Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SungSam7

Christ we are attacking players left and right now, next week it will be AWB if he has a poor game when all you see in the match day chat is how much of a beast he is. 1 bad game and all the good has been forgotten. How can you expect Nesta out of 80 million when we can't even get some sort of a game plan going....

Roboc7

He wasn’t a great defender at Leicester that’s just the reality. He’s a good player but he was never going to transform the defence, we paid double what he was worth. He improves the team but nothing like as much as what a lot of people thought.

Raw

He has been good so far. Not sure why the negativity towards him.
People are expecting Van Dijk levels of performances because of the price tag. I think everyone knows that he isn't worth £80m, but he's still a damn good defender and big improvement on what we had last season.

Our complete inability to finish chances and kill a team off is adding unnecessary pressure to our defence to have near perfect games, not to mention our terrible midfield being unable to shield anything. In a better team, Maguire will flourish even further.

Terminator

People are expecting Van Dijk levels of performances because of the price tag. I think everyone knows that he isn't worth £80m, but he's still a damn good defender and big improvement on what we had last season.

Our complete inability to finish chances and kill a team off is adding unnecessary pressure to our defence to have near perfect games, not to mention our terrible midfield being unable to shield anything. In a better team, Maguire will flourish even further.
Spot on.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It’s just way too early to say whether he will be an improvement and how big it will be. My money is on him not making a great deal if difference to our performances.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
He's a very good defender and a big improvement on any of your CBs (I know the bar was set very low) but the shielding provided by your midfield is weak to say the least. Do not expect miracles under these conditions, there's only so much he can do.

Never an 80M CB though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylar

BTW, think he should have scored given his ability. Think he would want that chance back.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He's a very good defender and a big improvement on any of your CBs (I know the bar was set very low) but the shielding provided by your midfield is weak to say the least. Do not expect miracles under these conditions, there's only so much he can do.

Never an 80M CB though.
I understand he wants to go back to Leicester as his dream is to play for a top four club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Should have scored and got easily beaten for the first goal. So many aerial duels which he didnt even attempt.
Bad day in office. Just move on.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We like to burn what we like last week.

Issue is that with a poor Lindelof and Young next to him, and with Matic Mctominay, he can only be poor

Jimmy_Bond

I understand he wants to go back to Leicester as his dream is to play for a top four club.
Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, you couldn't create a sniff against the worst United team in 30 years.

Look forward to having Maddison here next season though, any other of your players you think we should be signing?

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
Don't get too far ahead of yourselves, you couldn't create a sniff against the worst United team in 30 years.

Look forward to having Maddison here next season though, any other of your players you think we should be signing?

People in glass houses and all that.....
I remember when Manchester United were a 'successful' big club.
Now, they're envious of little old Leicester.

Leicester, as would be argued by most pundits/media/current and ex players, have a better squad than the 'Mighty Manchester United'.
Whether or not you agree with that is subjective, and I suspect that you will given your red tinted glasses......
But there are two aspects of where Leicester are operating as if they are a bigger club than Manchester United.

1 - Better transfer Policy
2 - Better manager

Manchester United used to be competing with Europe's best, now they're a mid table Premier league side.

SATA

He really should have put away that chance even for a central defender. Who knows we might have turned the game around if it came to 1-1

fergiesarmy1

He really should have put away that chance even for a central defender. Who knows we might have turned the game around if it came to 1-1
Should be putting shots into the roof the of the net from that range but he’s no striker so I’ll give him a pass.

Jimmy_Bond

Leicester, as would be argued by most pundits/media/current and ex players, have a better squad than the 'Mighty Manchester United'.
Whether or not you agree with that is subjective, and I suspect that you will given your red tinted glasses......
But there are two aspects of where Leicester are operating as if they are a bigger club than Manchester United.

2 - Better manager

Manchester United used to be competing with Europe's best, now they're a mid table Premier league side.
Completely agree.

However, it's bad news for you, as it means we'll be buying your players until we get back to a level when we can attract real top level world class stars. You'll become to us what Southampton used to be for Liverpool.

The irony is our decline, which you seem to be delighting over, is very bad news for a club like yours. You'd be much better off if we were chasing the real superstars of world football, rather than your best players.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

I agree but we have to enjoy top four when we get it... Doesn't happen too often. Ndidi & Soyuncu are pretty good too.

Fracture90

Think he should have done a better job closing in on Yarmolenko.

Would like to see him alongside Tuanzebe, think they would compliment each other rather good.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

2 - Better manager

:lol: Envious of mighty Leicester City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Think he should have done a better job closing in on Yarmolenko.

Would like to see him alongside Tuanzebe, think they would compliment each other rather good.
We've just inexplicably put Lindelof on a 5 year deal, so he's clearly the future as well as the current in the club's mind

Fracture90

Saw Jose saying he's not good in the air.
One - we've noticed. About two mins into his first game.
Two - he bloody bought him!
Yeah :lol:

Slow, average on the ball, not particularly big, dreadful in the air…honestly makes you wonder why was he bought in the first place? Not to mention he had around 40 games in Benfica's first team at that time, being 23 or something like that.

Ballache

Supports
Martial

This. Him, VNL and our defence in general is the least of our problems. We need a new midfield.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah :lol:

Slow, average on the ball, not particularly big, dreadful in the air…honestly makes you wonder why was he bought in the first place? Not to mention he had around 40 games in Benfica's first team at that time, being 23 or something like that.
Just smacked of buying anyone available.

A-man

This. Him, VNL and our defence in general is the least of our problems. We need a new midfield.
Yes if we compare the actual results of last year's top 6 it does not look like the defence is a big problem.

Conceded goals:
Liverpool 5
City 6
United 6
Tottenham 8
Arsenal 10
Chelsea 13

If we look at scored goals it is not so flattering:
City 24
Liverpool 17
Tottenham 12
Chelsea 12
Arsenal 11
United 8

Only one match where United scored more than one goal.

How people can blame everything on the defence is beyond me.

Last edited:

Raw

Yes if we compare the actual results of last year's top 6 it does not look like the defence is a big problem.

Conceded goals:
Liverpool 5
City 6
United 6
Tottenham 8
Arsenal 10
Chelsea 13

City 24
Liverpool 17
Tottenham 12
Chelsea 12
Arsenal 11
United 8

That goal tally is so incredibly depressing. Fecking City scored as many as our whole season in one game! And already have 3 times as many!

Conceded goals:
Liverpool 5
City 6
United 6
Tottenham 8
Arsenal 10
Chelsea 13

City 24
Liverpool 17
Tottenham 12
Chelsea 12
Arsenal 11
United 8

Well said! I'm very happy with Maguire, he would look even better with a decent midfield in front of him. Our main issues are attack and midfield.

A-man

That goal tally is so incredibly depressing. Fecking City scored as many as our whole season in one game! And already have 3 times as many!
That is really depressing... And it is not looking brighter with Rashford injured.

Well said! I'm very happy with Maguire, he would look even better with a decent midfield in front of him. Our main issues are attack and midfield.
Yes, other teams should be able to come to OT and dominate United. That is not ok. Maguire is good and the more nmatches he gets together with the rest of the team, the better. Yes, he was mainly at fault for one goal last match and could have done better for one more in earlier matches, but there is no 100% perfect defender. 6 goals conceded and there are room for improvements. Defence is ok, the rest is not. However I wonder what happens the day Maguire gets injured.

passing-wind

I think just from a few games in Maguire like Lindlelof needs a compatriot for comfort. Out of possession they don't seem to complement one another. He's been decent defensively overall but anyone who thinks we was getting the English VVD was massively mistaken. Harry is not a one man army, we still need a top quality center half to pair alongside him in my opinion.

When you consider how shocking our entire team is, I don't see why Solskjaer doesn't opt for a 3-5-2 in a similar manner to how Southgate has utilised for England. This takes the impetus off the midfield to be more defensively astute and allow Pogba to play further up without upsetting the balance of play through the midfield (which is nonexistent) as the centre half / sweeper have more of an opportunity to bring the ball forward without being exposed. I just think Solskjaer managerially doesn't have anything to get us out of our current situation which he has played a role in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Van Dijk also requires a team around him that's performing. Fabinho and the workhorses at Liverpool not to mention their pressing provide far greater protection than Scott Mctominay and Pogba.

And much more importanly, Liverpool don't get dominated in midfield by West Ham. People keep thinking that individuals are going to magically come in and improve things. They can make an improvement - sometimes a big one - but not in a team that lacks cohesion, organisation and dominance. Even adding Messi to a shit team will reduce his impact.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Conceded goals:
Liverpool 5
City 6
United 6
Tottenham 8
Arsenal 10
Chelsea 13

City 24
Liverpool 17
Tottenham 12
Chelsea 12
Arsenal 11
United 8

It's clear that midfield and attack is the big problem. We neede defenders no doubt but the attack has been our weakness for 6 years now. The defence in this period has at times been impressive.

But really the puzzle that needs fixing is our cohesion, fluidity and potency going forward.

fergiesarmy1

Isn't Pep desperate for defenders? Let's trade him for Mahrez in Jan.
Stupid post, you want us to go back to smalling/jones/Lindelof defence, I wish we could give the first 2 away forever. Jones is everything that is wrong this club which isn’t a new thing to point out.

Just crawled back from a boozer and talking to young reds, they are ready for a relegation battle

Status
Not open for further replies.