Hargreaves vs. Carrick, Feadingseagulls vs. Noodle, Chief (Bayern Fan!) vs. Logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

So according you, Einstein, Strikers and midfielders stop us from conceding goals?
Looks like a bit of a misrepresentation of what I said there.

I'm really not sure how to respond to that. Perhaps we should just leave 6 men on the halfway line then and leave all that defending nonsense to 5 players. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. That would work splendidly.

2Bullish

This thread is rediculous.

Hargreaves was brought in as the best defensive cover for the lack of Ferdinand. We did a job, we didn't concede and we won.

There are some seriously nitpicky twats on this forum.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That's not really true Chief. The best teams always defend as a team.
Defending as a team has nothing to do with stopping a team from conceding goals. You obviously know that. That fool over there was equating the task of stopping a team from conceding goals, to only the defence and a keeper defending in an 11 man side. Which was never what I did or said even.

Also, if it were true, it would render Hargreaves truly pointless since he does pretty much feck all in attack, thus pretty much defeating your own argument.
His job is to win the ball back and neutralize the opponents attacking midfielders. So that his back four has only striker and winger to deal with and no one else. Which is the shielding that the role is supposed to do. It's that simple.

Stopping goals from being conceded has never been part of his job description. Nor will it ever be.

Ekeke

If his job is to shield the defence but not to help them not conceed goals it explains why he's not very good.

acnumber9

I cant understand why an expensive midfielder would be sat in the stands and Fletcher start ahead of him

Hmmm
What, like when an expensive midfielder watched from the stands as Fletcher started against Arsenal?

I will expect an excellent point post from the Chief any minute now. Or perhaps a spot on.

Looks like a bit of a misrepresentation of what I said there.
No it's not. I said that its the sole responsibility of a defence and back four to stop goals being conceded. Simply defining their chief role on a football pitch. Nothing else. You however said that's bollocks because I'm allegedly saying "only the back four and the keeper defend":wenger:. So who's fecking responsibility is it then? And don't you dare come up with the bollocks that it's the job of of the entire team. Because it isn't. Or every outfield player would be called a defender.

I'm really not sure how to respond to that. Perhaps we should just leave 6 men on the halfway line then and leave all that defending nonsense to 5 players. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. That would work splendidly.
Yes. In your warped version of reality. In the real world. The keeper and defenders ensure have a job which is to ensure no goals are conceded. While the rest of the team, especially the holding midfielder, simply help out defensively. To make their job easier. But this is all too hard a concept for your brain to grasp.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Because he'll be starting the big match against Liverpool.
What, like when an expensive midfielder watched from the stands as Fletcher started against Arsenal?

I will expect an excellent point post from the Chief any minute now. Or perhaps a spot on.
:lol:

FFS...that was not even a serious post. I have already stated on the match day thread that Carrick is likely to start against Liverpool

Lizard was just being his spastic self as always. The likes of Essien, Keane, Gerrard and even Makelele have played at right back. Its probably because they arent world class too :rolleyes:

acnumber9

No it's not. I said it the sole responsibility of a defence and back four to stop goals being scored. Simply defining their chief role on a football pitch. Nothing else. You however said that's bollocks because I'm allegedly saying only the back four and the keeper defence. So who's fecking responsibility is it then? And don't you dare come up with the bollocks that it's the job of of the entire team. Because it isn't. Or every outfield player would be called a defender.

Yes. In your warped version of reality. In the real world. The keeper and defenders ensure no goals are conceded. While the rest of the team, especially the holding midfielder simply helps out defensively. To make the job easier. But this is all too hard a concept for your brain to grasp.
It was a misrepresentation, I never said that midfielders and strikers stop goals. I said if it was left soley to 5 men any team doing that would get mullered every week. I'll give you a scenario, a defender is caught out of position, is it not then the responsibility of Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves or whoever it may be to try and fill in for that defender and stop the opposition from scoring?

The defence holds the lions share of the responsibility for defending just like the strikers carry most of the expectation to score. However, to suggest a defence is soley responsible for defending is nonsense.

FFS...that was not even a serious post.
Irony is beyond his understanding

I have already stated on the match day thread that Carrick is likely to start against Liverpool

Lizard was just being his spastic self as always. The likes of Essien, Keane, Gerrard and even Makelele have played at right back. Its probably because they arent world class too :rolleyes:
Precisely

acnumber9

No it's not. I said that its the sole responsibility of a defence and back four to stop goals being conceded. Simply defining their chief role on a football pitch. Nothing else. You however said that's bollocks because I'm allegedly saying "only the back four and the keeper defend":wenger:. So who's fecking responsibility is it then? And don't you dare come up with the bollocks that it's the job of of the entire team. Because it isn't. Or every outfield player would be called a defender.

Yes. In your warped version of reality. In the real world. The keeper and defenders ensure have a job which is to ensure no goals are conceded. While the rest of the team, especially the holding midfielder, simply help out defensively. To make their job easier. But this is all too hard a concept for your brain to grasp.
By the way if the rest of the team help out how is it the sole responsibility of the defence?

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.

FFS...that was not even a serious post. I have already stated on the match day thread that Carrick is likely to start against Liverpool

Perhaps they were played at the back because there wasn't any other option?

Hmm, actually that would be too sensible for you're pathetic brain to comprehend.

It was a misrepresentation, I never said that midfielders and strikers stop goals..
The moment you said that it is nonsense for the main job of the defence and Keeper to be that of stopping a team from conceding goals, was the moment you claimed it as someone else responsibility. There are no two ways about it.

I I said if it was left soley to 5 men any team doing that would get mullered every week.
Which was you being stupid as usual. I have not said only the defence and Keeper should defend. I simply said it was their job to stop goals being
scored against their team. They have no other responsibility on a football pitch Which is a fact. Which isn't remotely connected to them defending all on their own.

The defence holds the lions share of the responsibility for defending
Which is what is said. They have no other responsibilty on the pitch.

However, to suggest a defence is soley responsible for defending is nonsense.
Thanks for stating the fecking obvious. No thanks for claiming I suggested that. For I never did. Nor will I ever

Sam

They had no injury problems when he played right back against us. Or against Valencia in the champions league
He originally played right back last season when they had major injury problems.

As it turned out, he was bloody amazing there, which isn't surprising given how good a player he is, and as a result, the manager continued to play him there.

ralphie88

Well on the plus side, it seems that Fergie is seeing the light with Hargreaves - shipped out to right back to rest others ahead of the Liverpool game. Bring him back to midfield when/if he finds some form.

Not sure I'd play him right back again though - I was actually looking forward to seeing him in that position as I thought he'd do a good job for us. But he looked very sluggish today. Is he carrying a knock or something cos he doesn't look as though he has any pace at all and I thought he was meant to have some? :confused:

acnumber9

The moment you said that it is nonsense for the main job of the defence and Keeper to be that of stopping a team from conceding goals, was the moment you claimed it as someone else responsibility. There are no two ways about it.

Which was you being stupid as usual. I have not said only the defence and Keeper should defend. I simply said it was their job to stop goals being
scored against their team. They have no other responsibility on a football pitch Which is a fact. Which isn't remotely connected to them defending all on their own.

Which is what is said. They have no other responsibilty on the pitch.

Thanks for stating the fecking obvious. No thanks for claiming I suggested that. For I never did. Nor will I ever
Yes you did.

He originally played right back last season when they had major injury problems.
Actually he used to play it for tactical reasons. Because he was amazing in the role, giving Chelsea an extra attacking dimension from deep, at the beginning of the second half or just late in games. . . It only became a bit permanent when injuries set in.

Sam

Actually he used to play it for tactical reasons. Because he was amazing in the role, giving Chelsea an extra attacking dimension from deep, at the beginning of the second half or just late in games. . . It only became a bit permanent when injuries set in.
I'm not sure that is correct.

But even if it is, he played there because he was better than anyone else they had or because they had no one else, not because they were trying to get him out of the centre of midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.