Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redpatron

not surprised, negative result and Chris Smelling’s fan girls rush out to criticize Maguire.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What's with the caveman responses to a couple of moments from his game on here today? Once again he came close to being our man of the match. Rock solid. Shifted the Wolves - United possession into United's favour for the first time in the 4 recent games with them. Pogba actually has confidence passing him a ball. Compare the amount of own half passes vs opponent half passes from pogba in the last season games.

He's added a whole dynamic to our game that has been missing ever since we lost Rio. Rio was a master at controlling the game from the back like Harry is doing for us. Keep ball by confident CBs = come press us ie let us counter you.

Classical Mechanic

And Liverpool have conceded in every game they've played this season. 4 in 3 games in fact. People need to calm the feck down. Our defence has started excellently. Our midfield left them exposed against Chelsea but it took a wonder strike for Wolves to get a lucky draw last night. Good start imo for the defence.
VVD also made loads of mistakes when he first signed for Liverpool but they were overlooked for the other things that he added.

Other than a bad backpass which just about reached De Gea I thought he was very strong again. Came out of defence with the ball a lot and had better passing accuracy than our midfielders. Don't really understand the complaints on here.

Also the free kick before their goal seemed really soft. Maybe i'm wrong but I couldn't believe it was a foul at the time.
It was a dive. Maguire pulled out but the ball bought the freekick.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not sure about this thread, he had a decent game, we were fine defensively aside from a 10 minutes spell

A-man

Both ourselves and Leicester have played against Wolves and Chelsea so far this season. We've both conceded 1 goal.

Chelsea hit the post and bar against us, Wolves hit the inside of the post against us. We're very lucky that we have that 1 and that it isnt at least 2.

Leicester sold their best CB for £80 million. We bought one for £80 million. Currently 2 matches in they arent really missing him and our defense leaves something to be desired. Still looks like he might be our best CB overall but hes only improved our defense a little bit.
The biggest difference is that United have 4 points and 5-1 score after those two matches, and Leicester 2 points and a 1-1 goal score. But what do you mean with not being missed at Leicester? You think their central defence looks good? I thought it was a bit of a mess against Chelsea. Didnt watch their first match though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The biggest difference is that United have 4 points and 5-1 score after those two matches, and Leicester 2 points and a 1-1 goal score. But what do you mean with not being missed at Leicester? You think their central defence looks good? I thought it was a bit of a mess against Chelsea. Didnt watch their first match though.
Leicester would have been beaten by Wolves but for a VAR decision, which like the City one, was ridiculous. Our defence looks a lot better with Harry in it and AWB and that is giving DDG confidence as well. It took a worldie goal to get a point for Wolves last night.

Both ourselves and Leicester have played against Wolves and Chelsea so far this season. We've both conceded 1 goal.

Chelsea hit the post and bar against us, Wolves hit the inside of the post against us. We're very lucky that we have that 1 and that it isnt at least 2.

Leicester sold their best CB for £80 million. We bought one for £80 million. Currently 2 matches in they arent really missing him and our defense leaves something to be desired. Still looks like he might be our best CB overall but hes only improved our defense a little bit.
They definaltey miss him, their defence looks shaky without him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think he makes a world of difference to our defence that’s clear

Only thing that irritates me is the amount of times him and lindelof pass it between themselves when we need a bit more urgency

Classical Mechanic

Wolves's xG against us was 0.3, they didn't create any good chances. Leicester have a pretty low xG against over the past two games but they've been playing both Ndidi and Choudhury, two defensive midfielders to protect their defence. It helps explain why their xG for is low too. They've approached their first two games to ensure they don't lose them. Not a bad strategy considering who they were playing.

https://understat.com/team/Manchester_United/2019

https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2019

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Was Motm for me last night. Calm assured and his positioning is great. Compared to what we've seen over the last six years he's a really great signing.

abailey123

He’s absolutely quality. The difference in us playing out from the back is light years and it’s only going to continue to improve with more games for him and Lindelof to develop a partnership.
His leadership is something we’ve missed since the days of Vida and Rio and with about 5 mins to go he’s ripped into one of our midfielders. We need leaders and in Harry we have one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had good game and the composure he brought to the defense is unreal. It's like players are happy to pass the ball to him knowing he is good on the ball.

Also played very good pass breaking the lines, which was wrongly called offside. Huge improvement on what we had before.

Ofcourse Wolves created few chances in that 2-3 mins period, if we go by that logic, there is no good CB ever.

norm87cro

I thought he had a good game. I am much more confident with him at CB than anyone else we have had in 5 years. Lindelof has looked so much better with him alongside as well. Most of our defensive problems came when he had to go out wide to cover for Shaw who kept losing out to Traore.
Also, people need to Stop this nonsense about how he should be doing more because we paid 85 ml. The same people would have been critical of Woodward for not spending the sh*t load of money we make if he had paid 50million for someone who turned out to be another Bailey or Rojo.
Has he improved or defense? Yes.
Do we have the funds to over pay? Yes.
Do you really know for sure that there was someone available and willing to come for lesser or as much and we didnt buy them? No.
This

roonster09

Scout
Wolves's xG against us was 0.3, they didn't create any good chances. Leicester have a pretty low xG against over the past two games but they've been playing both Ndidi and Choudhury, two defensive midfielders to protect their defence. It helps explain why their xG for is low too. They've approached their first two games to ensure they don't lose them. Not a bad strategy considering who they were playing.

https://understat.com/team/Manchester_United/2019

https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2019
Last season there was panic anytime Wolves attacked us, this time we defended well and in most cases we won the ball before they created the chance. It was huge change from last season.

Classical Mechanic

Last season there was panic anytime Wolves attacked us, this time we defended well and in most cases we won the ball before they created the chance. It was huge change from last season.
AWB completely bossed Jota and Maguire and Lindelof handled the other lad for the most part. There was that period when Troure came on and he rinsed Shaw for 10 minutes which led to the goal ultimately but that was about it.

roonster09

Scout
AWB completely bossed Jota and Maguire and Lindelof handled the other lad for the most part. There was that period when Troure came on and he rinsed Shaw for 10 minutes which led to the goal ultimately but that was about it.
Yeah, Doherty injury and Traore coming in changed the game, he pushed them higher up the pitch as his pace was too much to handle. Overall we did really well and huge improvement on last season.

Many teams will drop points against Wolves away like last season. They are tough team to beat and play against. Very good organized team and tactically drilled team.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, Doherty injury and Traore coming in changed the game, he pushed them higher up the pitch as his pace was too much to handle. Overall we did really well and huge improvement on last season.

Many teams will drop points against Wolves away like last season. They are tough team to beat and play against. Very good organized team and tactically drilled team.
If you look at the same fixture last season game their xG was 1.65 with Young getting sent off and Smalling scoring an OG!

https://understat.com/match/9517

Bestietom

Wolves will take points from the top teams here. We done well, but should have picked up all 3 points.
We still seem to relax when we score first, instead of trying to kill off games by scoring more.

roonster09

Scout
If you look at the same fixture last season game their xG was 1.65 with Young getting sent off and Smalling scoring an OG!

https://understat.com/match/9517
Yeah, I checked that few hours back. Not only us, so many teams conceded chances against them.

Wolves against big 6.

2018-19
Wolves Vs City
xG: 1.2 - 1.8
Shots on target: 2 - 6

Wolves Vs Spurs
xG: 2.4 - 1.6
Shots on target: 7 - 8

Wolves Vs Chelsea
xG: 0.6 vs 1.1
Shots on target: 2 - 3

Wolves Vs Liverpool
xG: 0.7 - 2.1
Shots on target: 5 - 6

Wolves Vs ManUtd
xG: 1.6 vs 2
Shots on target: 2- 4

Wolves Vs Arsenal
xG: 0.9 vs 0.9
Shots on target: 3 - 1

2019-20
Wolves vs ManUtd
xG : 0.3 - 1.15
Shots on target: 2 - 2

We did really well in restricting them, also going by the xG model, almost every team struggled against them except Liverpool.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not sure where all the hate is from? Typical redcafe as usual but they kept 2 dangerous strikers very quiet.

1 header is all they got all game. I don’t remember de Gea every being so quiet in a hard match.
Someone is talking sense.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This was unbelievably noticeable, I think it even transferred to Dave's kicking, which I seem to be remembering was shite that game? Might be making that up.

roonster09

Scout
This was unbelievably noticeable, I think it even transferred to Dave's kicking, which I seem to be remembering was shite that game? Might be making that up.
I don't remember his kicking but defenders trust each other now. Obviously we have to improve but the change is very noticeable. At times Maguire even stepped into midfield zone and was breaking lines with his passes.

He has been good improvement and I believe he has even more to offer.

A-man

Leicester would have been beaten by Wolves but for a VAR decision, which like the City one, was ridiculous. Our defence looks a lot better with Harry in it and AWB and that is giving DDG confidence as well. It took a worldie goal to get a point for Wolves last night.
Yes I would definitely say it looks like United defence has been upgraded. But let's wait another 5-7 matches and then we'll see how good or bad it is. Hopefully it will only improve.

Alabaster Codify7

Maguire was pretty good. Not amazing, but good. Same as my opinion after the last game. He's settling in just nicely and by the summer he'll have proven worthy of the price-tag, I'm sure.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't remember his kicking but defenders trust each other now. Obviously we have to improve but the change is very noticeable. At times Maguire even stepped into midfield zone and was breaking lines with his passes.

He has been good improvement and I believe he has even more to offer.
Yeah this was great. As Rio mentioned when talking about him, when he creates the overload, he creates opportunities for midfielders and forwards. He can actually find a player with his passes as well.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah this was great. As Rio mentioned when talking about him, when he creates the overload, he creates opportunities for midfielders and forwards. He can actually find a player with his passes as well.
Yeah, he is positive player on the ball. Hopefully as a team we will benefit from his game.

For the first time in years I have lot of confidence on the defense, especially when it comes to showing composure on the ball.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes I would definitely say it looks like United defence has been upgraded. But let's wait another 5-7 matches and then we'll see how good or bad it is. Hopefully it will only improve.
They would be even better with a decent midfield in front of them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Surprised at some of the criticism as I thought he was good again.

I think he makes a world of difference to our defence that’s clear

Only thing that irritates me is the amount of times him and lindelof pass it between themselves when we need a bit more urgency
I get what you mean but when you look at what's in front of them in midfield in McTominay and Lingard, I think they know that if they pass it to them in a tight area we're bound to lose possession of it'll just come straight back

We need some midfielders who can receive balls in tight spaces/with an opposition player on them and be able to shield the ball, or dribble/carry it forwards.

Sylar

Hes not just a 'little' better than what we had, hes a huge improvement. Because of the fact he can command and play with his feet. He had that one moment where before they scored, he just smashed it for a corner. But other than that, so glad we dont have smalling instead. Can see the difference Maguire brings especially when you look at DDG passing to him (and lindelof) and how we dont have midfielders sitting on them all the time to babysit

Ekeke

I just meant that they arent suddenly far worse defensively. They werent great defensively last season with him and they arent great defensively this season without him, but thus far they haven't looked like they just lost an £80 million CB. They look relatively similar to last season

A-man

I just meant that they arent suddenly far worse defensively. They werent great defensively last season with him and they arent great defensively this season without him, but thus far they haven't looked like they just lost an £80 million CB. They look relatively similar to last season
Ok got you. I should admit I didn't watch much of Leicester's games last season, but I watched last game against Chelsea and remember thinking that the central defence was a bit of a mess sometimes, and wondering if this was because they lost Maguire. But maybe it was like that last season as well.

He will surely be made Captain in the summer when Young leaves.

Bestietom

He can only improve with games and growing an understanding with the players around him. It's nice to have a leader in defence again.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Because they have a defence which is very much protected by the midfielders. If we have a mobile DM like Ndidi , our CB stats also would look much different.

Overall I am quite happy with him. He struggles against pacy and skilled forwards but he will bring that much needed calmness in that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.