Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

quirkey

Did you not read “pretty much”? Bergwijn shouldn’t have scored if De Gea didn’t feck up.
Oh ok I get you now, he’s been great except when he hasn’t and has cost us goals/points. Solid argument Bergwijn and Stanislas shouldn’t have had the chance to score in the first place. DDG surely has built up enough goodwill over the years to not be thrown under the bus every time Maguire leaves him exposed. Maguire has been pretty good all season but he’s not a PL winning captain unless we get a lightning quick centre half in beside him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very poor game for him today, make a few mistake and cost us a goal. Our defence, under his leadership, has been a mess. Thankfully our attack has been brilliant.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maguire is proof that value is relative (and also that United's recruitment in recent years has been cak). He was worth £80m to us because he was better than what we already had. However, to the elite Maguire wouldn't level them up enough to even consider that outlay. He's a good defender rather than a great defender. In our 1994, 1999 or 2008 teams he would not have been a starter. That in itself says a lot.
And 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

quirkey

Maguire is proof that value is relative (and also that United's recruitment in recent years has been cak). He was worth £80m to us because he was better than what we already had. However, to the elite Maguire wouldn't level them up enough to even consider that outlay. He's a good defender rather than a great defender. In our 1994, 1999 or 2008 teams he would not have been a starter. That in itself says a lot.
great point; the transfer policy has improved in last few years and we are lucky the academy is bailing out the scouting department

GMoore23

I think Maguire's performance today was due to fatigue. He's played virtually every minute since footballs return and Solskjaer has virtually no other option but to play him as our other options are either permanently crocked or useless.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think Maguire's performance today was due to fatigue. He's played virtually every minute since footballs return and Solskjaer has virtually no other option but to play him as our other options are either permanently crocked or useless.
He could have subbed him off instead of Lindelof who was playing miles better. But Ole has decided that he is our talisman.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
One of his worst performances today. Thankfully we got away with it. Still our best CB by a long way and clearly still a good signing

Djemba-Djemba

Very poor game for him today, make a few mistake and cost us a goal. Our defence, under his leadership, has been a mess. Thankfully our attack has been brilliant.
I mean that's just not true.

He was poor today and he clearly wasn't worth £80m but I think he was much better than what we had here and he's improved us at the back. If we can get a good pacey CB next to he'll be much better I think.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He can be so slow to give the ball. Today at one stage in the second half he actually scratched his nose while in possession.

Just pass the fecking thing! You're going to pass it to Shaw anyway, no need to have a board meeting in your head about it, just do it

criticalanalysis

Such a strange one. The costly brain farts aside, he carried on with the rest of his game like nothing happened :lol:

I mean that in a good way. As the leader of the defence and captain, he has the arrogance/confidence/ignorance (tick off or add as appropriate) to continue playing without a care in the world.

For someone who got megged and played several hospital passes, he still dominated his guy in the air, covered the channels well, was composed in playing out from the back/no rushed clearances and offered plenty of angles for passing at the back.

Mind he can count his lucky stars the opposition was terrible and we have that front three playing.

The thing is, this is not the first time. It's a 'trait' of his to just continue going 'forward'.

He's got the mantality for what's its worth.

edcunited1878

He was very poor today and he deserves the criticism. We all knew he had his clear weaknesses and has been exposed a few times.

One thing to remember is that he's never been at this level before and it's crunch time. He too has to up his game and sustain it and do what he does best to help elevate the team.

He's club captain and he's pretty much forced to play at least every match in the league because United have been playing with 3 CBs for months now.

mu4c_20le

I like him, but sometimes I think maybe we could've saved the 80m and kept Smalling, whose best football was under LVG back when we played a possession game. He's quicker and good at snuffing out the counter, and both make mistakes.

ricky-romeo

Shocking defending for the first goal. Still he is our best CB and we need to bring in a quicker and stronger partner for him if we are going to win a PL tittle.

TheReligion

Abusive
Poor today but I think when you look at his season on the whole compared to what we've had from Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof he's clearly our best CB and I'd much rather have him in the team that not.

POF

As a leader and character he was a good signing but he just isn't a top class defender.

United need to find a defensive rock to play next to him.

Dinghy

He had a shit game today, it happens. Some are already crying for Smalling to go back in to the side...feck me.

Godfather

Complacency maybe which shouldn't be the case looking at the place we are in. 100% effort and concentration needed for every game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was poor today
Not very good, but then again getting megged like that will always make you look ridiculous (and influence people's perception of the overall performance unduly). And DDG should have stopped it. His anticipation/positioning was highly dubious.

he clearly wasn't worth £80m
No, he wasn't. That will probably never change.

but I think he was much better than what we had here and he's improved us at the back
Agreed. And that is - surely - the bottom line.

TheReligion

Abusive
He had a shit game today, it happens. Some are already crying for Smalling to go back in to the side...feck me.
Idiots. Smalling has had his chance. If you watch him in Italy he's been okay but his performances have tapered off and mistakes creeping back in.

We have to look forward not back. Maguire brings us more to the team.

Classical Mechanic

Ok then, he is better than Rio and Vidic.
That’s a spurious argument. They’re the best defensive partnership in PL history. Both had terrible games for us mind. Worth noting that Vidic’s nightmare games against Liverpool were as a result of the scouse identifying him as the weak link and preying on him because he couldn’t cope with players running at him. Look at Rio’s defending for the Messi goal in the CL final, it’s pretty abysmal. Players are under the microscope much more these days and it’s harder for centre backs because of the way the game has evolved.

Maguire has been in great form during our strong run but has had a couple of wobblers since we’ve come back, including today. The whole defence was exposed by Bournemouth’s tactics today, the lack of pace and the nervousness of playing out from the back under the press, starting with the keeper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Defending against two players for the goal and got blamed for it. You might want to question what the other players were doing, yeah ball watching. Getting nutmegged yes but at least he senses the danger while others were ball watching.

el3mel

That’s a spurious argument. They’re the best defensive partnership in PL history. Both had terrible games for us mind. Worth noting that Vidic’s nightmare games against Liverpool were as a result of the scouse identifying him as the weak link and preying on him because he couldn’t cope with players running at him. Look at Rio’s defending for the Messi goal in the CL final, it’s pretty abysmal. Players are under the microscope much more these days and it’s harder for centre backs because of the way the game has evolved.

Maguire has been in great form during our strong run but has had a couple of wobblers since we’ve come back, including today. The whole defence was exposed by Bournemouth’s tactics today, the lack of pace and the nervousness of playing out from the back under the press, starting with the keeper.
I don't get what you're talking about. He's right, Maguire would have never played ahead of Rio and Vidic regardless. He's not a bad defender, but these are elites.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ok then, Evans deputizing for Rio in 2008-2009 (when we went into that infinite series of no goals conceding) and in final Fergie's season was light-years better than Maguire has ever shown for us. Brown when fit was better than Maguire has ever been for us.

Every player makes mistakes. Maguire makes too many while not being particularly good at anything except heading the ball.

That's where we disagree. I don't think that he has ever been great, or even particularly good. I don't even think that he has been better than Lindelof. We are conceding more than under Mourinho and LVG. He has been plain average and we would have been having LOLz if some other club was as stupid as spending 80m for him.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Not the only defender who will have us fall short of winning major trophies again but the massive price tag is the extra kick in the teeth.
Always good in the air but at 6'5 so he should be. Where he's bad he'll always be bad. Slow, clumsy, too easily beaten one on one and a weakness for the occasional suicide pass.
Just because he cost so much shouldn't mean he's a guaranteed pick every game.
Blow the bank and bring in two absolute world class CBs.

Champagne Football

I like Maguire a lot. He's miles better than Smalling/Lindelof/Jones but he seems to be one of those players who can lose form easily. Rooney perhaps being an example in that he had to be in absolute peak form to perform to his highest otherwise he looked average. Matic too. And Maguire seems to be similar that way.

Classical Mechanic

Ok then, Evans deputizing for Rio in 2008-2009 (when we went into that infinite series of no goals conceding) and in final Fergie's season was light-years better than Maguire has ever shown for us. Brown when fit was better than Maguire has ever been for us.

Every player makes mistakes. Maguire makes too many while not being particularly good at anything except heading the ball.

That's where we disagree. I don't think that he has ever been great, or even particularly good. I don't even think that he has been better than Lindelof. We are conceding more than under Mourinho and LVG. He has been plain average and we would have been having LOLz if some other club was as stupid as spending 80m for him.
I don’t agree that Evans and Brown were better. If you put Rio next to Maguire you’d have a brilliant partnership in my opinion. I don’t think Maguire is only good at heading the ball either. He has more goals and assists than any other PL defender since he’s been in the league so he offers more goal threat than any other CB in the league. He's strong and doesn’t get bullied physically. His passing is hit and miss but he can play nice diagonals at times, he is good at stepping out with the ball although we’ve not seen that as much at United because we often face deep sides. He also has leadership qualities hence Olly naming him captain so soon. He’s also appeared in every PL game this season after years of our efforts being undermined by physically injury prone centre backs.

Vernon Philander

Maguire really didn't do too much wrong for that first goal.

He intercepted well initially, then had to charge towards Stanislas in the resulting spill - couldn't leave him unmarked. Stanislas did well to compose himself to meg Harry as he came towards him. All top defenders can get megged, its not a completely unavoidable part of the game. I'd question more De Gea in that scenario.

flappyjay

I like Maguire a lot. He's miles better than Smalling/Lindelof/Jones but he seems to be one of those players who can lose form easily. Rooney perhaps being an example in that he had to be in absolute peak form to perform to his highest otherwise he looked average. Matic too. And Maguire seems to be similar that way.
He is not miles better than Victor and Chris.

Bobski

I don't think it is form, simply an issue with his game that isolating and getting him backtracking makes him very vulnerable. True for most defenders but his lack of acceleration and lateral agility makes it all too obvious with Maguire. He has been good for Utd in the main(coming from a doubter) but his limitations will always have to be taken into consideration when setting up the team.

mu4c_20le

He is not miles better than Victor and Chris.
This. I've watched every match and even in his best ones, he is just a good, solid defender. Prime Jones and Rojo at their best have also shown the same type of form. Miles better, if meant literally, is a bit of an exaggeration.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire really didn't do too much wrong for that first goal.

He intercepted well initially, then had to charge towards Stanislas in the resulting spill - couldn't leave him unmarked. Stanislas did well to compose himself to meg Harry as he came towards him. All top defenders can get megged, its not a completely unavoidable part of the game. I'd question more De Gea in that scenario.
I agree. People seem either having agenda due to his price tag or they didn't see it again. I'd also question why some of the other players were just ball watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.