Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If you replaced Maguire with Smalling in the team right now, do you think we would see a difference at all?
There is a way Ole wants his team to play and Smalling does not fit that profile. Yes, I do think Maguire is a better player than Smalling.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's the manager's fault of picking him, when Maguire's making mistakes. If you trace back, his dad is at fault also for not wearing protection. I'd even question why God created humankind at first place.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't forgot Lindelof covering for Maguire being caught out of position almost every game, yet he gets all the blame and is the one that needs to be 'upgraded'.

Maguire is the Teflon Don.
Yeah I mean Lindelof didn't lose Giroud for the first goal, and didn't bother closing down Mount for the 2nd after a pass aimed for him and he just stood there like a scarecrow.

Fair play though Maguire was for the 3rd after Lindelof failed to cover the front post (Y)

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Who do you suggest take his place? Before making such claims you need to have solutions.
I didn't believe that Maguire was a top level defender so, in the summer i advocated a short term option with Alderweireld if he was cheap. Considering i viewed Maguire as more of the same, I would have rather stuck with Smalling, and signed an attacker like Bruno instead.

Now though? That's what the scouts are for. Konate or Marquinhos would be dream targets.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What’s the alternative?

Bailly is never fit and can’t be relied upon on the pitch. Total renegade.

Jones is useless.

Tuanzebe is never fit.

We don’t have any other CB?
Smalling was the alternative,, too bad our best defender is at Roma. Now though, i agree he's here to stay. I'm just lamenting how we've got an £80m carthorse as captain.

RooneyLegend

Who can't turn him? How can he be big, slow and weak and yet people think he's a great defender? Ripped off once again.

Sultan

I didn't believe that Maguire was a top level defender so, in the summer i advocated a short term option with Alderweireld if he was cheap. Considering i viewed Maguire as more of the same, I would have rather stuck with Smalling, and signed an attacker like Bruno instead.

Now though? That's what the scouts are for. Konate or Marquinhos would be dream targets.
I applaud your football intelligence if that is the case.

Where would the finances come from to buy such targets and are they even available? I suggest you come back down to earth, bro.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Yes.

We’ve struggled with the high press. Imagine Smalling next to AWB - we’d just lose the ball constantly.
We're already losing it constantly aren't we? That wouldn't be anything new. That was my point, there hasn't been an upgrade at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Marquinhos is likely going to be PSG's captain, he isn't a target not even a dream one.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I applaud your football intelligence if that is the case.

Where would the finances come from to buy such targets and are they even available? I suggest you come back down to earth, bro.
Do you think i'm making it up? I posted the same in the summer when i heard we were targeting Maguire to begin with. The patronising is sad.

lsd

The Oracle
Its shocking how we have ran him into the ground. He plays 90 mins every game thrughout this

He is shocking thats all you needed to say instead of inventing yet more excuses for him

Sultan

Do you think i'm making it up? I posted the same in the summer when i heard we were targeting Maguire to begin with. The patronising is sad.
A massive number of posters were against signing Maguire. Again, you're assuming and reading my mind.

El Jefe

We were better off selling Smalling, releasing jones and signing two £45m CB's. Maguire at £80m was a ridiculous piece of business.

Nori-

No idea what's happened to him since the restart but he's been brilliant most of the season in my opinion.

Lets not forget how bad our defence has been the last few years. He's dragged us out of that. Our goals conceded in the Prem isn't far off Liverpools and many people consider their defence the best. Pair him with a another top defender, give him a good period off over the summer to recharge and he'll come back to his best.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Made Giroud look like prime Drogba tonight. Shocking. You know who wouldn't have gotten dominated like that? Chris fecking Smalling. Who this guy is supposedly miles better then...

Which other defender available last summer would you have gotten??
Add the £15m we wasted on James and we could have got Koulibaly.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm in the middle regarding him and accepted from the start his strengths and weaknesses, now we just need to find him a better partner than Lindelof.

Smalling from 5 years ago would've been ideal.
Good Lord! Smalling, and AWB on the right side of the defense. At that stage, teams wouldn't even bother pressing us with 6 players. Just man mark Maguire, Matic and Shaw and we would get stuck in our own half of the pitch for eternity.

AFC NimbleThumb

I genuinely can’t believe there are still people in here saying he’s had a good season overall.

You don’t win anything in August/September but you damn sure lose things in the latter part of the season.

Surely him excelling during a period where results were bad is telling. Since the restart [you know the most important part of the season] our leader has been consistently one of the worst performers & it’s not acceptable.

Lindelof & DDG have been dogsh*t aswell but that doesn’t excuse that Maguire has been terrible when we’ve needed him most. Base your analysis purely on what he does on the pitch instead of his Whatsapp group admin & draconian dunes for missing a p*ss up & the fact is he’s been underwhelming to say the least.

Had our attack not been firing where would our leader be taking us? Poor signing.

Mr.Plow

Surely we could have done a lot better with £80m? How much would Koulibaly have cost? Could end up being one of the most laughable transfer fees of all time.

Pretty dumb how he's just walked straight in to the captaincy too like he's some shit hot superstar

Canagel

Forgot he knocked out Baily too coming for nowhere to jump for a ball that wasn't there to be won. Why didn't he jump like that when we needed him to defend the last minute corner on the other day , the clown

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He has basic motor deficiencies for a professional player nevermind a 90M one

Revan

Assumptionman
Forgot he knocked out Baily too coming for nowhere to jump for a ball that wasn't there to be won. Why didn't he jump like that when we needed him to defend the last minute corner on the other day , the clown
He actually did. He even used AWB's back to jump higher. Of course, he missed the ball. And Lindelof then finished the shitshow by letting an easy goal in (though to be fair to him, he was one vs three considering that Maguire totally left his position).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I genuinely can’t believe there are still people in here saying he’s had a good season overall.

You don’t win anything in August/September but you damn sure lose things in the latter part of the season.

Surely him excelling during a period where results were bad is telling. Since the restart [you know the most important part of the season] our leader has been consistently one of the worst performers & it’s not acceptable.

Lindelof & DDG have been dogsh*t aswell but that doesn’t excuse that Maguire has been terrible when we’ve needed him most. Base your analysis purely on what he does on the pitch instead of his Whatsapp group admin & draconian dunes for missing a p*ss up & the fact is he’s been underwhelming to say the least.

Had our attack not been firing where would our leader be taking us? Poor signing.
I agree with pretty much every word. Honestly, I am going to stop posting in this thread cos I never have anything good to say about our pound shop John Terry.

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree with pretty much every word. Honestly, I am going to stop posting in this thread cos I never have anything good to say about our pound shop John Terry.
Terry was a shitcnut but he was a very good player. I would never say a single bad word for Maguire if he becomes half the player Terry was.

E-mal

He shouldnt be our captain, we should have given it temporary and re-evaluate it at the end of the season.

This guy has major issues and next season, he will be targeted.

Our defense has not been fixed at all and I genuinely cannot see any elite player in that back line.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I did attempt to warn people in the Summer he wasn't all that. Don't get me wrong, he's a better footballer than Smalling, Bailly and Jones (personally I think Smalling is the better defender) and he has been an improvement to our first team. He isn't however an 80m improvement. Still, i'll be giving him till half way through next season before I really start critising as I always feel new signings need 18months to really settle. But feck me he's frustrating. :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You know what, he’s had more good games than bad ones. At least he shows some leadership and tries to make things happen.

Thought he looked very shook up by the Bailly injury

Status
Not open for further replies.