Hargreaves vs. Carrick, Feadingseagulls vs. Noodle, Chief (Bayern Fan!) vs. Logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
The league table in Carrick's last season at Tottenham. Goals against 38.

Pos Club Pld W D L F A GD Pts Comments
1 Chelsea 38 29 4 5 72 22 +50 91 Champions League Group Stage
2 Manchester United 38 25 8 5 72 34 +38 83
3 Liverpool 38 25 7 6 57 25 +32 82 Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round
4 Arsenal 38 20 7 11 68 31 +37 67
5 Tottenham Hotspur 38 18 11 9 53 38 +15 65 UEFA Cup 1st Round

The league table in the season after Carrick's departure. Goals against 54.

Pos Club Pld W D L F A GD Pts Comments
1 Manchester United (C) 38 28 5 5 83 27 +56 89 Champions League
Group Stage
2 Chelsea 38 24 11 3 64 24 +40 83
3 Liverpool 38 20 8 10 57 27 +30 68 Champions League
3rd Qualifying Round
4 Arsenal 38 19 11 8 63 35 +28 68
5 Tottenham Hotspur 38 17 9 12 57 54 +3 60

The current league table. Goals Spurs against 41

Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS
1 Arsenal 26 12 2 0 31 8 7 4 1 23 10 36 63
2 Man Utd 26 12 1 1 32 5 6 3 3 18 9 36 58
3 Chelsea 26 8 5 0 23 8 8 2 3 15 9 21 55
4 Everton 26 8 2 3 24 11 6 3 4 17 12 18 47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Liverpool 25 5 6 1 26 9 6 5 2 14 8 23 44
6 Aston Villa 26 8 2 4 24 17 4 6 2 24 17 14 44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Man City 26 9 3 1 21 11 3 5 5 13 18 5 44
8 Portsmouth 26 3 7 2 15 10 8 1 5 21 16 10 41
9 Blackburn 26 5 4 4 13 13 5 5 3 19 20 -1 39
10 West Ham 25 5 5 3 16 13 5 2 5 14 10 7 37
11 Tottenham 26 6 2 4 33 22 2 6 6 15 19 7 32
Their best defender Ledley King has been injured for the last 2 seasons. We conceded more goals when Rio was suspended with Keane in the midfield than with OShea in the middle and Rio playing. Does that mean OShea >>> Keane ?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Oh and our away form has been shit in Europe for as long as I've been following the club. The one exception being the treble season when we played our natural game. Coincidence?
For sure. It's a mere coincidence. Since 99 we haven't won any way game in Europe in a very comfortable fashion. We've either lost continously or scapped through results like the Lille one of last year:rolleyes:

Oh and our away form has been shit in Europe for as long as I've been following the club. The one exception being the treble season when we played our natural game. Coincidence?
Yep. We never beat Deportivo away in 2002 and after, playing 4--2-3-1. Never beat Juventus 3-0 at the Del Alpi. Never drew with REAL at the Bernabeu in 2000. Have never drawn with Bayern Munich away during that period. Have never beaten sides like Valencia in Spain or Olympiakos in Greece. Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. Infact, We've not won one single European away game since 99 till Carrick arrived.

Their best defender Ledley King has been injured for the last 2 seasons. We conceded more goals when Rio was suspended with Keane in the midfield than with OShea in the middle and Rio playing. Does that mean OShea >>> Keane ?
No. It means a defence without Rio is shit, even with a Keane shielding it. Yey people like acnumber9 are meanwhile trying to claim our defensive improvment was down to Carrick's presnence. Which is plain stupid. especially when even with O'shea infront of it, we still weren't coneeding goals like water but were steadily improving.

acnumber9

King played 26 league games in 05/06 as opposed to 21 in 06/07. Not sure exactly but I'm guessing Spurs didn't concede 16 goals in those five games of a difference. Besides it wasn't me who said that Spurs had improved dramatically since Carrick's departure. Merely stating that the league table says otherwise. As far as the Keane O'Shea comparison goes no it does not mean that. Though Keane was pay past his best by that time anyway. If he had been at his best he would obviosly have made a huge difference.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Yes. Claiming its your favorite post in the entire thread is shameless and over the top to say the least. but you nerv accept when you wrong anyway. so ntohing new on that front

They day I'm declared insane and commited is the day they will make you king of the world and rigth about what you've done in this thread. Till then you have only your dreams.
My favourite post on the matter (ala plech). Sums up my thoughts on the matter
:lol:

idiot

acnumber9

Yep. We never beat Deportivo away in 2002 and after, playing 4--2-3-1. Never beat Juventus 3-0 at the Del Alpi. Never drew with REAL at the Bernabeu in 2000. Have never drawn with Bayern Munich away during that period. Have never beaten sides like Valencia in Spain or Olympiakos in Greece. Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. Infact, We've not won one single European away game since 99 till Carrick arrived.
I perhaps went overboard in my initial appraisal that we've been terrible away from home in Europe. However there have been some pretty dodgy results also. You casually forget to mention we had already lost away to Deportivo that very same season playing that very same system you laud. Also in the past we have lost games at the likes of Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven, Macabbi Haifa et al.

That Juventus game you mention we played 4-4-2 and you're right we haven't beaten Valencia, infact I believe we have stiil yet to beat any Spanish team on their own soil, or Celtic away from home and a win away to Rangers is no more impressive than a win away to Lille or Benfica. Still just keep making 'facts' up. It seems to be what you're best at. So you were about to tell us again how Hargreaves was the reason we won our group so comfortably.

We won the league and Spurs who's defense supposedly imporoved dramatically after Carrick left actually got worse. That was the point you were making, not there negligable cup 'success'.
:lol:My point was that Spurs never fell apart when Carrick, having overall far better results and a far better season without him shielding their defence or their midfield. Thinsg you claimed by the way. On top your lie that ouf defence got better cause of Carrick's arrival

We have also beat both Chelsea and Arsenal this season with Carrick instrumental in both.
We only beat a 10 man Chlesea in the league. We havne't beatn Arsenal in teh league yet.

We haven't lost home and away to Bolton either. But it wouldn't be the first time you've made something up to try and prove one of your points would it?
That's just dumb. I never said we lost to Bolton at all. You must think West Ham is pooucned Bolton. Besides we actually lost to Bolton, this season, with Carrick very present and rather poor

So, tell us how our vastly improved form in Europe this year is due to Hargeaves.
I insist. You first tell us how Carrick is the reason our defence was brilliant this season and last, and how our away from in Europe has besn shit since. Then you will earn the right to ask me such questions.

We'd also never drawn away to Lyon until Owen Hargreaves arrived at the club. Oh wait....
Your posts are just getting more dumb by the minute. We struggle to win a Lille away from home, after being dominated, but I'm wrong to blame Carrick, while we are ublucky to draw, with a well organsied Lyon side, away, a game we dominated and Hargreaves played well in but you're it's his fault we drew:rolleyes:

I perhaps went overboard in my initial appraisal that we've been terrible away from home in Europe. However there have been some pretty dodgy results also. You casually forget to mention we had already lost away to Deportivo that very same season playing that very same system you laud. Also in the past we have lost games at the likes of Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven, Macabbi Haifa et al.

That Juventus game you mention we played 4-4-2 and you're right we haven't beaten Valencia, infact I believe we have stiil yet to beat any Spanish team on their own soil, or Celtic away from home and a win away to Rangers is no more impressive than a win away to Lille or Benfica. Still just keep making 'facts' up. It seems to be what you're best at. So you were about to tell us again how Hargreaves was the reason we won our group so comfortably.
We beat Deportivo comfortbaly away from home in 2002. Same as at OT. Later that season with the formation you are abusing. Once or twice again in the following years. So much for me making facts up....

acnumber9

:lol:My point was that Spurs never fell apart when Carrick, having overall far better results and a far better season without him shielding their defence or their midfield. Thinsg you claimed by the way. On top your lie that ouf defence got better cause of Carrick's arrival

No I didn't merely pointed out the difference in how both teams have fared with and without Carrick. It's up to the individual's opinion whether Carrcik was a big influence or otherwise. Spurs never had a far better season. They finished the league season with 11 points fewer than they did the season before with Carrick instrumental. A team's performance in cup competitions is not a true barometer of success as they are dependant upon draws etc. The league is, simple as that. Spurs are not as good as they were when Carrick was playing for them.

We only beat a 10 man Chlesea in the league. We havne't beatn Arsenal in teh league yet.

We beat both teams with Carrick being instrumental both. Fact.

That's just dumb. I never said we lost to Bolton at all. You must think West Ham is pooucned Bolton. Besides we actually lost to Bolton, this season, with Carrick very present and rather poor

You did mention Bolton. You may remember Hargreaves was equall poor against Bolton

I insist. You first tell us how Carrick is the reason our defence was brilliant this season and last, and how our away from in Europe has besn shit since. Then you will earn the right to ask me such questions.

You really are rather pompous aren't you? I didn't say he was the reason our defence improved though I do believe he contributed to it. And as I have already stated our away form has imrpoved in comparison to the two seasons proceeding it. Keep ducking the questions though. /QUOTE]

acnumber9

We beat Deportivo comfortbaly away from home in 2002. Same as at OT. Later that season with the formation you are abusing. Once or twice again in the following years. So much for me making facts up....
We also lost 2-0 away to Deportivo. the game at OT is irrelevant as we're discussing away form. You made up us supposedly beating Valencia away from home along with beating Celtic. You also fathomed up in a thread a while back that Hargreaves was the reason we romped our group despite only having played fifteen minutes in it. Explain that to me again.

acnumber9

In this time too we lost to Arsenal twice, couldn't beat Chelsea once in the league, lost to sides like Bolton home and away and drew with the likes of Newcatsle Not to mention our shit away from in europe, the many goals we concceed at home in Europe and the San Siro hummliation all with Carrick present.
You're memory isn't quite as good as you like to think. Perhaps your memory of the Milan game you constantly reference isn't quite as clear as you like to think either. Remind us again what was the score when we beat Valencia and Celtic away from home?

acnumber9

Your posts are just getting more dumb by the minute. We struggle to win a Lille away from home, after being dominated, but I'm wrong to blame Carrick, while we are ublucky to draw, witha well organsied Lyon side, away, a game we dominaed and Hagrevaes plyed well in but you're it's his fault we drew:rolleyes:
I never said you were wrong to blame Carrick. I also never blamed Hargreaves for drawing last night. It's your opinon Hargreaves played well. That could be down to your famous memory again. In mine he did very little. I was just stating I didn't see the improvement in our performance that you and other's were telling me we would see away from home with Hargreaves in the team. Had the team that ended the match started it I believe we would've won comfortably.

Hoof the ball

Aesthetically speaking, hargreaves didn't have a "good" game, however, his game was probably by far the most effective in the United midfield out of himself, Anderson and Scholes. That is, until Carricks introduction and Anderson picking up his tempo in the second half.

If one looks at the game from a coaching and tactical standpoint, Hargreaves played a huge part in Lyon not increasing their lead at times. Had it not been for Owen quitely doing his business the way he did, Benzema would have had more possession throughout the game, Govou would have torn us to shreds and Lyon would have probably dominated far longer than the first 20 minutes from which they did.

Those who fail to see his unassuming and hardworking nature and overall contribution to the team, really are the first ones to claim that he didn't have a good game in the first place, whilst missing some vital things that contributed towards the end result.

I'm not saying that Hargreaves has been superb by any standards. I'm just saying that when he has played, taking into account his lack of playing time for United, he has quietly gone about a job that has been given to him and he has done it well, if unspectacularly.

Merman

Carrick is not a defensive midfielder.
Both Carrick and Hargreaves should start in Europe.
Anybody who tries to blame Rooney for our poor performance yesterday with no mention of Ronaldo's or giggs' performances is an idiot.
Anybody who hates a united player is a fecking wanker.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Yes, Hargreaves should focus on winning the ball and he should play with more intensity (like Fletcher does once or twice every season). He should win the ball, then sidefoot it to someone who can dictate play and pick out a pass, ala Carrick or Scholes. I hate it when he looks around and dawdles on the ball, inviting pressure then doing the fancy dragbacks etc. End up passing back to VDS.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes, Hargreaves should focus on winning the ball and he should play with more intensity (like Fletcher does once or twice every season). He should win the ball, then sidefoot it to someone who can dictate play and pick out a pass, ala Carrick or Scholes. I hate it when he looks around and dawdles on the ball, inviting pressure then doing the fancy dragbacks etc. End up passing back to VDS.
And when he does give a little pass to Carrick and Scholes, it is vital he gets himself in a position to recieve a simple pass back if they need him. That, more than anything else, annoys me about Hargreaves. So many times when he does the right thing and gives a simple pass to a more dominant player, he then just sits there or he runs forward to nowhere (perhaps he thinks he's getting into position to recieve the ball in a more dangerous position, but we don't need him to do that - he should be the one giving the ball player the simple option if needed).

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Aesthetically speaking, hargreaves didn't have a "good" game, however, his game was probably by far the most effective in the United midfield out of himself, Anderson and Scholes. That is, until Carricks introduction and Anderson picking up his tempo in the second half.

If one looks at the game from a coaching and tactical standpoint, Hargreaves played a huge part in Lyon not increasing their lead at times. Had it not been for Owen quitely doing his business the way he did, Benzema would have had more possession throughout the game, Govou would have torn us to shreds and Lyon would have probably dominated far longer than the first 20 minutes from which they did.

Those who fail to see his unassuming and hardworking nature and overall contribution to the team, really are the first ones to claim that he didn't have a good game in the first place, whilst missing some vital things that contributed towards the end result.

I'm not saying that Hargreaves has been superb by any standards. I'm just saying that when he has played, taking into account his lack of playing time for United, he has quietly gone about a job that has been given to him and he has done it well, if unspectacularly.
Or, alternatively, had Carrick started we could have ended up winning 3-1.

No. I didn't merely pointed out the difference in how both teams have fared with and without Carrick. It's up to the individual's opinion whether Carrcik was a big influence or otherwise. Spurs never had a far better season. They finished the league season with 11 points fewer than they did the season before with Carrick instrumental. A team's performance in cup competitions is not a true barometer of success as they are dependant upon draws etc. The league is, simple as that. Spurs are not as good as they were when Carrick was playing for them.
That's pure crap. Cups also counts in a season. Spurs finished 5th just like when Carrick was there. But without him they faired better in all cup competitions. It's obvious that they had a far better season the season he left.

We beat both teams with Carrick being instrumental both. Fact.
We haven't beaten both teams in the league. We also beat a 10 man team when we played Chelsea. Hardly something to call special.

You did mention Bolton. You may remember Hargreaves was equall poor against Bolton
Bullshit. I mentioned Bolton this season. You claimed I was talking about last season. Furthermore Hargreaves played well against them this term. Carrick was utter rubbish vs Bolton.

You really are rather pompous aren't you?
Why? Because I don't want to answer you pathetic cheap shot question about Hagreaves?

I didn't say he was the reason our defence improved though I do believe he contributed to it.
You said this about Carrick arrival:

You may also note that our defense has improved in the same timeline. Improved dramatically indeed.

And as I have already stated our away form has imrpoved in comparison to the two seasons proceeding it. Keep ducking the questions though.
Of course I will. You keep hankering own about that mistake I made talking about Hargreaves and oru champions league our this year. In order to hide the truth that you've been talking crap about Hargreaves and even more crap about Carrick.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Chief stop being a cnut. Constantly telling people that they are talking shit or being idiots.

It's funny how your opinion is a minority one...

So you admit Hargreaves has faired no better. Well done.
Rather I've just proved Carrick faired ratehr worse.

:rolleyes:Didn't say he was. Again I would put more blame on playing a system that is alien to our players rather than Carrick.
4-2-3-1 is not alien to our players. We played it yesterday and dominated Lyon unlucky to get a draw. But you wnat to claim it was Hargreaves fault.

Yet vs Lille with Carrick was a holding player vs Lille, we played the same system, with 2 strikers even, fecking struggled and stole a win agaisnt Lille off Giggs magic. This against a much weaker side than Lyon. But you want to claim it was a system problem.:wenger: You just don't' know when to stop making fool of yourself. Clearly

:wenger:He did nothing. We dominated the midfield because of Scholes and Giggs in the first half and because Lyon surrendered it in the seco0nd after taking the lead. we were still losing 1-0 when Hargreaves came off.
That's just shows your ignorance. Their midfield and attack was bulunted because our entire midfield did it's job. Including Hargreaves. Our going 1-0 down was down to a special stiker from Benzama and little else. Besides, we were still 1-0 down by the time Hargreaves was subbed, because Giggs had a knock, Scholes was clearly tired out and Lyon ahd given up attacking when they realised we were superior in midfield, trying to protect their one goal lead. But don't let such simple truths get in the way of your anti Hargreaves bullshit

Dramatically? What utter nonsense. Spurs have started to imporve over a year and a half later due to a new manager who is a lot more dicsiplined than the previous incumbent. Not sure of the exact stats regarding Spurs pre Carrick and post Carrick. If I can get them I'll post them.
People like you claim he was their key player and they fell apart without him. Yet with him they had a whole season to concentrate on the league alone and couldn't even hold on to 4th place after holding it for so long. Not to mention getting kicked out of cups by lower league sides.

Whne he left though Spurs finished 5th still, went further in the FA and Carling Cup, managed to get to a European semi final and managed to beat Chelsea. All things they couldn't do with Carrick there. A player used to British football. Yet the achieved far more with new player unused to the league like Zokora in his place. After a shakey start to that season. If that isn't dramatic improvement, under the circumatances, nothing else is.

Carrick is not a defensive midfielder.
Both Carrick and Hargreaves should start in Europe.
Anybody who tries to blame Rooney for our poor performance yesterday with no mention of Ronaldo's or giggs' performances is an idiot.
Anybody who hates a united player is a fecking wanker.
I agree with all you say in the post except the fact you think we were poor yesterday

Chief stop being a cnut. Constantly telling people that they are talking shit or being idiots....
So I should say that a person claiming I said something I neve said is telling the truth and not talking shit eh? :rolleyes:

It's funny how your opinion is a minority one...
Rather it's sad. It shows how there are few sensible people in these forums.

I never said you were wrong to blame Carrick.
Who said this then:

Again I would put more blame on playing a system that is alien to our players rather than Carrick.

I also never blamed Hargreaves for drawing last night.
He did nothing. We dominated the midfield because of Scholes and Giggs in the first half and because Lyon surrendered it in the seco0nd after taking the lead. we were still losing 1-0 when Hargreaves came off.
The above post tackes no blame to Hargreaves for our draw last night. None what soever

It's your opinon Hargreaves played well. That could be down to your famous memory again. In mine he did very little. I was just stating I didn't see the improvement in our performance that you and other's were telling me we would see away from home with Hargreaves in the team. Had the team that ended the match started it I believe we would've won comfortably.
We dominate a match away from home, from start to finish, a team of Lyon's quality, when we struggled against crap like Lille and F.C Copenhagen and you see no improvement. Yet you want to be taken seriously

You're memory isn't quite as good as you like to think. Perhaps your memory of the Milan game you constantly reference isn't quite as clear as you like to think either. Remind us again what was the score when we beat Valencia and Celtic away from home?
I suppose yours is better that tells you we never beat Deportivo home and away more than once between 2002 and 2004 in the champions league right? On top of us having a shit away record in Europe since 99

Nucks

RT History Department
I wouldn't say he is rubbish. Liam Miller, Djemba-Djemba were rubbish. Hargreaves has been decent, but I expect much more. Fair enough to say give him time, it's just that I'm not sure what to expect. What is his best? My memories of WC2006 are quite hazy now, but what I did know is that prior to the WC, Hargreaves was the England donkey and everyone would laugh and moan whenever Sven put him on the teamsheet. Hargreaves in Bayern I am not sure either, I always thought Demichelis was their 'hard man'.

Against Lyon I agree that he did alright. Pinning all the blame on him for Benzema's goal is probably harsh. However, to those who said he kept Juninho quiet I concur. Juninho may be their key man but he was never going to be a Kaka or a Messi, his most dangerous game is his set pieces and ironically, Hargreaves gave him a couple of opportunities by carelessly giving away fouls..
Hargreaves was played as a RB by Sven most of the time as a fill in for Neville. He rarely (if ever?) was brought on as a CM until the world cup. So the kid was being played out of position as a bandaid and he got lambasted by the fans and the press.

Finally when Sven got his head out of his ass and stopped playing Gerrard and Lampard together and gave Hargreaves a shot in CM the result was his form at WC06.

This is why I am skeptical of the people suggesting we should play him at RB. He wasn't anything special for England then at RB and that is where much of the hate for him Pre WC came from.

We also lost 2-0 away to Deportivo. the game at OT is irrelevant as we're discussing away form..
We beat that same side, that season at the Riazor 2-0. Yet his still escapes you

You made up us supposedly beating Valencia away from home along with beating Celtic.
Liek you made up our away record being shit in Europe since 99 and us not beating single Spanish side in Spain

You also fathomed up in a thread a while back that Hargreaves was the reason we romped our group despite only having played fifteen minutes in it. Explain that to me again.
You first explain how Spurs fell apart the season Carrick left and our defence imporved dramatically. Plus our shit form away from home in Europe since 99. Then I will have plenty to tell you.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
i think it's dangerous to buy in to the "he WILL 'improve' us in europe and we WILL win the CL with hargreaves now" hype that the media and many caftards are claiming. i am a hargreaves fan, but i feel that putting our CL hopes on his shoulders is a bit much as it's a team game.. i mean, rooney, ronaldo, and our back 4 must also play well.. it is a team game you know. i have a feeling that if we don't win the CL, all the hargreaves haters on here will call for his head.

he simply gives us another option of having a DM that may be useful in certain games, something we did not have for the past few seasons. it HELPS having one in the pursuit of CL glory, but it seems like most people here are expecting him alone to be the reason we win or don't win the CL.

Alex

i think it's dangerous to buy in to the "he WILL 'improve' us in europe and we WILL win the CL with hargreaves now" hype that the media and many caftards are claiming. i am a hargreaves fan, but i feel that putting our CL hopes on his shoulders is a bit much as it's a team game.. i mean, rooney, ronaldo, and our back 4 must also play well.. it is a team game you know. i have a feeling that if we don't win the CL, all the hargreaves haters on here will call for his head.

he simply gives us another option of having a DM that may be useful in certain games, something we did not have for the past few seasons. it HELPS having one in the pursuit of CL glory, but it seems like most people here are expecting him alone to be the reason we win or don't win the CL.
I don't

Status
Not open for further replies.