Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

We need to get him a new partner, preferably someone quicker. Quick dynamic attacks are going to have us in trouble. Though he did as well as we could ask him to given his qualities.

Ban

Shape of him running back when they attacked late on . At least 5 Wolves players passed him with ease . He is just so utterly slow . 80 million for that is a joke . Terrible buy and nothing is going to change that no matter how much posters here want to believe it
Are you some kind of Redcafe mascot?

Ban

Didn't VDV go nearly a whole season without getting dribbled past? Well, our world record fee CB just got sat on his arse by the Mexican Wolves striker. In the second match.
Thats it then. :(
That VVD 'statistic' is laughable.

Halftrack

Didn't VDV go nearly a whole season without getting dribbled past? Well, our world record fee CB just got sat on his arse by the Mexican Wolves striker. In the second match.
Well feck, guess that means Maguire is flop of the season, and a definite bust. At least we found out early.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'd like to see him play alongside Smalling. I feel we'd be a lot less chaotic defensively, although we'd probably lose a bit of edge playing slowly out from the back. At the moment, I don't see that as a huge problem as our midfield is still not good enough to make full use of quick transitions. It looks good on the eye playing out from the back like this, but is really just a risky way of keeping possession when it doesn't amount to any actual attacks.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Don't agree. Think DDG's short passing gs with Maguire and Lindelof has been fine so far.
It has been fine, but there was one from Maguire late in the 2nd half that was under hit and was a bit of a close call.

But generally our playing out from the back has improved alot. Still not great, but a whole lot better.

A-man

I'd like to see him play alongside Smalling. I feel we'd be a lot less chaotic defensively, although we'd probably lose a bit of edge playing slowly out from the back. At the moment, I don't see that as a huge problem as our midfield is still not good enough to make full use of quick transitions. It looks good on the eye playing out from the back like this, but is really just a risky way of keeping possession when it doesn't amount to any actual attacks.
I honestly didn't see any chaos between the CBs today.

A-man

It has been fine, but there was one from Maguire late in the 2nd half that was under hit and was a bit of a close call.

But generally our playing out from the back has improved alot. Still not great, but a whole lot better.
Yes agree, that pass was not the best. What I mean is that it looks good between the CBs and DDG even under pressure. I'm a bit surprised in a good way, as DDG last season was not the best with his feet. But maybe it was mostly long balls he missed.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I honestly didn't see any chaos between the CBs today.
For what its worth, I don't think it was all that chaotic considering we played without a DM and everyone ran back but I feel we could have calmed a few situations down instead of panicking like we did. I feel a stronger and quicker defender could have quickly gotten the ball 1vs1 out on the right side a few times when Bissaka was caught out, kept the ball in play.

Ekeke

Had a couple of off moments, but still the best of our back 4 today probably. I just wish we got £80 million's worth out of our investment, instead of a small improvement

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Had a couple of off moments, but still the best of our back 4 today probably. I just wish we got £80 million's worth out of our investment, instead of a small improvement
I would rather have Maguire in the side than not, so if he cost £80 million, then so be it. For what it's worth, I don't think he's worth that money, but if he hadn't been there tonight, we may well have lost that match.

Ekeke

I would rather have Maguire in the side than not, so if he cost £80 million, then so be it. For what it's worth, I don't think he's worth that money, but if he hadn't been there tonight, we may well have lost that match.
And Rojo might have scored the winner if he was playing instead. We don't know

He's better at both on the ball and defending overall than Lindelof. So he's an improvement. But I think unless Tuanzabe comes in and makes the spot his own this season, we're still going to have a less than impressive defensive record and still be looking to spend money to improve our CBs. I think thats pretty poor when we just spent £80 million on a CB.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn't think he put a foot wrong tonight.

criticalanalysis

For what its worth, I don't think it was all that chaotic considering we played without a DM and everyone ran back but I feel we could have calmed a few situations down instead of panicking like we did. I feel a stronger and quicker defender could have quickly gotten the ball 1vs1 out on the right side a few times when Bissaka was caught out, kept the ball in play.
I know (I hope I got this right lol) you're bit of a Smalling apologist but I would agree in this instance. Smalling sweep/press high, Maguire to bring the ball out, play more forward passes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure where all the hate is from? Typical redcafe as usual but they kept 2 dangerous strikers very quiet.

1 header is all they got all game. I don’t remember de Gea every being so quiet in a hard match.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Good Premier League defender by all standards.
Nowhere near Van Dijk.
Is Maguire worth 85 mill? Nope.
Feck me.

The VVD comparisons are pointless. VVD is the best CB in the world, and no one knew how good he was until he stepped up at Liverpool.

Also, people bemoaning the price have no idea how value is determined.

Ekeke

Feck me.

The VVD comparisons are pointless. VVD is the best CB in the world, and no one knew how good he was until he stepped up at Liverpool.

Its determined by who is stupid enough to pay it.

Ekeke

Both ourselves and Leicester have played against Wolves and Chelsea so far this season. We've both conceded 1 goal.

Chelsea hit the post and bar against us, Wolves hit the inside of the post against us. We're very lucky that we have that 1 and that it isnt at least 2.

Leicester sold their best CB for £80 million. We bought one for £80 million. Currently 2 matches in they arent really missing him and our defense leaves something to be desired. Still looks like he might be our best CB overall but hes only improved our defense a little bit.

RedDevilSwe

Supports
Liverpool
I mean he’s decent but no way he’s worth 85M.

Does all the basics but nothing extraordinary which you’d expect from a player that expensive.

Bojan11

Both ourselves and Leicester have played against Wolves and Chelsea so far this season. We've both conceded 1 goal.

Chelsea hit the post and bar against us, Wolves hit the inside of the post against us. We're very lucky that we have that 1 and that it isnt at least 2.

Leicester sold their best CB for £80 million. We bought one for £80 million. Currently 2 matches in they arent really missing him and our defense leaves something to be desired. Still looks like he might be our best CB overall but hes only improved our defense a little bit.
2 games in ffs. Leicester will concede more goals than us and Evans couldn’t make the grade here because he was a liability half the time.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
A couple of dodgy passes doesn't get away from the fact that Jota and Jimenez were extremely quiet.

We lost control in midfield, where Maguire stepped into countless times. Pogba was sloppy and McTominay mastered the sideways pass all night, with Lingard just buzzing around flattering to deceive in that second half.

The draw isnt on Maguire, and the goal we conceded took real quality to breach us.

Irwin99

Other than a bad backpass which just about reached De Gea I thought he was very strong again. Came out of defence with the ball a lot and had better passing accuracy than our midfielders. Don't really understand the complaints on here.

Also the free kick before their goal seemed really soft. Maybe i'm wrong but I couldn't believe it was a foul at the time.

Dante

Average bang
Other than a bad backpass which just about reached De Gea I thought he was very strong again. Came out of defence with the ball a lot and had better passing accuracy than our midfielders. Don't really understand the complaints on here.

Also the free kick before their goal seemed really soft. Maybe i'm wrong but I couldn't believe it was a foul at the time.
I don't think it was a freekick.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If anyone watched that and thought there were genuine grounds to criticise him after that, please stop watching football.

SambaBoy

Thought he was solid for the most part. Few mistakes such as Jimenez skimming him, the back pass and the unnecessary foul on Traore but apart from that, his passing was assured and he mopped up quite a few dangerous chances for Wolves.

What is probably not recognised on here is his anticipation of danger. Wolves got in behind or cut the ball back into dangerous areas numerous times and Maguire was there to clear. His positioning and anticipation are some of his best attributes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I know (I hope I got this right lol) you're bit of a Smalling apologist but I would agree in this instance. Smalling sweep/press high, Maguire to bring the ball out, play more forward passes.
We'll i'm not just saying stuff to say it, it is my opinion so feel free to agree. When you think about the experience in defence then that partnership makes the most sense. You could still argue he is our best defensive player, and while he does have his faults, he has never been paired with another solid player these last few years, and certainly not a left CB who can pass. A lot of chopping and changing usually. I do like Lindelof, but I'm going to say that I have much more faith in the possibility of a Chris-Harry partnership. Makes a lot of sense to pair them up with their different set of skills.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feck me.

And Liverpool have conceded in every game they've played this season. 4 in 3 games in fact. People need to calm the feck down. Our defence has started excellently. Our midfield left them exposed against Chelsea but it took a wonder strike for Wolves to get a lucky draw last night. Good start imo for the defence.

kiristao

I thought he had a good game. I am much more confident with him at CB than anyone else we have had in 5 years. Lindelof has looked so much better with him alongside as well. Most of our defensive problems came when he had to go out wide to cover for Shaw who kept losing out to Traore.
Also, people need to Stop this nonsense about how he should be doing more because we paid 85 ml. The same people would have been critical of Woodward for not spending the sh*t load of money we make if he had paid 50million for someone who turned out to be another Bailey or Rojo.
Has he improved or defense? Yes.
Do we have the funds to over pay? Yes.
Do you really know for sure that there was someone available and willing to come for lesser or as much and we didnt buy them? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.