Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Look at the video how on earth is that zonal marking when 5 Utd players are in the one zone if you want to call it that leaving lindelof in his zone with at least two opposing players to deal with ?
He ran into an area he shouldnt have. We lacked organsation with 10 men and you would expect the captain and defensive leader to take control in that situation and realise he cant leave his mate at the far post with 3 players

Classical Mechanic

He ran into an area he shouldnt have. We lacked organsation with 10 men and you would expect the captain and defensive leader to take control in that situation and realise he cant leave his mate at the far post with 3 players
The goal keeper should be organising the defence primarily but someone should have picked up on it and him being captain should be next in line.

Been average since the lockdown. Seems to have the Carrick and Rooney about him that it takes him a good couple of months go get into top form, like we saw from him Nov/Dec onwards.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Look at the video how on earth is that zonal marking when 5 Utd players are in the one zone if you want to call it that leaving lindelof in his zone with at least two opposing players to deal with ?
Unfortunately its just that people cant admit their hero made a mistake.

AFC NimbleThumb

Every time this guys makes an error the same people talk about how he was bought for his leadership which bar telling Shaw to switch on a few games ago I’m yet to see on the pitch.

Yes he’s great at organising team trips to the cinema but he’s the one that [in particularly since the restart] is being nutmegged in the box, ran past as if he’s not existent, vacating an area in the box at a crucial corner.

Real leaders are pointing out to other players where the danger is; they’re not bundling themselves over their RB cause they’ve misread the flight of the ball. His job was to mark the space & by the time the ball hit the area he was occupying the exact same space as our RB - that’s horrendous defending.

People don’t want his transfer fee brought up so look at it as he was 56% of last summers transfer outlay & since getting an attacking player like a Bruno we’ve improved immeasurably; he was the wrong signing for the outlay.

Being an upgrade on Jones isn’t something to be championed for & he’s beginning to make Lindelof look comfortably the better player.

Stacks

He's a good defender. The issue is it was like spending 80million on Joeleon Lescott when we need a Stam/Rio/Campbell/Kompany.Someone who can form a title winning defence with a partner who isn't also world class but just very good/good. A Van Dijk in the current era. Signing Harry basically means we need to spend another 80mill to partner him with someone which is mad when you think about it.

Last edited:

el3mel

I don't get why his defenders can't just admit he played poor when he actually plays poor, instead of blaming everyone else in the defense and midfield for his own faults.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Every time this guys makes an error the same people talk about how he was bought for his leadership which bar telling Shaw to switch on a few games ago I’m yet to see on the pitch.

Yes he’s great at organising team trips to the cinema but he’s the one that [in particularly since the restart] is being nutmegged in the box, ran past as if he’s not existent, vacating an area in the box at a crucial corner.

Real leaders are pointing out to other players where the danger is; they’re not bundling themselves over their RB cause they’ve misread the flight of the ball. His job was to mark the space & by the time the ball hit the area he was occupying the exact same space as our RB - that’s horrendous defending.

People don’t want his transfer fee brought up so look at it as he was 56% of last summers transfer outlay & since getting an attacking player like a Bruno we’ve improved immeasurably; he was the wrong signing for the outlay.

Being an upgrade on Jones isn’t something to be championed for & he’s beginning to make Lindelof look comfortably the better player.
Every year we invent new trait for players. Leadership is new defending trait. United through and through for midfielders without skill. Working hard for attackers who can't score a goal. Knows the club and smiles a lot for managers.

Can't wait next year to see what we will invent next.

PoTMS

Woody obviously thought spunking VVD level money on him would somehow elevate Maguire up to his level. Not even fit to boot his laces. Such an overrated player and still can not believe we spent £135m on him and Wan Bissaka.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Woody obviously thought spunking VVD level money on him would somehow elevate Maguire up to his level. Not even fit to boot his laces. Such an overrated player and still can not believe we spent £135m on him and Wan Bissaka.
You want him to kick another man's laces?! Is this a fetish thing?!

AFC NimbleThumb

Every year we invent new trait for players. Leadership is new defending trait. United through and through for midfielders without skill. Working hard for attackers who can't score a goal. Knows the club and smiles a lot for managers.

Can't wait next year to see what we will invent next.
Don’t forget expecting more from the players makes you arrogant/spoilt/impatient.

I really think he’ll be battling it out with Lindelof to partner our next CB eventually.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't get why his defenders can't just admit he played poor when he actually plays poor, instead of blaming everyone else in the defense and midfield for his own faults.

No chance of that happening on here . I just do not get why they need to make constant excuses and blame everyone else bar him .

That was a shocking performance by all the defence tonight . The fact that people keep excusing Maguires faults and calling him a leader when he clearly isn't astounds me at times.

He gets singled out because we spent 80 million on him and he has not been any sort if upgrade on Smalling even let alone been worth the money .

We should have waited and went for Koulibaly .

Maguire has been exactly what i feared from day one and that is bang average at best

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Don’t forget expecting more from the players makes you arrogant/spoilt/impatient.

I really think he’ll be battling it out with Lindelof to partner our next CB eventually.
That will never happen. 80 mil defender and club captain doesn't go on the bench and can't be sold too because we can't get even half of fee for him. So it is happening what i feared when we bought him. We are stuck with him and we will sacrifice Lindelof who is clearly better defender, and buy new defender who "suits" Maguire.
Maguire is our new Smalling. Next 5 years we will argue here is he good enough or not.

Copa Mundial

The trouble for me is that he's a good defender but not an excellent one.

I'll be honest and say that I was initially delighted that we'd signed him, I thought he would be a superstar in a Utd shirt.

However a year later and I'm a little disappointed with him, I just expected a more accomplished and polished defender overall.

Revan

Assumptionman
Poor by his standards since the restart. He’s a good signing and is dependable but he’s looked shaky and clumsy since restart, lindelof is much better on the ball than him he just hasn’t got maguires confidence
What are his standards? He has been playing like this for years, just that the novelty and excitement of a new signing have worn off.

He is a good player, who should have cost 40m top, and be at best third choice. We got mugged by paying double his price and making him captain and leader.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's a good defender. The issue is it was like spending 80million on Joeleon Lescott when we need a Stam/Rio/Campbell/Kompany.Someone who can form a title winning defence with a partner who isn't also world class but just very good/good. A Van Dijk in the current era. Signing Harry basically means we need to spend another 80mill to partner him with someone which is mad when you think about it.
Nail on the head. Lescott is a very good comparison, indeed.

L1nk

Was never worth the 80m we paid and is your typical overhyped English player. We should have stayed well clear of him and shopped elsewhere for half the price, he's a good defender on his day, but that's all he is, good, he will never reach the level of world class you would expect for that price.

Why in god's name was he marking Wan Bissaka on that corner? We apparently bought him for his "leadership" of which I've seen very little of by the way except for platitudes in the press, and his exceptional heading ability, which I've yet to see beyond what a normal defender should be capable of doing.

I actually think Lindelof is the better defender when you consider the price we paid in comparison. People say we need to buy another defender to partner him but I would also suggest we may need to buy another on top of that to take his role too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Was never worth the 80m we paid and is your typical overhyped English player. We should have stayed well clear of him and shopped elsewhere for half the price, he's a good defender on his day, but that's all he is, good, he will never reach the level of world class you would expect for that price.

Why in god's name was he marking Wan Bissaka on that corner? We apparently bought him for his "leadership" of which I've seen very little of by the way except for platitudes in the press, and his exceptional heading ability, which I've yet to see beyond what a normal defender should be capable of doing.

I actually think Lindelof is the better defender when you consider the price we paid in comparison. People say we need to buy another defender to partner him but I would also suggest we may need to buy another on top of that to take his role too.
It's called a zonal marking not man marking. He's been given the task to do it everytime we are defending corner. If the ball didn't go into his direction, he can't head it clear. Matic was the one who supposed to head it clear while Lindelof should be goalside & not being outmuscle easily which is something we often see this happens.

crossy1686

career ending

He's a good defender and an improvement on what we had but he was never worth £70m and I think we all know that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you're telling me you never seen a team does mix zonal marking and man marking? Well, you need to watch more football then. My sunday league football does this when our tallest player who's good in the air does the zonal, nothing uncommon. Lindelof & DDG should be dealing with that shouting his team mate that there is another player unmarked. And they said nothing obviously, no communication.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The trouble for me is that he's a good defender but not an excellent one.

I'll be honest and say that I was initially delighted that we'd signed him, I thought he would be a superstar in a Utd shirt.

However a year later and I'm a little disappointed with him, I just expected a more accomplished and polished defender overall.
Agree. This was my initial view on the player and he's lived up to just that. I think he generally defenders well, dominates aerial dual for the most part, but essentially lacks the qualities that make for a top CB. He doesn't have the sort of focus, quick reaction time and ability to deal with one-on-one situation that a high quality CB should have. The issue with Maguire isn't that he is a bad CB, it's that spent 80 million which is an enormous fee, and we have Lindelof as our other starting CB, meaning we still need a top class CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agree. This was my initial view on the player and he's lived up to just that. I think he generally defenders well, dominates aerial dual for the most part, but essentially lacks the qualities that make for a top CB. He doesn't have the sort of focus, quick reaction time and ability to deal with one-on-one situation that a high quality CB should have. The issue with Maguire isn't that he is a bad CB, it's that spent 80 million which is an enormous fee, and we have Lindelof as our other starting CB, meaning we still need a top class CB.
Lucas Hernandez cost 70m while West Ham set 60m for Issa Diop last summer, that's just how it is, even an average defender cost 60m. We should have sign this guy when he was at Hull or spent the money on Van Dijk and instead we went on Lindelof. I don't know what was our scouts & Jose doing wasted 60m on Lindelof & Bailly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maguire had very poor game, his defending was poor, took too many unnecessary touches instead of playing the passes quickly when players had good amount of space. He really should step up, Maguire and Matic combination was a suicide today. Both had same problems, too many touches and didn't release the ball quickly. To make it worse, they both played close to each other.

Blaming him for the second goal is hilarious though, not surprised with few posts. Probably they are the same one who would be defending Lindelof and nothing against his poor defending for second goal. Everyone has their agendas, criticism, what they see in the game is very selective. Saying that Lindelof had better game, made some very important clearances.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's called a zonal marking not man marking. He's been given the task to do it everytime we are defending corner. If the ball didn't go into his direction, he can't head it clear. Matic was the one who supposed to head it clear while Lindelof should be goalside & not being outmuscle easily which is something we often see this happens.
It's so obvious but somehow people can't see it. Maguire was in his zone, Matic lost the header for flick on and then Lindelof was on the wrong side of the attacker.

Kostov

Wait a minute, are people going to pin this goal on Maguire solely? He failed to organize the defense as a captain he failed to take charge, but Christ, that's appalling bit of defending. First Rashford does not even jump, Matic completely late/missed the initial header, AWB blocking Maguire, DDG casual on his line and Lindelof completely on the wrong side of the attacker. Let's blubber about the 80m spent yet again. Pathetic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wait a minute, are people going to pin this goal on Maguire solely? He failed to organize the defense as a captain he failed to take charge, but Christ, that's appalling bit of defending. First Rashford does not even jump, Matic completely late/missed the initial header, AWB blocking Maguire, DDG casual on his line and Lindelof completely on the wrong side of the attacker. Let's blubber about the 80m spent yet again. Pathetic.
You don't need to be a captain to organise something like this to be honest. It's about communication and everyone should be communicating instead of being silent. If we want to mean business next season, we cannot rely on one player to be the only one who speaks on the pitch, these players need to step up. It's such a easy goal to be conceded. I've seen us conceded goals from corner & set play in Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra & VDS era but rarely we ever conceded from set pieces what I call easy goal.

hmchan

So you're telling me you never seen a team does mix zonal marking and man marking? Well, you need to watch more football then. My sunday league football does this when our tallest player who's good in the air does the zonal, nothing uncommon. Lindelof & DDG should be dealing with that shouting his team mate that there is another player unmarked. And they said nothing obviously, no communication.
Can't believe this conversation is still going on. It's obvious that most of the teams nowadays are using a mix of zonal and man marking, including us. Here's a Southampton's corner in the first half. It is clearly seen that we set up to mark the runners from the spot and leave other spaces to mark zonally. Shaw (Bednarek), Matic (Stephens) and Wan-Bissaka (Romeu) are on man marking duties.

Here comes the corner we've conceded and we set up in the exact same way, except that Pogba's zone is taken by Matic. James (Ings) and Wan-Bissaka (Stephens) are marking the runners from the spot while other spaces are defended zonally. Largest difference is that Bednarek doesn't start his run from the spot, which means he is left unmarked intentionally. He then outjumps Matic, gets the flick on and it is over.

I'm not a fan of Maguire, I don't want him to come at all but it's harsh to pin this goal on him. It's funny to see him end up tussling with Wan-Bissaka though.

Kostov

You don't need to be a captain to organise something like this to be honest. It's about communication and everyone should be communicating instead of being silent. If we want to mean business next season, we cannot rely on one player to be the only one who speaks on the pitch, these players need to step up. It's such a easy goal to be conceded. I've seen us conceded goals from corner & set play in Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra & VDS era but rarely we ever conceded from set pieces what I call easy goal.
Nah, I agree that teams have to have more than one leader, but when is rough I expect the captain to take charge and organize things, especially in a fragile team like ours that has proven to be bottlers of the highest order in recent years. Maguire should take blame for that goal, but people are first to beat him despite others making bigger feck ups on that goal. Bottom line he did not have the best game and he is the record signing, and I expect more from him, that what I expect from Lindelof for example.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Another stinker of a match from Harry. We will never win the league with Harry in the team, just not a top class centre half and while he did well early in the season, opposition teams seem to have found all of his vulnerabilities. It’s car crash stuff the last few weeks.

Jig1234

I'm not convinced Maguire is any better than Chris Smalling, when it comes to just basic defending. Winning headers, clearing the ball and aerial duels.

I wasn't expecting him to be amazing on the ball, but I was expecting him to be much better in aerial duels.

Fracture90

He will always be a liability for us. The fact that we're discussing another big money CB in order to get the best out from our £80 million signing says it all. If we get a speed demon next to him it won't help him get a better reading of the game or make him turn and be any quicker, it simply wont.

Him, Matic and Lindelof and the main reason why we can't really commit to playing on the front foot. Matic and Lindelof will get replaced, but will he?

ottosec

The weakest player in our starting eleven. Which is quite concerning, since he is club captain and a record signing, so we obviously won't replace him anytime soon. We can only hope that he will start to improve.

AFC NimbleThumb

He didn't have a great game. It is too early to make sweeping statements about him. Very knee jerk in here.
Since the restart he’s been culpable for 3 goals; every defender makes mistakes - top ones don’t make them every other week.

It’s not a sweeping statement to question his ability to move on the pitch or what his actual leadership qualities are outside the player whatsapp group.

How long do we have to wait to judge a player that should transform our defence but is actually becoming a liability?

Go back in this thread & he’s been questioned all year; knee jerk isn’t judging him over a near complete season.

Status
Not open for further replies.