View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

jem

Of all the pleasant surprises, this is one I'd never expected. Well done Maguire!

jem

Really happy for him. Showing strong character. Relatively weaker opponents in SHU and Copenhagen but he is doing the basics right and getting that goal would give a massive boost. Stranger things have happened and he might just get a headed winner against City. I am all for Harry fighting for that CB spot, especially when our two preferred CB are always injured.
This is the part I love the most. We need this kind of commitment and desire across the board.

gaffs

I don't buy the narrative that he "stayed to fight for his place" because i think we all know that if United had paid him off, he would be at West Ham not.

But fair play to him for coming through the boos and jokes and being professional, despite knowing your manager doesn't want you.

With Varane made of paper mache and Licha out, he is our best CB.

RuudTom83

In a squad void of any confidence he has somehow managed to fit a little bit and his passing has returned somewhat.

Well done Harry.

Not being made of glass is another plus for him so he should get plenty of minutes over the next few months.

spiriticon

He puts Sancho to shame.

Well done to Maguire for showing me that grit and patience still exists in a modern footballer.

JediSith

Take the captaincy off Bruno, maybe he’ll improve as well.

Happy for Maguire but he’s never going to be first choice at Utd. Should still move him on if we can.
Think ETH pretty much confirmed this in his pitch side interview with Rio and Scholes. When pressed about the crap football they focused on the midfield but ETH keep referring to it being about the back 4

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Like i said in the Evans thread, felt sorry for the cbs today. They did ok but they can’t plug the gaps at both fullback side and a non existent midfield

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he was our best outfield player. Him and Evans were our only players that actually looked up for it/ has some bite and aggression to their game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Both of our center backs did alright, there's only so much you could do when basically getting no protection at all.

CallyRed

The fact that his performance thread is quiet even after a 3 nil defeat shows he did ok.

GoldanoGraham

Thought he was quite solid today apart from that bizarre header that he tried to flick away straight into Dalot - other than that he wasn’t the issue today.

ti vu

Like i said in the Evans thread, felt sorry for the cbs today. They did ok but they can’t plug the gaps at both fullback side and a non existent midfield
I don't agree. The CBs did create a different issue themselves. Maguire was not shite, but he is still a lesser issue overall. Evans especially is inexcusable . Haaland second goal is same old Maguire running backs his own playing one man defensive line. The situstion helped City create 1 vs 1 then 2 vs 2 situation dragging our supposed DM then McTominay to the right wing. This disorganization got Evans to drawn to Rodri, Lindelof stayed with his original mark Foden, leaving Haaland to ghost in far post, where as 2 vs 2 is very favorable for City players to get to the byline near post.

This theme of where one CB was out of sync of the defense was common throughout this game. The chance at 7th minute was due to Evans (as well as Lindelof) dropping too deep behind everyone to mark Haaland. The cross field pass from Rodri created 3vs 2 situation, where Lindelof closing down Walker and Evans got dragged out of his defensive zone meant Foden was free. You may point at Rashford or Amrabat for not tracking Foden. The issue here is that Foden actively moved into this pocket of space behind them. Rashford keep tracking him means he would be further out of position (Walker in normal circumstance would be Rashford's mark). Thatut of sync position by the CB mean Lindelof/LB position would be in no man land, while his helpers DM and left wing attacker would need to be great reader of the game, to have a chance to prevent such dangerous attack play from City. As it played out, they couldn't make good decision after awful mistake by Evans and Lindelof to drop that deep.

Or the Haaland 1 v1 chance. The defensive line was way deeper than which seen in high pressing team , which we tried to do at this point of the game. Then awful man marking job by Evans where he drawn toward ball carrier thus allowed Haaland straight forward attacking run through middle of our goal.

Third goal is straight forward inexcusable on Evans part. Again dropped deep behind everyone to mark Haaland, then went to sleep for the rebound after Onana save.

It's on ETH for tactic and selection, but for the supposed experienced CBs, Evans especially didn't make a case for himself to absolve the responsibility for this awful defensive display.

jesperjaap

He has been decent the last three games, but this is something that baffles me. He has generally been absolte shite for 3/4years yet plays well for three games and he gets loads of praise, talk of turning a corner, being a good player that just needed a bit of form and belief etc tc.

Could pt the exact above comment at so many of or players....these are international players, why is it praise worthy that internationak players earnign a fortune that have been garbage maority of the time here get loads of these types of comments when they play well for 3/4 games two or three times a season, statistically it shold always happen.

I actually think Maguire is one of the better players here, never an £80m players, wasnt the right signing and has been dreadfl, bt he is a adecent cb....there are several others who really arent anything above bang average Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay to name a few, all came throgh nder Morinho and thats a long time ago....yet they are all still here and even worse all playing regularly.

Magire has been decent but he wont get my praise for turning a corner until he puts a proper period of performances together liek SHaw has for example

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

At least we have a modern GK, midfielders and attackers. Modern is the way to go folks.
This is his thread so not the place to talk about other players. I don’t have a problem with him but saying he should start for us means accepting the fact that we have finally become a mid table club. No way any of the European top 20 teams would do that.

edgecutter

City sign players like Gvardiol and we stump up 80 million for Maguire. Make it make sense

Oranges038

I don't agree. The CBs did create a different issue themselves. Maguire was not shite, but he is still a lesser issue overall. Evans especially is inexcusable . Haaland second goal is same old Maguire running backs his own playing one man defensive line. The situstion helped City create 1 vs 1 then 2 vs 2 situation dragging our supposed DM then McTominay to the right wing. This disorganization got Evans to drawn to Rodri, Lindelof stayed with his original mark Foden, leaving Haaland to ghost in far post, where as 2 vs 2 is very favorable for City players to get to the byline near post.

This theme of where one CB was out of sync of the defense was common throughout this game. The chance at 7th minute was due to Evans (as well as Lindelof) dropping too deep behind everyone to mark Haaland. The cross field pass from Rodri created 3vs 2 situation, where Lindelof closing down Walker and Evans got dragged out of his defensive zone meant Foden was free. You may point at Rashford or Amrabat for not tracking Foden. The issue here is that Foden actively moved into this pocket of space behind them. Rashford keep tracking him means he would be further out of position (Walker in normal circumstance would be Rashford's mark). Thatut of sync position by the CB mean Lindelof/LB position would be in no man land, while his helpers DM and left wing attacker would need to be great reader of the game, to have a chance to prevent such dangerous attack play from City. As it played out, they couldn't make good decision after awful mistake by Evans and Lindelof to drop that deep.

Or the Haaland 1 v1 chance. The defensive line was way deeper than which seen in high pressing team , which we tried to do at this point of the game. Then awful man marking job by Evans where he drawn toward ball carrier thus allowed Haaland straight forward attacking run through middle of our goal.

Third goal is straight forward inexcusable on Evans part. Again dropped deep behind everyone to mark Haaland, then went to sleep for the rebound after Onana save.

It's on ETH for tactic and selection, but for the supposed experienced CBs, Evans especially didn't make a case for himself to absolve the responsibility for this awful defensive display.
What you're describing there is pretty much how Craig Dawson dealt with Haaland a few weeks ago, he singled him out and just stuck to him at every opportunity even dropping off to give himself a few yards on him at times. It worked for him he was praised for it. Dawson however is a few years younger and has a bit more spring in his step than Evans so he's a bit faster across the ground. Evans definitely lost him a few times and he paid for it with goals.

Kostov

This is his thread so not the place to talk about other players. I don’t have a problem with him but saying he should start for us means accepting the fact that we have finally become a mid table club. No way any of the European top 20 teams would do that.
I didn’t say he should start, and being “modern” is one of the biggest crap paddled on this forum. It’s also the least of our problems. There are good enough and not good enough players and that’s it. Maguire was never good enough to lead a defense at Manchester United, but you didn’t say that, you said he is not modern enough.

spiriticon

He did ok, but did anyone expect him to make an impact on stopping City even in good form? Not really.

This is his maximum level.

jem

I've been happy to see him play well lately, but this kind of valedictorian lap he had been on after a handful of good games kind of sums up a lot of what's wrong with United.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I didn’t say he should start, and being “modern” is one of the biggest crap paddled on this forum. It’s also the least of our problems. There are good enough and not good enough players and that’s it. Maguire was never good enough to lead a defense at Manchester United, but you didn’t say that, you said he is not modern enough.
I believe this is too simple. Modern for me is just a word to describe that football has changed and the teams hoping to challenge for the biggest titles cannot afford to have players like Maguire in the team anymore.
At least we agree he is not good enough for us.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Standard good Maguire performance when he doesn't make a mistake.
Defends good in deep, holds on to the ball for too long when passing out the back. He's never gonna move the ball quicker so it is what it is.

ti vu

What you're describing there is pretty much how Craig Dawson dealt with Haaland a few weeks ago, he singled him out and just stuck to him at every opportunity even dropping off to give himself a few yards on him at times. It worked for him he was praised for it. Dawson however is a few years younger and has a bit more spring in his step than Evans so he's a bit faster across the ground. Evans definitely lost him a few times and he paid for it with goals.
Dropping behind the striker himself is all good. The issue is the defensive unit, and the team as a whole was out of sync with this action. Last season the FA Cup final, and our 2-1 victory against City, ETH used man marking tactic on Haaland too. However, the marker (Shaw, Varane) just didn't randomly drop behind our own defensive line and create this 1 man offside line (playing everybody onside). This becomes schoolboy mistake.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Win percentage no longer looking ridiculous is it?

As others have said, against any good teams all his flaws get put on horrible show. Tonight he was terrible in possession, simply wouldn't go forward unless he had space to ping a long diagonal. Made it easy for Newcastle to clog up the middle of the pitch and make it tough to play through. As for his defending...so flat footed. Easily beaten in the channels. Recipe for disaster.

ti vu

While there are many things wrong with our team in the first goal, but Maguire deserved his share of blame by again uncoordinatedly backpedaling alone and creating space for opposition. Defending high without properly utilizing offside trap is suicidal.

I am not talking with hindsight. I mentioned this about weekend game with Evans being the bigger culprit. I used to talk about Maguire inability to properly play in a high defensive line too.

Last edited:

Suedesi

Diabolical. Slow and ponderous. His first instinct when the oppo has the ball is to panic and retreat. His second instinct is to make a rash challenge.