Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It changes the initial interaction, certainly...where the first punch was apparently thrown at a policeman. It goes a long way to explaining why the police seemed lenient in allowing Maguire's group to follow them to the station in a taxi, rather than formally arresting them after that.

After that though, you've still got the alleged confontation that happened when they arrived at the station - running from the cops, the 'kicking and punching' that followed when they were caught, and finally the alleged bribe.

Weird situation. Goes without saying that it's something we could definitely have done without so close to the new season. I seem to be in an increasing minority recently, but I think Maguire's had a pretty good first season for us.
I think he had a good first season at the club too, so I guess we're both in the minority.

In any case, I hope the situation isn't as bad as first feared. Maguire appears to be a good guy and a natural leader of men, which probably went a long way to earning the captaincy role. It will be a real shame if the allegations against him turn out to be true.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As an American, I’m interested to see what the “assault” on the officer looks like. I don’t know how they do it in Greece, but here in the USA, cops can beat you with a baton for standing in the wrong place. Raising your hands in self defense to protect your head is an act of aggression.
I'd be enormously surprised if if it was in the same galaxy as that. And even if he'd have been in the US and done that, his celebrity status would ensure your (commiserations) insane system of state violence wouldn't apply to him.

I don't think Greek authorities would be holding him for so long if it was absolutely minuscule (let alone self-defense).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm still holding out hope that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reassuring to hear that he wasn't the one behind the alleged bribe.
Sounds like he wasn’t stupid enough to offer the bribe himself and got one of his companions to do so on the groups behalf.
Also news that the first police altercation was with plain clothes cops may help lesson the first charges of resisting arrest. He may be able to squirm out of this, with the other two taking on some flack on his behalf.

RoyH1

I hope this goes away soon. Cannot have this distraction hanging over the season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So our club captain is being detained for a second night, whilst his supposedly washed up predecessor was playing in a European cup final that we fell short of reaching.

Brophs

The One and Only
If Lindelof is any sort of defensive partner, he's sat in a tattoo parlour right now with an overnight flight to Greece booked, ready to do a Michael Schofield.
In that analogy, Harry Maguire is Linc, who I would say, conservatively, spent 30% of every show kicking people in the face. Clearly no cnut had ever taught him how to fight properly, so he just toe poked them in the mush and leaves it at that. So yeah, the Maguire analogy tracks, I guess.

Castia

Just read he’s locked up for a second night....some serious shit is going down here.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
So not only are we making zero inroads in the market this summer, one of the few decent signings in recent years is doing his best to rule himself out for the beginning of next season.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I'm surprised with some of the excuses some are coming up with for him. Imagine if this happened to Rooney while he was our captain, Rooney getting drunk involved in a fight attacking police attempting a bribe being arrested and spending two nights in a police station..
He would have been slaughtered.

I'm surprised with some of the excuses some are coming up with for him. Imagine if this happened to Rooney while he was our captain, Rooney getting drunk involved in a fight attacking police attempting a bribe being arrested and spending two nights in a police station..
No one is making excuses, but let’s wait until we get some credible information before we throw him to the lions? Do you not think?

Womp

idiot
Starting with being knocked out of the Europa league to the Sancho deal falling through, to other teams strengthening while we aren't even properly linked to anyone, to our club captain and best defender being thrown in prison. We really need some positive fecking news

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hahaha we don’t know anything yet!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Without doubt, absolutely slaughtered

Denis79

So secret police are now being deployed to sort out minor scuffles? :)
I have no idea what mandate Greek police have but when I worked as a police officer the same duty applied in uniform as without. If I saw a crime being commited I had to intervene, even if i was off duty. Maybe the 'secret police' was a police officer on his free time.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Without doubt, absolutely slaughtered
Something similar happened to Keane. Not only did the fans not seem to give a feck but the furore died down pretty quickly. Although the net wasn't what it is now, so we didn't have to suffer whiny, faux-outraged keyboard warriors jumping to conclusions and hammering their own players over limited information.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No one is making excuses, but let’s wait until we get some credible information before we throw him to the lions? Do you not think?
Wouldn't be hearing that if this was Rooney. He'd be crucified. Beside, credible information? There is an official police statement, Greece isnt some third world country. He has been arrested and an official police statement has been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.