Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

He is doing a decent job considering our complete lack of a midfield and the pressure it puts on our centre backs.

also why I rate the rest of our back four (to a point) they all have a propensity to being caught out of position (even AWB) which Maguire normally has to deal with.

that, combined with Lindelof’s complete lack of aerial presence alongside him and De Gea’s refusal to ever come off his line and I think he’s doing a tough job Well.

romufc

It seems the Caf expect a 10/10 performance from him and Lindelof every game.

No player will give you that every game, especially when he has a knock and is continuously being played.

One mistake and everyone jumps on him and brings his price tag.

He didn't value himself, if you watch 90 mins of Liverpool every game you will see that Matip, Gomes, VVD all make mistakes during games but their fans don't turn against their players on every mistake.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Van Dijk had that stat last year that nobody goes past him... Maguire gets passed by an attacker almost every game.

Pulled wide and outsprinted or not turning quick enough. I wish he was a bit more of an athlete. Just a little bit more agility.
Lindelof currently has that same stat. It's a stupid stat, but because it's Lindelof people aren't losing their minds over it.

-Supreme-

No player will give you that every game, especially when he has a knock and is continuously being played.

He didn't value himself, if you watch 90 mins of Liverpool every game you will see that Matip, Gomes, VVD all make mistakes during games but their fans don't turn against their players on every mistake.
I'm sure their fans would turn against their players IF Liverpool were in our position in the league.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes, but turning on a player on a handful of poor games (not even bad) is over the top.
Agreed. I've seen a few Liverpool games this season across the Champions League and the League and VVD makes more mistakes than fans would have you believe. He's a fantastic defender, but he makes mistakes also.

Maguire has been good for us but looks in need of a rest more than anything. The problem is the back ups are either injured or not good enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not happy how he deals with situations one on one. He is a slow player so he should get himself in better position in those situations but he allows players to just run past him. Happens in every game.
Overall he is doing ok so far but it is nothing special so main question is; is this real Maguire or is there space for improvement?

mancan92

What are you on about? If he performed like Van Dyke we wouldn't complain either.

romufc

Agreed. I've seen a few Liverpool games this season across the Champions League and the League and VVD makes more mistakes than fans would have you believe. He's a fantastic defender, but he makes mistakes also.

Maguire has been good for us but looks in need of a rest more than anything. The problem is the back ups are either injured or not good enough.
But fans read about how great VVD is and
What are you on about? If he performed like Van Dyke we wouldn't complain either.
Yes, but the criticism on here after a win is as if he has given away penalties and we lost 6-0.

Some say Smalling has had a better season, Soyuncu etc...

I suggest you go watch 90 mins of the said players and you will realise they have not been better than Maguire.

mancan92

But fans read about how great VVD is and

Yes, but the criticism on here after a win is as if he has given away penalties and we lost 6-0.

Some say Smalling has had a better season, Soyuncu etc...

I suggest you go watch 90 mins of the said players and you will realise they have not been better than Maguire.
I've watched a good amount of both players this season. Smalling has been similar level to Maguire. Soyuncu until the city game had definitely been performing better. Although since then his levels have dropped.

romufc

I've watched a good amount of both players this season. Smalling has been similar level to Maguire. Soyuncu until the city game had definitely been performing better. Although since then his levels have dropped.
Soyuncu has conceded 2 penalties this season, joint top.

How do you judge how someone is performing?

Smalling made a mistake vs Juventus last week as well.

OK, so what other defenders have outperformed Maguire this season in the PL?

Classical Mechanic

He's conceded 3 penalties hasn't he? He conceded another one this weekend too but was rescued by a minuscule offside call. He's really not that good and got torn apart by Southampton, as did Evans.

Can you imagine if Maguire had given away all those pens!

mancan92

Before the city game he had conceeded 1. Soyuncu overall defending has generally been really good with a couple really stand out games and a couple bad ones. Obviously my opinion Maguire has been generally ok with no outstanding games but again a couple bad performances aswell.

romufc

He's conceded 3 penalties hasn't he? He conceded another one this weekend too but was rescued by a minuscule offside call. He's really not that good and got torn apart by Southampton, as did Evans.

Can you imagine if Maguire had given away all those pens!
Well, there you are then. The media hype around Soyuncu and fans think he is the best CB in the league behing VVD.

Forget conceding penalties, reading this thread he made a foul and got a yellow card, and the caf has gone crazy criticising him. The foul was near the touch line nowhere near shooting distance.

romufc

Before the city game he had conceeded 1. Soyuncu overall defending has generally been really good with a couple really stand out games and a couple bad ones. Obviously my opinion Maguire has been generally ok with no outstanding games but again a couple bad performances aswell.
I just dont understand fans when they say this because Soyuncu is protected by Ndidi, we don't have an out and out DM.

We know Maguire's weakness is pace. He keeps getting isolated on counter attacks, that is to do with the team. How many times has Fred, McTominay, Lingard, Mata, Pereira lost the ball on the half way line and it is 3 v 2 against the defenders?

Ofcourse he will have poor performances, everyone has a bad day.

mancan92

I just dont understand fans when they say this because Soyuncu is protected by Ndidi, we don't have an out and out DM.

We know Maguire's weakness is pace. He keeps getting isolated on counter attacks, that is to do with the team. How many times has Fred, McTominay, Lingard, Mata, Pereira lost the ball on the half way line and it is 3 v 2 against the defenders?

Ofcourse he will have poor performances, everyone has a bad day.
As I said Maguire has had no outstanding games just the general ok to good. Soyuncu has had some top class performances as well as his 2/3 bad ones.

Based Adnan

The expectations of Maguire are much higher than Smalling or Soyuncu or Evans. Put them all side by side with the same expectations and Maguire is quite clearly the better defender.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The expectations of Maguire are much higher than Smalling or Soyuncu or Evans. Put them all side by side with the same expectations and Maguire is quite clearly the better defender.
Not true

ParksLife81

Great news about the captaincy. Hopefully by the summer he gets the right partner next to him.

criticalanalysis

That's probably also down to the fact, OGS has in part been forced to play two defensively minded or stronger midfielders in Fred/McT and Matic.

Before it was Mourinho thinking Pogba could play in a two and be the attacking fulcrum, whilst your Lingards/Matas/Rooneys was playing like second strikers leaving the middle completely vacant.

Overall though Maguire he has contributed well, there's no denying that.

Paul_Scholes18

Stats can trick you from the overall picture. Often we have conceded one goal too many in games and not got the results.
Points gained is the key and we have not improved in that area from our previous years and is doing worse.

I think Maguire has been alright, but as a team we have got worse with him in terms of the results and we rarely gets any clean sheet too.

criticalanalysis

Stats can trick you from the overall picture. Often we have conceded one goal too many in games and not got the results.
Points gained is the key and we have not improved in that area from our previous years and is doing worse.

I think Maguire has been alright, but as a team we have got worse with him in terms of the results and we rarely gets any clean sheet too.
Are you saying we've been worse due to him playing?!

The whole team has been sh|t and that's on OGS and the players. Unfair to single him out.

Web of Bissaka

That tweet is like making a meal - implying Mag is the biggest reason why, his leadership and all.

No doubt Mag play a part yes - his better fitness and "stability" than our other 4 hectic injury prone CBs.
But also these:
  • AWB on the right.
  • Two CMs good at support defending, playing in Pogba's injury absence.
  • More emphasis on possession play compare to Mou era (which is more counter attack and inviting pressure thus more shots attempts) - lesser time and chances for opposing team to attack, plus similar to LVG 2nd season, opposing teams tend to let us hog the ball usually pointlessly while they countered hard with good finishing yet less shots.
  • More high pressing compare to Mou era, it helps defense better.
  • Good understanding between our two starter CBs, who also importantly can keep themselves available - this is often underrated, but consistent CB partnership is always crucial.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Perfect time for Captain Maguire to open his account today.

Paul_Scholes18

Are you saying we've been worse due to him playing?!

The whole team has been sh|t and that's on OGS and the players. Unfair to single him out.
No I am not blaming him. Just that us having less shoots against us when teams are beating us doesn't really matter much about the quality of our defending.
Often if teams have a good result against you they will attack you less. That has often been the case for us this season.
We have defended very well in some games like against Liverpool and City, but also poorly in other games.

I think our summer window and Ole as a coach is the main reasons why we are not getting that many wins and why we struggle. Don't think any individuals have let us down that much beyond certain games. De Gea maybe, but not as much as last season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not content with being rubbish in defence, Maguire decided he should probably go forward and hinder our attacks by being a playmaker for some bizarre reason... Get in the box and on the last man for feck sake!!

el3mel

Got dominated in the air in his own box and is useless whenever the ball falls to him from our corners.

Superunknown

I'm not convinced by him at all yet. Were there really no other high quality options out there for a similar sort of value? That moment in the second half where he got done on the halfway line was just plain embarrassing.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Got held by Gomez for the goal.. I know people hate him for some strange reason but he wasn’t the issue today.

justboy68

Nothing against him but can't help but think that 80 million would have been nice to have elsewhere. He's the type of player you'd happily keep around if he came through the academy. Not sure why we were so desperate to buy him though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have seen so many similar English CBs over the years it's absolutely ridiculous that some people hold him so high. Just another average defender who actually has many weak points from modern football point of view that cost us in our play.

Not content with being rubbish in defence, Maguire decided he should probably go forward and hinder our attacks by being a playmaker for some bizarre reason... Get in the box and on the last man for feck sake!!
Steve Me moment if I ever saw one, giving him an armband has turned his head by the looks of it. Not only we have to watch him dwelling on the ball in the defence, but he also decided he should do it more when we are chasing the goal in front of opposition box.

lsd

The Oracle
The worst transfer in our history even Bebe was better than this piece of garbage.

I'v never seen a worse defender for anywhere near that money . There is absolutely nothing about defending he is above average at

Smalling is a much defender and would have scored a few goals

SlothIsLove

Shouldn't he stay inside the box in the last minutes? We tried to put in some crosses but there was no target.
Not sure what he was trying to do in the midfield where we had enough people already.
The first goal he was blocked by Gomez, so it was not entirely on him. The problem is why we was organized like that, with no one trying to mark their biggest threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.