Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He was good but that pass was terrible, I think he had Maguire behind him, or he could've hoofed it. If you're gonna play a lateral pass at that area of the field, it has to be accurate and that was loose. So definitely on him, though overall he was good (though I found him less comfortable than mid-week, which makes sense given he was played on the left).
Pogba played the ball back to him, but behind him, so he was facing his own goal, so really couldn't hoof it, but yes, he could have passed back to Maguire. I'm assuming that Ole wants them to pass their way out of trouble, so that could be why he tried that pass, he will learn from that, but if he's still doing that after 15 to 20 matches then I would be concerned.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
They're not exclusive. If you'd scored more goals you'd have conceded far more as well.
That does not many any kind of sense, but perhaps you can elaborate?

GA is not a typical inicator of GF. The only causal link is the rather obvious fact that top teams that score a lot also have equally great players in the back, combined with possession data. Link those and you can make a reasonable GA dataset.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't think we're playing anything different to Mourinho's system. Deep defensive line, 2 flat CMs protecting the back 4, 2 defensive full backs (when Shaw's fit).
Maybe the system, but overall I think we're more open than we were under Jose. If anything, I feel we should be conceding more goals, all things being equal - except they're not, as our defence has drastically improved over the summer.
Pogba played the ball back to him, but behind him, so he was facing his own goal, so really couldn't hoof it, but yes, he could have passed back to Maguire. I'm assuming that Ole wants them to pass their way out of trouble, so that could be why he tried that pass, he will learn from that, but if he's still doing that after 15 to 20 matches then I would be concerned.
Oh I'm not really criticizing Tuanzebe's motivations, I'm sure they have instructions to pass it out, it was just objectively a poor sloppy pass. It happens, unfortunate it led to a goal but c'est la vie.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Maybe the system, but overall I think we're more open than we were under Jose. If anything, I feel we should be conceding more goals, all things being equal - except they're not, as our defence has drastically improved over the summer.

Oh I'm not really criticizing Tuanzebe's motivations, I'm sure they have instructions to pass it out, it was just objectively a poor sloppy pass. It happens, unfortunate it led to a goal but c'est la vie.
C'est la vie indeed.

Ekeke

Sheffield United, Crystal Palace and City all have the same defensive record as us while Liverpool and Leicester have better.

A goal a game average would be okay if we averaged 2 goals a game going forward or more. We average slightly more goals than conceding but not 2 or more per match.

Liverpool have twice our goals, City thrice as many, Chelsea 5 more. We were pretty bad going forward before Ole's summer changes, somehow we're doing much worse.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think he has been outstanding for us (apart from the first Palace goal), has organised the defence very well. Smalling, although I rated him as a decent defender, is not a leader like Maguire, and got caught out occasionally with crosses (I remember Maguire scoring for Leicester against us in the last minute from a cross that Smalling had let go).
Smalling was trying to finish that match while injured (as we had already used all our subs). He didn't let the ball go; he was physically unable to get to it because of the injury.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
How did you work that one out?
You concede so few and create so little in the way of chances because you're a very conservative side that tries to protect its back four at all costs while leaving three pacey forwards to do what they like.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
That does not many any kind of sense, but perhaps you can elaborate?

GA is not a typical inicator of GF. The only causal link is the rather obvious fact that top teams that score a lot also have equally great players in the back, combined with possession data. Link those and you can make a reasonable GA dataset.
I don't want to quote the five people who took issue with what I said, but you're a very conservative side with weaknesses in defence and midfield, so you keep things as tight as possible at the back and hope that counter attacks work out well for you. Solskjaer's not a very expansive and confident manager right now.

Adamsk7

How anyone can’t see his obvious class is beyond me. He’s head and shoulders (literally) better than any defender we’ve had since Rio and Vidic. He’s so composed on the ball, wins every header, his distribution is first class and I love the way he brings the ball forward and starts attacks. Last night even his shot was good. I honestly think if we played him in midfield or attack he’d do a better job than what’s there currently because he’s just a natural footballer.

so glad he’s on our team. My player of the season so far and I hope he keeps it up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't want to quote the five people who took issue with what I said, but you're a very conservative side with weaknesses in defence and midfield, so you keep things as tight as possible at the back and hope that counter attacks work out well for you. Solskjaer's not a very expansive and confident manager right now.
I know that you might believe that, but fact of the matter is that we've ran possession in most of our games this season. Of course we're dangerous on the counter, any respective team wants to be. But we have the ball and build a lot more play than you seem to give the team credit for. We're 7th in passes completed so far this season. That is not an indicative of a team that relies only on counterattacking.

We have one weakness in defense, his name is Ashley Young. Our healthy defense is one of the best in the league. Indicative of this is the 1 GA pg.

dbs235

He, Wan Bissaka and James have been the consistently good performers so far this season.

I have no complaints about him.
Agreed, we actually made good transfers this summer, the problem is we didn't make enough of them.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sheffield United, Crystal Palace and City all have the same defensive record as us while Liverpool and Leicester have better.

A goal a game average would be okay if we averaged 2 goals a game going forward or more. We average slightly more goals than conceding but not 2 or more per match.

Liverpool have twice our goals, City thrice as many, Chelsea 5 more. We were pretty bad going forward before Ole's summer changes, somehow we're doing much worse.
We have an xga of 5,53. 0,79 per game. We have conceded 7 goals in 7 games. Last season we had an xga of 52,30 in 38 games. 1,38 per game. It is a reduction of 42 % in xga per game and 30 % in goals conceded per game.

Last season we had an xg of 1,80 per game. This year we have an xg 1,60 per game. While this is a reduction of 11 % it is probably more due to the loss of Herrera than a more defensive style (his importance for us was underrated, just look at his xgbuildup90). I think its fair to say that we have less quality and options in attack this year than last after losing Herrera, Sanchez and Lukaku. The numbers from last year are also perhaps a bit inflated from the great form after Mourinho left.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I know that you might believe that, but fact of the matter is that we've ran possession in most of our games this season. Of course we're dangerous on the counter, any respective team wants to be. But we have the ball and build a lot more play than you seem to give the team credit for. We're 7th in passes completed so far this season. That is not an indicative of a team that relies only on counterattacking.

We have one weakness in defense, his name is Ashley Young. Our healthy defense is one of the best in the league. Indicative of this is the 1 GA pg.
I think Lindelof is a weakness too, but I guess that's my point: Ole has confidence in a back four of AWB, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw, but you've not been able to play that combination much this season. You've had a lot of injuries throughout the team so you've gone conservative while those players come back. Things might improve a little on the goals scored front in the future without you conceding more once everyone's back, but I'm not holding my breath.

romufc

You concede so few and create so little in the way of chances because you're a very conservative side that tries to protect its back four at all costs while leaving three pacey forwards to do what they like.
We create so little because we have no creativity and no clinical striker.

City score loads of goals, doesn't mean they will concede load of goals..

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
We create so little because we have no creativity and no clinical striker.

City score loads of goals, doesn't mean they will concede load of goals..
Yes, that's because we have a great attack and we defend as a team from the front. United don't have the players or the manager to do that.

I'm not saying that playing more attacking/open football guarantees that a side would concede more goals, I'm saying that if United played more attacking/open football then they would definitely concede more goals.

romufc

Yes, that's because we have a great attack and we defend as a team from the front. United don't have the players or the manager to do that.

I'm not saying that playing more attacking/open football guarantees that a side would concede more goals, I'm saying that if United played more attacking/open football then they would definitely concede more goals.
I disagree, the goals we have conceded this season have come from counter attacks as well which means we were on the attack.

The problem is our forwards don't take care of the ball well enough and lose it way too easily leaving the midfield and defence open. We cannot play more attacking because the players we currently have dont have the ability. Apart from Pogba no one can unlock a defence.

Compare to City and Pool they have 5/6 players who can.

Raw

Bloody hell, look at Arsenal.

I think it's pretty clear that defensively as a unit we're pretty sound. However, individual mistakes have cost us dearly (Tuanzebe on Monday, Lindelof a couple of times, etc). In general we don't seem to concede more than one goal (Palace game aside) which is good, but when we're scoring at most 1 goal a game then we're adding so much pressure on our defence to keep clean sheets.

norm87cro

The guy is a proper defender and he does the basics the way they should be done. Like many greats before him (Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Stam and Vidic) he gives confidence to his teammates up front giving this team the much needed foundations from the back. It's not his fault we average a goal per game these days.

Sea-Cow

Watched a different game to me....

I’ve liked the look of the lad so far but was poor for me today...

Kept playing loose passes putting teammates under pressure....

And constantly caught offside for set pieces... despite being the last man looking straight down the line...

What’s the point of trying to get an extra half yard advantage... it’s only gonna get ruled out for offside with VAR anyway..
Haha yes that is infuriating!!! Obviously our big plan on set pieces is for Young to float it up high and deep so that Harry can head it back across. Some genius level of planning here by the coaches by the way, most teams will be blown away by the creativity.

So he is the key part of this plan, almost everything relies on him. And he has been offsides multiple times. It makes me want to cry.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How anyone can’t see his obvious class is beyond me. He’s head and shoulders (literally) better than any defender we’ve had since Rio and Vidic. He’s so composed on the ball, wins every header, his distribution is first class and I love the way he brings the ball forward and starts attacks. Last night even his shot was good. I honestly think if we played him in midfield or attack he’d do a better job than what’s there currently because he’s just a natural footballer.

so glad he’s on our team. My player of the season so far and I hope he keeps it up.
My United pal was moaning about him the other day. I can only think it is due to either being worth the high fee (true, but not a great reason), or an underlying bias against him. As he's been very solid in an unspectatular way so far.
One of the few players who looks the part.

red4ever 79

fans are clearly turning against all the players. He put a post out after the shite on Thursday saying good point away from home, and such was the backlash from fans he deleted it after.

432JuanMata

fans are clearly turning against all the players. He put a post out after the shite on Thursday saying good point away from home, and such was the backlash from fans he deleted it after.
Disgraceful. He has been one of the few that can hold his head high this season. Also very professional

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not sure how he's up there as a motm contender (which threw me off and I gave him a higher rating than I should have). A great block, but missed a sitter, and that was about it. I still feel more assured with him around though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wonder what is he thinking now, leaving a top 4 team to relegation battle team for a world record fee.

Yes Leicester is sitting at 4th place, and we are only 2 points off the relegation zone!

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was ok but should have buried that header.
Agreed. Thought he could have closed down the ball for their goal too.

One positive was him driving in midfield to force United up the field quickly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not sure how he's up there as a motm contender (which threw me off and I gave him a higher rating than I should have). A great block, but missed a sitter, and that was about it. I still feel more assured with him around though.
There was another moment where he was one on one with Saint-Maximin (?) in our box and he held him off brilliantly considering how good a dribbler he is.

Also , he was the one pushing us forwards with some decent passes and good ball carrying.

The miss was bad, but I thought he was our best player alongside Tuanzebe overall.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Not an £85m player. Not even close. We wouldn't be any lower in the table with Smalling in the team and we could have spent that money on a player who would make a real difference.

Add it to the pile of stupid transfer decisions that have got us into this situation.

Bobski

Not sure where people are seeing all the driving into midfield. Thought he was rather passive on the ball today, especially first half when he did a lot of looking comfortable on the ball under no pressure but just coasting forward at barely above walking speed and dumping the ball off to Young. Improved in the second half to be fair and defended well throughout.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He did a better job driving forward in midfield than Fred.
It was weird as we seemed to be relying on him as a playmaker towards the end of the game, even weirder that he was better than any of out midfielders at it. :lol:

Raw

That header was poor but otherwise he was fine. Again, people are expecting £85m level of performances from him every week and it's just not going to happen in our incredible mess of a team.

Our defence is pretty much the only good thing about our season so far, and even then it's still making silly mistakes here and there. We so badly need a good midfield in front of it.

Skills

Snitch
Not an £85m player. Not even close. We wouldn't be any lower in the table with Smalling in the team and we could have spent that money on a player who would make a real difference.

Add it to the pile of stupid transfer decisions that have got us into this situation.
Basically this.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Have to disagree here.

Right now it may not seem like it, but he's a great start to building a competitive team. There's only so much he can do with that mess in front of him, and having to work with Young and Dalot in defence.

Roboc7

That header was poor but otherwise he was fine. Again, people are expecting £85m level of performances from him every week and it's just not going to happen in our incredible mess of a team.

Our defence is pretty much the only good thing about our season so far, and even then it's still making silly mistakes here and there. We so badly need a good midfield in front of it.
It’s never going to happen full stop he is nowhere near an 85m player, never has been.

He’s been fine since he joined but he’s nothing special and it’s strange that we massively overspent in him and then neglected our whole midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.