Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Teams concede goals. We don’t concede many. I’ve been wittering on about this for years and years now. No United defender will truly receive the credit he deserves until we score more goals.

We concede goals in line with the best teams in England. Maguire, like Smalling and Blind before him, is a big reason for that success.

Outside of the goal, he was very, very dominant.

Ekeke

He was average and made a big cockup. Pitchforks would be out for some of our other CBs on that performance

Classical Mechanic

Teams concede goals. We don’t concede many. I’ve been wittering on about this for years and years now. No United defender will truly receive the credit he deserves until we score more goals.

We concede goals in line with the best teams in England. Maguire, like Smalling and Blind before him, is a big reason for that success.

Agree, he was dominant. One mistake that he was punished for by a very good goal. Nothing to get excited about.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I read lot of posts here about our amazing individual defensive performances, so can't really understand why majority of goals we conceeded this season are mostly from poor defending from our backline?

Ekeke

I read lot of posts here about our amazing individual defensive performances, so can't really understand why majority of goals we conceeded this season are mostly from poor defending from our backline?
Because we have defenders making more individual errors this season than the previous ones. But those posters like the players regardless of what happens on the pitch so they hype them up all the time, because they like them not because they played well

A-man

I haven’t found a good replay of the goal, maybe someone else has? And could explain why he was so off position, far out to the right. I know he wants to win every possible header but it was almost in Bissaka position.

DoomSlayer

Absolute shambles for Chelsea's goal. I hope these sort of mistakes disappear when the defense becomes more settled and the players get more experience with each other. But the mistake is inexcusable, Maguire had no idea where the ball was after initially losing the aerial duel.

Kag

He’s actually a little unlucky for the goal. He wins the header and it bounces back off the Chelsea bloke in an attacking position. You can see him look up for the ball to realise it’s going behind him.

Maguire has been a good signing. You would think that other teams don’t concede, at times.

Andersons Dietician

We kinda all already new that his weakness is on the turn against speedy players and for one moment everything aligned and his weakness was exposed. However through most of the game he was his usual solid self.

Holocene

I haven’t found a good replay of the goal, maybe someone else has? And could explain why he was so off position, far out to the right. I know he wants to win every possible header but it was almost in Bissaka position.

Kag

Then you are seriously underrating defenders in general.
The ball goes into the net because a defender or goalkeeper didn’t prevent it from happening. A defender is always at fault for that.

Of course, I’m not daft enough to think this is anything other than normal.

lsd

The Oracle
So slow its painful to watch . No way anyone that slow is worth anywhere near 80 million

Ekeke

Almost every goal scored will have a defensive error in it except for worldies, as it happens that goal would have had a very low xG because it was a fantastic one.
Nope, there are plenty of goals where the defender does what you'd expect them to do but the attackers also did what you'd expect them to do, and since they have the ball its an advantage to them. The defender needs to outperform the attacker to stop it

simmee

But you're still quick to blame Lindelof for everything, is he not part of the same defensive unit? Wondering how that logic works out for you.

Ekeke

So to go through the mistakes here...

The first one if hes committing to that he should be winning it. He doesnt have the pace to get back, we know this so he shouldnt even be there trying to win it if he
isnt sure.

Second is that once he's chasing the player back he should foul him. Take the booking and learn from your mistake. He let him go thinking someone was going to bail him out and it didnt happen. None of our defenders wanted to try and win the ball because they prefer ball playing rather than enjoying defending. So they all sat off and Romero wasnt able to stop a good shot

thepolice123

Tbf both Macguire and Batshuayi had no idea where the ball was. And the goal was scored from way out. It was a bit of a wonder goal.

Moiraine

Because United have 3 men back and there was only one striker to mark. It was always Maquire’s header.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really slow on the turn for their goal and orobably should have won the first nattle anyway, but apart from that, no major errors. Dominant in the air as usual and assured on the ball.

Classical Mechanic

Nope, there are plenty of goals where the defender does what you'd expect them to do but the attackers also did what you'd expect them to do, and since they have the ball its an advantage to them. The defender needs to outperform the attacker to stop it
Look at all three goals tonight, go and look at most goals in most games and you’ll see errors from defenders and players all over the pitch in all of them.

Your point is weak too because Bats didn’t do what would be generally expected, he went well above and beyond by dribbling the ball from his own half and hitting it into the bottom corner from outside the box, it was a very low probability goal.

That said, I agree that he should of fouled him.

Kag

But you're still quick to blame Lindelof for everything, is he not part of the same defensive unit? Wondering how that logic works out for you.
Perhaps you’re thinking of the wrong person, as a quick search of my previous posts surrounding Lindelof suggests that I don’t blame him for “everything”.

Interesting addition to the thread, mind you.

Ekeke

Goals are usually conceded in such ways.
They are usually conceded from an attacker outplaying the defensive players, not players making basic errors. Although I do think that has increased this season with lots of CBs trying to be too clever and making mistakes leading to chances

acnumber9

Of course he is, at 80m what defenders arent? Hes still our best CB.
Forget the actual figure and consider we spent over half of our transfer budget on him. It was money that could’ve been better spent elsewhere for me.

NinjaFletch

God there's some absolutely staggeringly bad posts and posters who have decided to make it their mission to microanalysis everything Maguire does. Bizarre.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The ball goes into the net because a defender or goalkeeper didn’t prevent it from happening. A defender is always at fault for that.
That is just a laughable opinion. Many goals are scored because midfielders or wingers didn't cover the space they had to, or opposition player they were supposed to mark simply got the best out of them and left defenders in two on one situations, left them unmarked on set pieces, etc. Plus there are free kicks, goals from good crosses where team stayed too attacking so defenders simply couldn't cover everything, counter attacks where defenders are simply outnumbered, etc.

To blame every goal on defender or goalkeeper is just ridiculous. However, we have conceeded many goals where attackers simply got the best out of our defenders in one on one like tonight or previous game where we conceede in 1 against 3 situation, or 2 against 4 which is amateurish level of defending. Wr also conceeded few goals this season where our defenders lost their marker because he was quicker or stronger in the air, where goalkeeper messed it up, etc. Those all are individual defensive mistakes that are all down to defenders.

A-man

Thanks. Lindelof was very high up and maybe it wasn’t such a strange place for Maguire to be at. Rojo was also covering for him. Thought first it was a stupid header to attempt but it was more just plain poor performance.

He was good apart from that, but it seems to me that the better teams know how to exploit Maguire’s weaknesses. When attackers run in behind him it feels dangerous every time.

Bobski

We have improved defensively this season, and individual performances are part of that. However a far better defensive structure, a more compact and defensive shape and frankly the absence of Pogba in midfield have made Utd a lot harder to play through.

Our defensive shape last year was a travesty, it was so easy to get at the defenders, that was more responsible for the poor record than individual performances.

Ekeke

look at all three goals tonight, go and look at most goals in most games and you’ll see errors from defenders and players all over the pitch in all of them.

your point is weak too because Bats didn’t do what would be generally expected, he went well above and beyond by dribbling the ball from his own half and hitting it into the bottom corner from outside the box, it was a very low probability goal.

that said I agree that he should of fouled him.
He did well after he was given the ball and allowed to run towards the goal from the halfway line with no challenges. So the shot is the only part that was above expectation, unless your expectation of him is to trip over the ball or something daft

Kag

That is just a laughable opinion. Many goals are scored because midfielders or wingers didn't cover the space they had to, or opposition player they were supposed to mark simply got the best out of them and left defenders in two on one situations, left them unmarked on set pieces, etc. Plus there are free kicks, goals from good crosses where team stayed too attacking so defenders simply couldn't cover everything, counter attacks where defenders are simply outnumbered, etc.

To blame every goal on defender or goalkeeper is just ridiculous. However, we have conceeded many goals where attackers simply got the best out of our defenders in one on one like tonight or previous game where we conceede in 1 against 3 situation, or 2 against 4 which is amateurish level of defending. Wr also conceeded few goals this season where our defenders lost their marker because he was quicker or stronger in the air, where goalkeeper messed it up, etc. Those all are individual defensive mistakes that are all down to defenders.
True. I’ll change my tune. The ball goes into the net because a defending player didn’t prevent it from happening.

A-man

Because United have 3 men back and there was only one striker to mark. It was always Maquire’s header.
Yes I could see that now in the YouTube clip posted. It was the right thing to do, to go for that header. And when he faces a much smaller guy like that he will win 9/10.

Ekeke

His header wasn't the biggest problem.
No, it was what he did after not fouling him and getting back into position, or one of the other CBs having the balls to to put in a challenge and make the striker do something in order to get into a shooting position

mu4c_20le

He was pretty good apart from the goal. See if he costed 50-60m i bet most people wouldn't have any issue with him

Status
Not open for further replies.