Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just throwing this out there. Assuming Sheik Jassim buys the club and we can afford a Chelsea Boehly type summer, is it beyond the realms of possibility to sign both Kane and Osimhen? I mean if we sell Martial who let's be honest really can't to stay fit for extended periods and not sign Wout, it will just be Kane, Osimhen and Rashford for the forward position. Rashford rarely plays upfront as the no. 9, and Kane can switch between 9 and deeper as a 10. There's easily enough games to go around for 3 forwards where 2 of which are quite versatile positionally.
Meanwhile back on planet earth

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's obviously got some stand out qualities, but watching Tarkowski accelerate away from him last night, that's got to be a huge red flag. I also felt like he did feck all useful last night, was also one of the players needlessly ceding possession against 10 men.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Wasn't he really good in that 3-0 at Old Trafford under Pochettino where Jose did his infamous respect rant in presser
Yeah I remember him playing well in that one. Mourinho was playing Herrera at CB just to make a point about not getting backed in the transfer window.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That is just laughably unrealistic though surely you realise that?

Ok name me any player that would do that for us? 10 years worth?
Quite obviously more than 2 or more than Kane is Osimhen who even if they left in 5 years they could be sold and money reinvested in another top striker.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

He's obviously got some stand out qualities, but watching Tarkowski accelerate away from him last night, that's got to be a huge red flag. I also felt like he did feck all useful last night, was also one of the players needlessly ceding possession against 10 men.
Never been known for his pace though to be fair.

croadyman

Of course, but it's something we're bemoaning of Weghorst, so I'd rather not have someone that slow leading the line.
When you finish like Kane it doesn't matter,however we do need pace around him

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Quite obviously more than 2 or more than Kane is Osimhen who even if they left in 5 years they could be sold and money reinvested in another top striker.
Not 10 years though is it…

Point is Kane could conservatively be a 20+ goal a season striker for the next 2/3 seasons which is plenty of time to win trophies in.

Kane is the most sure fire successful striker signing we could make I’d argue in world football.

I also really like Osimhen but he’s not what this side needs. Osimhen is a punctuation mark player. A world class one. But we need a link too.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think you send an offer to Levy that expires after two weeks.

£80m.

Take it or leave it.

Levy cannot drag the deal to deadline day and waste our time. We can also look at other options.

ROFLUTION

Doesn't Kane go missing in big games?
not if you look in premier league. He’s actually great in the league across almost any big opponent.

Sometimes missing in champions league, but his whole team has been missing/bottling it there, so it’s hard to pinpoint him out there imo.

croadyman

not if you look in premier league. He’s actually great in the league across almost any big opponent.

Sometimes missing in champions league, but his whole team has been missing/bottling it there, so it’s hard to pinpoint him out there imo.
Yeah how much of him not affecting some of those games is down to poor quality around him

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Of course, but it's something we're bemoaning of Weghorst, so I'd rather not have someone that slow leading the line.
That's fair but Kane has other qualities Weghorst doesn't such as his incredible passing.

He's not the best presser though if that's also the point you're making.

Last edited:

croadyman

That's fair but Kane has other qualities Weghorst such as his incredible passing.

He's not the best presser though if that's also the point you're making.
True but when he has that passing/playmaking ability combined with top class finisher I could live with no pace

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He has a terrible record for finals and semi finals both club and country.

Cassidy

Still saying buying RVP a mistake, which is nonsense.
We got a single season out of him and we’ve not had a quality striker since. Lewandowski is still one of the best strikers in the world.

Clearly the latter was the better investment. RVP still one of my favourite players though.

Baxquux

We got a single season out of him and we’ve not had a quality striker since. Lewandowski is still one of the best strikers in the world.

Clearly the latter was the better investment. RVP still one of my favourite players though.
Lewa might not have adapted quite as quickly as needed for that last season, but longer-term, yeah, I think the only half-rigorous argument about it - assuming that he didn't suffer the Bundesliga disease' that seems to particularly ail many of their signings in adapting to the league (which I think is an unlikely scenario, given his quality and attributes by 2013) - is an 'accelerationist' one. I.e. he might have papered over the cracks even more than already happened. And even that's probably a dubious line of reasoning, since we'd end up at the same place, maybe just with another trophy or two (another FA Cup, the EL, if we'd still failed to qualify for CL the previous season)...

It's frustrating to think more broadly though how many of these players we could have signed and were seriously in the conversation to sign, even with the Glazers, to the point where provisional deals were agreed or fees agreed that the club ended up spending elsewhere on (at least borderline) duds. That same transfer window, we could have signed Mousa Dembele for the same price as Kagawa - add to Thiago the following Summer (lined up by SAF, if dithery Moyes hadn't stalled and eventually allowed Bayern to step in) and Kroos the next Summer, and that's a midfield that carries through to the next 3 seasons once together and solves short-term issues. Other., far 'less suitable players were bought those same summers for same prices or more.

Likewise with united fan Fabinho, being offered to the club and quoted at a price slightly less than Matic ended up being and who could have replaced or alternated with Dembele by that point, Mane instead of De Pay, then Haaland when at Molde and Ole (pre-appointment) recommending him as one of the best young strikers he'd ever seen and the club lining up a deal before they screwed it and allowed Leipzig to finalize...

Cassidy

Lewa might not have adapted quite as quickly as needed for that last season, but longer-term, yeah, I think the only half-rigorous argument about it - assuming that he didn't suffer the Bundesliga disease' that seems to particularly ail many of their signings in adapting to the league (which I think is an unlikely scenario, given his quality and attributes by 2013) - is an 'accelerationist' one. I.e. he might have papered over the cracks even more than already happened. And even that's probably a dubious line of reasoning, since we'd end up at the same place, maybe just with another trophy or two (another FA Cup, the EL, if we'd still failed to qualify for CL the previous season)...

It's frustrating to think more broadly though how many of these players we could have signed and were seriously in the conversation to sign, even with the Glazers, to the point where provisional deals were agreed or fees agreed that the club ended up spending elsewhere on (at least borderline) duds. That same transfer window, we could have signed Mousa Dembele for the same price as Kagawa - add to Thiago the following Summer (lined up by SAF, if dithery Moyes hadn't stalled and eventually allowed Bayern to step in) and Kroos the next Summer, and that's a midfield that carries through to the next 3 seasons once together and solves short-term issues. Other., far 'less suitable players were bought those same summers for same prices or more.

Likewise with united fan Fabinho, being offered to the club and quoted at a price slightly less than Matic ended up being and who could have replaced or alternated with Dembele by that point, Mane instead of De Pay, then Haaland when at Molde and Ole (pre-appointment) recommending him as one of the best young strikers he'd ever seen and the club lining up a deal before they screwed it and allowed Leipzig to finalize...
I think you underestimate how good Lewan actually was/is to be perfectly honest.

Baxquux

I think you underestimate how good Lewan actually was/is to be perfectly honest.
No. I'm pretty sure he would have scored consistent amounts of goals, even in the poorer post '13 sides, averaging 30 a season across comps (the Bundesliga thing was slightly exaggerated/tongue in cheek, though we don't seem very lucky with Drtmund imports). It's more that with keeping United in the top four through that consistency, it might have been like Spurs with Kane ( I've seen a lot of them both, Lewa more for Poland mainly, because of family, and Kane for club and country, and I think Kane just about shades it for all round forward play and playmaking, but they're equal as finishers) but with even less investment or at least strategy, and with managers being kept way beyond their competency. With Lewandowski, Moyes maybe scrapes top 4, or Van Gaal, presuming he's still brought in, continues for another season despite the zombie football etc....

Cassidy

No. I'm pretty sure he would have scored consistent amounts of goals, even in the poorer post '13 sides, averaging 30 a season across comps (the Bundesliga thing was slightly exaggerated/tongue in cheek, though we don't seem very lucky with Drtmund imports). It's more that with keeping United in the top four through that consistency, it might have been like Spurs with Kane ( I've seen a lot of them both, Lewa more for Poland mainly, because of family, and Kane for club and country, and I think Kane just about shades it for all round forward play and playmaking, but they're equal as finishers) but with even less investment or at least strategy, and with managers being kept way beyond their competency. With Lewandowski, Moyes maybe scrapes top 4, or Van Gaal, presuming he's still brought in, continues for another season despite the zombie football etc....
You’re missing it. The Van Gaal team with a Lewandoski would have been a lot better, so would have Jose’s

Baxquux

You’re missing it. The Van Gaal team with a Lewandoski would have been a lot better, so would have Jose’s
No, I'm just partially disagreeing about the extent to which they would have been better. Kane also makes Tottenham a better side than they otherwise would be without him, for sure, but they haven't won anything. I already said that I think United would have won slightly more and finished consistently in CL places, but I think the structural issues around the club and recruitment (and the issues with particular managers above and beyond that) mean that even a Lewandowski rather than Lukaku or relying on ageing Rooney doesn't swing it as much as all that. So Jose and Solskjaer 2nd place seasons, modelled with Lewa as no. 9 , all else being equal, finish closer but still don't win the PL against City. Kane and Lew are both wonderful players but it's not Maradona in Napoli or, hypothetically, prime Messi in that same team where they can just win games not just single-handedly but consistently because of their particular set of as well as level of skills, with much inferior team-mates (and even there, are limitations, i.e. how long it took Argentina to win Word Cup) .... But agree to disagree

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don’t see signing Kane as a mutually exclusive event with your suggestion.

What do you think puts us back on that pathway if not a world class forward like Kane?
A top class striker for the next 10 years not 2
Not what I said. Rooney did though, quality signing.
See above. You said we need a top class striker for the next 10 years to put us on the pathway of success. I then told you no striker in world football would satisfy that. You suggest something that is nigh impossible.

Kane is the closest thing to guaranteed success money can buy and at worst you get 2/3 years of the best striker in the PL bar Haaland.

Not even Osimhen would be a 10 year striker for any side due to his reliance on pace and power which inevitably wane with age. Kane hasn’t ever been about either.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Lewandowski was not available for transfer in 2012. I don't understand what the mistake was.

Cassidy

Lewandowski was not available for transfer in 2012. I don't understand what the mistake was.
Your memory fails you, although I guess an Arsenal fan probably has no idea what Uniteds dealings were at the time.

Siorac

Your memory fails you, although I guess an Arsenal fan probably has no idea what Uniteds dealings were at the time.
Lewandowski said we wanted him and he was interested but Dortmund refused to let him go so it was never really 'on'.

Cassidy

Lewandowski said we wanted him and he was interested but Dortmund refused to let him go so it was never really 'on'.
We didn't push forward with any deal or test Dortmunds resolve at all, so we actually don't know that.

davidmichael

Outside of Rooney when was the last time we had a great striker for more than 5 years ? RVN comes to mind but the likes of RVP, Yorke, Tevez and Berbatov were all 2-3 years so I don’t get this fascination with us buying a striker to last a decade.

Personally I’d be happy with either Kane or Osimhen as they’re probably the two best strikers available this summer and both offer different qualities. Whichever ETH goes for I trust him but anyone who believes signing a younger striker means we’d get longer out of them than Kane is deluded, as soon as Real come calling they’d be off.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Outside of Rooney when was the last time we had a great striker for more than 5 years ? RVN comes to mind but the likes of RVP, Yorke, Tevez and Berbatov were all 2-3 years so I don’t get this fascination with us buying a striker to last a decade.

Personally I’d be happy with either Kane or Osimhen as they’re probably the two best strikers available this summer and both offer different qualities. Whichever ETH goes for I trust him but anyone who believes signing a younger striker means we’d get longer out of them than Kane is deluded, as soon as Real come calling they’d be off.
Does player want to stay in one club for decade nowadays? Same for Coach too it may be wise for a new challenge every 3 - 4 years to get himself motivated.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Even Rooney wasn't a great striker for us for more than 2-3 years even if he was a great player for much longer.

My hesitance with Kane is less about his age (although I don't love it) and more with his style and how it's evolved as he's aged. People love that he drops deep and can playmake these days but that Spurs team is built solely around him and everything is geared towards him. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's rarely looked that impressive for England with largely better personnel around him.

marktan

Even Rooney wasn't a great striker for us for more than 2-3 years even if he was a great player for much longer.

My hesitance with Kane is less about his age (although I don't love it) and more with his style and how it's evolved as he's aged. People love that he drops deep and can playmake these days but that Spurs team is built solely around him and everything is geared towards him. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's rarely looked that impressive for England with largely better personnel around him.
His play in the WC was very good for me, the skied penalty against France aside.

He'd be good in any team he goes to - that said like some other posters I would much rather prefer a younger striker like Osimhen.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not sure we can afford too many expensive short term options with little or no resale value, due to FFP

Teja

Kane is the most sure fire successful striker signing we could make I’d argue in world football.

I also really like Osimhen but he’s not what this side needs. Osimhen is a punctuation mark player. A world class one. But we need a link too.
This. He'd fit so well into our side. If we can get Kane + a playmaker next to Casemiro, we'd be genuine title contenders.