Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

He improved the defence and i think he will also improve as a player. That being said, Forced to overpay for a good defender.

Maybe he could be compared to Cahill in the end. Cahill was a good English defender but he had a really good defender (Terry) next to him. Cahill had a good career as a Chelsea player and Maguire could also have a good Manchester United if he had a really good defender next to him. You dont always need to have two world class defenders like Rio and Vidic to have succes. Sometimes one world class and a good defender (like Cahill or Maguire) next to him is good enough.

Liverpool have one world class defender (VVD) with a good defender next to him and that was good enough to win the cl...
Liverpool also have a world class goalkeeper, two world class fullbacks and a world class attacking trio. Ascribing Liverpool's CL win to VVD's presence is reductionist in the extreme.

UpWithRivers

Goal was almost all Maguire, but I would like to know why Rojo tried to get out of the way instead of blocking the shot. Did he just lose where he was relative to the goal and thought it was going wide?
Maguire confused the rest of them. When he realised the ball was behind him he started charging back down Rojos right side. Rojo didn't know in that instant if he should cover his right or if Maguire was gonna do something. Then he went inside and Rojo couldnt cover in time

Davie Moyes

Watching the goal again and all 3 defenders were culpable in they all seem to leave the scorer to each other. Once Maguire loses the header Bats is away and with 2 covering defenders you can see why he thinks it's unnecessary to bring him down. Of the 3 I would blame Rojo the most for the half arsed attempt to close him down and the shot went through his legs, he seemed to be surprised at how early the shot was taken.

Maguire has been a solid 7/10 overall. Looks a class above the rest of our defenders and brings leadership and composure. So what if he's no VVD - nobody apart from VVD is. Can you imagine the difference if Smalling or Jones were playing instead?

Aouer-United

Blaming on Maguire? he kept it so well to limit Bat but the goal is on Romero for his poor positioning, if he were in a better position to save, it would be count as poor shot from Bat.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's like a weird cult. You've got the Lindelof supporters, then you've got the Smalling supporters, then you have the now dwindling Bailly supporters, the Shaw supporters etc.

At least everyone hates Young, so there's that.
I like Young:nervous:

el3mel

Wait, did someone really just check and compare the response to Maguire's mistake to... Lindelof? On his third season with us and shown little signs of improvement on his weaknesses? I wasn't a big fan of breaking the record to sign Maguire, but the desperation here to defend Lindelof is amusing at times.
Maguire is an experienced premier league defender. I don't know how many seasons he player here matters in such case.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's been excellent for us. Delighted to have him.

Hammondo

I understand but lets look at where Maguire has been caught out if we are using the same metric as judging Lindelof.
Vs West Ham Yarmalemko scored after cutting in and Maguire was caught on the wrong foot
Vs Chelsea Batshuay bullied him for the goal twice
Vs Partizan was put on the floor
Vs Norwich too

I am not saying he is a bad defender on the contrary, I think Maguire has been brilliant for us, but the criticism on Lindelof is a bit over the top.

I don't think he will be our long term CB because I personally think by the end of the season Tuanzebe will partner Maguire. Lindelof is a very good backup to them.
If you wrong foot him, hes fecked.

mu4c_20le

Maguire is an experienced premier league defender. I don't know how many seasons he player here matters in such case.
And he does get judged for his mistakes. Lindelof is supposed to be young and learning, the lack of progress is worrying.

el3mel

And he does get judged for his mistakes. Lindelof is supposed to be young and learning, the lack of progress is worrying.
Lindelof also got judged by his mistakes though? The difference is he doesn't get excused for it, unlike Maguire.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lindelof's progress in last 12 months is huge. Last year he was our best defender ffs. And this year he fecked up less than Maguire for example but hey it is Lindelof, he was trash nearly 2 years, lets keep attacking him.

We have excellent defensive pair and now it is still not enough for some people. Now we want Tuanzebe to partner Harry because Lindelof lost two headers.

mu4c_20le

Lindelof's progress in last 12 months is huge. Last year he was our best defender ffs. And this year he fecked up less than Maguire for example but hey it is Lindelof, he was trash nearly 2 years, lets keep attacking him.

We have excellent defensive pair and now it is still not enough for some people. Now we want Tuanzebe to partner Harry because Lindelof lost two headers.
I don't consider that progress, that's him getting used to the PL after a calamitous first season. Progress is not getting outmuscled all the time, or completely misjudging headers. Also two headers when we're only 10 games into the season isn't something to just brush off, if Maguire kept missing headers like that then I would be very concerned.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't consider that progress, that's him getting used to the PL after a calamitous first season. Progress is not getting outmuscled all the time, or completely misjudging headers. Also two headers when we're only 10 games into the season isn't something to just brush off, if Maguire kept missing headers like that then I would be very concerned.
Yes, Lindelof is weak(ish) in the air. But so is Maguire on wide space because he is slow. They are perfect combo( at least for me). One is a leader and perfect in air, other is quick( for defender). Both know how to play with the ball. I don't know, i really like this pair and i think that they will be excellent for us. And wanting all of sudden Tuanzebe instead of Lindelof is something which i can't understand.

romufc

Yes, Lindelof is weak(ish) in the air. But so is Maguire on wide space because he is slow. They are perfect combo( at least for me). One is a leader and perfect in air, other is quick( for defender). Both know how to play with the ball. I don't know, i really like this pair and i think that they will be excellent for us. And wanting all of sudden Tuanzebe instead of Lindelof is something which i can't understand.
I cannot understand this either. Maguire has made mistakes that have cost us more goals this season, but no one will say anything because he is a favoured CB.

Tuanzebe cost us 2 points Vs Arsenal but some blamed Lindelof for that goal too.

There is clearly an agenda Vs Lindelof, for people who cannot see he has actually improved over the last year, they just need to watch football without the bias.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof quick? He's faster than Maguire, but he's still quite slow and easily slower than any of our other options in his position.

It's one of the big issues that people have had with that combo since it became obvious we were signing Maguire, and why many feel Tuanzebe will ultimately be the better partner for him. Tuanzebe is much faster than Lindelof, physically stronger, and I would expect that once he gets enough games he'll provide better ball-playing ability. The big question of course is whether Tuanzebe will be good enough defensively, particularly in terms of positioning and decision-making. Plus at the moment he's arguably even worse in the air despite his physical advantages.

A-man

Lindelof quick? He's faster than Maguire, but he's still quite slow and easily slower than any of our other options in his position.

It's one of the big issues that people have had with that combo since it became obvious we were signing Maguire, and why many feel Tuanzebe will ultimately be the better partner for him. Tuanzebe is much faster than Lindelof, physically stronger, and I would expect that once he gets enough games he'll provide better ball-playing ability. The big question of course is whether Tuanzebe will be good enough defensively, particularly in terms of positioning and decision-making. Plus at the moment he's arguably even worse in the air despite his physical advantages.
Maguire is slow but to me the worst is he very slow to turn around. If he’s on the wrong foot he loses half a second compared to most other CBs. Lindelof is not quick either, at least not if you look at acceleration which is often the most important. He has rather high top speed and stamina at top speed, though. One example is against Origi who was noted one of the fastest top speeds in PL (I think two seasons ago). Origi immediately won one meter due to better acceleration but as the sprint was long, Lindelof recovered. So for long sprints he is good, not for short.

acnumber9

Any touch inside Maguire instantly opens up five yards of space for the attacker. I just don’t see what people see in him. Takes an age to do absolutely anything.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
What are the opinions on him so far?

As a Leicester fan, we haven’t missed him (yet).

I haven’t watched him week in / week out like you have; however, seems to be fairly average so far?

Ace of Spades

He gets fecked everytime when a player wrong foot him. He has a big weakness, and Lindelof does not work well with him in helping those short comings.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I didn’t think he was bad today. But we’ve yet to see him bringing the ball out of defence too much, which was one of his strengths at Leicester.

Why do we keep moving away from 3 at the back? It suits the limited squad that we have so well

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I haven’t watched him week in / week out like you have; however, seems to be fairly average so far?
He started the season very well but has been a bit iffy the last month or so.

Overall he's done as I expected. Comfortably our best defender on the ball and he normally plays a few really good balls a game to get us into an attacking position, but has gotten caught out defensively a few times by attackers who force him to react quickly.

HowieC

He seems to get his head to the ball fairly regularly, but dismal accuracy with it. His enormous size also counts against him when player drop a shoulder and wrong foot him

DoomSlayer

Controversial opinion, but I think he is barely above average as a player.

Only his debut against Chelsea was appropriate for a £80 million signing, he has been no better than Smalling, apart from a few passes between the lines. But that is nowhere near enough of a justification of the money we might have wasted yet again.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

He’s vastly overrated. When you pay a world record fee, you expect a world class player. He’s far from it.

We’d be no worse off with Smalling in the back four, and still have £85m (!) to spend on the squad. Leicester robbed us blind.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Steps up way too forward given his lack of recovery pace, I don't know if that's his instinct or instructions from the manager. But, it leaves us mightly exposed.

Any touch inside Maguire instantly opens up five yards of space for the attacker. I just don’t see what people see in him. Takes an age to do absolutely anything.
He is tall and can clear headers while having the ability to pass the ball along the deck to allow us to build from the back. He's a decent defender and nothing more. If people judge him for his price tag then he'll never justify it because he simply isn't that level of quality.

Ekeke

He is. He brings the ball out of defense a bit and can find a pass into midfield sometimes. He tries some long range passes out to the leftback or winger but most of them have been overhit this season. Average defending and doesn't look like he's going to score this season when he goes up for set pieces

acnumber9

Steps up way too forward given his lack of recovery pace, I don't know if that's his instinct or instructions from the manager. But, it leaves us mightly exposed.

He is tall and can clear headers while having the ability to pass the ball along the deck to allow us to build from the back. He's a decent defender and nothing more. If people judge him for his price tag then he'll never justify it because he simply isn't that level of quality.
The judgement on the price tag isn’t going away because having spent over half of our budget on him we’ve been left short elsewhere. It wasn’t the signing to make if it meant not being able to spend elsewhere. Get another average defender for significantly less.

Cypherage

I would of thought he would of brought more of a leader aspect to the backline, but still not really seeing that from any of the defenders including Maguire, there still seems to be a lack of awareness, and at times they look so disorganised at the back, is that down to management or the lack of communication between players.

As it stands United got robbed having paid 80 Mil for him, I think there are players of the same quality or even better that could have been bought for less.

Stadjer

The way he turns does look like those massive oiltanker ships when they need to turn.

He improved the team but if he wasnt English than he would have cost half the amount of money. If he was bought at all that it...

Yagami

Good post resistant

I love him. He's been very good so far, which is nice because he's having to carry the entire defence himself. Of course he hasn't been perfect, but how can you be in this mess of a team?

I'm looking forward to seeing him in an actual coached team one day, as, if we play him in an actual coached defence with defenders who pull their weight, I'm confident he'll be great.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As much as I don’t expect us to regularly keep clean sheets until we have a quality, dedicated holding midfielder, and I have always maintained that that is the problem and not our centre backs, I’d take Maguire back with his receipt in an instant.

I can never imagine him being worth his transfer fee.

AFC NimbleThumb

Will never justify his price tag & is another example of filling a want rather than actual need.

£80mil in any market should get you something special; his lack of pace & mobility mean his one major weakness will be exposed too often.

I didn’t watch Leicester week in week out but honestly what did he do to make us think £80mil was value for money?

A-man

You could really see his poor sides when United were dominating the play at the end and they went for counter attacks. He is easily dribbled when there is speed involved. Also he shouldn’t have left his position at the goal. Now he forced AWB in to an uncomfortable situation. His worst game this season but still ok.

Fracture90

We really got fleeced on this one.

Just don't see the logic behind buying an extremely immobile CB if our intention really was to play on the front foot.

High line with him and Lindelof is a suicide.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The judgement on the price tag isn’t going away because having spent over half of our budget on him we’ve been left short elsewhere. It wasn’t the signing to make if it meant not being able to spend elsewhere. Get another average defender for significantly less.
I don't disagree with you. But, none of it is actually Maguires' fault. It was Ole, his staff, along with club members who made this decision. Like I said, he's a solid defender and there are far bigger issues to fix in our squad before going to Maguires' position.

Status
Not open for further replies.