the team is not playing well are the so called "senior players" being absolute shit. I'm honestly disappointed in ETH. Playing players like Mctominay, Rashford consistently when the deputies have proven that they can atleast play well with the limited chances you have given them shows a lack of belief.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Outside of heading, is there a single attribue McTominay has over Hannibal in central midfield?

Would love to see him start tomorrow. Until 2 mins in when a City player cleverly pulls out the acting classes and gets him booked. Then I'd wish we'd gone safe ;)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Casemiro is 50/50, McTominay has been awful since his heroic cameo, Eriksen doesn't have the legs, Mejbri has worked himself into the ground when he's had the opportunity. The only surprise here is ETH not giving him more games since he's performed for him. I agree with Adnan, I think he'll start alongside the non-dynamic Amrabat and Bruno further ahead of them.

Hopefully Erik will have the guts when Mainoo's back to field Mainoo, Mount and Mejbri.
ETH will nearly always select the older, more experienced player when he has one available. Now that most our midfielders are back Mejbri is done here. He played against Burnley because others were out and Eriksen wasn’t well either I think. The only one he’s ahead of is VDB.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Outside of heading, is there a single attribue McTominay has over Hannibal in central midfield?

Would love to see him start tomorrow. Until 2 mins in when a City player cleverly pulls out the acting classes and gets him booked. Then I'd wish we'd gone safe ;)
Goal scoring. Physical strength. I’d sub McTominay in over starting him instead of Hannibal.

Amira

Xavi starts Fermin in a home classico and in he bosses it but our excuse for not playing our youngsters is that the team is not playing well when the reason the team is not playing well are the so called "senior players" being absolute shit. I'm honestly disappointed in ETH. Playing players like Mctominay, Rashford consistently when the deputies have proven that they can atleast play well with the limited chances you have given them shows a lack of belief.
I’ve never understood that excuse. A number of the current crop of senior players got their chances when we were playing shit

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
He needs a loan move he’s being completely wasted here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
ETH will nearly always select the older, more experienced player when he has one available. Now that most our midfielders are back Mejbri is done here. He played against Burnley because others were out and Eriksen wasn’t well either I think. The only one he’s ahead of is VDB.
That is my biggest disappointment about Erik so far. He's not brave enough. Lauds Rasmus for being brave, but continues to play what seems to be a safe bet, even though the best course of action is to plough through with how he actually wants to play. The only thing I sort of understand is his constant picking of Rashford as he's obviously seen him score 30 goals for him in his first season and he simply has to get him performing. Though I suspect Rashford would be better served by losing his place to Garnacho for a couple of matches and see if that ignites the fire required.

It would serve him better to come short at United playing his own way rather than picking players who either cannot execute his tactical plan or are so out off form that they cannot do the basics, in the name of pragmatism.

He needs to find some courage.

Onerealunited

I hope Mejbri is smart enough to look for another club to continue his development permanently. I am not at all in doubt that if he played for Dortmund or Brighton or another club giving youth chances he would have had lots of playing time and the optimal conditions to develop. We have seen time and time that ETH doesn’t fancy giving him much playing time when he have the other more experienced players available. I like the kid and would be very sad if we let him sit on the bench like this in the age where he need the most games to develop himself

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we're going to go direct again tomorrow and McTominay playing is a possibility. Because going direct requires targets to aim for and I think it would suit the current team to bypass the midfield against a strong City team. That would suit our CBs as well who aren't particularly good under pressure.

wolvored

I think TH pinned his flag to the Mainoo mast and if he hadnt have got injured, Mejbri probably wouldnt have had a game. Saying that its odd he hasnt at least given him more minutes from the bench. I think TH is worried about suffering a bollocking and plays it safe with experienced players, regardless of form or good enough.

STYLOISRED

I’ve never understood that excuse. A number of the current crop of senior players got their chances when we were playing shit
Crazy right? Now would have been the perfect time to give the youngsters a chance to stake a claim for these spots. Drop the underperformers and make them work their way back into the side while at the same time giving the youngsters valuable experience and gauging which ones will be good enough to be mainstays in the squad. The loss to Crystal Palace was the perfect opportunity to start this as the performance of the starters was just appalling. Instead he bottled it.

ti vu

Hannibal, Kobbie , Dan Gore and Eriksen are the most natural midfielders we have. Bruno and Mount are no.10’s in the real sense
He's no 10 by trade. He has the skillset and the brain that allows him to transition to midfield role at this latter state of his career, but his defensive game is flawed. He's not natural.

That's how bad our midfield option is currently.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He needs a loan move he’s being completely wasted here.
I don’t see a point loaning him. He’ll be 21 in January, we could loan him out for the next two seasons and probably still wouldn’t play him when he’s back. He needs to find a club that is not afraid to play an under 25 player that didn’t cost £50m+. We are clearly not in the youth development game, haven’t been for a while.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
I don’t see a point loaning him. He’ll be 21 in January, we could loan him out for the next two seasons and probably still wouldn’t play him when he’s back. He needs to find a club that is not afraid to play an under 25 player that didn’t cost £50m+. We are clearly not in the youth development game, haven’t been for a while.
Yer I don’t get it I think he’s looked great when he’s played, hunger has been next level and made the rest of the team look bad.

Malone_Post

Played two games, played well in both games, we won both games. Hasn’t been seen since. Make it make sense.

Sylar

Played two games, played well in both games, we won both games. Hasn’t been seen since. Make it make sense.
Yeah don't get it at all. Reckon his energy would have been useful for this game. Think we could have started him then subbed him off last 30 for eriksen if he was on a yellow

NZT-One

I just hope that the club will make consequential decision to loan him out in January. Theres no point of wasting his time when he simply isn't in the managers plan.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No chance he’ll get serious minutes under this manager. I don’t even rate him that highly from what I’ve seen of him but with how atrocious the rest of the midfield has been it’s beyond bemusing how he isn’t starting matches

GoldanoGraham

He was great in Carabao Cup - hasn’t had a snifter since - especially as we’ve been so shite…..baffling why the manager won’t use him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No chance he’ll get serious minutes under this manager. I don’t even rate him that highly from what I’ve seen of him but with how atrocious the rest of the midfield has been it’s beyond bemusing how he isn’t starting matches
He’s not even getting minutes off the bench!

I don’t particularly rate him either but McTominay scoring a couple of Hail Mary goals seems to have guaranteed him every minute of every game. Why didn’t Hannibal get treated the same after he scored?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No more McTominay please, give the lad a go. Can't watch our midfielders amble back towards goal as someone runs off them every single fecking game.

mu4c_20le

ETH only plays youngsters when he's forced to, usually due to injuries. Not surprised.

Skills

Snitch
Need to loan him out to protect his value, and then sell him this summer.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So you say. I think when he's played he's looked significantly better than the dross we've served up in the middle of the park to date.
Well then, we beg to differ, because he really hasn't.